Expiring Contracts 2022/2023

Stobzilla

Official Team Perv
Thought I would have a look at this ahead of time, some big names in here and although a lot have a +1 option. I genuinely think we are better off just walking away from some names this summer.

Marcus Rashford (+1 option)
Luke Shaw (+1 option)
Cristiano Ronaldo (+1 option)
Fred (+1 option)
Diogo Dalot
David de Gea (+1 option)
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong
Phil Jones (+1 option)
Alejandro Garnacho
Tom Heaton (+1 option)

There is about £62million per annum coming off of the wage bill there. Out of those listed I obviously am a bit jumpy about the Garnacho situation, if we don't play him this year then someone else will and I think he will dart.

Amongst those I think it is only smart to activate Rashford and Shaw's options just because we can probably recoup some transfer fee next summer even if knocked down.

More upheaval coming next year as well I reckon.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Yep no renewals except for Ganarcho.

Anyone think they are going to start negotiating they can get fecked. No more rewarding mediocre performances.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Fred can be kept on as a squad player (but nowhere near the starting XI). Garnacho will hopefully sign.

As for the others, only exercise the options if we're confident there will be interest from other clubs. Otherwise, actively try to sell them now or let them leave at the end of the season for free.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Garnacho aside, I don’t think I’d massively be bothered if we don’t retain any of those players. I think I’d actively look to let De Gea and Ronaldo go. Two huge positions if (replaced correctly) will massively change the complexion of the side.

Dalot will get an extension just down to the fact he’s currently our starting RB, and we don’t have the option(?), but I’d extend with the intention of letting him go.

Shaw, Rashford, and Fred should all be up for sale next summer (I’m assuming we’ll activate the plus 1) for the right sort of bid, which is kind of just any actual bid.

Tuanzebe, Jones, and Chong — thank you for your service.

Heaton can stay for the vibes and the fact that (hopefully) both Henderson and De Gea go.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Yep no renewals except for Ganarcho.

Anyone think they are going to start negotiating they can get fecked. No more rewarding mediocre performances.
If there's no renewals then they'll walk out on a free and we can't afford that, not when the squad is so thin. We'll end up giving players who don't deserve it contract extensions and most of them would take us to the cleaners as well. That is why we need a real DOF not that clown.

Castia

Just Garnacho for me.

+1 option on Shaw and Rashford

Imagine if we take the +1 on Jones :lol:

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
Watch us give the likes of Rashford and Shaw a bumper 5 year deal. I can already see Rashford getting 350k a week.

jimmyb2000

Those +1 options are not all they are cracked up to be. I remember reading about Paul Pogbas contract once we triggered the 1 year extension and it had some clause whereby we were not allowed to trigger it to further his sale so once you trigger it then the player in effect gets another year's wages but you can't sell him in that last year

jimmyb2000

Looking at that list we'd be best to try and offload Rashford and Ronaldo now and let all the rest leave on a free in 2023 bar Garnacho.

OleGunnar20

Fred can be kept on as a squad player (but nowhere near the starting XI). Garnacho will hopefully sign.

As for the others, only exercise the options if we're confident there will be interest from other clubs. Otherwise, actively try to sell them now or let them leave at the end of the season for free.
Spot on, came here to say exactly this.

RkkMan

Thought I would have a look at this ahead of time, some big names in here and although a lot have a +1 option. I genuinely think we are better off just walking away from some names this summer.

Luke Shaw (+1 option)
Fred (+1 option)
Diogo Dalot
David de Gea (+1 option)
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong
Phil Jones (+1 option)
Alejandro Garnacho
Tom Heaton (+1 option)

There is about £62million per annum coming off of the wage bill there. Out of those listed I obviously am a bit jumpy about the Garnacho situation, if we don't play him this year then someone else will and I think he will dart.

Amongst those I think it is only smart to activate Rashford and Shaw's options just because we can probably recoup some transfer fee next summer even if knocked down.

