Exclusion Draft: QF - Skizzo vs Enigma

With players at their peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Skizzo

Enigma

Skizzo Tactics

Formation - 4-3-2-1 / 4-3-3

TEAM

GK - Gordon Banks
. World Cup winning goalkeeper and six-time winner of the FIFA Goalkeeper of the Year award.

RB - Jimmy Armfield. The first overlapping right back (before being told off by Stanley) and considered to be one of the best in the world in the early 60's.

LB - Rivardo Pavoni. Pavoni’s stature in history of the game had suffered because he had never player in Europe – and in our Westerncentric world it’s hard to be properly appreciated if you had chosen to remain at South America for your entire career. But Pavoni’s credentials are immaculate – 5-times Copa Libertadores winner (obviously a record), and it’s not like his Independiente weren’t tested outside of their comfort zone – in 1973 they had won Intercontinental Cup, beating a great Juventus side. Pavoni was a brilliant defender first and foremost, but he also had 2 distinctive features – his glorious moustache and a fantastic left peg that he used both for crossing and for shooting (he had scored more than 50 club goals).

CB - Albert Shesternyov. Generally regarded as one of, if not the, best Soviet defender. Fast, good in the air, he had all the physical traits required to succeed and be one of the very best.

CB - Hector Chumpitaz. Regarded as one of the best South American defenders of all time, Chumpitaz was almost as good on the ball as he was off it. Fast, strong, good in the air for his size, and able to play the ball out of the back.

CM - Dave Mackay. Branded by George Best as "his toughest and bravest opponent", Mackay was the cornerstone of the teams he played in. Tough and physical, but fair and great with the ball.

CM - Mauro Silva. The Brazilian was a compact and robust defensive stopper, he should be able to provide a tireless and concrete platform for players ahead of him to work their magic — on top of effectively screening the defensive line. A forceful and committed player, Mauro Silva was known for his stamina and competitive nature in the middle of the pitch, providing a solid base for many of Deportivo's biggest triumphs. There can be no underplaying Mauro Silva's role in the finest period of La Coruña's Super Depor — even before considering his success at international level.

AM - Robert Rivellino. Maradona's inspiration and one of Brazil's stars of the 70's, he was famous for his large moustache, bending free kicks, long range shooting, accurate long passing, vision, close ball control and dribbling skills.

RW - Stanley Matthews. One of the most devastating dribblers of all-time who was known for single-handedly destroying his opponents time and again. Backed up on the right flank by his fellow Blackpool legend in Armfield.

LW - Dragan Dzajic. Another devastating dribbler and goal threat. He'll also look to put some crosses into the box for the ever deadly Seeler.

ST - Uwe Seeler. A natural goalscorer, deadly in the air, and a fantastic ability to link up with his fellow attackers.

STRENGTHS
  • A defense that boasts a variety of physical attributes, there's pace, physicality, ability to read the game and reach, good in the air, and an ability to play the ball out of the back.
  • A midfield that combines both the defensive acumen to be defensively sound, coupled with an ability to create from deeper and find players in dangerous areas.
  • An attack that offers a direct individual one-on-one threat, and a diverse way to score with threats from outside the box, link-up play, or crosses in to Seeler.
Enigma

Formation: 4-3-3

Defence:

The defensive unit is composed of a very strong and physical pair in the center Terry and Tresor, both excellent in the air and in Tresor's case having the agility and presence to counter Seeler's game both in the air and on the deck. Danny McGrain plays his natural role on the right as a balanced right back who will mostly mind Dzajic on the left wing and also provide the solid base for Garrincha to do his thing. Leo Junior also plays his natural role being able to help forward and add numbers in midfield on the side.

Midfield:
Fernandinho
is at the base of the midfield, buzzing in front of the defence and protecting the back four. He slots nicely to Tigana who is in his box to box role and Giresse is due a appearance other than a sidekick role taking the mantle as a main playmaker for the team. Tigana and Giresse know each other very well and have played both for club and country forming an excellent partnership.

