Evra’s Instagram post

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Irwin's Instagram was better than Evra's.

Bestietom

I love Irwin, one of my favourite United players and really consistently but, in 93/94(?) against Barca at the Nou Camp Stoichkov absolutely ran him ragged that game, at one point Irwin had 10 yards on him and was going full pelt and Stoichkov made him look like he was running backwards.
I do remember that game and it wasn't as bad as you say, but everyone has 1 or 2 bad games. Remember when he came here he was a RB and then converted to the left. He always got a high rating over the season.

Scotty McT

Yeah, Sir Alex said it was 8.
I doubt he said Irwin delivered a minimum 8/10 performance in every game or actually believed it.

We were on the receiving end of some maulings in the 90s against the likes of Barcelona, Chelsea, and Newcastle, so I really doubt that he would have given the entire team the hairdryer treatment except for Irwin who he kept to the side thanked for giving another 8/10 performance.

Such hyperbole isn't helpful when debating who the better player was. If he delivered a minimum 8/10 performance every game he'd be regarded as one of the all time footballing greats.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I do think Irwin is a little overrated on here. Of course, by overrated I simply mean that he wasn't comfortably better than Evra which many seem to be saying. I would say Evra's peak 3 years were probably better than Irwin's, but Irwin perhaps was at his best for longer. The league was nowhere near as strong in Irwin's day, quite a bit behind some of the other european leagues. Whereas during Evra's time it was the strongest league in the world, and Evra had a three year period where he was almost undisputedly the best leftback in the world. Irwin never reached that level. Obviously he had some greats of the game playing at the same time (particularly in Italy) so it was more difficult, but Irwin was never even in the reckoning in those discussions.

Of course, if making our best 11 team we'd fit them both in by having Irwin play on the right.

TRUERED89

Exactly the point I was making....I never left a game thinking Irwin was unreal today.
Irwin scored plenty goals, loads of penalties and freekicks too. And played in an era where tackling was actually allowed! Don't know why so many disregard the PL in the 90's it was fecking epic no debate! Whats so different now? 2 teams dominating and the rest miles behind, that's always been the case. Actually we've seen more 1 horse races in the noughties than 90's.

Nikelesh Reddy

What an absolutely moronic thing to post. Undermines the manager and his staff.

Don't need another ex-player muddying waters.
Agree with this.I love Patrice,but he’s clearly out of order for putting this out at this moment.I want Ole to be sacked and I also would like to see Allegri take over,but this kind of behaviour is condemnable....

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
I am also confused. I thougt that he talks about him as as.manager and Allegri as manager but surely he would not post that while Ole is still our manager. Strange post

momo83

Massive Snowflake
If there's an ounce of truth in that then I expect another Instagram post from Evra if we lose to Liverpool, hinting at "helping" the club.

Genuinely think the likes of Rio and Neville, though sometimes wrong and eager to jump on the hype, care a lot more than the club than others who are looking at the current state of the club as an opportunity to milk some more money out of us.
Actually.. I don’t think it’s true because I don’t think Evra would undermine our current manager in such a disrespectful way and if he did I would not want him to as part of future coaching set-up. But don’t get me wrong I think Ole is the worse manager in the premier league, completely out of his depth, but still there’s something’s you don’t do.

momo83

Massive Snowflake
I met many United former and present players in my time. Gaz, Phil, Becks, Scholes, Giggs, Van Gouw, Yorke, Pogba, Jesse, Sir Bobby, Best, Robson etc. However Irwin was by far the most intelligent person I've met bar Sir Alex of course. His knowledge about tactics and the attention to detail is astounding. Many of these players tend to rely on the usual cliques during interviews but not Denis. He went into the little details and his argument was coherent, it made absolute sense and it reflected not only great tactical awareness but also an ability to fully comprehend how football has changed since his time. The guy makes the pundits on sky look like tactical dinosaurs.

Its fascinating how this guy has never gone into management or at least coaching.
like Gary Neville has shown. Understanding and analysing the fans are too different things. In the older stays specially it’s arguable that less intelligent but more boisterous and loud people like say Sam Allerdyce would make better managers then more intelligent and knowledgeable people, to some extent that’s still the case. Like in anything those that are followed and listened too are rarely the most intelligent, usually charisma, and other skills influence people more.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
By today's standards, he was. In fact, he rarely ventured further than the half way line. On the rare occasions he did, he had the propensity to cut inside to have an (usually poor) effort on goal rather than try to influence the play from out wide. When he wasn't shooting, he almost always made the right decision in terms of pass. Very good with free kicks, mind.
This is a really poor post. To put it in perspective Cafu, a legendary attacking full back scored 12 career goals. Denis Irwin scored 33. By any measure, he was not poor going forwards. And he, evidently, crossed the half way line quite a lot.

TRUERED89

By today's standards, he was. In fact, he rarely ventured further than the half way line. On the rare occasions he did, he had the propensity to cut inside to have an (usually poor) effort on goal rather than try to influence the play from out wide. When he wasn't shooting, he almost always made the right decision in terms of pass. Very good with free kicks, mind.
Wowwwwww have you ever watched him ? Blimey

Rendezvous with Ronaldo

Supports
Hartlepool
This is a really poor post. To put it in perspective Cafu, a legendary attacking full back scored 12 career goals. Denis Irwin scored 33. By any measure, he was not poor going forwards. And he, evidently, crossed the half way line quite a lot.
Wowwwwww have you ever watched him ? Blimey
I've previously stated Irwin's ser-piece proficency - but otherwise for consistent attacking prowess, once again, show some proof please. Because what I diagnose here is a major case of nostalgia delusion.

As I've stated before, in the uncommon occurance he passed the half-way line in open play, his modus operandi was to cut inside his winger, and if getting the ball to have a poor shot on goal.

You want to state otherwise, provide some goddamn proof or stop whining and face reality. Again, youtube has a plethora of clips, there should be no problem. Or do you not remember any specific matches from Irwin's long and genuinely wonderful career where he does what you believe?

Last edited:

Dominant

I've previously stated Irwin's ser-piece proficency - but otherwise for consistent attacking prowess, once again, show some proof please. Because what I diagnose here is a major case of nostalgia delusion.

As I've stated before, in the uncommon occurance he passed the half-way line in open play, his modus operandi was to cut inside his winger, and if getting the ball to have a poor shot on goal.

You want to state otherwise, provide some goddamn proof or stop whining and face reality. Again, youtube has a plethora of clips, there should be no problem. Or do you not remember any specific matches from Irwin's long and genuinely wonderful career where he does what you believe?
you want proof? Just go check out our 92/93 & 93/94 highlights.

denis irwin not going pass the halfway line often is genuinely one of the stupidest comment I have come across on this forum. Seriously, please. If you have never watched him played live, just shut the feck up.