Expectations for 2019/2020 Season?

StrettyEnder07

Tell you what, if you are feeling depressed don't come on this forum haha seen someone say 8th! Get a grip

If we get rid of the deadwood, Gomes, Chong, Greenwood, Tuanzebe are integrated into the first team squad and we finalise deals for Wan Biasska, Fernandes, a top CB and a top class RW then think we will finish 3rd or 4th quite comfortably.

Hopefully close the gap on the top boys by some amount and go for the domestic cups plus obviously Europa.

If the squad is as it is now, then a big fight for 4th but expecting quite a bit of movement between now and start of August.

greendevil

Top 4 finish, hopefully see youth given a chance in the League Cup and Europa League (we take that competition seriously it'll affect our league campaign) and possibly a good FA Cup run depending on the draw

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Too early to tell, aim should be top 4 and a cup (FA Cup would be nice). Hopefully our transfer dealings match these ambitions.

Svartzonker

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2022/23
Top 4 is what I want and I would be happy with just that.

I would also like to some of our younger players developing and stability in our performances. Move on from that and we will become much better long term.

FireballXL5

Our first dozen fixtures are...

Chelsea H
Wolves A
Crystal Palace H
Southampton A
Leicester H
West Ham A
Arsenal H
Newcastle A
Liverpool H
Norwich A
Bournemouth A
Brighton H

We'll have a good idea how things are going after that little lot!

Infra-red

Largely depends on what happens in the next 7 weeks or so. If we have a successful window and fill the gaping holes in the squad, and Ole is able to get performances from players who haven't really performed since February, then we stand a decent chance of top 4.

Otherwise, we'll be battling for top 6.

Rafaeldagold

People have accepted a novice manager who didn’t show any plan or style of play & most seem happy with that - they accept a poor season with Ole as he’s not Mourinho or something, & don’t seem to care.

So 6/7th most likely

VanGaalyTime

I said last summer that I expected there to be significant protests and for Mourinho to be sacked or resign around November. Simply because we didn't know how to use the transfer market. We're having the same issue. I expected Manchester City and Liverpool to improve, and Arsenal and Spurs to make astute signings. Meanwhile, we will probably only sign three of four players, (AWB, James, and Rabiot) and go backwards. We'll likely sell Pogba and be in profit for transfers. I expect massive, unparalleled protests around the club this season, and a change of ownership around January 2020.

Fosu-Mens

Depends on transfers.

Chelsea: Lost Hazard. Transfer ban. Pulisic is not a top 4 starter. Giroud up front. Not as good as last season.
Arsenal: If they can fix their defence and replace Ramsey they might be up for a top 4.
Leicester, Wolves and Everton might surprise us.

I think it is more or less up to what we do this summer in regards to transfers, fitness and creating a team instead of 11 individuals on the field that will decide whether we get top 4 or not. Arsenal and Chelsea will not be much better than last season at best. The goal should be to recruit players that will make us likely to get top 4 and then spend big next season with CL in the works.

VanGaalyTime

Depends on transfers.

Chelsea: Lost Hazard. Transfer ban. Pulisic is not a top 4 starter. Giroud up front. Not as good as last season.
Arsenal: If they can fix their defence and replace Ramsey they might be up for a top 4.
Leicester, Wolves and Everton might surprise us.

I think it is more or less up to what we do this summer in regards to transfers, fitness and creating a team instead of 11 individuals on the field that will decide whether we get top 4 or not. Arsenal and Chelsea will not be much better than last season at best. The goal should be to recruit players that will make us likely to get top 4 and then spend big next season with CL in the works.
I think the opposite. I think we should capitalize on the disarray at Chelsea and Arsenal now and buy top level players while other teams are struggling. The tricky thing is Liverpool and Spurs are much better at scouting players. I can see one them getting one or two of the many world class players currently available for less than 50m from France. Meanwhile we focus on buying British and fall behind Wolves.