Attack:
The crown jewel in the side is Garrincha who will play in his best role just like in 1962 when he was the main man in attack and star of the show. On the other side he has another wide forward in Joya who is a trickster with eye for the goal. Spearheading the attack is the great Gigi Riva who has the power and ability to convert chances and is a great weapon considering the service he would get from each flank and Giresse providing the through balls.

Little about Giresse:

Boasting with half of the Carre Magique:

ALAIN GIRESSE

Unlike Fernandez, Alain Giresse was an international veteran of 12 years when Le Carré Magique’s moment had arrived. An amazing footballer, his goal had France on the brink of semi-final glory against West Germany in 1982 – establishing a 3-1 lead in extra time before a heartbreaking collapse to penalty shoot-out defeat. Gigi’s celebration is perhaps the most memorable ever and stuck with us to this day.

Giresse arrived at the Euro in prime form, having collected a Ligue 1 crown with Bordeaux that was retained the following season. Giresse, living up to his nickname, “Moteur,” was Platini's relentless foil. His limitless drive accentuating the quartet’s best attributes, Giresse got on the scoresheet alongside Fernandez in the 5-0 hammering of Belgium – with Platini netting a hat-trick. “He (Giresse) was a magnificent player, very intelligent with a great technique and an incredible passing ability” – Aimé Jacquet.

JEAN TIGANA

Giresse was not alone in his abundance of talent combined with a phenomenal work ethic. The World Cup-winning team of 1998 may have been held up as the role models for a generation, but it was in fact the tireless and dynamic running of Tigana that paved the way for the likes of N’Golo Kanté and Blaise Matuidi. No one could forget his slaloming run setup in extra time of the semi-final. The goal stands as arguably the defining moment of France's triumphant victory.

His long-time alliance with Giresse at Bordeaux was perfect for Hidalgo in plotting his celebrated revolutionary configuration. Tigana would make the same move to Marseille in 1989, adding two more Ligue 1 titles to the three he won on the Garonne River. A future coach of Monaco and Fulham, Tigana was indisputably among the best players in the world and finished second in the 1984 Ballon d'Or voting. But there could be, of course, only one winner.

Skizzo

Good luck @Enigma_87 Solid team throughout as always.

Gonna be gone for a bit, but just initial thoughts for me.

Fernandinho is one of the masters of tactical fouls and getting away with murder at times, but even he might struggle not to give away free kicks in dangerous areas against The Mustache, who would also love to have a few cracks at goal

And secondly, having Matthews up against Leo Junior, with Terry covering would be an angle to try and exploit. Having Terry come over to cover if Leo is out of position or beaten on the dribble would expose him somewhat in the open area. As a “stopper” I feel Terry does get underrrated a lot, but I wouldn’t fancy him as the cover for a beaten full back with Matthews attacking him, or pulling him out of a deeper defensive position.

Skizzo

And more on this fella later, but another underrated player since he wasn’t quite as flashy as his teammates….yet a vital piece of that Deportivo team so romantically remembered.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Monstrous teams — and so evenly matched in all of the areas!

Skizzo

DAVE MACKAY - JUST HOW GOOD WAS HE?

Brian Clough said: said:
He was Spurs' greatest ever player.
Sir Alex Ferguson said: said:
When you think of Denis Law, Kenny Dalglish, Graeme Souness. You can put Dave Mackay along with them.
John Greig said: said:
If there was one player I would have modelled myself on it was Dave Mackay, a truly outstanding individual in an exceptional team. I loved watching Mackay and I was heartbroken when he was transferred to Spurs where he went on to become one of the legends of the game.

WAS HE JUST A HARD MAN?

