Evra | (Soon to be Ex-)Pundit Thread | Patman Watch

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned

This is concerning the way the club is being run and yet some glazers and Woodward apologists will just blame the manager and act as if changing them will get us back to top, not realizing there are many things wrong and broken.
Ole went and spoke to Haaland...

red4ever 79

That's what he said. Ole is doing this now, so we should back him a bit more because he knows how the club should be run (according to Evra).
Damning interview from Evra. Shows how badly run the club is and offers an indictment of Ed's performance as CEO

DoomSlayer

I love Evra, an absolute genuine person as one can be, always honest and says what he really feels. That video is damn indication of what has been happening at the club and is even now.

People wanted to dismiss all those stories in the media since the Moyes days, but I bet more than half have a lot of truth into them.

Not sure Ole will ever get the right environment to actually prosper, unless he performs a miracle and actually win actual trophies this season.

In Rainbows

Its because of people like you so that's why the masses are so brainwashed. Go and believe everything you see on the news.
This is something conspiracy theorists always say as if it's the news that are giving us the info as opposed to actual scientific studies (of which don't always get properly communicated across in the news). Meanwhile conspiracy theorists are the biggest sheeps around. They believe 1 youtube video where the video has no actual evidence from any reliable study and with no expertise in the field of study. No sources cited in their videos.

And yet from that point on, they believe everything.

Go to a conspiracy theory video/blog and none of the conspiracy theorists are the least bit skeptical of the youtube video. They just blindly accept the youtube video or blog's content.

So spare us with the brainwashed comment. And you know what I said is true better than anyone. You know how much effort you spent in checking whoever gave you the thought of the conspiracy video. Don't answer to me. That's something you have to reckon with yourself.

0le

Anyone wondering whether Evra is reliable in his account of Woodward, here is some further evidence from other sources:
Rio only aware he was being kicked out of United at the last game:

Woodward: "we can sign anyone" speech:
http://web.archive.org/web/20140721...ted-are-working-hard-on-transfer-targets.aspx
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/video-ed-woodward-promises-more-signings-for-manchester-united
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/20/manchester-united-ed-woodward-new-signings

Klopp commented that Woodward said United was "like an adult version of Disneyland, a mythical place where the entertainment was world class and dreams came true"
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jurgen-klopps-liverpool-move-nearly-22460664

LvG describes Falcao was not his first, second, or even third choice:
LvG said Fergie was unhappy about the direction of the club:
"Unfortunately, we are talking about a commercial club, not a football club. I spoke to Ferguson about this and in his last years, he also had problems with it."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47704834

Woodward said himself that he made the footballing decision of not signing a player, seemingly based purely on recruitment and less so on finance:
https://talksport.com/football/635401/manchester-united-ed-woodward-transfers-jose-mourinho/

Javier Hernandez speaks about how Woodward (and Moyes) lied to him about a transfer: 14:04 and 17:14

Patrice Evra beforehand speaking about his departure from United and how Woodward lied to him:
https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-caused-by-broken-promises-over-his-contract

I am sure that you can find different motives, biases and inaccuracies in all the sources. But when so many people of different backgrounds with direct exposure and first hand experience describe some level of incompetence of the same individual, and the individual themselves says stupid things, then questions do need to be raised.

AshRK

Nothing prevent a manager from talking to a player the club is officially trying to purchase. Football negotiations and behind the door talks are indeed mainly done with lawyers, agents and COOs, players will be involved because they have legal papers to sign and agree on. The rest, informal talks about football are on top of it and generally done directly by the manager and/or the DOF.
Still doesn't change we are badly run club. Rio evra have all said Woodward and matt judge have too much power and have little knowledge.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ole went and spoke to Haaland...
Yes but as Haalands father said, they didn't feel the club really wanted the player like Ole did. That tells you all you need to know.
Ole spoke to them but who spoke to them about contracts etc and what does that person know about football?

Evras comments back up what Klopp said about United when he was approached.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Still doesn't change we are badly run club. Rio evra have all said Woodward and matt judge have too much power and have little knowledge.
Which is a different point to the one I responded to. And Woodward is the CEO no one is going to have more power than him outside of the board itself, so it's a silly point to make, and Woodward doesn't have less football knowledge than the vast majority of his peers. Now there is one obvious point that they could have made which is that Woodward is a poor CEO because in the last 7 years, he has failed to create the football structure that the club and himself required. From a management standpoint he is seemingly quite bad which begs the question, what's his purpose? CEOs, COOs and CFOs aren't exactly rare so there is no logical reasons behind the fact that he is still employed.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I'm just catching up on all of this Evra stuff, and I'm not surprised one bit. The man has always been an idiot and never fit to be on television in any capacity whatsoever. I get that he's very liked here, but the sooner he's gone from any kind of punditry, the better for everybody including himself.

caid

I am sure that you can find different motives, biases and inaccuracies in all the sources. But when so many people of different backgrounds with direct exposure and first hand experience describe some level of incompetence of the same individual, and the individual themselves says stupid things, then questions do need to be raised.
They dont though really. Woodward was probably a Moyes like appointment that we haven't moved on 7 years later. This transfer window has been pretty inept, again. Hes been in charge for 14 of them, so a lack of experience is a crap excuse at this point. Its been painfully obvious what changes need to happen for years and i expect Ole to get thrown under the bus before Woodward, to no benefit, again.

