Exclusion Draft - QF: Himmanv vs paulscholes18

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Himmanv

paulscholes18

Himmanv Tactics

Tactics: 4-4-2 counterattacking

Defense:

• Hard-working team off the ball.
  • This team is built to run and close down spaces for most of the game.
  • All players have defensive responsibility and a high-work rate.
  • No weak links defensively.

Attack:

• Good creativity to make their chances count when they get them
  • Players with passing ability in all parts of the pitch in order to get the ball forward quickly.

paulscholes18 Tactics

Formation
4-3-3 With a false 9

Style of Play
TikI-Taka

Reasons why I have gone

Laporte over Buchwald.

Main reason why is because of balance to the defence, having a right footed left back I felt it was important to have a left footed centre back, and also I believe that Laporte would be the better option to help build attacks from the back.

Johnstone over Mahrez
I have gone for Johnstone over Mahrez as he offers my attack something different with a bit of pace and trickery, while Mahrez is your cookie cutter Left footed right winger cut inside and shoot, one advantage for picking Mahrez would have been allowing Petrescu more space too attack for the overlap.

Silva LW Gascoigne CM over Foden LW Silva CM
While they both a similar thing a left footed left winger to allow Azpilicueta too attack on the under-lap as an inverted fullback (like Cancelo for City), Gascoigne has had his career and his peak was superior to Foden’s current ability, and offers the midfield a bit more fight and bite than David Silva as well as class on the ball.

In possession

Will look to build attacks from the back and dominate possession, mainly with shot passing working the ball forward between the lines, (but de Rossi and Laporte are both more than capable of long switches of play when the opportunity arises) both fullbacks will be important to the attack with Azpilicueta on the under-lap and Petrescu on the overlap to help and work the ball into the box, Silva will tend to hold the width on the left side being left footed, while Johnstone will have the license to drif inside while in the fine third, both Verratti and Gazza are happy to receive the ball even if under pressure, Gazza has more of a free role compared to Verratti to join attacks and support Totti.

Out of possession
Will look to force the opposition out wide and then aggressively press to win the ball back, by pressing when the ball is out wide this allows you to use the touch line almost like an extra defender.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Random question of the day — if you’ll put Johnstone on top of Silva on top of Verratti would they be able to beat Willy Schulz in the air?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Seems like an extremely weird set up for a false 9 and Johnstone looks completely out of place there (speaking as a self-appointed expert on the matter who had watched every bit of Johnstone’s footage over the past three weeks). Especially when you notice the tiki-taka part of his tactical instructions. He had an odd creative pass on him but 9/10 pass he’d take the ball and run with it, trying to beat 2 or 3 opponents in rapid succession (and often succeeding in doing so tbf) before making a cross. His goalscoring was also quite inconsistent. The closest stylistic comparison to him would be Garrincha even though Brazilian was a bit better at everything including shooting.

What’s even weirder is that you have the likes of Mahrez & Foden who have proven themselves in a false 9 set up on the bench. Even though Johnstone is probably a better player than Mahrez (or Foden at this point).

Himannv

Not sure why it's a tiki-taka system because not all players are suited to that style. It's one of those systems where everyone needs to be able to fit or it doesn't work so well and it leaves you constantly having to defend counters. Some players fit but some don't quite do it for me.

General_Elegancia

Chillin' with the Dugongs
Supports
Liverpool, AC Milan
I think Silva fits in this 4-3-3 system but again not on wing-forward. Wing forwards in 4-3-3 must have some great scoring records especially you don’t have dedicated out and out striker, it would make Totti jobs a lot harder, since he must carry your team scoring loads. Johnstone for me was a classical winger, all of his attributes suited in more of a classic 4-4-2 system, not a wing forward, it’s very different between wing forward and classical winger and his scoring records weren’t that impressive too.

Silva for me could replace Veratti since he has a lot of experiences at lcm and lam in Guardiola’s system. He has excellent workrates(which require a lot in this role), great passer, great off ball movement and probably has enough stamina . I really don’t have a problem with your full-backs especially Azpi since I agree with you that he has a very underrated under-lapping run and could support your attacks easily.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
echo what everyone else is saying, nice set of players but wrong choice of tactics for scholes :(
himann team on the other hand is a beauty, cant decide what i love more - attacking or midfield duo:drool:

Demyanenko_square_jaw

Petrescu was very good and intelligent on the ball, he compares well against any fullback of his era in that respect, however from watching a lot of his Romania games and some club level stuff here and there, i don't rate him high defensively in a back four. He'd be better suited to a wingback role at this level, unless you have a more defensive presence in front. I seem to remember Chelsea ended up playing him a lot as a side-midfielder too.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
That is an excellent team Himannv.

Am sorry but its a really terrible team Scholes, seen much better teams from you.