John Giles said: said:
I have to apologise to John White, Ossie Ardiles and Luka Modric, but Dave Mackay was the best of them all. He was one of the greats and could do everything. He would be better than any of the others we're talking about.
Sir Alex Ferguson said: said:
We know he was the bravest man in the world, we know that. But he was also a fantastic footballer. He was skilful. There was a nice wee piece in the papers where he said he did not enjoy seeing that photograph of him with Billy Bremner. He said 'it portrays me as a bully and I don't like bullies'. He was a humble person.
John Greig said: said:
Mackay had the lot: he was fearless and aggressive, had two good feet and the heart of a lion. In addition to these attributes, he could pass the ball with tremendous accuracy, take long throw-ins and he tackled like a tank. It's not often that you get a player who can tackle so effectively and also pass a ball with precision.
Jimmy Greaves said: said:
My old Tottenham team-mate Dave Mackay was the most complete professional footballer I've ever known, on and off the pitch. He was a genuinely hard b****d and a truly gifted ball player a combination which is so rare. Dave could play in any outfield position, was a world-class midfield enforcer and sweeper and even understudied for me up front when I was suspended for a European semi-final.
Denis Law said: said:
Forget your Dalglish's or your Blanchflower's. Mackay was the man. He made everybody play.

In fact, his control was second to none, he was the cleanest striker of a ball at the club and he passed with the utmost precision. In training he would astonish team-mates by volleying continuously against a wall from ten or even 15 yards - anyone who doubts the difficulty of this trick should attempt it for themselves - and later, as Spurs captain, he would run on to the pitch, kick the ball high in the air, then catch it infallibly on his instep, a subtle form of intimidation that demanded of his opponents. 'Can you do that?'

WAS HE TESTED AGAINST THE BEST?

Mackay was highly respected in British football at a time when England were developing the depth of talent that would win the World Cup. In the 1960s there too was a strong Scottish generation who were a ball-hair away from ousting eventual runners-up Czechoslovakia from a spot at the 1962 World Cup, going down late in extra time of a third play-off between the sides. Despite the competition, he was widely seen as the foremost central midfielder in the game.

George Best choosing Mackay in his best ever XI played with or against said: said:
Now he did kick me a few times! Probably the hardest player I ever played against. When he broke his leg, he got up as if it was a slight knock. Also an extraordinarily good footballer. Covered the ground superbly and could pass as well as anybody. A key player in Spurs' great Double-winning side and also won the League with Derby some years later.
Sir Bobby Charlton on his toughest opponent said: said:
Dave Mackay was a tough customer, one of those who talked to you on the field. He was a bit caustic, he liked to goad you, and whisper in your ear: “Come on, let’s see you do something then...” He was such a brave and tough player, fantastic both at Spurs and Derby County.
Not bad praise coming from a man who went head-to-head against Beckenbauer, Zito, Clodoaldo, Bremner, Symaniak, Coluna et al in midfield.

EUROPEAN CUP SEMI-FINAL VERSUS BENFICA: SECOND LEG 1962

The Daily Telegraph said: said:
This was a memorable match, and off all the great players on the field more than any it was Mackay's match. At times it seemed he would willingly have played single-handed. No one ever possessed more energy or resilience, more power to come and come again. No one will ever forget his solo efforts in the last quarter of an hour, bringing Perreira to his knees and, with mere seconds to go, hitting the bar.
Cliff Jones former Spurs winger said: said:
It was the beginning of the glory, glory European nights and no team wanted to draw us, partly because of the atmosphere that our crowd would generate. We beat everyone at White Hart Lane, even Eusébio’s Benfica, although they got past us on aggregate. Eusébio didn’t get a kick in either leg but he did have Dave Mackay marking him. Mackay was quite intimidating. We’d wear all-white strips in Europe and there was just something about those evening kick-offs. The air seemed a bit fresher and it was as though you could run a bit longer and a bit faster.

You talk about Pele, George Best and the all-time greats and Eusebio’s right up there alongside them, he’s in that company. But when we met again in 2010, the one player he wanted to know all about was Dave Mackay. Eusebio told me he was the most feared player he ever came up against. I still say Dave was the most influential player I’ve ever played alongside. He could change teams, change games, he did it at Hearts and after Spurs, he went to Derby and took them to to the title. He was an absolute winner.
Eusebio said: said:
He was the finest wing-half I ever played against.
credit to @Gio for his post

Skizzo

I'm also not sure if Seeler will be countered so easily with the support around him either. With the supporting cast able to beat a man and deliver a cross, or find him in to his feet, and drag the defense around, I'd back the striker who scored double figured in 18 straight seasons for Hamburger SV. The Bundesliga's first top goalscorer, Seeler is a handful even without the level of player around him. Plus a nice fella all around too, based on this (somewhat) short little story.

