F1 2020 Season

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Pretty certain no one gets the point if someone outside the top 10 gets fastest lap. All they would gain is taking a point off Mercedes
Ah ok. Not sure what Red Bull were doing then unless it was a necessary change.
Ah ok, maybe Horner just wants to be a cnut as usual and deny someone the points.

Jack-C20

Pretty certain no one gets the point if someone outside the top 10 gets fastest lap. All they would gain is taking a point off Mercedes (but not getting one themselves)
:lol: Fair enough. Think someone must have told Hamilton that.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Russell really not doing himself favours with claims he is next up for Merc. William's would have been better going with Perez if he wanted to go there at all?

Emilia Romagna GP Result

pauldyson1uk

1Lewis HamiltonMercedes
fastest overall lap 1:15.484
1:28:32.430
2Valtteri BottasMercedes1:15.9025.783 behind
3Daniel RicciardoRenault1:17.55214.320 behind
4Daniil KvyatAlphaTauri1:17.66615.141 behind
5Charles LeclercFerrari1:18.17319.111 behind
6Sergio PerezRacing Point1:18.08419.652 behind
7Carlos Sainz JnrMcLaren1:18.11820.230 behind
8Lando NorrisMcLaren1:18.06921.131 behind
9Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo1:18.08822.224 behind
10Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo1:18.79426.398 behind
11Nicholas LatifiWilliams1:18.71927.135 behind
12Sebastian VettelFerrari1:17.76728.453 behind
13Lance StrollRacing Point1:18.36029.163 behind
14Romain GrosjeanHaas1:18.82232.935 behind
15Alexander AlbonRed Bull1:16.17757.284 behind
not classifiedGeorge RussellWilliams1:18.811did not finish completed 53 laps
not classifiedMax VerstappenRed Bull1:17.637did not finish completed 51 laps
not classifiedKevin MagnussenHaas1:19.273did not finish completed 50 laps
not classifiedEsteban OconORenault1:19.606did not finish completed 29 laps
not classifiedPierre GaslyGAlphaTauri1:20.403did not finish completed 9 laps

stu_1992

Entertaining end to the race at least, especially after the vsc handed Hamilton a victory. I feared the worst for the rest of the race.

Absolutely sickening for Russel, you could see just how pissed he was at himself and rightly so. Crazy mistake and it had a high cost. He needs to use this to bounce back better, at least as much as his car will allow. Shame for Gasly too. He was running well when he had to exit.

Bad day all round for Red Bull. Will be interested to hear what happened to Max's back tyre. As for Albon, surely curtains for him now at RB unfortunately. He just hasn't seemed to be able to live up to the pressure that comes with that seat. With the season Perez is having it would be ridiculous to not offer him the seat as it would be criminal for him to be without a drive next year. Personally I'd love to see Hulkenburg. But unlikely.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Russell really not doing himself favours with claims he is next up for Merc. William's would have been better going with Perez if he wanted to go there at all?
He is still learning and rarely makes a mistake. He will learn the hard way that he threw away a point. No matter. He is a very good young driver with huge potential.

F-Red

There was no empty seats at Williams, both drivers had contracts.

Robertd0803

What are Red Bull doing there? If Albon gets fastest lap but is outside the top ten does it go to the next fastest? Or no one gets it?
Presume he probably made a balls of his tyres when he spun.

Entertaining end to the race at least, especially after the vsc handed Hamilton a victory. I feared the worst for the rest of the race.
Think he pretty much had it covered but that VSC was fantastic timing from Hamiltons pov.

Robertd0803

With the season Perez is having it would be ridiculous to not offer him the seat as it would be criminal for him to be without a drive next year.
Perez in a Red Bull would be fascinating, but wonder would they take the risk and upset the apple cart so to speak. Mind you having drivers the last 2 years that are literally test drivers for Verstappen hasnt worked out too well for them has it.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Absolutely sickening for Russel, you could see just how pissed he was at himself and rightly so. Crazy mistake and it had a high cost. He needs to use this to bounce back better, at least as much as his car will allow. Shame for Gasly too. He was running well when he had to exit.

