F1 2020 Season

Leg-End

I don't think Williams would stand in Russell's way if its a legit option, it just seems likely to be Stoffel which is really boring.

F-Red

It'll be Vandoorne most likely, Williams have too much riding with the final few races in the constructor standings so releasing Russel is a bit of a pipe dream. I don't think Hamilton will race again this season.

The closest Hulkenburg will get to a Mercedes, is the engine in the back of Racing Point.

slyadams

It'll be Vandoorne most likely, Williams have too much riding with the final few races in the constructor standings so releasing Russel is a bit of a pipe dream. I don't think Hamilton will race again this season.

The closest Hulkenburg will get to a Mercedes, is the engine in the back of Racing Point.
Do they though? They're 3 points behind having scored 0 this season and 1 last season. They're finishing bottom.

I hope its Russell, guy deserves a chance to show what he's really all about. I can see him winning if he gets the drive.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
They should pick, at random, any one person who has said that Hamilton's job is easy because he has the best car.

F-Red

Do they though? They're 3 points behind having scored 0 this season and 1 last season. They're finishing bottom.

I hope its Russell, guy deserves a chance to show what he's really all about. I can see him winning if he gets the drive.
3 points behind, but can change in a race quite easily. The difference is about £2m in the coffers, so Williams will want the best possible chance to secure those points.

As much as Russell will get his chance long term, it's not fantasy F1. There are contracts in place with the driver & team. Can't see anything past Vandoorne, especially as he's flying to Bahrain after the Formula E test.

slyadams

3 points behind, but can change in a race quite easily. The difference is about £2m in the coffers, so Williams will want the best possible chance to secure those points.

As much as Russell will get his chance long term, it's not fantasy F1. There are contracts in place with the driver & team. Can't see anything past Vandoorne, especially as he's flying to Bahrain after the Formula E test.
It will almost certainly be Vandoorne, but mathematically Merc saying said "here $500k for 2 races for us to have George" is a significantly better deal for Williams (i.e. 100% chance of 500k vs 0.1% chance of $2m). I really don't think this would come into it, if Williams say no it will be for other reasons that the possibility they could get 4 points in 3 races.

F-Red

It will almost certainly be Vandoorne, but mathematically Merc saying said "here $500k for 2 races for us to have George" is a significantly better deal for Williams (i.e. 100% chance of 500k vs 0.1% chance of $2m). I really don't think this would come into it, if Williams say no it will be for other reasons that the possibility they could get 4 points in 3 races.
Mercedes wouldn't be paying cash though, just a discount on the engine contract. Williams, certainly at the stage they're at, will prefer liquidity rather than money off, even if it comes next year from the FIA/FOG.

slyadams

Mercedes wouldn't be paying cash though, just a discount on the engine contract. Williams, certainly at the stage they're at, will prefer liquidity rather than money off, even if it comes next year from the FIA/FOG.
We don’t know this, it’s conjecture. The point is, it wouldn’t take much to make it more worthwhile than the moon shot of Williams finishing 9th

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
I doubt he'll be in the right condition for it. I don't know if he does much actual racing at the moment, but you need significant work on your neck muscles to have a chance.
Interesting. I saw on his Twitter anyway that he wants George Russell to take the seat.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Hamilton has a lot of a crazy stats but 264 consecutive race starts (now broken of course) is one of the craziest.

Balljy

I suspect that Mercedes will try everything to see what Russell can do in the seat with an eye on 2022. It's kind of ideal for them to test him out for 1 or 2 races with little pressure.

Even if that involves a partial rebate on the engine for the current year to give cash to Williams I reckon they'll go for it. The money is nothing compared to a contract for him in a couple of years. On another note, it's sad that Williams are so bad with a Mercedes power unit. It had kind of passed me by that they used one being on the back of the grid.

