Everybody Stay Calm

Swedish_Plumber

I've absolutely no idea. I wanted Pochettino, but he's no longer an option.

I can outline the characteristics I would look for, but not give a name. Unlikely myself, United are supposed to have people to should be able to focus full time on identifying the right man to take us forward.
Yeah a lot of us on here would not have minded Poch. That’s my fear though, we call for Ole to go and there aren’t a lot of suitable candidates out there. Rodgers probably looks the most likely if that time comes.
We need someone coming in who can transition smoothly and not have a completely new style that needs multiple transfer windows again. It’s already close to a decade since the last title, that can easily creep to 15/20 years if we continue to switch managers without a plan. And let’s face it, the board aren’t exactly wonderful decision makers!

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm really tired of people using points in a season as a way or comparing to the past. The PL is a vastly different league than it was 10 or 15 years ago, with much more parity within the mid and bottom table teams because of the influx of cash and gradual innovation in tactics.

The bottom line is we are clearly on a different level than we were a couple years ago, and even above the team that finished 2nd under Mourinho. The flaws in the team are clear, and now it is up to Ole and the board to see to it to improve on those flaws over the summer. We MUST get a commanding CB in that doesn't need to have a certain "partner" next to them, and likewise we MUST get a DM that doesn't need to be compensated for tactically or personnel wise. RW I think we'll address as well but it's clearly behind the other two positions. The spine of the team is what ensures a proper base to play the football we want to play, and we don't have options at either position that don't have glaring flaws in one way or another as currently constructed.

Amir

Brendan Rodgers should be top candidate by miles and miles. Look at his track record and success everywhere he has been. He would have our current team clear at the top of the league, of that I am convinced.
I know you're joking, but he's obviously a good manager and a decent shout. I doubt that has that extra special something, though (plus his Liverpool past makes him a no-no for me).

croadyman

I know you're joking, but he's obviously a good manager and a decent shout. I doubt that has that extra special something, though (plus his Liverpool past makes him a no-no for me).
Why did I just know that the Liverpool past would mean he gets scratched off the list

Roboc7

I'm really tired of people using points in a season as a way or comparing to the past. The PL is a vastly different league than it was 10 or 15 years ago, with much more parity within the mid and bottom table teams because of the influx of cash and gradual innovation in tactics.

The bottom line is we are clearly on a different level than we were a couple years ago, and even above the team that finished 2nd under Mourinho. The flaws in the team are clear, and now it is up to Ole and the board to see to it to improve on those flaws over the summer. We MUST get a commanding CB in that doesn't need to have a certain "partner" next to them, and likewise we MUST get a DM that doesn't need to be compensated for tactically or personnel wise. RW I think we'll address as well but it's clearly behind the other two positions. The spine of the team is what ensures a proper base to play the football we want to play, and we don't have options at either position that don't have glaring flaws in one way or another as currently constructed.
I’d say we’re clearly on same level, a top four team closer to 6th than 1st and still stuck playing simple, pragmatic football. Still chasing the couple of players that will transform us, Maguire was supposed to be the dominant CB, bought for a world record fee and now we need another one. It’s same cycle over and over.

Amir

Yeah a lot of us on here would not have minded Poch. That’s my fear though, we call for Ole to go and there aren’t a lot of suitable candidates out there. Rodgers probably looks the most likely if that time comes.
We need someone coming in who can transition smoothly and not have a completely new style that needs multiple transfer windows again. It’s already close to a decade since the last title, that can easily creep to 15/20 years if we continue to switch managers without a plan. And let’s face it, the board aren’t exactly wonderful decision makers!
Yep, I don't trust our board to make the right decision (just like they were late to sack three coaches, just like they were wrong to give Solskjaer the job permanently). But it doesn't mean I'd rather stick to something which is probably always going to be good but not great.

Basically I'll look for someone who good human qualities (Solskjaer definitely has it), who plays good, progressive football, plays young players and improves players. Nagelsmann ticks a lot of boxes, but it might be a little too early.

Amir

Why did I just know that the Liverpool past would mean he gets scratched off the list
It's difficult to avoid that, isn't it? Whenever I look at him, I remember he worked for Liverpool.

I would have been able to look the other way about it if I was certain about him. Maybe. Or not.

big rons sovereign

The wah wahs are back with a vengeance, spamming thread after thread with bitterness and entitled crap.
Waah, sack him.
Waah, get Brenton.
Waah, we drew against WBA (so did city and Liverpool)

Burner accounts with less than 20 posts in 6 years suddenly appearing in agreement with the wah wahs.
I can only imagine the rage when things were going well, they must've been apoplectic when we made top of the league, desperately crying into their giant poch pillows about coaching methods and patterns of play.

