Exclusion Draft SF: Physiocrat vs Himannv

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

............................................ TEAM PHYSIOCRAT ....................................................................................................... TEAM HIMANNV ...................................................

TEAM PHYSIOCRAT

Tactics – Direct/ Mixed
Formation – Lopsided 433
Defensive Line - Balanced
Marking – Zonal

Eusebio has a free role from the left (Zebec is tasked with providing the width on the left in tandem with Junior) so he can drop deep and dribble, then cut inside and shoot – clearly his two best attributes. He can also appear at the far post for a cross by Finney from the right. Alberto Spencer spearheads the attack with his off the ball movement, pace, dribbling and of course heading ability which will be made good use of by Finney and Zebec on the overlap.

The midfield three have almost a perfect mix of attributes: Bozsik the playmaker architect, Goncavles DM/DLP and Junior industrious AM., Hungarian legend Josef Boszik who has complete control to run the midfield as he sees fit – the movement of the front 3 will give him ample options so too will his technically accomplished partners. Clearly the midfield three will put in a shift off the ball too so will be a defensively solid collective too. Junior will not only provide good passing but can drift leftwards and link up with Zebec. Gonvacles anchors the midfield with his clever positioning and tenacious tackling.

As mentioned before Zebec will be an attacking left-back with Djalma in a more balanced role although he will get forward more than he did behind Garrincha (Finney will link up better given he was more of a versatile winger). The all-rounder Carlos Mozer will be the more aggressive CB with Roma legend Aldair as more of the sweeper making use of his good passing range and organisation in defence. If they manage to pass the back 4 then one of the early sweeper keepers and excellent shot stopper Grosics will be difficult to pass.

Here’s another outing of Synco’s excellent Zebec video. Unfortunately there is no complete game of him online, but this collection of clips really gives you a good idea of what type of player he was.

TEAM HIMANNV

Tactics: 4-4-2 counterattacking

Defense:

• Hard-working team off the ball.
  • This team is built to run and close down spaces for most of the game.
  • All players have defensive responsibility and a high-work rate.
  • No weak links defensively.
Attack:

• Good creativity to make their chances count when they get them
  • Players with passing ability in all parts of the pitch in order to get the ball forward quickly.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
HImannv has an excellent side. I do think I have the edge however in goal scoring. Eusebio is the best goalscorer on the pitch and has greater than 1 in 1 records in some seasons. He has entire freedom and with the added creativity of Junior on that left side of the pitch he will be a serious menace to Tresor and McGrain. Alberto Spencer is the all-time Liberatores top scorer and is much more than just a header of the ball. He was quick, could dribble and linked well with his teammates.

Finally, Finney had a 1 in 2 record when he moved to essentially a second-striker position. Whilst he won't score quite as much here, he will have more freedom on the right-wing than he did at Preston so will contribute more than he did in many of his seasons as a more traditional right winger. As mentioned in previous games Djalma will get forward more than he did behind Garrincha.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
both sides are brilliant, have no idea how to separate them

Himannv

Agree about Eusebio and Finney playing on the wrong sides here.

A good team from Physio and there aren't really many weaknesses. I think the Aldair + Mozer pairing is solid, but I feel Tostao and Elkjaer will give them problems as I feel they're a really difficult duo to deal with.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Finney and Eusebio are spot on there. Finney wasn't half the player from the left as he was from the right, quite reminiscent of Messi.

Eusebio on the other hand was not miles apart in his left and right sided gigs.

Even looking at the fullbacks, Zebec is almost ideal for Eusebio while Djalma/Finney makes a lot of sense considering the era and style of wing play they played in.

Would be a sure shot vote loser in my eyes if Finney and Eusebio were placed any different than how they are currently

Himannv

I think Tostao is a bit underrated at times. He's a lovely little player in my view with excellent defensive work rate off the ball, good runs off the ball, and nice little flicks and touches to play others in and connect the play. He's also quite a good dribbler and has nice little touches to get past defenders in tight spaces. This all-touch compilation highlights all of that plus he scored a couple of goals against quite a strong Peru team (mute the music for this one):

In this game against Uruguay (who were also a very strong side at the time), he turns provider with two assists, great little touches, superb vision, and, as usual, lots of work.

I think he's an unsung hero in that 1970s Brazil team and his skill on the ball, high work rate, and involvement in the game were an important addition to that side that won the World Cup.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Eusebio on the left, sigh!

Why can't Finney a natural left footed player be on the left? He even started his career as Inside Left iirc.

Swap them, NOW.
As GSTQ has noted Finney was much better on the right. Despite looking like a very trad winger in the all touch compilation in the FA Cup final he was known as the Phantom Winger, there used to be a pub called that in Preston. He only played on the left for England to accommodate Matthews.

I watched quite a bit of Eusebio before this draft started and his best attributes were his dribbling and shooting. With his free role here he can maximise both of those - he can drift in and shoot on his right which is the most natural way to do it.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I think Tostao is a bit underrated at times. He's a lovely little player in my view with excellent defensive work rate off the ball, good runs off the ball, and nice little flicks and touches to play others in and connect the play. He's also quite a good dribbler and has nice little touches to get past defenders in tight spaces. This all-touch compilation highlights all of that plus he scored a couple of goals against quite a strong Peru team (mute the music for this one):

In this game against Uruguay (who were also a very strong side at the time), he turns provider with two assists, great little touches, superb vision, and, as usual, lots of work.

I think he's an unsung hero in that 1970s Brazil team and his skill on the ball, high work rate, and involvement in the game were an important addition to that side that won the World Cup.
Tostao is a great player and a great team player. I think though having Gonvacles minding the space in front of the CBs will reduce his influence.

On Elkjaer I think the physicality of Aldair and Mozer match up quite nicely to him.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Finney and Eusebio are spot on there. Finney wasn't half the player from the left as he was from the right, quite reminiscent of Messi.

Eusebio on the other hand was not miles apart in his left and right sided gigs.

Even looking at the fullbacks, Zebec is almost ideal for Eusebio while Djalma/Finney makes a lot of sense considering the era and style of wing play they played in.

Would be a sure shot vote loser in my eyes if Finney and Eusebio were placed any different than how they are currently
Yep - like the ability of both wide forwards to cut in and head for goal.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Well played @Physiocrat

Some feedback from all would be nice. I'm not sure what area to really improve here.
Given the restrictions it is hard to improve that. I do think you could have a bit more firepower. So either someone more productive instead of Zagallo or a much more attacking LB behind him. You might be able to upgrade one of the front two but I'm not sure of the pool.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Well played @Physiocrat

Some feedback from all would be nice. I'm not sure what area to really improve here.
Your fullbacks are a bit conservative as a couplet for my liking. The right back area can definitely use a much more aggressive full back. Especially with De Bruyne there. Don't need to worry about balance even if it's someone who is wingback is added as the collective workrate is off the charts and there seems to be decent covering players available.

And as much as I like Elkjaer in this team, getting a 9.5 would be amazing if someone like Eusebio is available. Tostao was a 9.5 himself and pairing him with another 9.5 like Pele makes the most sense IMO.

I guess Bossis is another area that can be looked at to upgrade for the optics.