AshRK

Which is a different point to the one I responded to. And Woodward is the CEO no one is going to have more power than him outside of the board itself, so it's a silly point to make, and Woodward doesn't have less football knowledge than the vast majority of his peers. Now there is one obvious point that they could have made which is that Woodward is a poor CEO because in the last 7 years, he has failed to create the football structure that the club and himself required. From a management standpoint he is seemingly quite bad which begs the question, what's his purpose? CEOs, COOs and CFOs aren't exactly rare so there is no logical reasons behind the fact that he is still employed.
You are just contradicting yourself, on one hand you say he doesn't have any less knowledge and then say he has failed to create the football structure and from management standpoint he is quite bad. Surely it doesn't make sense. Overall, he is doing a horrible job whichever way you want to look into.

Thiagoal

Isn’t Evra supposed to be a club ambassador or did I make that up? Can’t imagine the club liking him speaking the truth...

clarkydaz

Isn’t Evra supposed to be a club ambassador or did I make that up? Can’t imagine the club liking him speaking the truth...
not officially, he says it in this clip. But sees himself as one anyway, and played big part in Martial/Pogba staying here as they were ready to go

JPRouve

Scout
You are just contradicting yourself, on one hand you say he doesn't have any less knowledge and then say he has failed to create the football structure and from management standpoint he is quite bad. Surely it doesn't make sense. Overall, he is doing a horrible job whichever way you want to look into.
I'm not contradicting myself, for example Peter Moore had no more football knowledge than Woodward, what he seemingly has is management abilities, he hired people that built the football structure for him. I could use Al Khelaifi has an other example, he is himself a tennis guy and knew little about professional football, so he hired JC Blanc as his COO who was at Juventus before that. If you look at most clubs their CEOs aren't football people they generally have finance backgrounds, even someone like Soriano isn't a football man. That's why most clubs have technical directors and DOFs, why some companies have creative directors and engineering directors. We live in the world of specialization and Woodward seem to not know that.
What transpires with Woodward is that he shouldn't be a CEO, maybe he is a very competent CFO but there is no sign that he knows how to organize a company or understand that he can bring people that will do that for him.

Coops73

Evra seemed to suggest that the Glazers genuinely love the club, Avram and Joel in particular, so it would seem he’s pointing the finger firmly towards Matt Judge.

Irwin99

There's so much that's rotten it's just become absurd to even deny at this point. So many people have put the boot in to Ed and the direction of the club, yet here we are still. You could do a timeline of Ed/the club's stupidity and you'd still get people defending them.

MattofManchester

I'm a massive fan of him as a character. He's charming and can probably put a smile on anyone's face.

As for his controversies, I wouldn't really attribute that to his character. Maybe he's been a bit swayed by the wrong opinions on the matter.
However, sometimes I think things tend to he lost in the crowd. For example, that Bill Gates only wants to test a potential vaccine on African subjects, which right now, is probably one of the least affected areas in the world. I guess, if it's outside your exposure, you wouldn't understand.

On the Moyes daughter Zaha thing, I can't believe that requires an apology. If someone should apologise, how about the journalists that spun that story if it was untrue.
The guy just seemed to make a passing statement that he deemed a fact. He didn't say Zaha did or didn't go frolicking. He just did offhandedly say that was when the issues with Zaha started. How wrong is that, really? And it's probably the reality of what happened to Zaha. Should we instead say he was frozen out because he ate too many Coco Pops?

As for the board, I'd rather have him say anything, even if it is the slightest criticism than what we've seen from other former players so far.
Gary Neville for all his outspoken nature seems heavily two-faced on the matter, Scholes and Giggs don't seem to acknowledge the subject, Ferguson and Gill sit on that board. Even 8f they don't have any power, a resignation or something from them would be damming of the current state of the club. Anything from them would probably be the biggest hit to the image that hides the reality of the club.

But that's probably wishful thinking.