Bad day all round for Red Bull. Will be interested to hear what happened to Max's back tyre. As for Albon, surely curtains for him now at RB unfortunately. He just hasn't seemed to be able to live up to the pressure that comes with that seat. With the season Perez is having it would be ridiculous to not offer him the seat as it would be criminal for him to be without a drive next year. Personally I'd love to see Hulkenburg. But unlikely.
Imho Albon lost the plot yesterday already when he made the comment about gravel and track limits. Everyone keeps saying what a nice guy he is - and he certainly seems to be- but as a top athlete that shouldn't be the no. 1 thing people say about you after every performance.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Nice to see nothing has changed in the land of Ferrari. Consistency is key it seems, even when it comes to screwing up.

One of the best races of the year from Hamilton but I don't think he would've overcut Bottas and Verstappen if Bottas had a clean/undamaged car and he didn't get that VSC at the perfect time. He probably would've won anyway though since Max got that puncture and Bottas craps his pants every time someone gets near him.

stu_1992

Imho Albon lost the plot yesterday already when he made the comment about gravel and track limits. Everyone keeps saying what a nice guy he is - and he certainly seems to be- but as a top athlete that shouldn't be the no. 1 thing people say about you after every performance.
Agree with that. I remember when he finally did get his podium, all the talk was about relief and "thanks for sticking by me" but there wasn't much of feeling that he was going to be able to push on form here and get podiums consistently now that the monkey was off his back. It felt more like "well at least no one can say I never got a podium" and it didn't strike me as being quite the attitude needed. It was as if he doesn't really feel he belongs in such a seat.

gormless

Perez in a Red Bull would be fascinating, but wonder would they take the risk and upset the apple cart so to speak. Mind you having drivers the last 2 years that are literally test drivers for Verstappen hasnt worked out too well for them has it.
I think Perez would be excellent for them. Verstappen is often alone with the Mercedes who can cover him with one of their cars, so having someone who could stick with them would really help strategy wise.

Leg-End

It's quite sad to see Albon struggle now, his comments too just reflect really badly on him. He's going to lose that seat and when he does his route back to F1 might be long and hard because quite frankly who would bother taking him on?

Perez would shake things up, Max will take care of him but Perez will at least hang onto the back end of him once in a while, Albon has never done it.

keithsingleton

Those that think Lewis was lucky with VSC are wrong. Just before it came out he'd done a couple of fastest laps and at worse would of come out second if not first. We then know Bottas bottles it when he sees Lewis in his mirrors. It's not a question of if he picks Bottas up just when. Even if Bottas didn't have floor damage he still picks him up.

Robertd0803

I think Perez would be excellent for them. Verstappen is often alone with the Mercedes who can cover him with one of their cars, so having someone who could stick with them would really help strategy wise.
I agree, Perez would be an excellent choice. But........ having a strong driver who wont just be a back up to their golden boy in Verstappen may not work out the way they want it to.

Leg-End

Verstappen will take care of Perez though, he simply isn't on the same level as Max. What Perez would bring is keeping within a pitstop window, picking up results when Max has issues and now and then probably beating Max the odd time. Plus most likely some sponsorship money too.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Those that think Lewis was lucky with VSC are wrong. Just before it came out he'd done a couple of fastest laps and at worse would of come out second if not first. We then know Bottas bottles it when he sees Lewis in his mirrors. It's not a question of if he picks Bottas up just when. Even if Bottas didn't have floor damage he still picks him up.
It doesn’t really matter what could or would have happened, he was still very lucky to time the VSC like he did. It’s something that neither he or Merc had control over and he was the only driver on the track that benefitted from it.

It doesn’t take anything away from his win in my eyes but if something like that can’t be labeled as lucky then I don’t know what could.

keithsingleton

It doesn’t really matter what could or would have happened, he was still very lucky to time the VSC like he did. It’s something that neither he or Merc had control over and he was the only driver on the track that benefitted from it.