Dalot has an extra year option too. Anyway here`s what I`d do
Shaw- Trigger and make it clear its last chance salon our out
Ronaldo- Don`t trigger. Sell/release now or keep till his deal ends depending on his attitude
Fred- Same as Shaw
Dalot- Same as Fred and Shaw
De Gea- Let the deal end and release the player in 2023
Axel- Sell now
Chong- Sell now
Jones- Get rid now if possible
Garnacho- Extend
Heaton- Not arsed

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri

Luke Shaw (+1 option)
Fred (+1 option)
Diogo Dalot
David de Gea (+1 option)
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong
Phil Jones (+1 option)
Alejandro Garnacho
Tom Heaton (+1 option)

Shifting them four would be a start:
De Gea 19.5m per annum
Ronnie 27m
Shaw 8m
Rashford 10m

Jazz

If there's no renewals then they'll walk out on a free and we can't afford that, not when the squad is so thin. We'll end up giving players who don't deserve it contract extensions and most of them would take us to the cleaners as well. That is why we need a real DOF not that clown.
I'd rather they go on a free and free up the wages than stay and stink up the dressing room with their terrible mentality. There needs to be a break for them and us imho. The big names especially who won't be happy to stay as squad players. Just get rid.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arsenal
the problem is none of them will want to stick around in an underperforming team without us paying a premium to keep them. probably why we aren’t buying anyone this summer.

Jazz

the problem is none of them will want to stick around in an underperforming team without us paying a premium to keep them. probably why we aren’t buying anyone this summer.
And we can't keep paying them lots of money to do feck all. This is post covid time and a looming world recession coming up. It's not sustainable so better they leave on a free than we're stuck with their under performing ass and high wages. Would really piss me off.

FatTails

I’ll preface this by saying that I think De Gea has been a fantastic servant for the club and there are other positions that are in more dire need, but it makes no sense to renew him at his current wages, or exercise that +1 option. Let him go or negotiate much lower wages.

Hopefully Garnacho gets a chance so we know where we stand.

The rest, I couldn’t care less.

Godfather

This actually made me quite happy. Non of these should be renewed apart from Garnacho. Good times to see all that dross leave. I mean it sure will and we won't even consider giving these pricks an extension will we?

devilish

I'd rather they go on a free and free up the wages than stay and stink up the dressing room with their terrible mentality. There needs to be a break for them and us imho. The big names especially who won't be happy to stay as squad players. Just get rid.
The problem with that is that our club tend to struggle in signing new players. This year we needed 6-7 players. We ended up with 3 signings instead (one is a backup LB and the other one was a player with a pace maker who was signed as a free agent)

mikeyt

A shrewd club would see that Shaw and Rashford need to be sold this window or they'll leave for nothing / get new deals which would be the worst scenario, they've had enough chances and aren't cutting it anymore. However we'll definitely activate the +1 on both of them and Fred and eventually renew them because that's what we do. I think all 3 should be sold.

Dalot should be extended and sold if possible to protect a bit of his value, he can always be back up when we eventually get a decent RB.

Garnacho needs a new deal for sure.

De Gea and the rest should be sold now or released next summer. I truly hope De Gea is allowed to leave on a free next summer. Removing him and Ronaldo from the wage bill is essential to our rebuild.

Tibs

Only guaranteed thing is Phil Jones getting an extension

hobbers

Only player I would be upset at leaving on a free would be Garnacho.

None of those players in that list will be in the United team when we next win something. You can take that to the bank and cash it now.

Jazz

The problem with that is that our club tend to struggle in signing new players. This year we needed 6-7 players. We ended up with 3 signings instead (one is a backup LB and the other one was a player with a pace maker who was signed as a free agent)
I understand, but at least get rid of the major under performers on big contracts. We know Ronaldo will run out of here and can't lump him with the others as such.

I would let the following go for sure:

1) DDG
2) Shaw
3)Rashford (unless by a miracle he improves in the next 6 months) - but only renewed on a lesser contract - no increases which he probably won't go for.
4) Phil Jones

Would love to get shot of Maguire as well but of course he's on a longer contract. I think the above is a good start.
Fred I don't mind as a squad player but definitely not on an improved contract.
Heaton doesn't bother me as a 3rd option and doubt he's on anything that will break the bank.

Wouldn't mind sending Bruno away but that won't be realistic seeing as we renewed him just recently. Like a very stupid decision.

devilish

I understand, but at least get rid of the major under performers on big contracts. We know Ronaldo will run out of here and can't lump him with the others as such.

I would let the following go for sure:

1) DDG
2) Shaw
3)Rashford (unless by a miracle he improves in the next 6 months) - but only renewed on a lesser contract - no increases which he probably won't go for.
4) Phil Jones

Would love to get shot of Maguire as well but of course he's on a longer contract. I think the above is a good start.
Fred I don't mind as a squad player but definitely not on an improved contract.
Heaton doesn't bother me as a 3rd option and doubt he's on anything that will break the bank.