Reactions: harms

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Evra seemed to suggest that the Glazers genuinely love the club, Avram and Joel in particular, so it would seem he’s pointing the finger firmly towards Matt Judge.
Time someone called him out

hungrywing

Anyone wondering whether Evra is reliable in his account of Woodward, here is some further evidence from other sources:
Rio only aware he was being kicked out of United at the last game:

Woodward: "we can sign anyone" speech:
http://web.archive.org/web/20140721...ted-are-working-hard-on-transfer-targets.aspx
https://www.sportskeeda.com/football/video-ed-woodward-promises-more-signings-for-manchester-united
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jul/20/manchester-united-ed-woodward-new-signings

Klopp commented that Woodward said United was "like an adult version of Disneyland, a mythical place where the entertainment was world class and dreams came true"
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/jurgen-klopps-liverpool-move-nearly-22460664

LvG describes Falcao was not his first, second, or even third choice:
LvG said Fergie was unhappy about the direction of the club:
"Unfortunately, we are talking about a commercial club, not a football club. I spoke to Ferguson about this and in his last years, he also had problems with it."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47704834

Woodward said himself that he made the footballing decision of not signing a player, seemingly based purely on recruitment and less so on finance:
https://talksport.com/football/635401/manchester-united-ed-woodward-transfers-jose-mourinho/

Javier Hernandez speaks about how Woodward (and Moyes) lied to him about a transfer: 14:04 and 17:14

Patrice Evra beforehand speaking about his departure from United and how Woodward lied to him:
https://www.skysports.com/football/...s-caused-by-broken-promises-over-his-contract

Good post and ideally should be stickied as part of an ongoing resource on the Glazers/Woodward/Judge.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Not sure who Evra is saying the problem is as he name checks both Woodward and Joel Glazer as the ones who aren't the issue

JPRouve

Scout
Not sure who Evra is saying the problem is as he name checks both Woodward and Joel Glazer as the ones who aren't the issue
It seems that he is pointing the finger at the previous managers and maybe some agents or external advisors. Because he said that Ole is now trying to fix things by emulating SAF which means that previous managers did things differently and he says that Woodward trusted the wrong people inside and outside the club.

caid

I dont think his defence of woodward was particularly strong tbh. He doesn't come out of that looking good.

fergosaurus

'Even Bebe can be an ambassabor' :lol:
:lol: That's why I love Pat, he talks like a fan would. Just like yesterday when he brought up Zaha shagging Moyes' daughter on Sky casually as if he's anonymously posting one a forum.

sp_107

Yes but as Haalands father said, they didn't feel the club really wanted the player like Ole did. That tells you all you need to know.
Ole spoke to them but who spoke to them about contracts etc and what does that person know about football?

Summed up really well.

Evra genuinely loves our club and the things he spoke out today might be a topic between ex players who really cares this club.

JPRouve

Scout

I do hope that it is a lawyer that talked about contracts and I hope that he was hired for his knowledge about contracts and employment law. Ole and/or the DOF are the ones supposed to talk about football contracts talks aren't about football.

JPRouve

Scout
Matt judge... the man in charge of negotiations
Unlikely. I made that point months ago but people seem to still ignore that John Murtough and Alan Dawson exists.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He says Woodward trusts people he shouldn't trust, paying 100m when he could pay 20m. A roundabout way of saying he's completely incompetent.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
How anybody can defend Woodward is beyond me. I think Patrice is trying, but he doesn't seem the sharpest tool in the box and therefore doesn't realise that everything he's saying is painting Woodward in a bad light. Not that it takes much.

But it's also worth noting that he also has some ties with Woodward. They've been spotted together on numerous occasions. I don't think he's completely unbiased.

Champagne Football

There seems to be a hell of a lot of knee-jerk going on. I'm wondering if Evra's outburst is Pogba related because they are best mates and maybe Evra is tired of listening to Pogba complaining in the background.

But the reality is that we have improved beyond recognition since Jose was here. We've had a poor transfer window but under Fergie it was very common to miss out on big names, and Fergie never panic bought like Jose would. Spending 180 million+ on Bruno, Wan Bissaka and Maguire in the past year is not exactly penny pinching.

A lot of fans upset that we haven't signed Sancho and it's understandable, but the club does have to be super careful otherwise you end up with more expensive panic buys like Fred, Lindelof and Sanchez. This time last year in the transfer window, everyone was on their hands and knees begging Ed Woodward to spend over £135 million on Nicolas Pepe and Tanguy Ndombele, yet both of those players have struggled badly in the premier league.

So just because Sancho might not be attainable due to the virus crisis, it doesn't mean there's a guaranteed world class right winger out there with the right character who can improve us. We might actually be better off waiting until the January transfer window to see if any young superstars have emerged in Europe who are just as good as Sancho and who will cost 30 million, similar to how nobody had heard of Haaland a year ago yet by January he was the most in demand player on the planet.

I feel Evra's attack was very badly timed. Attacking the club when we are yet to get up and running properly in the new season. Where were his criticisms when we were finishing 3rd a couple of months ago after a total miracle turnaround after signing Bruno? Everyone was saying the future is bright back then with the form of Martial, Bruno, Greenwood and Pogba. If you can't get the players you want, then don't buy the wrong ones and be prepared to wait. That has been our downfall since Fergie quit.

Jibbs

As much as I hate Woodward, all these ex players like Evra, Rio, Neville are nothing but leeches who just want their share of United pie. They should be held as away from United decision making process as possible.

ReallyUSA

Whole operation is going to shit, and people who help build the club to it's stature are sharing their honest opinion and experiences. More valid than anyone on this site and elsewhere.