Expiring Contracts - Summer 2023 Edition

MadMike

Hasn't Rabiot been in the papers today saying what a good decision it was, not moving from Juve to United? No thanks, if so.
Comments vastly exaggerated. He didn’t even mention us. He said:

It’s true, there were contacts with Premier League clubs, but in the end, I was lucky to stay, perhaps it was the best decision.

The Premier League is the most followed league, but I don’t think about the future. I am focused on the World Cup. The club and I are in no hurry (over a contract extension), there’s serenity so we can consider all options.
Source: Mirror

You have to remember he’s still a Juve player, being asked by the Italian press. What is he to say? “feck my luck, how am I still in this dump?” I somehow don’t think so.

Last edited:

SAFMUTD

He can demand whatever he likes, the question is will he be offered it. Last year he chose to stay on his high salary at Juve, but will Juve put the same high salary offer on the table again? Who knows. Anyway? He’s free

I believe so, yes. Though they haven’t been exercised yet.
Fair point, I don't think anyone will be paying him his current wages.

Still I would rather opt we go for someone else. He isn't particularly great and anything, he'd be more or a rotation option rather than a starter here. Hopefully we signed someone who can actually challenge for a starting place.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Rabiot, Tielemans, Thuram, Zaha, Depay, Skriniar, M. Dembele are all available for free next summer.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Fair point, I don't think anyone will be paying him his current wages.
It is fair to hold out till his contract expires and see whether his agent (still his mom?) can get him the best contract out there.

BlackShark_80

DEF:
Skriniar
De Vrij
Ndicka
Soyuncu
Guerreiro
Grimaldo
Bensebaini
Singo

MF:
Laimer
Tielemans
Jorginho
Kante
Kamada
Gundogan
Aouar
Dahoud
Rabiot

FW:
Zaha
Lemar
Thuram
Moukoko
Tsygankov
Asensio
Depay
Bamba
Malinovskyi
Muriel
Morelos

Pickle85

Comments vastly exaggerated. He didn’t even mention us. He said:

Source: Mirror

You have to remember he’s still a Juve player, being asked by the Italian press. What is he to say? “feck my luck, how am I still in this dump?” I somehow don’t think so.
Fair. Though he's never really come across as a diplomat when dealing with his employer.

croadyman

Rabiot, Tielemans, Thuram, Zaha, Depay, Skriniar, M. Dembele are all available for free next summer.
Some quality options there and like I have said many times we need to show shrewdness with still issues in first XI and overall squad depth

BerryBerryShrew

I'd imagine Liverpool will go all in on Laimer. He'd be perfect for Klopp and they have a number of positions that need addressing with a limited budget* so free transfers are a no brainer.

*Unless an oligarch takes them over. Then a Bellingham swoop will be the order of the day.

MadMike

Some quality options there and like I have said many times we need to show shrewdness with still issues in first XI and overall squad depth
Not just shrewdness but flexibility. We very often have a primary target in mind and bang our hands against that one guy for months.

I don't want to be in another FDJ saga. Sound him out in Jan about a summer transfer move, if he's still on our minds. But If he's still not interested then quickly move to Tielemans or Rabiot and pre-sign either on a Bosman for the summer. Having a player secured in advance means they will have dwellings and everything else sorted for the 1st of July and they'll be joining the team for a full pre-season and integrating early. That's highly valuable too.

Last edited:

Erik the Red

DEF:
Skriniar
De Vrij
Ndicka
Soyuncu
Guerreiro
Grimaldo
Bensebaini
Singo

MF:
Laimer
Tielemans
Jorginho
Kante
Kamada
Gundogan
Aouar
Dahoud
Rabiot

FW:
Zaha
Lemar
Thuram
Moukoko
Tsygankov
Asensio
Depay
Bamba
Malinovskyi
Muriel
Morelos
From that list, the most interesting ones are Ndicka, Laimer and Moukoko, and maybe Skriniar.

Are there any decent keepers available on a free? If not, we are left with a decision on DDG, otherwise Costa is going to costa us around £50m. Dubravka or someone similar can act as no 2, along with Bishop.

With Varane, Martinez and Ndicka, we could probably get away without signing an expensive centre back this summer, although I wouldn't mind Min jae or Timber, but I think Min jae will have to wait for another time.

We need another RB, and I think Timber (£40m) offers a different type of player to Dalot, depending on tactics, and also provides that extra cover at centre back.

LB - Shaw and Malacia

A midfield of Casemiro, Eriksen and Laimer is solid, but I think we need another option, Enzo Fernandez for £50m. This would also free up Eriksen to cover for Bruno Fernandes higher up the pitch.

Wingers - Sancho, Antony, Rashford, Garnacho

With Martial injured for 50% per season, I would love to bring in Sesko (£50m) and Gakpo (£40m) to rotate with Moukoko. I would also consider dropping the Bruno role in some games and playing two strikers. I wouldn't say no to either Mbappe or Endrick, but I don't think they are realistic.

Although this involves bringing in 8 new players over the next two windows, at an estimated price of £230m, that is what we need to have proper depth in each position. At the moment, it appears that ETH only trusts about 14 players, so this will give us a real squad. I would also like to see more kids on the bench and being given cameos as there are a few exciting players, in particular I like the look of Alvaro Fernandez, Mainoo and McNeill.

We should recoup a decent amount of money for all the sales, and reduce our wage bill by a significant amount too. I would be disappointed if we couldn't raise over £100m from getting rid of all these players, so a net spend of just over £100m and a far smaller wage bill doesn't sound so bad...

Sales:
Henderson?
DDG?
Maguire
Lindelof
Jones
Bailly
Tuanzebe
AWB
Williams
Telles
Fred