Expectations for 2019/2020 Season?

RedB4ndiT

We'll be in a tough battle against the Wolves and a weakened Chelsea side for a top 6 spot.

passing-wind

New manager appointed by January.

As much as there have been positives with the recruitment and structural change I don't think Ole has the pedigree to keep momentum going. Once we lose or draw a fixture I feel like this team will undo him mentally. We are very much going into next season with the same spine of players, Einstein's theory of doing the same thing expecting different results is prevalent with our current circumstances.

Angelinho

4th + win Europa League.

It's easy to look at our problems and become despondent, but we are not the only one of the big six with problems. Whilst we may resolve some issues in the transfer market, Arsenal won't be any stronger, because they won't spend & Chelsea will struggle without Hazard.

Glideman

How about asking this just before the season starts with most/if not all our transfer business is done? This is just going to be another moanfest thread.

FireballXL5

No shit Sherlock considering that's over a quarter of the season played..

I think a hard fought battle for Europa League places with Wolves, Arsenal, Watford, Everton and Leicester.
Those first 12 games just take us up to the beginning of November. It's a pretty good indicator of whether the season is going to shit or not. I think we're going to struggle on all fronts.

Zeno

Actually I think we are on the verge of something really good over the next couple of seasons.

Where we are now reminds me a lot of 2004 - 06. A lot of negativity, mutv interview, pressure on the manager, pressure on the young players.

But 3 key signings - Vidic, Evra and Carrick, high profile player exit, along with key young players maturing, changed everything.

So all we have to do is find another Vidic, Evra & Carrick.

Sounds simple enough.

Lentwood

I couldn't care less.....as long as the foundations are put in place

More important than league position for me are;

- appointing a Director of Football
- booting out any deadwood/bad influences/players who don't really want to be here
- blooding some young talent and start to see them improve

Let's face it, we are a million miles behind City and Liverpool. We're well past the point of being able to spend our way out of trouble and most of our best players are unsettled or openly want to leave. We are Liverpool pre-Michael Edwards/Klopp

This is going to take a total revamp and next year's league position is neither here nor there really

Rusholme Ruffian

Actually I think we are on the verge of something really good over the next couple of seasons.

Where we are now reminds me a lot of 2004 - 06. A lot of negativity, mutv interview, pressure on the manager, pressure on the young players.

But 3 key signings - Vidic, Evra and Carrick, high profile player exit, along with key young players maturing, changed everything.

So all we have to do is find another Vidic, Evra & Carrick.

Sounds simple enough.
er, we had the best manager in the world in charge in 2004...that's quite an important part of the story isn't it?!

Zeno

er, we had the best manager in the world in charge in 2004...that's quite an important part of the story isn't it?!
Absolutely. Though at the time even Fergie was heavily criticized.

There are lots of differences between now and then. But there are also enough similarities to show that a few key signings can have a dramatic effect on a team in a very short time.

Reactions: nimic

hn4manunited

My expectations regardless of how our transfer business ends up, fighting for a top 4 finish but likely finishing top 6.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Some will say that it is moaning but this is how i think that our season will be;
First stage- transfer window.
We will keep all deadwood except Darmian. We will sell Lukaku and maybe Pogba( probably not).
We will buy 3-5 decent players, with good potential but neither of them will be top class.
Second stage- Ole's reign
We will struggle in most of games, results and general play will be mix of everything( something like WLDWDLW.....). We will finish year in 7th or 8th place).
Third stage- new manager, again caretaker
In 2020 we will hit new low. Ed will hesitate to fire Ole. He will be fired in february leaving us in 8th place. New caretaker manager will come, nothing will change. We will finish season without Europe.

Yeah, i don't have a good feeling. Please don't judge me:(

peridigm

Holding my expectations until August 8th 5pm. Right now, they're not great.

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
We'll be in a tough battle against the Wolves and a weakened Chelsea side for a top 6 spot.
Wolves are likely to drop off a fair bit because of their involvement in the Europa league - which will stretch and strain their squad a fair bit.