But now there's been a turn of fortunes, there was a bad defeat and a couple of draws. This is their chance, an opportunity to demand the managers head, poch has gone, and so has tuchel. But there must be someone, somebody who can lead us to the promised land?
Yes, that's it! Eddie Howe, he's the saviour we deserve. He'll save us, he's the one.
Until we draw at Norwich next season and the wah wahs will be wailing again.

Last edited:

el3mel

The wah wahs are back with a vengeance, spamming thread after thread with bitterness and entitled crap.
Waah, sack him.
Waah, get Brenton.
Waah, we drew against WBA (so did city and Liverpool)
Burner accounts with less than 20 posts in 6 years suddenly appearing in agreement with the wah wahs.
I can only imagine the rage when things were going well, they must've been apoplectic when we made top of the league, desperately crying into their giant poch pillows about coaching methods and patterns of play.
But now, there's been a turn of fortunes, there was a bad defeat and a couple of draws. This is their chance, an opportunity to demand the managers head, poch has gone, and so has tuchel. But there must be someone, somebody who can lead us to the promised land?
Yes, that's it! Eddie Howe, he's the saviour we deserve. He'll save us, he's the one.
Until we draw at Norwich next season and the wah wahs will be wailing again.
Sammsky would have been proud of this post.

shabz

We definitely need some momentum back on our sides with a tough run of fixtures coming up in the next month, facing 3 of the top 5. Yhe dropped points against Sheffield and West Brom could be vital come the end of the season.

talking robot

The top 4 race is on, and it's anyone's guess where we'll end up. We have a team of mentally weak bottlers, so I'm guessing 5th...Better to be pessimistic and pleasantly surprised than optimistic and disappointed. There are no guarantees of us finishing in the top 4, and the simulators saying we have a 75-80% of doing so are full of it imo.

Guapa

Good op.We are still building and Ole,a club legend and all round nice guy,is at the wheel,for now.
Second and a cup will equal success and progress.We then strengthen in the summer and go again.

croadyman

Yeah this is something I think we all agree on about finding a manager that means we don't need to rebuild completely again and would allow us to transition smoothly but certainly a very tricky task I will admit

cyril C

periods of transition and projects. what a godforsaken world we do live in.
isn't this what Liverpool fan went through past 2 decades, and still going? And Arsenal? Chelsea probably have many mini-projects as a new manager every 2.5 years is somehow defying gravity.

OrcaFat

The guys who make the calls are calmness personified. All good.

tomaldinho1

How is this logical? Season is not over and that team won EL and League cup (although the latter is worthless) and then got 2nd in the league the next season. Compare the style of football, sure, but that team is still the most successful post SAF team by some margin and I say that through gritted teeth as I hate Mou's style.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I agree with the OP. We expect too much. It was always going to take time to get back to the top after SAF left us with a squad in decline and I reckon that we’re about half way there. Keep hold of Ole, keep improving and in 4 or 5 seasons, with a fair wind, we’ll be back truly competing.
4 or 5 seasons? Half of this squad will be 30+ then so we will need new players then. So 4 or 5 seasons more then?

Manoucha09

If you're Ole out, you're Ole out. I respect that opinion. I just don't feel it very productive to be losing our minds over Ole right now. I think our squad suffer from a lack of belief and I can hardly blame them when our fanbase have no faith in them.
Great thread. Much needed positivity and agree with almost all of what you say.

I do wonder, however, how much of an impact our fanbase actually have on the players at the moment? Do they actively go through social media and believe what they read or just take it with a pinch of salt (obviously not talking about the racism)? I'd have thought match-day fans would have the biggest impact and they're not there atm.

I also wonder how much confidence they're getting from their coaching staff. We'll never know what actually goes on behind the scene, but a few of our players are definitely playing within themselves. We've seen that Ole is great at man-management and some have improved under him (Shaw, Fred, McTominay and Greenwood - just missing the goals), but he's got himself a challenge with players like Martial and VDB. It will be interesting to see how he deals with these challenges - I think some fail to realise we're still a work in progress and so these dips are bound to happen.

And Ole was certainly not helped by the Pogba incident earlier in the season. As good a player as he is, I really want Pogba sold. I feel Ole dealt with his situation well but he has to go.

