Evra accuses Suarez of racist remarks | Suarez guilty of racial abuse

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
A LIVERPOOL FC fan racially abused Manchester United captain Patrice Evra and branded disabled supporters “spastics”, a court heard.

Dad-of-five Phillip Gannon, 58, was accused of making “monkey” impressions and referring to the French defender as a “little black s***” when the Reds played United in January.

The tense FA Cup tie was the first time the rival sides had met following Luis Suarez’s ban for racially abusing Evra.

Liverpool magistrates court yesterday heard how Gannon, from Barmouth, North Wales, was seen on television allegedly making a “monkey gesture”.

He was arrested at home after an image of him with his hands under his arms spread on Twitter.

Gannon claims he was doing an impression of “Neanderthal” United fans.

Prosecution witnesses who were sat near Gannon in the Centenary Stand told how he was abusive throughout the match.

Reds fan David Maguire said he twice told him to be quiet.

The season-ticket holder said Evra was 10 yards from their seats when he heard Gannon make a racial slur in French, a claim he denies.

Mr Maguire said: “He said words to the effect of ‘tu es petit noir homme merde’ which is bad French, grammatically not right. I took the three words together ‘little black s***’.

“That was directed at Patrice Evra.”

Season-ticket holder John Inman was at the game with his son Sam, 20. He said he heard Gannon refer to the Munich air disaster, where seven United players died, and call their fans “pikey *****”.

While none of the witnesses saw the alleged monkey gesture captured by cameras, Sam Inman told the court he saw Gannon do similar close to the final whistle.

He said: “I was shocked. He was celebrating [the win] but antagonising the United fans.”

Mr Inman also claimed Gannon shouted abuse towards disabled football fans.

He said: “Towards the disabled fans he shouted ‘f*** you, you spastic mutants’ and that shocked me more than anything else.”

Gannon, who denies two public order offences, said he did not use the word “spastic” and said he did not realise that “pikey” was a racial slur.

He said: “I only shouted towards the Manchester United fans after they were giving us abuse about Hillsborough.

“I called them ‘pikey’ and said ‘get back in your caves’, that sort of thing.”

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/2012...g-patrice-evra-100252-31235204/#ixzz1yYDKYRCj

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
People turn into idiots at football matches. Although he could be just an idiot period. He managed to be racist, insult disabled fans and do Munich shite all at the same time.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
People turn into idiots at football matches.
We're all smiles
then, honest, I swear
it's the turnstiles
that make us hostile.

We will descend
on anyone unable to defend
themselves.

And the songs we sing
they're not supposed
to mean a thing.

Personally I think they are idiots who just needed the right stage to show their abilities.

Sally Cinnamon

We're all smiles
then, honest, I swear
it's the turnstiles
that make us hostile.

We will descend
themselves.

And the songs we sing
they're not supposed
to mean a thing.

Personally I think they are idiots who just needed the right stage to show their abilities.
Mob mentality.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I reckon it's partly the anonymous aspect too, much seen on the internet to a higher degree. An individual is a lot more anonymous in amongst all the shouting at a football game than he would be anywhere else.

Lastwolf

Towards the travelling community, sure it is.

It's not as potent as some others, but when you refer to someone as a pikey and you're doing so in a derogatory manner towards a particular 'racial' group, therefore it's a racial slur.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
We're all smiles
then, honest, I swear
it's the turnstiles
that make us hostile.

We will descend
themselves.

And the songs we sing
they're not supposed
to mean a thing.

Love that album. God bless Mick Ronson.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Oh, so gypos are a race now are they
The UN International Convention of Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (1969) defines racial discrimination as follows:

"Any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life".

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Aye, a cracker. It was a return to form after the good in spots but overall wishy washy 'Kill Uncle'.
Followed it up with "Vauxhall and I" as well. Great stuff. But can't think of a football reference on that one.

Zen86

The UN International Convention of Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination (1969) defines racial discrimination as follows:

"Any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life".
Well, surely that suggests that all nationalities are races also.

sparky

There are around 300,000 Gypsy Roma and Irish Travellers in the UK – Roma Gypsies are originally from northern India, whereas Travellers are of Irish origin – and both groups are nomadic. Since 2002, Travellers have been recognised as an ethnic group and are protected under the Race Relations Act.

I copied that from an article in The Guardian, but it does show how ignorant we can be. I include myself in that, my Parents always called all travellers gyppos or pikeys and the assumption was that they were Irish.

204Red

Towards the travelling community, sure it is.

It's not as potent as some others, but when you refer to someone as a pikey and you're doing so in a derogatory manner towards a particular 'racial' group, therefore it's a racial slur.
What about "hippies"... is that a racist slur?

Damn hippies