Evra accuses Suarez of racist remarks | Suarez guilty of racial abuse

Waltraute

She-Devil
What's "why racism will never get kicked out of football"?

An unwillingness to convict on the word of the victim alone?

Racism is disgusting, yes, but as a society we'll have much bigger problems if we start to 'convict' on the basis of a victim's complaint alone.
First of all, Evra isn't a victim.

Then ask yourself -- what is his incentive to accuse Suarez of racism if a racist slur wasn't thrown in his face?
What the hell is his incentive?

And how could anyone ever be punished for racism, if everyone is going to disregard the person addressed; his/her team mates; the supporters?

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Surely if it was as frequent as Evra says he should have made a huge deal there and then. If I was offended by someone using my nationality or ethnicity in a pejorative manner, by the 10th time I'd not just accept it at the time. I'd have gone postal by the 10th time.

It is surely true if he has gone public, but there is the danger of this backfiring after the Chelsea incident and the Steve Finnan incident if nowt is done.
Assuming at least some of it happened at the corner where Marriner dragged them out Evra did make a huge deal out of it. He was absolutely livid and kept complaining which is why he got booked. What more can he do then?

holdsteady

Hates Sir Alex Ferguson
It's the kind of thing Suarez does, there in the clip from 1:20.

Two weeks ago he was crying about thrown coins before he played the corner quick while everyone was confused.

Can imagine him calling Paddy a nigger and just as he's about to respond he runs off.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Assuming at least some of it happened at the corner where Marriner dragged them out Evra did make a huge deal out of it. He was absolutely livid and kept complaining which is why he got booked. What more can he do then?
Are we now saying he got booked for reporting racial abuse?

IanDangerously

Exactly. I thought at the time Evra's reaction after the corner was very uncharacteristic for him, I guess now we know why.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
There's no reason not to believe Patrice. I mean, he's come across tough opponents before and there's been no mention of racism. Suarez dives, pulled one of our players hair (think it was one of the da silvas) last season to get a reaction and he probably did say something to try to provoke a reaction.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke

Then ask yourself -- what is his incentive to accuse Suarez of racism if a racist slur wasn't thrown in his face?
"What motive does Evra have" is not a valid proof to label someone a racist though.

Lets see what comes out in the next few days. If Evra says that he did it 10-11 times then there should be a proof somewhere.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Suarez being the snake he is probably knew when to say it to him ie. when the ball & all the action was up the other end of the pitch.
C'mon now, nothing is certain in this. We just have to sit and wait, Evra might not be able to prove it. It's a very serious accusation though and I'd like to know when Evra gave this interview, was it in the aftermath of the game when emotions might have been a bit high or did he have a few hours to think before he revealed it.

I don't know man, I trust Evra but in my heart I'd like to think such things don't happen in football now. Suarez is innocent until proven guilty but I can't imagine Evra would fabricate such a thing.

Feeky Magee

keen violinist
'fordy87' on RAWK has claimed that Evra has accused 3 people before of racism, and "all turned out to be innocent".

:lol:

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Are we now saying he got booked for reporting racial abuse?
No, I'm saying he was booked for persistent complaining. Marriner couldn't do much else really, given that he hadn't heard it, could he? Like he'd book a player for complaining about a foul he hadn't seen.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
"What motive does Evra have" is not a valid proof to label someone a racist though.
I don't think Evra called him a racist though. I think he said Suarez tried to provoke him into a reaction by using a racist word.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I was bemused when I opened that article, I have to say, when Evra is reporting racism from the country to which he can trace his routes. Here was me thinking he had blamed somebody in the premier league and been wrong before. My bemusement continues, it's increasing in intensity, I'm going to take lots of aspirin.

Brophs

The One and Only

And how could anyone ever be punished for racism, if everyone is going to disregard the person addressed; his/her team mates; the supporters?
The use of the word 'victim' and 'convict' was, I thought, a fairly transparent nod to the law in terms of punishing someone for their behaviour. It was really the least important thing I said.

As for his incentive, there is none that I'm aware of, but you've got it completely backward if you think that the absence of motive for the complaint is enough to put the onus on the Defendant to explain away a hypothetical question like that, let alone to try to impute some sort of knowledge as to the 'victim's' state of mind.

As for the last line, we only know so far what Evra has said. If there were corroborating witnesses I'm sure he will be punished. Which is only right. But as of now I don't see anyone being ignored nor do I believe they would be if their account(s) matched that of Evra.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Mike, shut up.

From 1:20 it's obvious Suarez is saying things to him that's making Evra lose focus and he's finding it hard to concentrate later.

I would like to know what Evra is telling the ref at 1:46 and he's finding it hard to concentrate later.

Look at the look at 2:11, it's as if Evra can't belive the audacity of whatever has been said.

Either way I hope Suarez gets stomped in the nuts.
The video doesn't really show much other than two players antagonizing each other.