It doesn’t take anything away from his win in my eyes but if something like that can’t be labeled as lucky then I don’t know what could.
Like I said he didn't need the VSC. He was over 1 second in front to come out the leader anyway. Only a bad pit stop would of prevented him being leader. Best driver to grace this planet along with Senna & Schumacher.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Like I said he didn't need the VSC. He was over 1 second in front to come out the leader anyway. Only a bad pit stop would of prevented him being leader. Best driver to grace this planet along with Senna & Schumacher.
That last sentence makes me think that this is about a lot more than the VSC for you so I think I'll let this one go.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
What can you name me 3 better drivers then?
Does it matter if I can? I was talking about the timing of a simple VSC, that's it. Believe it or not but it wasn't some nefarious plot to bash Lewis' standing among the greats of F1.

keithsingleton

Does it matter if I can? I was talking about the timing of a simple VSC, that's it. Believe it or not but it wasn't some nefarious plot to bash Lewis' standing among the greats of F1.
He'll yeah it matters because I don't know any so please educated me if you can. Never accused you of bashing Hammy, I'm just of the opinion he didn't need the VSC to win race. Apologies if you read my post wrong.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
I think we can probably all agree that while he was putting in some fantastic lap times and looked on course to win the race anyway, he benefitted from the VSC and was lucky with the timing of it.

It’s not a slight on him at all.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
He'll yeah it matters because I don't know any so please educated me if you can. Never accused you of bashing Hammy, I'm just of the opinion he didn't need the VSC to win race. Apologies if you read my post wrong.
Alright, no worries then. For the record I share your opinion that he didn't need the VSC to win, so maybe we both misunderstood each other.

It's hard to rank a top 3 because I think it's basically impossible to compare drivers from different eras, and even when you do it's still very difficult. However if I had to I would have Hamilton in the top 3 among the modern era drivers (2000 to today basically) together with Schumacher and Alonso, and although I think he's definitely the best driver in the field today I don't think he's outright faster than Max which takes a few points off in my book. On the other hand I could be wrong about who is faster since it's basically a guess, but I don't think it's that controversial of an opinion.
Gun to my head I would have Schumi, Senna and Clark as my top 3 of all time I think but since I haven't even seen a full race of Clark and I'm only basing that on things I've read or heard about him I wouldn't see any of this as an education if I were you. :D

keithsingleton

Alright, no worries then. For the record I share your opinion that he didn't need the VSC to win, so maybe we both misunderstood each other.

It's hard to rank a top 3 because I think it's basically impossible to compare drivers from different eras, and even when you do it's still very difficult. However if I had to I would have Hamilton in the top 3 among the modern era drivers (2000 to today basically) together with Schumacher and Alonso, and although I think he's definitely the best driver in the field today I don't think he's outright faster than Max which takes a few points off in my book. On the other hand I could be wrong about who is faster since it's basically a guess, but I don't think it's that controversial of an opinion.
Gun to my head I would have Schumi, Senna and Clark as my top 3 of all time I think but since I haven't even seen a full race of Clark and I'm only basing that on things I've read or heard about him I wouldn't see any of this as an education if I were you. :D
I wouldn't really argue/debate with anyone basically because ( like you say ) the drivers mentioned all did it in different era's. There's absolute no doubt if Max was in the same car as Hammy viewing figures would reach a record high. They're clearly the two fastest drivers on the grid, boy I'd pay good money to watch them both in the same team. :D

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hamilton won the race by looking after his tyres, biding his time and striking at the right moment.

He knew on that track it was difficult to overtake, he clearly knew he had a LOT more pace in his car when required, so he stepped back and waited for the pit stops. He knew that Bottas would get the first opportunity being the leader, and that they'd pit him ASAP to cover Verstappen doing the undercut.

He looked after his tyres, waited for his moment then hit the "hammer time" and did 7/8+ consecutive fastest laps to close up enough of a gap to overtake Bottas on time alone.

Yes he then got lucky with the VSC that cemented it for him, but with Bottas having car trouble it was only a matter of time before he got him also.