Uwe Seeler was born in Hamburg in 1936 and followed his father in playing for his local club. Jump forward seven decades later and a gigantic bronze statue of the striker’s foot sits outside the 57,000 seater Volksparkstadion as a mark of respect to the club’s greatest servant.

The statue is a carbon copy of a foot which, allocating for headers and weak-footed efforts on his left peg, scored over 500 goals for the club which yielded just a single German championship title in 1960 and a German Cup three years later (he scored all three in a 3-0 win against Borussia Dortmund).

It is a very modern debate as to whether or not players should receive awards such as the Ballon d’Or based on their own individual records, performances and statistics, or on reflection of their team’s trophy cabinet in a given season.

With limited success in the trophy cabinet during a period where Hamburg were the forever hard-luck story of domestic German football, Seeler stood firmly in the category of shining individual brilliance — himself coming third in the 1960 Ballon d’Or poll behind Ferenc Puskás and Spain’s Luis Suárez.

Seeler had the opportunity to move abroad on numerous occasions. Despite turning down offers from clubs such as Inter Milan, his legacy remains to be remembered as one of football’s greatest ever players and without conceivable doubt one of Germany’s favourite sons.

Seeler’s statistics are nothing short of phenomenal — 507 goals scored for Hamburg and 43 for his country in 72 appearances, where he captained West Germany all the way to the World Cup final in 1966, only to be beaten by Bobby Moore’s England in front of 96,000 fans at Wembley.

His father Erwin, himself a footballer, enrolled the young Uwe in Hamburg’s academy when he was just 10-years-old, with that burgening loyalty never faltering at the offers of lucrative deals across the continent. Helenio Herrera was said to have offered the forward a staggering annual salary of 155,000 Deutsche Mark on top of a signing-on bonus of 500,000 if he joined Inter Milan in 1961.

With broad shoulders, a receding hairline and a short height but ox-like frame, even from a very young age Seeler looked like an old-fashioned player. He played like one, too.

“Uwe Seeler was deceptive,” wrote Uli Hesse in his book Tor! The Story of German Football.

“One look at him and you knew he was probably good in the air, difficult to separate from the ball and possessive of a fearsome fighting spirit. Yet you would also maybe think he was pretty slow and lacked intricate ball skills.

“Well, you would quickly find out that he could explode over the crucial first yards and perform scissors and bicycle kicks without batting an eyelid. But then it would be too late.”

The reason Seeler didn’t end up joining Inter, who would go on to lift the European Cup just three years after Herrera’s offer, was largely because of his unwavering, humble loyalty to Hamburg.

But also curiously because of a job West Germany manager Helmut Schön had managed to organise with an up-and-coming sports manufacturer — adidas — which paid handsomely.

“Well-paid, of course, is a relative term,” writes Hesse on Seeler’s job as an adidas representative. “But knowing Seeler it seems certain he would have stayed anyway, as there has seldom been a more down-to-earth and straightforward football star in this country.”

It was that job at adidas which paved the way for a piece of League of Ireland folklore some 1,500km away at Turner’s Cross.

Seeler hung up his boots to retire in 1972 as a one-club legend of Hamburg. However an offer in 1978 arose to play a final match — an exhibition game alongside former Hamburg team-mate and fellow adidas rep Franz-Josef Hönig for Cork Celtic.

Then aged 41, Seeler agreed under the impression that it was a game which would, owing to his star name, attract a huge crowd as a fundraiser to save a financially unstable Cork Celtic from going out of business.

What he didn’t know, and in fact didn’t find out until afterwards, was that the game against Shamrock Rovers was an official League of Ireland fixture. Regardless, Seeler bagged a brace in the 6-2 defeat — one of which a stupefying overhead kick — as the result bled into a year of more lows than highs for a club which would go out of business just a year later in 1979.