Wouldn't mind sending Bruno away but that won't be realistic seeing as we renewed him just recently. Like a very stupid decision.
If you ask me what United's major problems are then I'd say

A- The Glazers
B- The lack of a top quality Sporting Director + head of Recruitment

The latter issue can't be underestimated. A top quality Sporting Director will

a- keep the manager and the players on their toes. If a player is underperforming then the SD would demand why he's still at the club and would push for his release. The reason for that is that the more time this player stay at the club the more difficult it will be for the SD to find buyers for him

b- he's tasked to get rid of the dead wood. Some of them can perform miracles. For example Juventus are set to sell the French McT for 15m. The guy is on a silly salary having been signed as a free agent and he's got a toxic mother as his agent. Yet Cherubini still managed to find a seller for him and that despite not being anywhere near to his predecessor Paratici

c- he'll assess the squad and bring the right manager for it. ETH and Rangnick are great managers but their tactics are based on our team's weaknesses. Unless we went for a major surgery as Rangnick wanted then they would have struggled at United. A top quality SD would take that in account and act accordingly.

d- he'll restructure the club turning it into an efficient machine capable of identifying bargains and handling a high staff turnover.

I dare to say that Paratici was the sole reason why Spurs won the CL qualification race. He brought a proven winner like Conte who was capable to immediately settle down and in January he added two magnificent players on the cheap. We need someone like that at our club.

Till then we will be forced to give contract extensions to players who are constantly underperforming simply because we are unable to replace them all.

OmarUnited4ever

We have 5 first team players who had entered their final year, and the club has an option for each, which the club plan to trigger.

My thoughts: -

DDG - If there is an opportunity to sell, then sell please, or just trigger the 1 year extension and let him go on a free in 2024, it is close to impossible to sell him at his current wages.
Dalot - Should be renewed, but only if he is able to sustain good form for at least until April 2023
Shaw - Not sure, but if we can sell for a decent fee (40M+ or more), as of now, he does not deserve a new contract.
Fred - Should be renewed, but only if he is able to sustain good form for at least until April 2023
Rashford - Should be renewed on reasonable wages but only if he is able to sustain good form for at least until April 2023, Rashford can be a good player under Ten Hag, but he is not a top player (aka a Kane or Mane) who is worthy of a top contract.

The club should send a message that a new contract will not be rewarded just like that, players must perform to be worthy of new contract.

and please no more of that shitty idea of protecting assets, this is a chance for the club to show it is moving away from that nonsense that made the club renew Jones's contract!

Bwuk

Marcus Rashford (+1 option) - We will renew.
Luke Shaw (+1 option) - Think we will renew. If Fernandez has a great loan at PNE, and Malacia continues to impress in the first time I wouldn't be surprised if he goes though.
Cristiano Ronaldo (+1 option) - gone. Best for both parties.
Fred (+1 option) - gone. He'll be 30 year old, hasn't had a good game under ETH and we will likely be in for another midfielder again in the summer.
Diogo Dalot - We will renew.
David de Gea (+1 option) - We will trigger the one year, but I'm not convinced he'll stay much beyond that.
Axel Tuanzebe - Can't understand why he's still here.
Tahith Chong - I thought he'd left on a permanent to Birmingham already?
Phil Jones (+1 option) - He'll go. I think he'll retire.
Alejandro Garnacho - We will look to renew but if we aren't giving him game time I think he'll be smart enough to leave. He's destined to be a top player imo.
Tom Heaton (+1 option) - He'll go. Likely retire.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Marcus Rashford (+1 option) - We will renew.
Luke Shaw (+1 option) - Think we will renew. If Fernandez has a great loan at PNE, and Malacia continues to impress in the first time I wouldn't be surprised if he goes though.
Cristiano Ronaldo (+1 option) - gone. Best for both parties.
Fred (+1 option) - gone. He'll be 30 year old, hasn't had a good game under ETH and we will likely be in for another midfielder again in the summer.
Diogo Dalot - We will renew.
David de Gea (+1 option) - We will trigger the one year, but I'm not convinced he'll stay much beyond that.
Axel Tuanzebe - Can't understand why he's still here.
Tahith Chong - I thought he'd left on a permanent to Birmingham already?
Phil Jones (+1 option) - He'll go. I think he'll retire.
Alejandro Garnacho - We will look to renew but if we aren't giving him game time I think he'll be smart enough to leave. He's destined to be a top player imo.
Tom Heaton (+1 option) - He'll go. Likely retire.
Heaton, Jones, De Gea, Ronaldo all have no chance of a renewal. I wouldn't trigger De Geas extension either.

