Expiring Contracts - Summer 2023 Edition

King Kendrick

All contract details taken from transfermarkt, don’t shoot me if there are club options or extension clauses.

With the upcoming January window, just putting up a list of free signings that at least could represent good money for value or good depth signings.

Attackers
Moukoko- slated him before but finally seems to be coming around, time is on his side but we will see. Injuries are a concern though.
Luka Romero
Trossard
Moussa Dembele
Marcus Thuram

MF
Tielemans
Rani Khedira
Houssem Aouar
Pablo Maia

DEF
Giorgio Scalvini
Evan N’Dicka- advocated signing him on a free before but I think would be a great depth signing who could potentially push for a starting role.

Feel free to add your own.

Last edited:

LARulz

I'd 100% take a punt on Moukoko considering he is still very young and a talent. Though he won't be cheap considering he is being linked with everybody

OmarUnited4ever

Houssem Aouar on a free is very interesting to me and could be an upgrade on Fred, he is only 24, and the worst outcome is that he becomes a squad option, could develop further under Ten Hag.

Again, on a free, Aouar is a low risk pickup.

King Kendrick

So going back to the summer, LC were quoting £30m for Youri. Think they’ll snap your hand off now for £20m. Think it would be excellent business for someone who could start 15-20 games a season and not have a dramatic drop off in quality.

ROFLUTION

Trossard for sure. What a player he’s turned out to be. Would be fine competition for Rashford/Sancho.

He also played up front last gameweek (and scored)

AFC NimbleThumb

I feel Trossard could have that Jota effect for the right team. I’d like to think we’re monitoring. Surprising Brighton have allowed this considering how well run they are.

OleGunnar20

Thuram
Aouar
Ndicka
Trossard

I would take all 4.
Agreed, Moukoko also worth looking at though he's definitely a gamble still.

Also Trossard is about to turn 28. I know its a bit of a Caf Cliche, but I do wonder whether we'd want to take a player of his style at that age? Great player no doubt, but I'd be wary of that sharp drop off point for explosive players like him.

N'dicka would be a great pickup for free / cheap from what I've seen.

Ghostrider318

Expect half of that list to be snapped up by Barca.

But if we really have turned over a new leaf under ETH, we should be in for Tielemans. However Liverpool could also be after him

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I can see Thuram ending up at Bayern if they don’t get Kane (It would be worth it for the Mane-Kane-Sane lineup alone…).
Nagelsman seems to have realized that he wants to play with a true CF.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Trossard, Tielemans and Thuram for the name!

davidmichael

If we can move Bailly, Jones, Tuanzebe and Maguire on then N’dicka on a free makes lots of sense. Left sided centre back as back up to Martinez but would also compliment Varane or Lindelof alongside him on the right side.

From what I’ve seen of Moukoko he’d be a good shout on a free although as said his injuries are a bit concerning, Thuram would add depth although we need someone naturally central up top with Ronaldo almost certain to leave and Martial made of glass.

reddevilz007

Ndicka and Kante.

Casemiro is one injury away for us to fall back on McTominay or Fred as dm.

Kante to play 15-20 minutes as a match closer and cup games is already better than McFred.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Luka Romero is an interesting one we've regularly been linked with in the past. I could see us going for him if available on a free.

ElectroManiac

I can see Thuram ending up at Bayern if they don’t get Kane (It would be worth it for the Mane-Kane-Sane lineup alone…).
Nagelsman seems to have realized that he wants to play with a true CF.
If Bayern pull that off they should be known as the Insanes.

King Kendrick

Ndicka and Kante.

Casemiro is one injury away for us to fall back on McTominay or Fred as dm.

Kante to play 15-20 minutes as a match closer and cup games is already better than McFred.
I specifically didn’t put Kante as his injuries are piling up. Besides, Kante has shown he’s not a holding DM like Casemiro. If you’re looking at free transfers only for depth behind him, the ideal pickups would be Khedira, who’s been linked to Barca already, and if I’m not mistaken Leverporta has already said as much. We can also go for Pablo Maia, although unsure of his work permit legibility, he can be developed to take over for Casemiro as he’s only 21.

Bwuk

Moukoko I’d take 100% but only to send him out back on loan. He’s scoring goals but he needs to play every week and we wouldn’t do that here.

Id take Dembele as a free back up option at striker.

Lee565

I like trossard but considering rashford looks to be rediscovering his best form, being stuck with sancho, just signing anthony and the potential rise of garnacho, where would he fit in unless he can be used as a back up false 9?

I think there is a player in aouar even if his level has dropped ever since lyon wouldn't sell him to arsenal, a bit like sancho when he failed to move to us in the previous summer before he eventually did.

Robaldo

Why is Rani Khedira on this list? Surely getting confused with his brother 10 years ago?

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
I'd take Tielemans
I would think he is joining Arsenal, but things may change. Zaha on a free is a big opportunity for all the clubs interested in his service, even though he is 30 years old already.

croadyman

I like trossard but considering rashford looks to be rediscovering his best form, being stuck with sancho, just signing anthony and the potential rise of garnacho, where would he fit in unless he can be used as a back up false 9?