Fosu-Mens

I think the opposite. I think we should capitalize on the disarray at Chelsea and Arsenal now and buy top level players while other teams are struggling. The tricky thing is Liverpool and Spurs are much better at scouting players. I can see one them getting one or two of the many world class players currently available for less than 50m from France. Meanwhile we focus on buying British and fall behind Wolves.
Not saying that we should spend as little as possible, given that it would take serious investment to make this squad a top 4 favourite on paper. Only that we should not overpay and spend stupid amounts on British players. Our homegrown quota is already good. So we are really in agreement. My issue is that we should not overspend this season, and thus limiting the amount we could spend next season when we can offer CL and thereby attract better players.

We could easily get a XI capable of top 4 with 100m net spend, including the £15m spent on James.

wolvored

It could be anywhere from 3rd to 8th depending on who we get in, who leaves and how we perform. Will we be able to play the fast high press attacking football ole wants? If Pogba is forced to stay, will he get stuck in and be the heartbeat, or sulk and drift around the pitch doing as little as possible? I really can't call it one way or the other, at this present time.

lewwoo

Whatever else happens I hope Ole completely hammers them in pre season. Fitness levels were not acceptable last season. I fear he wont have the balls to do it though once a few 'stars' start complaining and slacking off.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Oh man, everyone are so positive and upbeat!

I for one am fkn hyped about next season for many reasons, but here's what i think will happen next season, and leading up to the season.

Signings: Daniel James, Wan-Bissaka, Bruno Fernandes, Ruben Dias.

Players out: Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanches, Matteo Darmian, Antonio Valencia, Marcus Rojo.

Short summary events:

1) David De Gea agrees to terms with the club on a new contract. Talks are ongoing and the player will eventually settle to a new and improved deal.
2) Paul Pogba wont find a suitor who can afford the clubs £150m asking price - and thus remains with the club.
3) Fans keep raving about Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford and more having a side business and a social media profile in a generation where everyone has a social media profile. "Focus on playing football" "Maybe if he spent as much time practicing as he spends taking selfies" "I HATE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE GARBAGE" - Manchester United Fan, Twitter/Facebook/Instagram 2019/2020. Thus a decree is made that only fans are allowed on the internet, or to have friends. Football players are only allowed out of their ballpit captivity for extended practice and matches. Family visitations twice per year.
4) A new song is made about Phelans shorts
5) Fans will blame Ed Woodwards perceived incompetence for not signing everyone they targeted.
6) Rampant negativity to be replaced with astonishing positivity every time a match is lost or won
7) The more negatively inclined fans will call for Ole's head if we are outside of top4 after 5 games played. "Amateur manager!" "Should have waited, then hired someone better" "Everyone are clueless" "I would do a better job" "&%#!&/!%"!"
8) Everyone loses their minds when JLingz promotes a product amidst a period of 2 successive losses - Calls for the player to be sold.
9) Everyone hates on Ashley Young, bench or no bench
10) Everyone hates on everyone who are not having career seasons
11) Mason Greenwood has a breakout season - Scores 10 PL goals in the 2019/2020 campaign
12) Marcus Rashford scores 15 goals
13) Paul Pogba scores 13 goals, sets new assist personal best - Still dances, still has fancy hair
14) Daniel James has first career goal against Liverpool - 3-1 away victory
15) Manchester United wins the Europa League
16) Bruno Fernandes becomes a fan favorite
17) Team loses both matches against Manchester City - team gets blames for being clueless, Ole don't know what tactics are, and everyone on the team are overpaid a**holes
18) Man United wins first 5 matches in the season. Tops the Premier League table after 8 rounds. Gets relegated to 2nd place after losing 1-2 to Liverpool at Old Trafford Oct 19th.
19) Manchester United finishes the Premier League in 3rd at the conclusion of the season. Fans calls for Ole to be fired for mid season struggles that see the team fall out of title contention. Phil Neville tells everyone off. Everyone gets offended for being told off by Phil Neville.
20) Manchester United gets beat out of the League Cup in the quarter finals.
21) Manchester United wins the FA cup over Arsenal. Paul Pogba scores twice, Marcus Rashford once. Ashley Young scores own goal.
22) Manchester United finally appoints a director of football to start work in 2020/2021

Last edited:

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Sounds obvious, but this transfer window is absolutely crucial.
Yes, we've been saying that each window for the past few years, but I really do feel that this window is a crossroads and the last chance to turn this around.