Depending on outs and ins this summer, there's no reason why United shouldn't be in a decent shout for top 4.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
How about asking this just before the season starts with most/if not all our transfer business is done? This is just going to be another moanfest thread.
Exactamundo. Though that would deprive one’s opportunity to revel in self-loathing.

Crustanoid

Our parasite owners finally go and we get people who actually care about the trajectory of this football club

jackal&hyde

If we can avoid a major manager meltdown like we had last season, with the current squad i expect top 4. If we add the right players, then top 4 and building a team to compete for the title next year.

I can't believe the pessimism on here. We had a horrific situation with a manager that created one of the most toxic environments i've ever seen at a big club and even so we almost managed top 4. We beat and were better then Arsenal and Chelsea and we beat the "genius" Pochettino. We draw against Liverpool and were ok against City until we fell apart in the second half. Add the right players and we are significantly better then Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham.

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

If we can avoid a major manager meltdown like we had last season, with the current squad i expect top 4. If we add the right players, then top 4 and building a team to compete for the title next year.

I can't believe the pessimism on here. We had a horrific situation with a manager that created one of the most toxic environments i've ever seen at a big club and even so we almost managed top 4. We beat and were better then Arsenal and Chelsea and we beat the "genius" Pochettino. We draw against Liverpool and were ok against City until we fell apart in the second half. Add the right players and we are significantly better then Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham.
Sense at last.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
A lot depends on our competitors obviously: if Wolves can build-on last season, if Everton's good form at the end of the season is a sign of things to come, how much of an impact Rodgers can have on Leicester over a full season, etc. - you'd think at least one of them will progress, pushing us down to 7th at best.

We're looking at a season where we're either going to have a new squad of players and starting XI that needs time to gel, or we'll have to deal with key players in Pogba, DDG, Lukaku and maybe even Rashford that don't want to be at the club anymore. Either way next season isn't one to have high expectations for, it's one of transition (again).

Last edited:

Mibabalou

53', 93', 94', 99', 90+1', 90+3', 26', 34'
The first two matches will have huge effect on the whole season, hazard less Chelsea at home and Wolves away. If we lose both it will be doom and gloom.

Overall I expect top 4 and deep runs in league cup / fa Cup / Europa. Like quarterfinals at least, a lot depends on the draw but that’s my baseline.

sawduck

Supports
celtic
If the management gets its act together and brings in some top quality players then hopefully top 4
If we fail to bring in great players and are stuck with the useless squad we currently have we will probably finish 7th
This transfer window is so crucial,hope we don't leave signings until the last minute

AllezLesDiables

Injuries are always the great unknown, but I think City is #1 because of their depth. Missing KDB for most of the year and still putting up 98 points is ridiculous.

Liverpool is #2 because they lack depth of City. More of a team unit than City. I think they may drop off a bit but still should be around 90 points this year.

After those two it becomes much more murky.

Spurs are #3 but only because they have less dysfunction than Chelsea, United, and Arsenal.

4-6 toss up. Chelsea seems to always figure things out despite treating managers like handy wipes. I think Hazard bailed them out quite a bit. They are a bit of a wildcard in that they are being forced to use their loan army because of the ban, but it may serve them well in the long run. If Lampard gets hired he will get more time based on his club status and the ban.

United is more of a question of getting out of its own way. The fix is much easier at United because there aren’t financial obstacles like there are at Arsenal. The issue is getting football minds in place along with an organized long term plan.

The Daniel James signing is one of the first astute signings in recent memory because the investment is smart. Even if he busts the investment is small. However, if he becomes the next Giggs then 15 million quid was spent for a 100 mil player with homegrown status.

Chances are is that he will end up somewhere in the middle and that still reflects good business.