“It had something to do with my job,” Seeler said of the one-off game in late April 1978 speaking a number of years later.

“The adidas representative in Ireland (Michael O’Connell) asked me to do a guest performance. I did not know that in Ireland they were allowed to enroll guest performers, who back then played in normal league games, and so I came.

“I lost, but scored two goals and the club wanted to keep me straight. I was already too old, but it was still a nice experience.”

Some squad lists even named Seeler as a member of the 1977/78 Celtic squad, with an offer on the table from the club to keep him there permanently. Even the reports of the emphatic Rovers win, featuring a 32-year-old Eamon Dunphy in midfield for the Hoops, ignored John Giles’s side in favour of the star attraction.

“Shamrock Rovers outclassed Cork Celtic in the league at Turner’s Cross yesterday, but some outstanding football from them did not overshadow Celtic’s guest player Uwe Seeler,” wrote the Irish Times.

“The legendary West German former World Cup star scored two of the best goals of the season in a two minute period of the second half to give the small attendance a unique look at his famous talents.

“He showed devastating shooting power with a right foot volley that beat goalkeeper Alan O’Neill from 18 yards after 57 minutes and within two minutes he scored again with an acrobatic bicycle kick from the edge of the penalty area.”

The report continued: “Seeler had undertaken to play just once for Celtic in an arrangement with his employer, the giant West german sports manufacturer adidas, but his impact in the game was such that Celtic must have regretted he was not in a position to help them earlier in the field.”

It was nothing more than a cameo and such was the game’s insignificance to Seeler he mentions the experience as nothing more than a footnote in his autobiography ‘Danke Fußball’: ‘Thank you, football’.

Perhaps the now 81-year-old reflects bitterly over being coaxed into a professional league game when he came under the nobel intentions of helping a struggling football club in Ireland from the brink of extinction; his reward being the fact that he can, technically, never be referred to as a one-club man to his one true love Hamburg.

Although it may seem inconsequential to a player who scored 500 goals, was named German Footballer of the Year three times, featured in four World Cups and captained his nation to the 1966 final at Wembley, Seeler’s evening’s work at Turner’s Cross will forever be immortalised in folklore and oral history by those who deem the League of Ireland the Greatest League in the World.

Because back in decades past, seeing star players don the crests of Cork Celtic, Waterford United, Sligo Rovers, Shelbourne and St Patrick’s Athletic was an all-too common thing for legends such as George Best, Bobby Charlton, Dixie Dean, Jimmy Johnstone, Geoff Hurst and Gordon Banks.

As the new season kicks into gear in a few short weeks with Cork City once again donning the three stripes of adidas, they will know the significant and sometimes bizarre history that comes with it.

They will realise the importance of making new memories for new generations as they go about defending their first ever league and cup double, but also of keeping alive the memory of the club’s unique past.

One which no less featured a 41-year-old World Cup captain scoring a bicycle kick down at the Cross in front of less than a thousand supporters lucky enough to be present the day Uwe Seeler’s boots sparked magic for the very last time.

“The genius of Uwe Seeler transcended all else in this Bass League game at Turner’s Cross,” noted the Cork Examiner in their prophetic match report on Monday 24 April 1978.

“Shamrock Rovers played some excellent football, clinched a place in the Top Four, outplayed Celtic without three of their first team regulars… but Seeler’s two breathtaking goals will live long in the memory when all else has faded.”

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Tempted to vote skizzo for not posting that fraud santos compilation

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Although it may seem inconsequential to a player who scored 500 goals, was named German Footballer of the Year three times, featured in four World Cups and captained his nation to the 1966 final at Wembley, Seeler’s evening’s work at Turner’s Cross will forever be immortalised in folklore and oral history by those who deem the League of Ireland the Greatest League in the World.

Because back in decades past, seeing star players don the crests of Cork Celtic, Waterford United, Sligo Rovers, Shelbourne and St Patrick’s Athletic was an all-too common thing for legends such as George Best, Bobby Charlton, Dixie Dean, Jimmy Johnstone, Geoff Hurst and Gordon Banks.