Ole simply must be ruthless with this squad, because if he isn't, I fear his days are already numbered, and he will be made the scapegoat for the inevitable crash.

As much as I approve of the signing of Dan James, its unlikely that he will be a first XI starter to begin with, so I believe that its essential that 4 quality first XI starters are bought in to replace Young RB, Jones CB, Matic MC and also a CM replacement for Herrera. I do think that if we can get those 4 players in, then the under performers will raise their game.

Its a big if, but if, we can make those 4 quality signings, the right signings, then I am hopeful that we can push on to a top 4 finish and also win the Europa (UEFA Cup) and the whole standard and quality of our football improves ten fold.
The other side of the coin, is that if these players are not signed, I think we'll have a tough time finishing in the top 6, Leicester, Wolves and Everton might be much more of a threat.

ForestRGoinUp

Based on my opinion only, which I don't expect others to hold, that we have not yet hit the bottom ebb of this decline, I expect bookmakers to release odds on Big Sam taking over as interim manager next season.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I can’t think of anything positive to say about the current playing staff or owners or ed or Matt judge, I’m also strongly starting to feel like Ole isn’t going to work out if he keeps lukaku and pogba but then if we sell pogba that’s our best player gone... it’s just all grim. I hope they can somehow prove me wrong next season but currently I really don’t see it. Why are we even having this conversation given the massive wages we pay? We should be making CL every year no matter who is in charge. That’s what our wage bill suggests we are.

Dr Fink

It depends on the "ins and outs" player-wise. Until I know the squad of players that Ole has, then personally I cannot see any change.

Gizzyspop

Think we will get 75-80 points and finish 3rd this season.

Win the Europa League.

Rashford our top scorer with 18-22 league goals

TrueRed79

If you look at how we have reacted since the end of the last season in terms of structure/signings, it doesn't look good for us. Can see us finishing 6th/7th and things turning really toxic by November after seeing the fixtures that were released today. Basically i have zero faith in the players or the club to turn things around.

WeedmineR

I think we will be 6th.
Will get knocked out in 1/4 EL.
FA cup and mickey mouse we don't stand a chance after 2nd matches.

ExecutionerWasp001

Our end of season showing was relegation form. The majority of these players are going to be forming our starting 11 this coming season. It has already been proven these players lack either the quality, mentality, or both to get us back to where we should be. I see us finishing between 7th & 10th with Ole leaving at some point, having his contract terminated by mutual consent.

RedDevilRoshi

At this moment in time, I’d probably say 5th and that’s me being optimistic.

Winning the Europa League is our best chance for Champions League qualification.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

I want to see a young hungry dynamic Manchester United team playing brave attacking football and with a clear direction of where they're heading.

This will be a successful season for me. The foundations need to be laid.

AshRK

It can't get worse than last season or at least that's what I hope for. I am all for giving a fair chance to Ole but the last two month's performances does not give me that much confidence. It's not like we will be making whole sale changes from that squad. Still pretty much the same team so hopefully Ole does weave some magic and get us good result or it can go worse for us.

Sp00ks11

Our first dozen fixtures are...

Chelsea H
Wolves A
Crystal Palace H
Southampton A
Leicester H
West Ham A
Arsenal H
Newcastle A
Liverpool H
Norwich A
Bournemouth A
Brighton H

We'll have a good idea how things are going after that little lot!
No shit Sherlock considering that's over a quarter of the season played..

I think a hard fought battle for Europa League places with Wolves, Arsenal, Watford, Everton and Leicester.

AshRK

Ole will be out by November - Carrick or butt to take over and they do well.
And then woodward gives them a permanent contract after some good wins only for them also to fail and get sacked. They cycle will go on and Woody will just sit wondering what is happening.