Arsenal seem to be in the most trouble long term unless ownership starts investing in the club in a big way. They have a bunch of bloated contracts for players who have questionable mentalities but they only have enough of a budget for one good player. They are going to kill Claude and they are in serious danger once the rest of the league gets stronger. The PL used to be 4 top teams now it is 6. It’s a matter of time before more teams can compete.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Could we skip three seasons, and have expectations for 2022/23? Third in a nail biting contest with Newcastle United. Liverpool win the title for the XXXth time. City relegated from Division One.

VJ1762

So, what are Arsenal doing? Heard from AFTV that they are in for Zaha, Tierney and some Brazilian striker who is apparently the next Gabriel Jesus. Do you guys even have a significant budget? Looks like emery will have to perform a miracle again next season. What is the situation with Ozil/laca/auba? Are you buying any defenders and defensive midfielders?

sp_107

Some will say that it is moaning but this is how i think that our season will be;
First stage- transfer window.
We will keep all deadwood except Darmian. We will sell Lukaku and maybe Pogba( probably not).
We will buy 3-5 decent players, with good potential but neither of them will be top class.
Second stage- Ole's reign
We will struggle in most of games, results and general play will be mix of everything( something like WLDWDLW.....). We will finish year in 7th or 8th place).
Third stage- new manager, again caretaker
In 2020 we will hit new low. Ed will hesitate to fire Ole. He will be fired in february leaving us in 8th place. New caretaker manager will come, nothing will change. We will finish season without Europe.

Yeah, i don't have a good feeling. Please don't judge me:(

I would be happy if we sell few players like Darmian, Rojo, Jones, Baily and release Young but looks like it wont happen in this window.

We want our management to be ruthless but no signs of that, I can only hope atleast we play like Ole first games in charge until X-Mas at least, so we will be in top4 and it gives us some thing to look forward to.

If the Club is not seriously trying to sign Ole's targets like Ndombele, Bruno then we can't blame Ole but Ole him self ignores top tier talent and focus on talented youngsters he has to blame himself as we need a mix of top quality with promising youngsters.

I dont think Lukaku, Matic, Martial, Rashford can be that kind of talent can boost the youngsters.

The more I think about the current situation the more I feel disgruntled but only hoping some kind of spark that can take back club to good times.

Moiraine

If Harry Maguires deal is done, we will have a much improved defence. If we score enough goals, we can surely finish in the Top 4 next season.

For challenging the league, we need a top class finisher up front, one right winger and a world class midfielder.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
I think the club will end third this season. I have a more in-detail evaluation that I want to type out but that'll have to wait for later. I just need to come down of my Harry Maguire high first.

Moiraine

I think the club will end third this season. I have a more in-detail evaluation that I want to type out but that'll have to wait for later. I just need to come down of my Harry Maguire high first.
Okay, I have started following you, and will wait for your in-detail evaluation.

How long you think you will be able to post that ?

RoLo

I expect us to challenge for 3rd/4th. I think Spurs have an edge over us right now but I don't see anything in a Frank Lampard led Chelsea or this current Arsenal side that we should be fearful of. With lowered expectations I think we could have an enjoyable year.

@RedB4ndiT if we're battling with Chelsea and Wolves for 6th (with the losers of said battle finishing 7th and 8th) who have you got finishing 5th?

Moiraine

Tomorrow probably, got a full plate today.
I am still upset at the feck up at the end of last season. We should have finished in Top 4. I was so disappointed that I stayed away from football for a month.

I really hope we have our batteries charged for the new season and for once, we start rotating our squad, giving players proper rests during the season.

Albin Johansson

Considering our lack of investments on RW and the seemingly increasing likeliness of us signing of Bruno, Longstaff or Lemina types of players, maybe Ole are planning for a 4-1-2-1-2 midfield diamond with either Pogba or Bruno in the advanced role, and Rashford, Martial, James, Greenwood (and perhaps Ben yedder) at the front as these players can provide width when necessary.

Getting Maguire, Bruno and Lemina in would give us a top 4 squad, surely? Altough that is me being incredibly optimistic.