As the new season kicks into gear in a few short weeks with Cork City once again donning the three stripes of adidas, they will know the significant and sometimes bizarre history that comes with it.

They will realise the importance of making new memories for new generations as they go about defending their first ever league and cup double, but also of keeping alive the memory of the club’s unique past.

One which no less featured a 41-year-old World Cup captain scoring a bicycle kick down at the Cross in front of less than a thousand supporters lucky enough to be present the day Uwe Seeler’s boots sparked magic for the very last time.

“The genius of Uwe Seeler transcended all else in this Bass League game at Turner’s Cross,” noted the Cork Examiner in their prophetic match report on Monday 24 April 1978.

“Shamrock Rovers played some excellent football, clinched a place in the Top Four, outplayed Celtic without three of their first team regulars… but Seeler’s two breathtaking goals will live long in the memory when all else has faded.”
I'm pretty sure that he thought that it was a friendly and didn't intend to feck up his one-club man status in such a clumsy way :lol:

Enigma_87

You know who
Why Gigi Riva remains the ultimate Italian striker

Riva is still the standard by which all Italian strikers are judged.

In Stillness and Speed, Dennis Bergkamp’s autobiography written with David Winner, the Arsenal legend speaks about his tough time in Serie A with Inter Milan. Bergkamp had graduated from Ajax’s academy, excelled in the first team under Johan Cruyff and become one of the hottest properties in European football. In the summer of 1993 the forward had his pick of clubs, but chose Inter. By the end of his two-year stay, Bergkamp was so unhappy with football he considered retirement.

The source of his discontent was essentially a culture clash. Bergkamp was a fish out of water in every sense. His introverted nature sat uneasily with his Latin teammates. While on the pitch it was as though they were playing different sports. Despite AC Milan’s success in the late eighties and early nineties, playing an attacking 4-4-2 formation with high pressing, the rest of Italian football was suffering the withdrawal symptoms from catenaccio. Inter defended deep, leaving two strikers up front and looked to get the ball forward quickly, with as few passes as possible. ‘I look back and my defenders and the other midfielders are still deep in their own half!' Bergkamp said. 'There’s a huge space between us and it's dead space! It’s killing me’.

Inter's style was the antithesis of what he was used to at Ajax and the Dutch forward, despite being one of the best players of his generation, was deeply unsuited to it. ‘I need other players around me,’ he says in the book. ‘That’s when I become a good player... I need them to be moving for me.' In Italy, the forward needed to be an individualist but Bergkamp was a collaborator. What Inter needed was a striker like Gigi Riva.

Luigi 'Gigi' Riva turns 70 today and was the most feared striker at the height of catenaccio's success, in the late 1960s and early 70s. A hero for Cagliari, he was the driving force behind their sole Scudetto and scored an incredible 164 goals in 315 games. Riva also remains the record goalscorer for the Italian national team, a considerable feat considering the strikers that have since graced the Azzurri. Rombo di Tuono (Thunder Clap), as he was christened by Italian writer Gianni Berra, was a powerful, prolific and technically gifted forward. John Foot, in his book Calcio: A History of Italian Football, says Riva’s shot was so powerful that Cagliari’s first-choice goalkeeper would skip training. Clocking in at 120km per hour, they were known to cause injury, even breaking one unfortunate nine-year old boy’s arm.

Born in Leggiuno, a small town in the northern Italian province of Lombardy, on November 7, 1944, Riva's family were poor and he endured a tough childhood. When he was nine his father died in a factory accident and Riva would spend three years in a strict religious school. However, his football talent was spotted aged 18 by Legnano, a club in Serie C. The following year, 1963, the striker moved to Cagliari, a club in Serie B who had never previously competed in Italy’s top flight.

Riva said that upon arrival on the island of Sardinia it seemed like 'where they sent people in order to punish them’. However, by the time his career was finished, the centre-forward was worshipped by the locals and the island had become his spiritual home. The crowning glory of his career was the 1969-70 season. Cagliari, rank outsiders, won their first and to-date only Scudetto, losing just twice and conceding only 11 goals in the process. It was the first time a team from south of Rome won the championship and a feat that would not be repeated until Diego Maradona led Napoli to their maiden title in 1987.

