Expectations under Ole: 2019/20

Sterling Archer

No numbers. Bring back the soul of the club, Ole...

Play with bravery, to entertain and inspire. Attacking without boring. I don't need endless possession.

Play with heart. I want to see blood and sweat and every blade of grass shredded up every game.

Be progressive. Take advantage of all the analysis tools we have in this age. Be well prepared for matches.

Be youthful. Keep that link with the academy strong. They don't need to play every match but keep them close.

Be ruthless. First signs of rot, get rid of the player. We aren't a second rate club that panders to prima donnas.

BaneIsPain

Europa league winner,squad improvement and making Old Trafford fortress again

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
Seriously you cant sack him if he fails to get top 4, most people want a massive cull of players out.
I don't know how fans can be so demanding of a minimum position in the table. There are at least 6 teams competing for 4 places. Some years you will most likely miss out. Especially while rebuilding.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
I don't know how fans can be so demanding of a minimum position in the table. There are at least 6 teams competing for 4 places. Some years you will most likely miss out. Especially while rebuilding.
It is totally nonsensical. If you have Ole on a 3 year contract he should be given at least 2 of them to try and make a go of it. There is a clear pattern of hiring and firing going on since Fergie. Ole will need 2 windows just to get all the players out he wants out.

SambaBoy

For me, top four playing attractive football is what I expect. LvG and Jose were sacked because of their style of football mixed with some dreadful results. We talk about a philosophy and how we should play the United way so the minimum I expect is to playing in an attractive style and come close to top four. With Chelsea banned from signing anyone, and Arsenal having limited resources compared to us, I expect us to get the top four with a good summer of recruitment and if Ole can implement a style.

It would be good to see some youngsters blooded into the side and see if they have what it takes. The Europa League is a difficult one, it's obviously good to do well in a competition but it comes with negative baggage. Travelling to Azerbaijian, Ukraine and Russia on a Thursday night before a tough away trip in the PL on weekend, where it's historically tough to perform. I expect Ole to rotate heavily in that competition next year, not necessarily just play the kids, but with the squad 'depth' we have, we can field a strong rotated team.

SER19

I just never want the fans to turn on him. Let his fate ultimately be decided by performance but he deserves more than the unfiltered hate the previous three managers got from some section, and of course many fans stayed respectful. I hope he avoids finding himself in one of those civil war situations at the club as there is no question he will always be putting club and fans first,

Football wise I’d like to see some exciting football and a hugely visible difference in on pitch attitude, work rate and desire. To see ole lift a trophy as a manager would be special.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Top 4 with an established style of play is the minimum expectation.
Same for me if we have a relatively quiet summer.

If Ole gets rid of a host of players in the summer and puts more faith in youth, top 4 won't be that important IMV. We need a culture change. That's a long-term project.

Redtings

Same for me if we have a relatively quiet summer.

If Ole gets rid of a host of players in the summer and puts more faith in youth, top 4 won't be that important IMV. We need a culture change. That's a long-term project.
Agreed. Getting rid of deadwood is far more important than signings, as the youth can fill the gap. Results like top 4 or cups would be nice, but I'd rather see proof that the club is moving in the right direction. And hey, team rebuilds can be exciting if done right.

Ole also needs to firmly establish his style of play and a clear identity that we can get behind, as I'm not too sure on what our style of football actually is under him (something along the lines of a high-pressing counter-attacking side that occasionally uses a low-block when against good opposition are my observations).

Last edited:
Reactions: nimic

Giggs86

Summer clear-out.
Established style of play.
Fitness level improved by a significant margin, no more players half-assin' every game.
A top 4, maybe even some title challenge and a good run in the cups would be expected.

Bestietom

This is his first transfer window and he needs to make a statement with 4/5 players who can start the transformation for us.
We all want to see good attacking football, but we also need to get our defence in order so I would like to see us bring in a CB,RB 2 Midfielders and a RW first. This would be a good summer if we can get in the right payers. Then I would expect a top 3/4 finish with a good run in the cups and Improve from this the following year.

There is talk about a 30 point gap between us and the top 2. Remember Liverpool finished 25 points away from City last season and some 7 away from us. So with the right recruitment we can do the same.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Depends on the attitude of the owners. The focus should really be on them.

