F1 2020 Season

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
It would be a very un-RB like move, but it does make sense. He's 33 so is by no means any sort of threat to Max, but he should be quick enough to stay within a pit stop of the leaders, which is what RB need. Presumably Albon down to AT and Kvyat making way (Haas perhaps, unless they fill up with Ferrari academy drivers).
I think Haas would promote one of the Ferrari Academy drivers from F2.

Probably because Stewart contributed to the sport in a way that Hamilton hasn't and never will regarding safety.

People forget just how important Jackie Steward is to Formula 1. His push for safety in the sport is legendary. Hamiltons actual contributions to the sport aside from being a successful driver are actually not that great and he falls short of even schumacher let alone Sir Jackie. Hamilton's had a great opportunity this year to do something like Rashford, but he's done virtually the bare minimum for the BLM movement considering his standing in the sport and the fact that generally f1 is a rich white family sport.

For him to deserve knighthood, he needs to do more than be the most succesful driver in a 1 horse race.
How do you know? He's only 35.

Stewart wasn't knighted until 2001, 28 years after he stopped racing.
Stirling Moss was knighted in 2000, purely for his racing exploits. Better drivers than him were never knighted but they didn't have his celebrity status.

Hamilton has plenty of time to make an impact outside his racing, but if he wants to get recognition for his driving alone he needs to put his dummy back in and be a more willing face of the sport.

F-Red

Hamilton's had a great opportunity this year to do something like Rashford, but he's done virtually the bare minimum for the BLM movement considering his standing in the sport
Putting aside your bias againt Hamilton for one moment, that comment is pretty uneducated. He’s changed policy on not only his F1 team but pushed and changed policy for Daimler as a corporate group. Outside of that, setting up the Hamilton Comission with the Royal Academy of Engineering to look at how the sport can create more opportunities for young black students in motorsport. He’s also driven F1 into launching a diversity taskforce and setting up a foundation to create, primarily, apprenticeships and scholarships for underrepresented groups, with F1 underwriting that with $1m to drive the success.

Those changes will be felt in a generation time in the sport and wider industry, so to say he’s doing ‘virtually bare minimum’ based off you thinking he’s wearing t-shirts at every race is a little uneducated. In about 20 years, he’ll be seen as one of a very few drivers to have had as much impact off the track as he’s had on it.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
How do you know? He's only 35.

Stewart wasn't knighted until 2001, 28 years after he stopped racing.
Stirling Moss was knighted in 2000, purely for his racing exploits. Better drivers than him were never knighted but they didn't have his celebrity status.

Hamilton has plenty of time to make an impact outside his racing, but if he wants to get recognition for his driving alone he needs to put his dummy back in and be a more willing face of the sport.
Because Stewart was doing this while he was racing. Not when he's retired, because like most drivers, you simply become a talking head once your career stops. Very few ever have an impact on the sport after the fact like Sir Jackie had while he was still in the cockpit.

slyadams

Probably because Stewart contributed to the sport in a way that Hamilton hasn't and never will regarding safety.

People forget just how important Jackie Steward is to Formula 1. His push for safety in the sport is legendary. Hamiltons actual contributions to the sport aside from being a successful driver are actually not that great and he falls short of even schumacher let alone Sir Jackie. Hamilton's had a great opportunity this year to do something like Rashford, but he's done virtually the bare minimum for the BLM movement considering his standing in the sport and the fact that generally f1 is a rich white family sport.
As other's have pointed out, this is not correct. Putting aside the stuff he has actually done, the suggestion is that having to smash the racial barriers down on his own isn't enough, he needs to do more. What great advancements in their field have Murray, Farah, Holmes, Ennis-Hill, Wiggins and Hoy made that Hamilton is lacking? One could argue the domination of a white dominated, middle class sport such as F1 by a working class black lad should be sufficient. It puts him the category of Woods, the Williams' sisters etc.
For him to deserve knighthood, he needs to do more than be the most succesful driver in a 1 horse race.
Why does Hamilton have this standard applied when other sportspeople do not?

Evans999

Forgive me if I'm wrong, isn't it the case that anyone whos fiddled taxes never gets a knighthood (hence David Beckham).

Technically Lewis isn't doing anything wrong by living in Monaco although I can't imagine how much money he's 'legally' avoided paying in taxes.

Because Stewart was doing this while he was racing. Not when he's retired, because like most drivers, you simply become a talking head once your career stops. Very few ever have an impact on the sport after the fact like Sir Jackie had while he was still in the cockpit.
What do you expect Hamilton to do? Stewart pushed for a change in F1 that affected only F1. It was a comparably easy and obvious change but racism in society is way bigger than any sport. Hamilton has forced through a number of things within the motor racing, but obviously it's never going to make a dent on the wider topic.

