Evra | (Soon to be Ex-)Pundit Thread | Patman Watch

LVGSdive

I like the fact that Carragher admitted that wearing the t-shirt in support of Suarez was rediculous.

Coops73

Did he not say he knew nothing about them until they appeared in the dressing room?.
Yeah but I’m calling bollocks on that, he’s one of the senior members of that club and he knew nothing about it? I’m not having it, him and that club made a massive mistake there but that’s them all over.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Aye should keep things traditional, which is why I want us to bring back public hangings, and I'm spending the evening going on a witch hunt.
I will find out the truth for you...

They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

Member 90887

One footballer insulting another footballer is as old as football. What happens on the pitch should stay on the pitch.
An apologist for racism.

What an outdated way of seeing things. The world won't evolve with people like you.

clarkydaz

Disgraceful set of fans.
in that thread they blame Evra, Fergie, Sky, Manchester United and the F.A. Everyone but gnasher, and even Carragher for apologising to him. I'd wager Carragher has a good idea of what really went down

fergiesarmy1

in that thread they blame Evra, Fergie, Sky, Manchester United and the F.A. Everyone but gnasher, and even Carragher for apologising to him. I'd wager Carragher has a good idea of what really went down
Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.

Horrible set of fans.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
You forget how much of a stain the Suarez incident was on Liverpool Football Club. Have to admit that despite hating them I'd always have an underlying respect for the club to a degree. That moment totally killed it.
I assume you did the same with Schmiechel and Wright, wasn’t it Wright himself that said Sir Alex accused him of playing the race card? Must have made you lose some respect for the club then no?

Either way we got it totally wrong, and there’s literally no way Carra etc weren’t aware it was going to take place, I remember there was rumours going around all day. We were extremely poorly advised from a legal standpoint and as far as I remember Suárez actually admitted to saying the word “ negro “ and cited heat of the battle as his reasoning. He mentioned Evra insulting his heritage and various cultural connotations. The fact was it was disgraceful and I think in large part the language analysis experts and the rush to defend him from the club meant they dug their hole deeper. The whole thing was a shambles. People kept looking for inconsistencies in the panel findings and using them to vehemently defend Luis as it became a siege mentality thing. The fact is whether he said it once or 7 times as Evra purports is irrelevant, racist language can’t and shouldn’t ever be tolerated.

I thought Evra came across really well there and indeed has done ever since the incident even going so far as to forgive Suárez. Those were some truly dark days for the club that were handled atrociously.

TheReligion

Abusive
I assume you did the same with Schmiechel and Wright, wasn’t it Wright himself that said Sir Alex accused him of playing the race card? Must have made you lose some respect for the club then no?

Either way we got it totally wrong, and there’s literally no way Carra etc weren’t aware it was going to take place, I remember there was rumours going around all day. We were extremely poorly advised from a legal standpoint and as far as I remember Suárez actually admitted to saying the word “ negro “ and cited heat of the battle as his reasoning. He mentioned Evra insulting his heritage and various cultural connotations. The fact was it was disgraceful and I think in large part the language analysis experts and the rush to defend him from the club meant they dug their hole deeper. The whole thing was a shambles. People kept looking for inconsistencies in the panel findings and using them to vehemently defend Luis as it became a siege mentality thing. The fact is whether he said it once or 7 times as Evra purports is irrelevant, racist language can’t and shouldn’t ever be tolerated.

I thought Evra came across really well there and indeed has done ever since the incident even going so far as to forgive Suárez. Those were some truly dark days for the club that were handled atrociously.
Why does reading that just feel like you're making excuses. Sigh. Just accept it and move on. The club and players acted disgracefully and it's tragic that only Carragher could muster an apology to Evra all this time later (even that was with a caveat that he didn't really know..)

0le

I still don't understand the chicken video. The guy is definitely a little mad but in a loving way.

clarkydaz

Evra seems to accept this in the clip. He doesn't believe he is racist but has no problem saying nasty stuff to wind someone up

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
I thought Carragher did really well there as well on Liverpool’s behalf - you could tell Evra appreciated the regret in Carragher’s reflections on that time; really good discussion all round I thought.
It really was a nothing apology.
He as the vice captain doesn't know who's idea it was or dared to speak up against supporting a racist? All he did was apologise for wearing the shirt. He did nothing to make it right.

Besides, he claims some people close to suarez in the dressing room might have been the people who made it happen. Yet their manager, captain and vice captain were too afraid to do anything? No. Racism was protected because the racist was beloved.

One of the worst apologies I've heard, and absolutely pointless. He had every chance to comment on it during the years after the incident but he took it up now because he and Evra was in the studio at the same time. It might even have been a planned conversation by sky to get clicks.

thepolice123

Just to embed it in the thread.

Class.
That 2-1 win was one of the sweetest victories under Fergie. That Liverpool team under Daglish had some utter cnuts: Bellamy, Spearing, Skertel, Gerrard. The racist incident made that match an absolute must win.

We had all our old guards back for the match. Scholes, Giggs, Rio and Carrick all played. I remember Evra got megged by Suarez during the match and was through on goal until Rio came back with a superb recovery tackle. Would have been a complete nightmare had he scored.