I think there is a player in aouar even if his level has dropped ever since lyon wouldn't sell him to arsenal, a bit like sancho when he failed to move to us in the previous summer before he eventually did.
Trossard over Rashford he works harder

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I would think he is joining Arsenal, but things may change. Zaha on a free is a big opportunity for all the clubs interested in his service, even though he is 30 years old already.
For a free he's worth higher wages IMO, and I think a club like United would be stupid to let him go to Arsenal.

BorisManUtd

Some solid players on that list. Tielemans wasn't good last season but seems to be back at his best this season. Aouar looked like a real talent couple of years ago, could still be good as a squad option perhaps.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Tielemans wasn't good last season but seems to be back at his best this season.
He is playing for his next big contract this season. He probably wants to attract interest from a big club that can challenge for trophies too.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Give me Zaha all day.
No brainer. A summer with free transfer like Zaha and Tielemans is too good to be true. If Arsenal get a CL spot next season they are great addition for the depth of the team. They can provide great competition for the starting spot.

MadMike

You all are forgetting Rabiot as well and we literally went for him last summer. Though this time he'll be a free agent and actually have to compromise with the best offer on the table, rather than stall.

Some other notable players not mentioned are:
- Skriniar + De Vrij (Inter's starting XI CBs)
- Nelson Semedo (Wolves' RB)
- Dani Ceballos (Real and ex-Arsenal CM)

This summer there's bargains everywhere, but I would argue the below represent the best bargains if we want to increase depth and quality on the cheap:

CF: Zaha, Thuram, Moukoko
MF: Tielemans, Rabiot, Kanté
DF: Skriniar, N'Dicka, Semedo

EDIT: Add Luke Shaw and DDG (who are also free) to the above and you can actually make a pretty good starting XI :lol:

MegadrivePerson

Konrad Laimer is one of the best midfield options. It sounds like he is nailed on for Bayern though.

Kante is getting too many injuries, there's a reason that Chelsea aren't in a rush to agree a new contract. Tielemans is massively overrated! Sure he will pop up with the odd wonder goal every now and again but he doesn't work hard enough off the ball. There was a lot of hype around him at a very young age but he'll be 26 in the summer and from what he's shown at Monaco and Leicester suggests that that is his level.

SAFMUTD

You all are forgetting Rabiot as well and we literally went for him last summer. Though this time he'll be a free agent and actually have to compromise with the best offer on the table, rather than stall.
Weren't the wages the problem? Being a free agent surely he'll demand higher wages.

TheReligion

Abusive

This summer there's bargains everywhere, but I would argue the below represent the best bargains if we want to increase depth and quality on the cheap:

EDIT: Add Luke Shaw and DDG (who are also free) to the above and you can actually make a pretty good starting XI :lol:
Don’t the club have options on both Shaw and DDG?

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Rabiot as a free transfer to replace one of McFred wouldn’t be the worst deal in the world. I think he’s actually playing okay for Juventus this season also? Tielemans also. I think Kante’s body has reached that age where he’ll stay ‘broken’ for a good chunk of the season. Might be best to stay away, especially with Casemiro and Eriksen being in their very early 30s.

Semedo and Ceballos are just not very good. I’d anticipate at least one of those Inter CBs re-signing, if not both.

I’m sure I’ve read that Moukoko is having family issues over his salary and will re-sign with Dortmund once he turns 18 and can legally deal with the monies himself(?). Can’t really comment on Thuram (or N’Dicka).

MadMike

Weren't the wages the problem? Being a free agent surely he'll demand higher wages.
He can demand whatever he likes, the question is will he be offered it. Last year he chose to stay on his high salary at Juve, but will Juve put the same high salary offer on the table again? Who knows. Anyway? He’s free

Don’t the club have options on both Shaw and DDG?
I believe so, yes. Though they haven’t been exercised yet.

Pickle85

Hasn't Rabiot been in the papers today saying what a good decision it was, not moving from Juve to United? No thanks, if so.

MadMike

Rabiot as a free transfer to replace one of McFred wouldn’t be the worst deal in the world. I think he’s actually playing okay for Juventus this season also? Tielemans also. I think Kante’s body has reached that age where he’ll stay ‘broken’ for a good chunk of the season. Might be best to stay away, especially with Casemiro and Eriksen being in their very early 30s.

Semedo and Ceballos are just not very good. I’d anticipate at least one of those Inter CBs re-signing, if not both.

I’m sure I’ve read that Moukoko is having family issues over his salary and will re-sign with Dortmund once he turns 18 and can legally deal with the monies himself(?). Can’t really comment on Thuram (or N’Dicka).
I don’t rate Ceballos for us. Semedo is bang average, but honestly in my mind he’s better than AWB whom Ten Hag does even trust ahead of left-footed Malacia