F-Red

Forgive me if I'm wrong, isn't it the case that anyone whos fiddled taxes never gets a knighthood (hence David Beckham).

Technically Lewis isn't doing anything wrong by living in Monaco although I can't imagine how much money he's 'legally' avoided paying in taxes.
Sir Richard Branson.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
I see there are rumors floating around that Russel might be out of his seat next year at Williams, with them favouring Perez for the seat.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I see there are rumors floating around that Russel might be out of his seat next year at Williams, with them favouring Perez for the seat.
I wouldn't be surprised as Perez brings huge sponsorship money with them, and Williams need money.

I wouldn't worry about Russell though, he's a future world champion if he gets the right car IMO.

He might need to take 1 year out which will be hugely frustrating for him but Russell will force Mercedes into a difficult decision, they either let him go and he would walk into a red bull alongside Verstappen, or they need to shift Bottas and give Hamilton a proper understudy ready to take the lead for when he retires.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Pretty sure they keep Bottas on 1 year contracts and will put Russell in a Merc rather than him lose a seat. It was reported that Merc wanted to do that this year but Williams blocked it, I suspect Williams know they are going to lose him and will consider Perez as he brings in money as well as being competent.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
Seeing Russell in a Merc next to Hamilton would be hugely interesting - especially as some folks declared him a F1 champion before he even scored any points. Max next to Lewis seems very unlikely so that would be a nice alternative. Would be interesting to see what he can do compared to Lewis and Max in particular - especially if the RB continues to improve.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
before he even scored any points.
Being very generous to him there putting that in past tense.

Honestly I remain unconvinced bu Russell, yes he has quick quali times but I'm not sure he has got the race pace. His good work in quali is often undone by being an awful starter which gets progressively a bigger issue the higher up the grid you qualify.

He also hasn't exactly shown anything worthy of being in a merc yet considering the drivers he has beat are the ghost of Kubica and Latifi.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Being very generous to him there putting that in past tense.

Honestly I remain unconvinced bu Russell, yes he has quick quali times but I'm not sure he has got the race pace. His good work in quali is often undone by being an awful starter which gets progressively a bigger issue the higher up the grid you qualify.

He also hasn't exactly shown anything worthy of being in a merc yet considering the drivers he has beat are the ghost of Kubica and Latifi.
You don't win the GP2 championship against drivers like Norris without being a very good driver.

He's in the worst car on the grid and consistently outperforms it. Wait until he gets a proper car and then you'll see, I don't think you quite realise how much difference there can be with having a car that much slower than everybody else. It clearly doesn't perform once it gets weight in it.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
You don't win the GP2 championship against drivers like Norris without being a very good driver.

He's in the worst car on the grid and consistently outperforms it. Wait until he gets a proper car and then you'll see, I don't think you quite realise how much difference there can be with having a car that much slower than everybody else. It clearly doesn't perform once it gets weight in it.
He wouldn't be the first GP2 winner not to make it in F1. I think it's way to early to he calling someone who has never even scored a point in F1 as a future WDC. He usually barely finishes that much further up the road than Latifi.

Stroll bet Leclerc in junior championships but he is not a better driver these days. In many ways Russell has the opposite problem of many other drivers over the year who who been put in teams alongside a greater driver, got completely outshone and quickly dropped. Similar to Albon or Gasly against Verstappen now. Where as we really have no idea how good or bad Russell been because he is racing against Latifi currently.

I'm not saying he's a bad driver and doesnt deserve a shot in a midfield team, but dropping him straight into a title fight won't work unless he is a future great ala Hamilton or Schumacher.

Tiber

Surprised Haas didn't have a clear out at the end of last season.

Plenty of good options available, though there is really only 1 seat available - the Daddy Special Boy club looks set to get a third member. Still; Perez, Ilott etc are very attractive options.

I hope Schumacher ends up at Alfa, the team just seems more stable.

Hephaestus

Is that ever used in English? (The m one) It's not unusual in Dutch.
It is. Might not be the most common slur in English but it and the shorter "Ihni binni dimi diniwiny anitaime" are sadly still used by some.

pauldyson1uk

There is a delay to the start, 14:30 now, due to checking drain covers.
Seb drove over one in FP3 and it came up.
marshals have filled in the hole left by the broken drain cover at T14 with cement and are now drying it (with a small drying gun) and others are loose.

Last edited: