Evra: Cristiano said «yes» to Sir Alex in 2013

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
We spunked about 200 million up the wall a season later with LVG. Pretty confident had SAF asked for United/Glazers to spend big in the transfer window they would've granted him that opportunity,

Last edited:

manutddjw

I’m not sure if I believe this. I think if Ronaldo was coming back Sir Alex would’ve stayed for at least another season. That, and I have doubts Ronaldo wanted to leave Madrid. I don’t doubt his admiration for Sir Alex but he left him when we were clearly better, I doubt he’d leave when Madrid was starting or did eclipse us and that’s without Bale, Isco and more importantly Er-a-Mendi coming in.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
But why retire then if he was 99% sure Ronaldo was coming back? He must have known it wasn't happening
Do you know the reason Sir Alex suddenly decided to retire?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He didn't 'suddenly' decide to retire at all
Cathy Ferguson’s sister died in October 2012. Up until that point, SAF was comfortable devoting his time to football because he knew she had great company. After her death though he could see how lonely she was becoming and he knew it would have been selfish of him to continue any longer. He informed David Gill and the board of his decision just a couple of months later.

Sir Alex himself has said that if his sister in law had not passed away, he would have continued managing.

crossy1686

career ending
But why retire then if he was 99% sure Ronaldo was coming back? He must have known it wasn't happening
He would have retired due to that I think, or that played it's part at least.

Fergie wanted another Champions League but once it became clear we weren't getting Bale or Ronaldo he knew we had no chance so he decided to pack it in while he had the league.

MrEleson

It sort of holds weight when you consider that Ronaldo infamously declared to the Spanish media that he was “sad & upset” at the club in September 2012. His future in Spain was immediately shrouded with great uncertainty and rumours of his departure were pretty rampant for the remainder of that season up until September 2013 when he signed a new 5-year-deal with the club (after SAF had just retired months prior). So who knows what would have happened that summer had Sir Alex remained Manchester United manager.

MattofManchester

It sort of holds weight when you consider that Ronaldo infamously declared to the Spanish media that he was “sad & upset” at the club in September 2012. His future in Spain was immediately shrouded with great uncertainty and rumours of his departure were pretty rampant for the remainder of that season up until September 2013 when he signed a new 5-year-deal with the club (after SAF had just retired months prior). So who knows what would have happened that summer had Sir Alex remained Manchester United manager.
Wasn't he also receiving a lot of hate from Madrid fans at the time as well?

Garry Buck

Ronaldo has been using United for a few years now to get better contracts at his respective clubs.

clarkydaz

I remember Guillem Balaque at the time saying he supposedly wasnt happy there as Manchester where it was more fun, but how much was all to do with contract renewals etc. happened so much it got hollow and predictable

MrEleson

I think the fans had already started booing him in the season prior after a bad day at the office at home to Granada but I think the real reason was Madrid not campaigning for him in the hunt for the Ballon D’or like Barca were for Messi at the time.

Ronaldo has been using United for a few years now to get better contracts at his respective clubs.
He only had 2 contract renewals in his 9 years at Madrid.