RedDevilRoshi

Oh man, everyone are so positive and upbeat!

I for one am fkn hyped about next season for many reasons, but here's what i think will happen next season, and leading up to the season.

Signings: Daniel James, Wan-Bissaka, Bruno Fernandes, Ruben Dias.

Players out: Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanches, Matteo Darmian, Antonio Valencia, Marcus Rojo.

Short summary events:

1) David De Gea agrees to terms with the club on a new contract. Talks are ongoing and the player will eventually settle to a new and improved deal.
2) Paul Pogba wont find a suitor who can afford the clubs £150m asking price - and thus remains with the club.
3) Fans keep raving about Jesse Lingard, Marcus Rashford and more having a side business and a social media profile in a generation where everyone has a social media profile. "Focus on playing football" "Maybe if he spent as much time practicing as he spends taking selfies" "I HATE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE GARBAGE" - Manchester United Fan, Twitter/Facebook/Instagram 2019/2020. Thus a decree is made that only fans are allowed on the internet, or to have friends. Football players are only allowed out of their ballpit captivity for extended practice and matches. Family visitations twice per year.
4) A new song is made about Phelans shorts
5) Fans will blame Ed Woodwards perceived incompetence for not signing everyone they targeted.
6) Rampant negativity to be replaced with astonishing positivity every time a match is lost or won
7) The more negatively inclined fans will call for Ole's head if we are outside of top4 after 5 games played. "Amateur manager!" "Should have waited, then hired someone better" "Everyone are clueless" "I would do a better job" "&%#!&/!%"!"
8) Everyone loses their minds when JLingz promotes a product amidst a period of 2 successive losses - Calls for the player to be sold.
9) Everyone hates on Ashley Young, bench or no bench
10) Everyone hates on everyone who are not having career seasons
11) Mason Greenwood has a breakout season - Scores 10 PL goals in the 2019/2020 campaign
12) Marcus Rashford scores 15 goals
13) Paul Pogba scores 13 goals, sets new assist personal best - Still dances, still has fancy hair
14) Daniel James has first career goal against Liverpool - 3-1 home victory
15) Manchester United wins the Europa League
16) Bruno Fernandes becomes a fan favorite
17) Team loses both matches against Manchester City - team gets blames for being clueless, Ole don't know what tactics are, and everyone on the team are overpaid a**holes
18) Man United wins first 5 matches in the season. Tops the Premier League table after 8 rounds. Gets relegated to 2nd place after losing 1-2 to Liverpool at Old Trafford Oct 19th.
19) Manchester United finishes the Premier League in 3rd at the conclusion of the season. Fans calls for Ole to be fired for mid season struggles that see the team fall out of title contention. Phil Neville tells everyone off. Everyone gets offended for being told off by Phil Neville.
20) Manchester United gets beat out of the League Cup in the quarter finals.
21) Manchester United wins the FA cup over Arsenal. Paul Pogba scores twice, Marcus Rashford once. Ashley Young scores own goal.
22) Manchester United finally appoints a director of football to start work in 2020/2021

So what will be the score be against Liverpool at home? :D

Green_Red

I just want to see some improvement. We're too far behind to have any real expectations. Top 4 would be good but based on last season I think that will be hard to get again.

OleTheGreat

I understand that it can be difficult for Ole in his first year as the first coach but i think he will cope well. We will definitely be more positive in ball possession and will try to have balance in the team. With Shaw, Lindelof, (Maguire) and (Wan Bissaka) we'd have a nice back-line from where we can slowly move forward and create chances. I hope Pogba can trust Ole this one time and stay this season, he will definitely learn that Ole wants to win at any cost at United. I like the players that are attached to United in the transfer market and it seems we're in the market for the future, which for once now in the last 6 years, i believe is possible.

Priority:

# OT needs to become a FORTRESS again!!!
#Top 3
#Carabao & FA Cup runs
#Europa League Champs

When this happens, the world will look at us in a more fearful manner than they do at this moment.