I for one am enjoying Ole as our manager. He may not be perfect, but he's definitely showing signs of improvement and that he's willing to adapt. Hope we can end the season with two trophies and a top 2 finish.

GoldTrafford99

Are they improving enough, though? I mean we could end second with only a six-point improvement this season. I can't help but think most of the 'improvement' comes from the collapse of the opposition.

2016/17 - 76 points need for top four (86 needed for second)

2017/18 - 75 points needed for top four (81 needed for second)

2018/19 - 66 points (6th) - 71 points needed for top four (97 needed for second)

2019/20 - 66 points (3rd) - 66 points needed for top four (81 needed for second)

2020/21 (Extrapolated) - 72 points (2nd) - 63 points needed for top four (72 needed for second)

Is it only me that sees a pattern here? Despite only gaining 6 points, we jump from 6th to 2nd. How much of that is actually due to us? Or is it actually that we are being made to look better due to failing opposition?

People have compared him to Klopp, but he made a 16 point improvement in his second season, from 60 points to 76 with no major collapse from competitors. In fact, the threshold for the top four went up from 66 points in 15/16 to 76 in 16/17. And still, he managed to get top four with Liverpool.

Honestly, I don't think what we are doing is enough. We are relying too much on the opposition remaining weak, but it may not always be that way. Are you confident that we can sustain our position if the opposition improve? I'm not.
None of that makes sense.

Who the hell was your math teacher in school? Sack her.

Valencia Shin Crosses

How is this logical? Season is not over and that team won EL and League cup (although the latter is worthless) and then got 2nd in the league the next season. Compare the style of football, sure, but that team is still the most successful post SAF team by some margin and I say that through gritted teeth as I hate Mou's style.
Because I don't evaluate a team based just on cup success, as knockout competitions have a lot of variance. And that team that finished 2nd did it largely on the back of an all-time season from DDG while struggling to go against any top team and instead played similar to the way Spurs do now. Our results against top teams this year have been largely crap (a huge difference from previous years) but our approach and competitiveness in the majority of these games has been quite different. We press high and attempt to play in the midfield these days, instead of going into a shell. We dominated PSG in Paris and RB Leipzig at OT in games that didn't just involve us taking the couple of chances we had.

I never said this team is the most "successful", but the gap between our team and how we have to play to reach the top tier of Europe is significantly less than it was to that 2nd place team. People around here would be singing a largely different tune I suspect if we had at least one of our young forwards in form alongside Cavani this season.

OrcaFat

Because I don't evaluate a team based just on cup success, as knockout competitions have a lot of variance. And that team that finished 2nd did it largely on the back of an all-time season from DDG while struggling to go against any top team and instead played similar to the way Spurs do now. Our results against top teams this year have been largely crap (a huge difference from previous years) but our approach and competitiveness in the majority of these games has been quite different. We press high and attempt to play in the midfield these days, instead of going into a shell. We dominated PSG in Paris and RB Leipzig at OT in games that didn't just involve us taking the couple of chances we had.

I never said this team is the most "successful", but the gap between our team and how we have to play to reach the top tier of Europe is significantly less than it was to that 2nd place team. People around here would be singing a largely different tune I suspect if we had at least one of our young forwards in form alongside Cavani this season.
Good post.

tomaldinho1

This is completely illogical. You are discounting cups because of variance (EL is a decent enough trophy so I think that's harsh) but happy to credit DDG's individual brilliance under Mou whilst surely being aware of how reliant we are Bruno under Ole? We have been worse in big games (versus big 6 has been woeful this season) but you think we have been better? You are referencing 2 CL wins which were great but were ages ago and then we lost both return fixtures including Ole's awful 5 at the back versus a Leipzig team we already knew we could beat comfortably. You can't cherry pick games to show progress, you have to look at the wider trends and xG, as an example, is a worrying read for United fans.

I agree that Ole is more exciting and more attacking than Mou but, by all metrics bar style, Mou's team has been the 'best' United team post SAF. I loathe Mou but you have to be unbiased in these things and to suggest this current United team is a step above is factually incorrect (unless you are talking about style of play). Hopefully by the end of the season it is more debatable.

Yorke to Cole

I must admit, I am concerned about the top 4 positions. Remember, Leicester beat Southampton 9-0 last season and finished outside the top 4 in spite of being second and third for a lot of the season.. I hope we can find some inspiration from somewhere and start performing as a team and relying on Fernandes or other individuals. I would really like to Van De Beek gain some confidence and prove to be an option to give us more depth.