The ability to look after his tyres and capitalize when the right moment comes is exactly why he's about to be a 7 time champion. He can do it better than anybody and his ability to read the race from his own cockpit is just next level.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I wouldn't really argue/debate with anyone basically because ( like you say ) the drivers mentioned all did it in different era's. There's absolute no doubt if Max was in the same car as Hammy viewing figures would reach a record high. They're clearly the two fastest drivers on the grid, boy I'd pay good money to watch them both in the same team. :D
Yea that would be fantastic, F1 really needs a fight for the drivers championship again. Would also be really cool to see them in a midfield team to see the difference it would make, like how much better a team like Mclaren would do with two superstar drivers.

keithsingleton

Hamilton won the race by looking after his tyres, biding his time and striking at the right moment.

He knew on that track it was difficult to overtake, he clearly knew he had a LOT more pace in his car when required, so he stepped back and waited for the pit stops. He knew that Bottas would get the first opportunity being the leader, and that they'd pit him ASAP to cover Verstappen doing the undercut.

He looked after his tyres, waited for his moment then hit the "hammer time" and did 7/8+ consecutive fastest laps to close up enough of a gap to overtake Bottas on time alone.

Yes he then got lucky with the VSC that cemented it for him, but with Bottas having car trouble it was only a matter of time before he got him also.

The ability to look after his tyres and capitalize when the right moment comes is exactly why he's about to be a 7 time champion. He can do it better than anybody and his ability to read the race from his own cockpit is just next level.
My favourite F1 poster :D

Hi Adam nice to be able at least comment on your post now irrespective if we agree with each other or not. :lol: Faultless post as with the norm with you and yes, his uncanniness to read/feel the track and car like he does puts him in that very special league as one of the all time greats no matter what era were in.

In time Max might be able to do the same thing but needs a few more years on his back. Hoping Norris continues to improve too.

Adam-Utd

My favourite F1 poster :D

Hi Adam nice to be able at least comment on your post now irrespective if we agree with each other or not. :lol: Faultless post as with the norm with you and yes, his uncanniness to read/feel the track and car like he does puts him in that very special league as one of the all time greats no matter what era were in.

In time Max might be able to do the same thing but needs a few more years on his back. Hoping Norris continues to improve too.
Cheers pal! indeed opinions are what make the forum.

I rate Max also, hope Red Bull can finally give him a car that genuinely challenges Hamilton, I fear we will never get a true battle between them.

Lando is very talented and I hope he can keep the momentum up, he's done well to match Sainz all season but just needs a bit more consistency when the car isn't working well.

I'm glad George Russell has got another yet, would have been a real shame to lose him as IMO he's even more talented than Norris. I can't wait to see what he can do in a proper car. I hope they give him the next Merc seat whenever possible.

keithsingleton

Cheers pal! indeed opinions are what make the forum.

I rate Max also, hope Red Bull can finally give him a car that genuinely challenges Hamilton, I fear we will never get a true battle between them.

Lando is very talented and I hope he can keep the momentum up, he's done well to match Sainz all season but just needs a bit more consistency when the car isn't working well.

I'm glad George Russell has got another yet, would have been a real shame to lose him as IMO he's even more talented than Norris. I can't wait to see what he can do in a proper car. I hope they give him the next Merc seat whenever possible.
Very interesting read re Norris & Russell. I haven't seen what you see in Russell yet. Maybe in time it will come transparent but I still have Norris as the better driver so far. Both obviously have age on their side so I suppose it's just a question of who improves the most to get Into the better team.

Adam-Utd

Very interesting read re Norris & Russell. I haven't seen what you see in Russell yet. Maybe in time it will come transparent but I still have Norris as the better driver so far. Both obviously have age on their side so I suppose it's just a question of who improves the most to get Into the better team.
I can only go by what I saw of them in the junior levels, but Russell won everything, he beat Norris also in GP2 and although it was close at a point, Russells consitency won it in the end.

I think we've seen with his qualifying performances just how blindingly quick he can be, but obviously is struggling a bit more in race trim with the Williams. In a pre season test he broke the lap record of the hungaroring, going faster than even Hamilton or Bottas (although that's obviously hard to compare in testing). I feel like he's just a bit more mature and concentrated right now, he seems very intelligent and switched on.

As a Mclaren fan though I've been very impressed with Norris, he's shown he can fight it out with the big boys and as long as he keeps working hard he'll have a great career.

One thing for sure, it's great to have 2 English lads to fly the flag once Hamilton moves on.