Cagliari was coached by 'the Philosopher' Manlio Scopigno and featured the Brazilian Nené, Domenghini, a brilliant right-sided midfielder, and Azzurri goalkeeper Ricky Albertosi. But the team’s star, and driving force, was Riva. Scoring 21 goals in 30 games, the striker was at times spectacular. From powerful long-range shots to overhead kicks and thumping headers, Riva’s armoury was as versatile as he was deadly. His volleying ability was unrivalled and his overhead-kick against Viacenza, in 1970, is still widely remembered among Italian football fans. Cagliari won the title with two games to spare - if ever a team's success was down to one man, Cagliari in 1970 was it.

The striker was renowned for his confidence and became a celebrity figure. Local journalists covered him full-time and, according to Foot, 'Bars and bedrooms were plastered with photos of Riva, and not just in Sardinia. Numerous statues of the centre-forward were sold and placed in bars all over the island'. Despite the attention, Riva's remained focused, 'I am not an actor, writer, salesman, singer or anything else. I live only for football'.

Riva would, however, taste disappointment with Italy at the 1970 World Cup in Mexico. The Azzurri reached the final, but were crushed 4-1 by the great Brazil side of Pelé, Jairzinho and Carlos Alberto. Riva scored three goals in the tournament, including one against West Germany in a classic semi-final. Until that game, Riva had been criticised for his performances by the Italian press, while his private life was placed under further scrutiny. Following such a spectacular club season, Riva was expected to lead Italy to glory as he had two years previously.

Italy’s European Championship victory in 1968 was their first post-war international title. In Rome’s Stadio Olimpico, the Azzurri won the final replay against Yugoslavia 2-0, with Riva opening the scoring. The striker retired from international duty in 1974, having scored 35 goals in 42 games. His 40-year record remains intact, despite the careers of players such as Paulo Rossi, Roberto Baggio and Christian Vieri. Had Riva not suffered numerous injuries, including two broken legs, the record would have been undoubtedly higher.

Riva as part of his role with the Azzuri.

The 1969-70 season would be the pinnacle of Riva’s career. The effect the number 11 had on Sardinia goes beyond his goals for Cagliari and, it could be argued, is akin to only Maradona’s significance to Neapolitans. Sardinia, before Riva arrived, was a rural, economically backward and relatively lawless place. Cagliari’s rise, fuelled by Riva, coincided with the development of Sardinia, as the Italian state pumped much-needed capital into the island. The Italian writer Stefano Boldrini even credits the striker with the island’s modernisation. Riva ‘forced shepherds to buy transistor radios so that they could follow Cagliari’.

The striker's bond with Sardinians was strengthened by the numerous advances he turned down from bigger, northern clubs. In 1967, Juventus signed him, but he refused to leave so the transfer was cancelled. Riva said: ‘I would have earned triple. But Sardinia had made me a man.' The Turin club had reportedly once offered six players in exchange for the striker. Riva, however, would finish his career with Cagliari, playing his final game in 1976. Speaking about his bond with Sardinia, Riva said: ‘It was my land. In those days, they called us shepherds and bandits around Italy. I was 23 and the great Juve wanted to cover me in money. I wanted the Scudetto for my land. We did it, the bandits and shepherds.' Cagliari retired his number 11 shirt nine years ago.

Riva was the greatest Italian centre-forward in the post-war era and remains the benchmark against which all Azzurri strikers will be judged. At the height of catenaccio he was the most feared forward in Serie A. Bergkamp may not have liked facing five defenders alone, but Riva thrived on it. Buon compleanno, Gigi.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Really tight. Great sides but I just think Terry could be exposed a bit in this system especially up against Matthews. Small margins but that is what swung it.

Skizzo

Really tight. Great sides but I just think Terry could be exposed a bit in this system especially up against Matthews. Small margins but that is what swung it.
Thats probably the one small difference. Garrincha is probably the best winger, then matthews and Dzajic, and then Joya. Not much in it really, but then there’s Terry as cover on one side, and Shesternyov on the other.

