Expiring Contracts 2022/2023

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I still feel that more contracts should be renewed without wage increases. Essentially no matter how well a player performs they get an increase when the contract is renewed.

Don't see anything wrong with saying to a player that they've performed on the level of their contract and it will remain the same, with a view to improving the salary if performances pick up.

Idxomer

De Gea's contract should absolutely not be triggered, save the 20m he's gonna earn and let him go for free. The club sells Henderson for 20-30m depending on his form in the rest of the season and here's your budget for the next goalkeeper.

That's what any well-run club would do which makes me almost sure they're gonna do the complete opposite.

justsomebloke

Extending Dalot, Rashford and Shaw are complete no-brainers, in my opinion. Their age and resale value alone dictates that. Long-term renewal maybe ideally should wait for a bit, until it is clearer how they fit into things for the longer term.

With Fred and De Gea, it's really a strategic choice of whether you go forward with them or not.

With Fred it's hard to see why you wouldn't extend, as he clearly still has resale value and has played enough (and well enough) for United that there should be some real demand for him. Also, it seems more than reasonable that he'll contribute as (at a minimum) a squad player for another year, even if we eventually let him go on a free. But a large new contract on big money is a very different cup of tea. That will mean we're stuck with him well into his thirties, and there should be a very firm and clear place for him to justify that.

De Gea in practice will be more or less unmovable on his current wages, and it's really, really hard to see that it would be self-evident at this stage that we want to go forward with him for the next few seasons. If he can't prove himself this season to work well within the sort of system ETH is installing, then why would we want to keep him around even for another season?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I still feel that more contracts should be renewed without wage increases. Essentially no matter how well a player performs they get an increase when the contract is renewed.

Don't see anything wrong with saying to a player that they've performed on the level of their contract and it will remain the same, with a view to improving the salary if performances pick up.
But what about the cost of living crisis?!

Cloud7

Marcus Rashford (+1 option) - Let him go now
Luke Shaw (+1 option) - Let him go now
Cristiano Ronaldo (+1 option) - Let him go now
Fred (+1 option) - Take the 1 year option
Diogo Dalot - Renew
David de Gea (+1 option) - Let him go now
Axel Tuanzebe - Let him go now
Tahith Chong - Let him go now
Phil Jones (+1 option) - Let him go now
Alejandro Garnacho - Renew
Tom Heaton (+1 option) - Let him go now
This is what I would do with these contracts. I am well aware this is not what will happen but this is what I would like.

MegadrivePerson

Marcus Rashford (+1 option) +1
Luke Shaw (+1 option) +1

Cristiano Ronaldo (+1 option) let go
Fred (+1 option) +1
Diogo Dalot Renew

David de Gea (+1 option) let go
Axel Tuanzebe let go
Tahith Chong let go
Phil Jones (+1 option) let go
Alejandro Garnacho Renew
Tom Heaton (+1 option) +1

That's what I would do. We don't want to lose too many players all at once!

Reactions: sizzling sausages

Dion

Rashford would end up at a much better club than us if we let him go for free.

Lentwood

Crazy the pack mentality has become so strong on here that the vast majority of posters want to release England's starting LB on a free transfer :confused:

Also, you've not got to search far to find a post from me being critical of Rashford but I certainly don't think we should be releasing him on a free either, that would be mental.

We'll see that these two can definitely contribute in a more organised team under ETH

Judas

Open to offers
I'll absolutely lose my head if we renew De Gea. Didn't think he should have got his last contract either. Can't see Ten Hag wanting him to carry on here unless he shows the sort of improvements he's simply not capable of.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Garnacho aside, I don’t think I’d massively be bothered if we don’t retain any of those players. I think I’d actively look to let De Gea and Ronaldo go. Two huge positions if (replaced correctly) will massively change the complexion of the side.

Dalot will get an extension just down to the fact he’s currently our starting RB, and we don’t have the option(?), but I’d extend with the intention of letting him go.

Shaw, Rashford, and Fred should all be up for sale next summer (I’m assuming we’ll activate the plus 1) for the right sort of bid, which is kind of just any actual bid.

Tuanzebe, Jones, and Chong — thank you for your service.

Heaton can stay for the vibes and the fact that (hopefully) both Henderson and De Gea go.
Only amendment on this is Dalot should stay as a rotation/potential first choice if he carries on how he is.

I'd still exercise the extension with Rashford to see how he does over the full season before giving him a +5 year deal.

CarbonStoolBites

Marcus Rashford (+1 option) New contract
Luke Shaw (+1 option) Trigger the +1 then get rid in the summer
Cristiano Ronaldo (+1 option) let him go in the summer
Fred (+1 option) Trigger the +1 then get rid in the summer
Diogo Dalot New contract
David de Gea (+1 option) Let him go in the summer
Axel Tuanzebe Let him go in the summer
Tahith Chong Already gone
Phil Jones (+1 option) :lol:
Alejandro Garnacho New contract
Tom Heaton (+1 option) doesn’t matter, whatever

AndySmith1990

I'd only extend Rashford's contract if he's willing to lower his wage, possibly making it more reliant on performance bonuses. He's not worth his current wage as it is, let alone anything higher.