TheReligion

Abusive
That 2-1 win was one of the sweetest victories under Fergie. That Liverpool team under Daglish had some utter cnuts: Bellamy, Spearing, Skertel, Gerrard. The racist incident made that match an absolute must win.

We had all our old guards back for the match. Scholes, Giggs, Rio and Carrick all played. I remember Evra got megged by Suarez during the match and was through on goal until Rio came back with a superb recovery tackle. Would have been a complete nightmare had he scored.
I'm glad Evra got his moment at the end too.

Yagami

Good post resistant
One footballer insulting another footballer is as old as football. What happens on the pitch should stay on the pitch.
"Supports: Barcelona"

Yeah, I'm not surprised. Like Liverpool fans before, just because he's a great football player for your club doesn't excuse what he did.
Why does reading that just feel like you're making excuses. Sigh. Just accept it and move on. The club and players acted disgracefully and it's tragic that only Carragher could muster an apology to Evra all this time later (even that was with a caveat that he didn't really know..)
Not just them but every Liverpool fan, too. Everyone associated with that club were a disgrace.

LARulz

I remember that tackle I think - was that the one Redknapp said Rio should have been sent off despite the clean tackle? Fletcher and Neville nearly pissed themselves.

But 100% from the game I remember Evra looking to clean Suarez out in the first 5 mins

thepolice123

I remember that tackle I think - was that the one Redknapp said Rio should have been sent off despite the clean tackle? Fletcher and Neville nearly pissed themselves.

But 100% from the game I remember Evra looking to clean Suarez out in the first 5 mins
Yes I remember he tried to clatter Suarez and took out Rio instead. You can tell Evra and Suarez were both emotionally affected by the incident. Suarez booted the ball into the stands a few times. Absolute cnutish behaviour.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Patrice Evra has continually distinguished himself on plenty of grown up subjects. And this is probably the best discussion I've seen from him.

Serious manlove for him. I really hope Woodward can find Evra the right role so he can inject his wisdom into our club.

DoomSlayer

The thing I found most peculiar was when Evra talked about how much more difficult the training regime was in Juventus. It seems we were lacking behind in terms of physical preparations even during the last few years under Sir Alex and we never truly addressed that since now.

Though Van Gaal did try to up the intensity and give more feedback to the players to improve, but they lacked that mentality to strive to be the best and saw it all as a big drag. :mad:

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
What Evra was saying regarding racism and education is completely correct. People aren't born as racists, they learn it from somewhere. They need to be educated about why racism is wrong.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

Suarez did score in that game, not that it matters.

Spoony

The People's President
Carragher should've saisbthey were wrong and that there wasn't any justification for their support for Suarez before the Wigan game. And that's it. Leave it at that.

fps

The thing I found most peculiar was when Evra talked about how much more difficult the training regime was in Juventus. It seems we were lacking behind in terms of physical preparations even during the last few years under Sir Alex and we never truly addressed that since now.

Though Van Gaal did try to up the intensity and give more feedback to the players to improve, but they lacked that mentality to strive to be the best and saw it all as a big drag. :mad:
Extraordinary manager but effective far beyond his natural prime.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I'm not always Evra's fan, but that is a classy interview. And Carragher deserves credit for apologizing and not trying to minimize the incident.
Carragher's "apology" is a meek affair and he does try to minimize it, when it should be an unreserved apology. People are acting like it's a grand gesture cos he's a former Liverpool player and we've been accustomed to everyone linked with Liverpool acting like complete ignorants on this matter, but it's very disappointing in my opinion.

DoomSlayer

Extraordinary manager but effective far beyond his natural prime.
I believe that in his last period at the club, Sir Alex was at his best in terms of man management and game management, but our tactical and coaching approach was not evolving with the times.

We had no answer to Barcelona when it came to countering their style, although they obviously outclassed us in terms of having incredible players in their peak, who went on to be all-timers without a shadow of a doubt and some like Messi and Xavi can be considered the best ever in their positions.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Carragher's "apology" is a meek affair and he does try to minimize it, when it should be an unreserved apology. People are acting like it's a grand gesture cos he's a former Liverpool player and we've been accustomed to everyone linked with Liverpool acting like complete ignorants on this matter, but it's very disappointing in my opinion.
Tend to agree, I also 100% do not believe he only found out they way he said he did, but thats another story

lsd

The Oracle

Again, refreshingly honest. Why did he pick Alves ahead of Neville?

Again, refreshingly honest. Why did he pick Alves ahead of Neville?

Found it interesting in talking about Sir Alex he said the exact same thing Roy Keane said recently in that he was not scared about Sir Alex giving him the hairdryer treatment but he was afraid of disappointing Sir Alex and letting him down with a bad performance.

Thats an impressive talent a manager can have.

Suedesi

I could listen to this guy talk all day. He's a guy that could be a good manager because his ability to communicate so well and naturally.

Not surprised he picked Park, Tevez and Alves.

Interesting he thought United training compared to Juve was like a holiday. Lukaku has echoed the same sentiment that training in Italy is so much harder.