United Hobbit

That video with the radio clips is fascinating, like how for almost all the drivers their first priority was to check if he was ok/ out the car

Fluctuation0161

Lewis Hamilton tests positive for Covid. Will miss this weekend's race. No replacement announced. But as far as I know, Vandoorne is their reserve driver. Not the most exciting pick, but his absence should shake up the race a little bit and make it interesting.
Will be interesting to see how they do against Bottas, who has seemed underwhelming, but against Hamilton its hard to know for sure.

slyadams

I suspect that Mercedes will try everything to see what Russell can do in the seat with an eye on 2022. It's kind of ideal for them to test him out for 1 or 2 races with little pressure.

Even if that involves a partial rebate on the engine for the current year to give cash to Williams I reckon they'll go for it. The money is nothing compared to a contract for him in a couple of years. On another note, it's sad that Williams are so bad with a Mercedes power unit. It had kind of passed me by that they used one being on the back of the grid.
Agreed, I can only see giving Russell two drives in the Merc as being a huge win for Mercedes:
  1. Vandoorne will tell them and show them nothing, they get nothing from him driving it.
  2. Russell will give them a yard stick of where Bottas actually is.
  3. Gives them a chance to see Russell in a top car over two real race weekends. You cannot replicate that kind of examination.
Make it happen Toto!

However, I suspect it will be Vandoorne.

stu_1992

Nice. I'm very excited to see what he can do. I'm surprised at this outcome but not complaining!

Leg-End

Great news, I’m excited to see what he can do now. He won’t be far off Bottas I don’t think, it’s a different kind of track this weekend.

slyadams

This is brilliant, just hopes he can relax into it. I guess he won’t know until after the race whether it’s 1 or 2 he’s going to get.

stu_1992

Mick Schumacher confirmed to Haas next season. No surprise, but it'll be weird watching a grid with a Schumacher on it again. I feel old that I grew up watching F1 with his dad and uncle and now here he is! :lol:

F-Red

I’m hugely surprised by the news, wonder what odds we’ll have on George winning his first races? He has the pace to do so for sure.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Riders can just switch between teams mid-season if their bosses find an agreement, or am I missing something here?

A bit gutted for Vandoorne, being the "official" back-up I would've loved to see him at Mercedes for one or two races.

pauldyson1uk

The fear of watching someone die on the track again was a huge reason why I stopped watching F1 for a while.

feck me, that was a close one for Grosjean. All the halo non believers should be forced to stuff a halo up their ass. This isn't the first time it saved someone's life.
I have said many time that watching Senna crash, stopped me watching F1 for many years, Sunday took me back to that crash , I really though for a while that Grosjean was dead, watching he run away with only a few burns was good.
The Halo has saved a few lives now.

pauldyson1uk

Russel subbing for Lewis, will be interesting to see how he handles the car, I honestly don't see him doing much.
I don't see him winning. He will have the pace but lack of experience will be his downfall.
It will be a good yard stick to see his ability.
Finishing the race with the car in one piece , anything else would be a bonus.

Evans999

I wonder if George has driven the merc enough to understand the DAS system, It will be vital around the outer circuit.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I’m hugely surprised by the news, wonder what odds we’ll have on George winning his first races? He has the pace to do so for sure.
As much as I am disappointed that Lewis will not be racing, I am very excited to see how George Russell will perform in a competitive car.
Important he does not put too much pressure on himself. But he is a very mature young man.
Let's just hope that reliability or a crash on the opening laps doesn't affect him.
Best of luck George.

Leg-End

He's got a great chance of a good result I think, the track basically is just braking zones and straight bits. It's a really good race to ease yourself into a car, he won't be far off Pole I don't think, expect Bottas to get the job done but still.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wonder if George has driven the merc enough to understand the DAS system, It will be vital around the outer circuit.
He won't even need to use it. It isn't cold and the circuit is a harder wearing surface which usually helps keep temperatures up.

if he does though it's literally just pull the steering column out down the straights, i'm sure he'll manage that no problem.
Easily the most interesting race of the season.
It does have the potential to be, but I hope it isn't marred too much by blue flag issues, going to be a huge amount of lapping going on!

Can see some 2/3 car side by side battles which could get interesting, hopefully no big crashes again.

Evans999

If all cars are out setting a time in Q1 there can only be a 2 second between each car. Going to be an entertaining nightmare.