The Black Pearl

Hurling Man of the Land
C'mon now, nothing is certain in this. We just have to sit and wait, Evra might not be able to prove it. It's a very serious accusation though and I'd like to know when Evra gave this interview, was it in the aftermath of the game when emotions might have been a bit high or did he have a few hours to think before he revealed it. I don't know man, I trust Evra but in my heart I'd like to think such things don't happen in football now. Suarez is innocent until proven guilty but I can't imagine Evra would fabricate such a thing.
Isn't that more or less what i was saying. Suarez is a sneaky cnut & probably chose his times when to say it to Evra ie. when he knew no cameras would be on them or the action was up the far end of the pitch. My guess is that since Evra claimed it was said to him 10 times that thats exactly what happened. I don't doubt Evra at all.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
No, I'm saying he was booked for persistent complaining. Marriner couldn't do much else really, given that he hadn't heard it, could he? Like he'd book a player for complaining about a foul he hadn't seen.
Still I'd be amazed if that was the complaint the booking was for. Big call from the ref. I'd have thought that would be too risky, just in case the lad was telling the truth, considering what he was saying.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I know, but it will never be proven, given their criteria.
That's what makes me so angry.

Unless you're heiling when you're accepting your European Cup medal, you'll always, always get away with it.
Just need some evidence, like being caught on a microphone (see Ron Atkinson).

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Isn't that more or less what i was saying. Suarez is a sneaky cnut & probably chose his times when to say it to Evra ie. when he knew no cameras would be on them or the action was up the far end of the pitch. My guess is that since Evra claimed it was said to him 10 times that thats exactly what happened.
Yeah but how is Suarez supposed to know where each of the camera's are, chances are there are cameras on loads of things which haven't been seen on TV coverage.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Still I'd be amazed if that was the complaint the booking was for. Big call from the ref. I'd have thought that would be too risky, just in case the lad was telling the truth, considering what he was saying.
Well, what can Marriner do if Evra keeps complaining? I think Marriner talked to Evra several times during the match and he certainly had a long talk with both Evra and Suarez before the corner was taken. Apparently Evra kept complaining after the corner had been dealt with, so he got a booking. You can't just let a player complain just in case what he's saying is true - no matter what the complaint is about. Marriner obviously didn't hear it, so there's nothing he can do about it no matter how much Evra complains.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I think he's saying it with a certain level of facetiousness.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Well, what can Marriner do if Evra keeps complaining? I think Marriner talked to Evra several times during the match and he certainly had a long talk with both Evra and Suarez before the corner was taken. Apparently Evra kept complaining after the corner had been dealt with, so he got a booking. You can't just let a player complain just in case what he's saying is true - no matter what the complaint is about. Marriner obviously didn't hear it, so there's nothing he can do about it no matter how much Evra complains.
Maybe, but still a risky booking to give out, as the ref I'd talk to other players or even the manager, it's racism; different to an alleged foul IMO.

redman5

In a world of my own. People know me here.
Did you even read the link you provided you thundercnut?
Err, yeah :houllier:

Have you got an answer to my question as to why Evra seems to be the one who's targeted more than most when it comes to racism ?

Suarez plays week in, week out, against black players. Not only for club, but for his country aswell. However, I don't recall other black players accusing him of the kind of things your lad is. There were other players all within earshot of the players when Suarez is alleged to have come out with the insult. Yet surprisingly, none of them seem to have heard this word. Even more surprising when you consider he's supposed to have said it 10 times.

Wowi

Rød grød med fløde
Maybe, but still a risky booking to give out, as the ref I'd talk to other players or even the manager, it's racism; different to an alleged foul IMO.
They normally talk to the captain is situations like that, but that was Evra today. Could've talked to Rio though, I suppose. I don't think I've ever seen a ref going over to have a chat with the manager.

In severity it's different to an alleged foul, but from a referee's point of view it isn't. A player is complaining about something you haven't seen or heard, and refuses to stop. As much as I understand Evra's reaction (if this is true) I also understand that booking him was the only thing Marriner could do if Evra kept complaining.

Edmeiste

That deserves a ban pete! Unacceptable!

I dont know how any can think racist comments is something that should just be tolerated and brushed over. No matter who it is directed towards. In this day and age, it's unacceptable. In what setting is it actually acceptable?

mjs, this really happens all the time? I'd like you to elaborate. Remember when Balotelli brought up the racist remarks he received in Italy. What about the black footballers here in England that received racist taunts in the past? Obviously there's only so much you can do about it but it's good that it's been stamped out. People used to be called ape and things worse than that. If it does happen, I believe it's a pretty low minority. This should be something that we're past now but it always comes up because racism is just one of those things that you wonder if it will ever go away.

It's truly shameful and how some of you decide to throw it under the rug and treat it as a non-issue is beyond me. Now we'll see if the FA have any bollocks or not. From my impressions, especially from reading Neville's bio, it's a big fat f'in NO

Saliph

Well, that oughta make for a very merry Christmas for Helenowski and Brown.