Last edited:

buckooo1978

not sure this thread is timed right.....

our progress next year will be seriously impacted by;

• will we get a decent DoF in
  • will we be able to shift the players we dont want
  • will we be able to extend some of the players we want to keep or will they need replaced
  • will we allocate the necessary funds for players to Ole
  • will we be able to attract the players we want
  • what will City, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal and Liverpool go in the market
if all goes relatively well we should be in with a shout of Top 4 - that's all you can reasonably expect

Kemizee

A top 4 finish should be the target. Dont put pressure to win it, we wont!! We need time, ole needs time, stick by our manager for a change.

What do i expect? More of greenwood, tanzebe, mctominay. Why not? What ever happened to promoting players from our academy. Give rashford his chance to establish himself as a world class player. Get rid of poor performers. Get rid of players who want to leave, pit faith in players who would relish the opportunity of playing for united, players who’d give it their best week in week out. That’ls what id expect.
How many more chances and how convinced are you he is world class material?

fps

In terms of results, Top 4. United have to be Arsenal next year with Top 4 as a "trophy" for a team that's likely not going to win a trophy.

Rista

Interesting how much our standards have fallen that people are expecting us to finish outside top 4 and are fine with that. So did Jose do a miracle last season by finishing 2nd with this team then? Even if Liverpool are stronger now, the other teams below them are not. And even with our dreadful run, we're still 3rd on table since Ole took over. In terms of results, top 4 should pretty much be a minimum expectation for any manager here. So much talk about the 'united way' and then settling for 6th does not make sense to me.

Josh 76

It's never as bad as it seems
Example signings
Get Maguire in , lindeloff starts playing well.
Get Wan Biska in, Shaw starts playing well.
Get in a Freki in, Rashford and Martial start playing well.
Get in a high energy CM , Mctomminy and Pogba start playing well.
All of a sudden the team get confidence and a winning mentality is created. This is how it works. Not by getting rid of 8 players and bringing in 8 players.
Can't see why UTD can't be pushing for 3rd place.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Top 6. However there need to be tangible improvement on what we see on the pitch, loads of deadwood need to leave + some kids need to be given a real shot.

devilish

Interesting how much our standards have fallen that people are expecting us to finish outside top 4 and are fine with that. So did Jose do a miracle last season by finishing 2nd with this team then? Even if Liverpool are stronger now, the other teams below them are not. And even with our dreadful run, we're still 3rd on table since Ole took over. In terms of results, top 4 should pretty much be a minimum expectation for any manager here. So much talk about the 'united way' and then settling for 6th does not make sense to me.
Mou was here for 2 years where he spent 400m on tripe. The expectations were of course higher.

Give Ole 400m and 2 years to sort this crap and we'll expect him to be top 4 as well.

Bestietom

A good Job means:-

If Ole can rid the club of Deadwood,
Generate a long term plan for the football needs, ( including transfer dealings)
Sort out the wages mess, and the trouble it is causing,
Get us up challenging for honours again.

Then he will have done his Job well.

Josh 76

A good Job means:-

If Ole can rid the club of Deadwood,
Generate a long term plan for the football needs, ( including transfer dealings)
Sort out the wages mess, and the trouble it is causing,
Get us up challenging for honours again.

Then he will have done his Job well.
Honours meaning PL and CL.
Not league cup or Europa league like Mourhino and paper over the cracks.

Mr Anderson

Eats, shoots, leaves
Hard to vision next season - as it really comes down to the business we do this summer.

The lads we have don’t care. They get high wages and build their brand, what they do on the pitch is further down the list of their priorities.

If we don’t shift lads out and get new blood in, Ole could be in big big trouble, might even walk out at Christmas.

If we get lucky and Woodward decides to man the feck up - we are still in and around Arsenal and Chelsea level - another battle for 4th for me.

Expectations are real low - we are ran so poorly and are a bloody circus. No leadership from above so and manager would struggle here. We are years away from anything. In a worse position than when Moyes was sacked.

Hughie77

It's going to be about the same as this season, or worse.? Players we got are at best top 6 or lower, all depends on the recruitment and development in summer.

A decent cup run may be on cards, because Utd have always respected it. I have more question than answers at present so do the club and Staff.

6th again , FA cup Quarters ? League cup out straight away, Europa league Group stages. Hope its better

united for life

How many more chances and how convinced are you he is world class material?
What is rashford? Is he a right winger? Left winger? Striker? Fair chance is a good run in his preferred position as a striker. He has performed well when played there when Ole took over. Don’t just write rashford off mate, he’s 21 and will only improve

Lentwood

I expect the club wont settle for missing out on top four.