I also think we have a slightly more diverse goal threat. Not by much, but like you say, fine margins. Aerially (Seeler), outside the box (Seeler, Rivellino), from out wide with the wingers, set pieces with Rivellino. I’d say his full backs were more highly rated, but I think both my center backs stand clearly above.

Enigma_87

You know who
Whilst I expected Terry to be underrated he's not really up against Matthews most of the time and he whilst he will cover for Leo Junior I'd consider Garrincha much greater threat against Pavoni if we're isolating 1 on 1 battles.

Also Riva has definite advantage over Chumpitaz in the air and his agility and strength is something that should be considered if we're comparing again individual clashes in both defences/attacks.

Enigma_87

You know who
Thats probably the one small difference. Garrincha is probably the best winger, then matthews and Dzajic, and then Joya. Not much in it really, but then there’s Terry as cover on one side, and Shesternyov on the other.

I also think we have a slightly more diverse goal threat. Not by much, but like you say, fine margins. Aerially (Seeler), outside the box (Seeler, Rivellino), from out wide with the wingers, set pieces with Rivellino. I’d say his full backs were more highly rated, but I think both my center backs stand clearly above.
That would leave Riva against Chumpitaz in the box however which imo works in our favor.

Seeler's aerial ability is well matched by our CB pair with both Terry and Tresor being really well suited to position themselves in the box and counter the opposition threat.

I really like your attack and generally was going to make a case of our midfield trio(Tigana, Fernandinho, Giresse) having a tad more work rate and ability to close down the opposition players better, but the margin is imo negligible to even make a case for it.. :D

In terms of defence I consider Tresor to be the best CB out of the four then comes your pair and Terry. Our full backs are IMO better as you mentioned. Very much close in midfield and attack with tiny margins here and there.

Enigma_87

You know who
Gonna be gone for a while to finish up training day. Good luck for the last little bit @Enigma_87 one last bump before I go :wenger:
Not much action in terms of votes anyway, mate. Think it ends up dead even and as my lowest scoring game so far :D

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
just saw enigma tried to sell his 4231 as 433, should have punished that bullshit :(
sorry skizz, this game is on me.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Not sure why Skizzo insists on his graphics being demonstrated in a 4-2-3-1 when its more often than not a 4-3-3. Mauro Silva is not a 4-2-31 player for me, should always be at the base of a 4-3-3. Rivellino is a great AM to make it work. I get that its a hybrid, but seeing Mauro in a 4-2-3-1 sort of takes the sheen away for me from an otherwise excellent team..

Skizzo

Heads. Skizzo wins.
The most anti-climactic win in draft history. Unlucky @Enigma_87

Not sure why Skizzo insists on his graphics being demonstrated in a 4-2-3-1 when its more often than not a 4-3-3. Mauro Silva is not a 4-2-31 player for me, should always be at the base of a 4-3-3. Rivellino is a great AM to make it work. I get that its a hybrid, but seeing Mauro in a 4-2-3-1 sort of takes the sheen away for me from an otherwise excellent team..
I suppose it’s the downside of trying to portray things in one graphic. It makes more sense to me to show it that way than having

Rivellino —— Mackay
Silva​
I get what you’re saying though. Maybe it’s just my character flaw :D

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
I mean, you could have really used my vote as tiebreaker. But oh well, as soon as I love @Enigma_87 team he is out. :lol:

I suppose it’s the downside of trying to portray things in one graphic. It makes more sense to me to show it that way than having

Rivellino —— Mackay
Silva​
It's perfectly fine. Mauro Silva played in 2 in Deportivo.

Enigma_87

You know who
The most anti-climactic win in draft history. Unlucky @Enigma_87

Rivellino —— Mackay
Silva​
Best of luck ahead mate, love your team :)

I mean, you could have really used my vote as tiebreaker. But oh well, as soon as I love @Enigma_87 team he is out. :lol:
ahh :( Not sure if it would've count either way as Edgar pinned it as coin toss to be used as a tie breaker...