Chong and Axel should be sold and definitely not renewed.

Garnacho and Dalot should be extended.

The three tricky ones are Fred, Shaw and Rashford.

I would not extend shaw and look to sell him, same for Fred. Rashford I'd give him till after the world cup to make a decision.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Renew Marcus Rashford, Dalot,
Trigger De Gea extension,

Ronaldo won't be extended. Shaw probably won't be,

Garnarcho can't leave until 2025 so that's not a major issue.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Marcus Rashford (+1 option) - Trigger the +1 and start negotiations
Luke Shaw (+1 option) - Do nothing for the time being
Cristiano Ronaldo (+1 option) - Do nothing for the time being
Fred (+1 option) - Trigger the +1
Diogo Dalot - renew
David de Gea (+1 option) - Trigger the +1
Axel Tuanzebe - leave
Tahith Chong - gone
Phil Jones (+1 option) - leave
Alejandro Garnacho - already debunked that he's out of contract
Tom Heaton (+1 option) - leave

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Heaton, Jones, De Gea, Ronaldo all have no chance of a renewal. I wouldn't trigger De Geas extension either.

I would not extend shaw and look to sell him, same for Fred. Rashford I'd give him till after the world cup to make a decision.
Chong has already gone, to Birmingham City.

wolvored

Marcus Rashford (+1 option) - Trigger the +1 and start negotiations
Luke Shaw (+1 option) - Do nothing for the time being
Cristiano Ronaldo (+1 option) - Do nothing for the time being
Fred (+1 option) - Trigger the +1
Diogo Dalot - renew
David de Gea (+1 option) - Trigger the +1
Axel Tuanzebe - leave
Tahith Chong - gone
Phil Jones (+1 option) - leave
Alejandro Garnacho - already debunked that he's out of contract
Tom Heaton (+1 option) - leave
Agree with all apart from Fred. We dont need him average at best and woeful at times. let him leave

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Trigger all the +1 year extensions except Jones and Ronaldo. Might as well keep Heaton for another year as 3rd choice. The goalkeeping situation is a concern though. If Henderson isn't coming back and we don't sign Dubravka as a permanent backup, we could be in a position where we need to replace the entire GK unit in one go.

Not sure Fred and Shaw have a long term future here, but they're sellable assets who shouldn't walk for free next summer. Extend now. See how they do this season, and likely sell in the summer.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic

Luke Shaw (+1 option)
Fred (+1 option)
Diogo Dalot
David de Gea (+1 option)
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong
Phil Jones (+1 option)
Alejandro Garnacho
Tom Heaton (+1 option)

Ronaldo, De Gea & Tuanzebe should all be let go in the summer. Chong has already left permanently. Jones should have his contract terminated immediately.

Garnacho for sure should be extended. On current form Dalot as well, but I'd be wary about tying in for too long and increasing his pay too much still.

I think Fred you should probably just take up his option. He'll be 30 next season so you don't really want to give him an extension and he should be upgraded long-term, but he'd be a useful squad player for another year. Heaton I would possibly take up his option as well just for continuity at the GK position as both 1st and 2nd choices might change next year.

Rashford and Shaw are the tricky ones. Both on very high wages, both extremely inconsistent. If you could get them both on 3+1 deals on the same wages I'd say go ahead, but the way football works you just know they'll both be asking for new 5 year contracts with a significant pay bump and neither deserve it.

The problem is do you want to walk away from somebody like Rashford - who is a homegrown focal point of the club's image, is still only 24 and at his very best is a £100m player - and get nothing back for him? That would be a total disaster. His form also seems to be picking up a bit under ETH so far.

Shaw would probably be less a disaster especially if Malacia can continue on his fairly bright start and establish himself as the actual starter. But again he's in his prime years as a player and on top form one of the best players in the world at his position. To lose him for nothing would be an abject failure IMO as well when you consider how good he was a couple of seasons ago.

suheilsworld

Completely agree with this. Garnacho and Dalot should be extended and Rashford should be examined till after the WC to see if he sustains his form. If he is able to get back to his pre-injury levels, he deserves an extension.