Personally, I think we have a mountain to climb. 7th would surprise me less than fourth - obviously good recruitment could change this (so probably not then!)

Woziak

Woodward is just far to detached from reality he will sit down with Oe and say the following;

• The good news is Pogba not being Sold at any price!
  • De Gea, Alexis, Darmian, Rojo, Bailly and James Wilson are being Sold for £140M
  • Juan Mata, Valencia and Herrera all leaving on a free, you need to use the youth to replace them with Angel Gomes, Eithan Laird and Scott McTominay
  • Dean Henderson is to be the new No 1;
  • You can have £150M + £50M for player sales because I have a marquee signing up my sleeve (Gareth Bale will then be signed for £85M yes Woodward will do something this stupid and put him on £600k per week!)
  • Then Woodward will force Ole to accept the 'Dyballa' transfer of £85M so he will have £115M left to buy a CB, RB, RW, CM, CDM
  • Ole decides on Daniel James (15M), Toby Auderweireld(25M), Idris Guaye(30M), A Wan Bissaka(45M), A Rabiot(Free)
  • Woodward buys Koulibaly for the whole £115M and tells Ole there is no more money this window so the club sign Bale, Dyballa and Koulibaly
  • Three players come in and eight leave with 5 being promoted from the Youth.
If any of you seriously do not think this is how Woodward conducts transfers in the last 7 years, then you are living in an alternative universe, so right now, I would just settle for a normal transfer window where the Manager gets the players he wants and needs and then the club finishes in a Top 3 position in the PL, because if you get what you want and have the resources of Man United, even coming third is failure but at least it would be a solid base in the current circumstances to build on.

Woziak

It's going to be about the same as this season, or worse.? Players we got are at best top 6 or lower, all depends on the recruitment and development in summer.

A decent cup run may be on cards, because Utd have always respected it. I have more question than answers at present so do the club and Staff.

6th again , FA cup Quarters ? League cup out straight away, Europa league Group stages. Hope its better
Wow, feel your pain bro but it's not going to be that bad, the Europa League is becoming increasingly easier for English EPL teams to win since the CL spot was given. Our wage bill is €270M per year even with the 25% reduction, this alone would probably dwarf the other 3 teams in our Europa Group league combined. I think EPL will start well then Fall away and we might be 4th with great investmentsthis summer, can see us wining LC, early knock out in FA CUP and trying to win Europa League again.

Rista

Mou was here for 2 years where he spent 400m on tripe. The expectations were of course higher.

Give Ole 400m and 2 years to sort this crap and we'll expect him to be top 4 as well.
It's the same squad though? Unless we're saying a manager cannot perform unless he buys his own players which is not how any other top clubs work and in which case we're in massive trouble. It's important to be realistic but settling for top 6 is a defeatist attitude and isn't the way forward either.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That Ole has someone who can coach defenders how to defend and attackers how to put the ball in the net. Then we might get somewhere.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
Top 4 as long as the transfer ban hurts Chelsea and Emery doesn't fully gel with Arse. Or Spurs with a "hungover-not hungry" anymore season (Poch gone this summer, anyway?).

Decent FA Cup run.

EL favorites.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Top four & a side that looks more coherent. By which I mean a side with a plan and players brought in who suit that plan.

Also, workrate.

If we get that I'll be pleased because we currently have none of it.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we don't get top four though, even if we do get the rest. At which point I would still stick with Solskjaer.

Red Royal

Get the team playing for the badge. Anyone messing eith contracts show them the door. Needs a great wondow with help from Ed.

Choose a decent captain, promote some kids and sign some experienced but not ageing upgrades.

Top 4 is the realistic aim. Anything more is a bonus.

devilish

It's the same squad though? Unless we're saying a manager cannot perform unless he buys his own players which is not how any other top clubs work and in which case we're in massive trouble. It's important to be realistic but settling for top 6 is a defeatist attitude and isn't the way forward either.
Its really a shit squad who don't deserve to be anywhere near to top 4. Now if someone spent 400m to assemble that tripe then he must bring in results. However you can't just expect a new manager to just waltz in and turn these squad of donkeys into world beaters.

rotherham_red

Fully agree. Anyone who thinks otherwise just has an agenda