RedDevil@84

Thought I would have a look at this ahead of time, some big names in here and although a lot have a +1 option. I genuinely think we are better off just walking away from some names this summer.

Marcus Rashford (+1 option)
Luke Shaw (+1 option)
Cristiano Ronaldo (+1 option)
Fred (+1 option)
Diogo Dalot
David de Gea (+1 option)
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong
Phil Jones (+1 option)
Alejandro Garnacho
Tom Heaton (+1 option)

There is about £62million per annum coming off of the wage bill there. Out of those listed I obviously am a bit jumpy about the Garnacho situation, if we don't play him this year then someone else will and I think he will dart.

Amongst those I think it is only smart to activate Rashford and Shaw's options just because we can probably recoup some transfer fee next summer even if knocked down.

More upheaval coming next year as well I reckon.
Unless Rashford shows great form, will try to get rid.

Shaw, Fred, DDG, Jones, Cristiano and Heaton all need to be gone. But given our transfer team's efficiency, we will probably take all the +1, excluding maybe CR7 and Jones.

If Dalot plays first choice all season, it will be difficult to renew him. He will demand big money and he is not worth that.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Crazy the pack mentality has become so strong on here that the vast majority of posters want to release England's starting LB on a free transfer :confused:

Also, you've not got to search far to find a post from me being critical of Rashford but I certainly don't think we should be releasing him on a free either, that would be mental.

We'll see that these two can definitely contribute in a more organised team under ETH
I know, it'd be crazy to not extend Shaw and Rashford given they both have the potential to regain form and be valuable assets again at the very least.
It would be daft to let Fred go too, given how bereft of midfield backup we are.

Seriously only United could lose that list of players and get zero fees for them. We're the absolute worst at moving players on in every way possible.

Belisarius

De Gea's contract should absolutely not be triggered, save the 20m he's gonna earn and let him go for free. The club sells Henderson for 20-30m depending on his form in the rest of the season and here's your budget for the next goalkeeper.

That's what any well-run club would do which makes me almost sure they're gonna do the complete opposite.
Completely agree with this.

At most offer De Gea an extension worth half what he is currently earning.

Belisarius

I know, it'd be crazy to not extend Shaw and Rashford given they both have the potential to regain form and be valuable assets again at the very least.
It would be daft to let Fred go too, given how bereft of midfield backup we are.

Seriously only United could lose that list of players and get zero fees for them. We're the absolute worst at moving players on in every way possible.
I don't think we have to let Shaw and Rashford go for free. Take-up the extra year option on both and then sell this January or next summer. And take what the market is offering. Its not going to be $40M for Shaw and $100M for Rashford as some seem to think. But, even $15M for Shaw and $35 to 40M for Rashford would result in an extra $50M to spend on replacements in addition to the savings on wages.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I don't think we have to let Shaw and Rashford go for free. Take-up the extra year option on both and then sell this January or next summer. And take what the market is offering. Its not going to be $40M for Shaw and $100M for Rashford as some seem to think. But, even $15M for Shaw and $35 to 40M for Rashford would result in an extra $50M to spend on replacements in addition to the savings on wages.
Can't see many being sold in January with the squad so thin and the fixture logjam ahead.
Let's see if ETH can get them back firing and we can make the call in a few months. Reckon Rash will defo get his contract extended, but dunno with Shaw, given ETH doesn't seem keen.

acnumber9

You put Rashford on the market for £30m and every club in Europe will be in for him. He’s much higher rated than people on this forum think.

RedOrange

It is obvious to me that Rashford's option should be exercised, as he is playing reasonably well and we are short at both positions he can play.

I think Shaw will play a bit this year and will be valuable as a backup/rotation option at left back. One less player to buy next summer. If not, we can probably get a decent fee for him.

I'd only want Fred's option exercised if it was to get a fee for him. We have to replace him with a ball progressing midfielder anyways.

Ronaldo and De Gea should just be let go. Both can be replaced with better players on smaller wages.

Dalot should be extended. He's not world class, but he's not holding us back either. Letting him go on a free would be incredibly stupid.

For Garnacho I won't pretend to have any idea. I've seen this guy play for about 20 minutes so I've very little to go on.

For Heaton I'd take the option. He's the 3rd keeper and it's one less incoming transfer to worry about next summer.

Jones and Tuanzebe are both easy decisions, just let them go.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Keep Garnacho, get rid of the rest.

OmarUnited4ever

Posted in the Transfer Thread by @mazhar13

This is really great news and excellent management by Ten Hag, the key quote in the article is: -

Under the previous regime overseen by the former executive vice-chairman, Ed Woodward, United often stood accused of stockpiling players and automatically exercising contract options or awarding new long-term deals that did not feel merited and created a false economy around depreciating assets.

Ten Hag wants to move away from that culture and is keen to ensure players do not fall into comfort zones and that any new deals are hard won.

The only good thing about a contract that has an option of an additional year is that it will allow Ten Hag time to see these players up close for the whole season and determine if they are worth a new contract or let them go by end of this season.

Also there seems to be an attempt to control the wages: -

Insiders claimed the club had been “bitten on the a--- by carrying people” in the past and that a desire for hungrier, more motivated players – coupled with the importance of keeping the wage bill in check – would drive change.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Thought I would have a look at this ahead of time, some big names in here and although a lot have a +1 option. I genuinely think we are better off just walking away from some names this summer.

Luke Shaw (+1 option)
Fred (+1 option)
Diogo Dalot
David de Gea (+1 option)
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong
Phil Jones (+1 option)
Alejandro Garnacho
Tom Heaton (+1 option)

There is about £62million per annum coming off of the wage bill there. Out of those listed I obviously am a bit jumpy about the Garnacho situation, if we don't play him this year then someone else will and I think he will dart.

Amongst those I think it is only smart to activate Rashford and Shaw's options just because we can probably recoup some transfer fee next summer even if knocked down.

Going on their most recent performances, Shaw and Rashford will get that extra year activated. We really should get rid of de gea and Ronaldo on those obscene wages .Dalot is a cert to get a new deal. Fred is a tricky one though. Hasn't played much and I think most fans would okay with selling him and getting in a replacement.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Reading the first page of this thread, it is really shocking and laughable to see the amount of people advocating letting Rashford leave on a free. feck me.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Some of our fans suffer from memory loss, if a player hasn't performed well enough in the last 6-12 months then let him go on a free.
You are correct. And anyone preaching patience at any point in that period is shouted down amid the loud knee jerk crowd.

OmarUnited4ever

Reading the first page of this thread, it is really shocking and laughable to see the amount of people advocating letting Rashford leave on a free. feck me.

Should be renewed on reasonable wages but only if he is able to sustain good form for at least until April 2023, Rashford can be a good player under Ten Hag, but he is not a top player (aka a Kane or Mane) who is worthy of a top contract.
above is what I said about Rashford a month ago, so I am not advocating for Rashford to be let go on a free, but what if Rashford continued his dire performances of last season into this season, and did not show any improvements at all, what would be your thoughts? would it be reasonable to say for example activate the 1 year and sell?

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
above is what I said about Rashford a month ago, so I am not advocating for Rashford to be let go on a free, but what if Rashford continued his dire performances of last season into this season, and did not show any improvements at all, what would be your thoughts? would it be reasonable to say for example activate the 1 year and sell?
It would be absolutely unreasonable because:
1. He showed he is a loyal academy product with excellent work ethics
2. Last season we were in nowhere land, nobody did what it was supposed to do on the pitch, we played absolutely nothing
3. He played injured or not fully recovered
4. He showed in the past he can be above average, sometimes even world class (not as often as we wanted to be).

kthanksbye

Only a few of them deserve to be offered a new contract, even fewer deserve to a pay rise, in fact, a few of them should be offered a new contract on reduced wages.

DevilsOwn

Good to see that there seems to be a semblance of balance and merit driven approach being introduced into our contracts/wage structures.

"Protecting value" has only bled us dry as have some of the unmerited obscene wages.

Trust ETH and new top management to make football based decisions. And not either "economics" or knee jerk based decision.

Posted in the Transfer Thread by @mazhar13

This is really great news and excellent management by Ten Hag, the key quote in the article is: -

The only good thing about a contract that has an option of an additional year is that it will allow Ten Hag time to see these players up close for the whole season and determine if they are worth a new contract or let them go by end of this season.

Also there seems to be an attempt to control the wages: -

OmarUnited4ever

It would be absolutely unreasonable because:
1. He showed he is a loyal academy product with excellent work ethics
2. Last season we were in nowhere land, nobody did what it was supposed to do on the pitch, we played absolutely nothing
3. He played injured or not fully recovered
4. He showed in the past he can be above average, sometimes even world class (not as often as we wanted to be).
I don't have issues with points 1, 3, and 4.

But I disagree with your second point, it was not only last season, he was not good for most of calendar year 2021, went to Euro2020 and didn't play much and came back and had a horrendous year despite all the chances given to him, granted the the team as a whole was shit, but that does not excuse him whatsoever, and had he not improved this season, then it would be fair to consider letting him go.

dal

Ronaldo should 100 percent leave.
Rashford’s salary has been horrendously mismanaged how he was on £300k per week on his last contract is so stupid, that type of wage should have been reserved for now if merited.

We were in a bigger mess when we renewed Rashfords contract and his team fully took advantage of that. I have a feeling Rashford will not be here in two years and if he doesn’t take a pay cut then I am happy with that. I do not see him as a starting 11 player, he’s more like a first team squad player, £150k should be his max.

TheReligion

Abusive

Luke Shaw (+1 option)
Fred (+1 option)
Diogo Dalot
David de Gea (+1 option)
Axel Tuanzebe
Tahith Chong
Phil Jones (+1 option)
Alejandro Garnacho
Tom Heaton (+1 option)

Garnacho doesn’t run out this summer;

Garnacho only signed his first professional contract when he turned 17 last July by penning a deal until 2025, despite recent reports wrongly suggesting he was out of contract next year.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c...er-united-garnacho-transfer-news-24180407.amp