F1 2021 Season

Balljy

I don’t hate Lewis. I just find him an overrated driver; but just because I find him overrated doesn’t mean that I hate or even dislike him.

Hamilton benefited massively from being in the right place at the right time in the least competitive era of Formula 1 history.

Senna, Schumacher and Verstappen are better in my view.
There's definitely an odd one out in those 3 drivers. Can't quite place it though.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I don’t hate Lewis. I just find him an overrated driver; but just because I find him overrated doesn’t mean that I hate or even dislike him.

Hamilton benefited massively from being in the right place at the right time in the least competitive era of Formula 1 history.

As you say, the most overrated driver to win SEVEN world championships.
And as for being in the right place at the right time, who was it who decided to move from McLaren to Mercedes.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
There's definitely an odd one out in those 3 drivers. Can't quite place it though.
He won’t look out of place when he’s 36. :wenger:

Jenson Button called him the fastest driver ever back in 2019:
https://www.planetf1.com/news/verstappen-is-the-fastest-driver-ever-in-f1/

Fernando Alonso called him the best driver on the grid on numerous occasions:
https://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-verstappen-is-the-best-driver-in-f1/
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/8404...-the-moment-for-me-he-is-the-best-driver.html

You can laugh at a 23 year old for not having a world title yet when he’s never had an opportunity until this season, but don’t worry, in a decade from now the Verstappen haters will look very stupid. :smirk:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
As you say, the most overrated driver to win SEVEN world championships.
You do realize that it’s perfectly possible for someone who is great to still be overrated right?

You can be amazing, which Hamilton is, and still be overrated because the fans think you are better than you actually are.

oates

No one is a match for his two masters degrees
Scout
Supports
Arsenal
You can laugh at a 23 year old for not having a world title yet when he’s never had an opportunity until this season, but don’t worry, in a decade from now the Verstappen haters will look very stupid. :smirk:
It's not about hating. When you can see that you'll be making progress.

Balljy

He won’t look out of place when he’s 36. :wenger:

Jenson Button called him the fastest driver ever back in 2019:
https://www.planetf1.com/news/verstappen-is-the-fastest-driver-ever-in-f1/

Fernando Alonso called him the best driver on the grid on numerous occasions:
https://www.planetf1.com/news/alonso-verstappen-is-the-best-driver-in-f1/
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/8404...-the-moment-for-me-he-is-the-best-driver.html

I think he has a chance to become an all-time great and is a huge talent. I don't think anyone's denying that and no-ones "hating" Verstappen at all?

It's ludicrous to say he's a great now though as it would have been when Prost, Senna, Hamllton, Lauda were young and hadn't rounded out their talent and proved it year after year.

ArjenIsM3

It'll be interesting to see how fast Mercedes are during the weekend. At Silverstone it felt like they had the faster car all the way through qualifying really. Obviously with how the race went it's hard to tell for sure but it could be the updates they introduced nudged them ahead of Red Bull once again.

Balljy

It'll be interesting to see how fast Mercedes are during the weekend. At Silverstone it felt like they had the faster car all the way through qualifying really. Obviously with how the race went it's hard to tell for sure but it could be the updates they introduced nudged them ahead of Red Bull once again.
Yeah, I agree. There was a definite improvement from Mercedes in the last race after looking like they had dropped a decent amount behind for 3 races. It'll be interesting how that transpires on different tracks now.

With a bit of luck, it'll be ultra close and we'll have some great racing for the next few weeks.

Leg-End

That’s an opinion from 3 years ago and as much I don’t think he’s wrong there is nothing in the rule book that states it. Hamilton is hardly going to back off because Max retired is he? And that incident was a clear driver error.

Horner’s interview is from an almost carbon copy incident last season but Horner always has bent the narrative to suit his team.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You do realize that it’s perfectly possible for someone who is great to still be overrated right?

You can be amazing, which Hamilton is, and still be overrated because the fans think you are better than you actually are.
Aha. So you have just stated that it is down to what people think.
You are speaking on behalf of 'the fans' then. All of them?

The Hilton

Red Bull faster in Bahrain, Monaco, Baku, and the two Austria races

Mercedes faster in Imola, Portugal, Spain, France and Britain.

Overall the cars have been equal. Max is better than Lewis though.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

This is complete nonsense.

Mercedes haven't been quicker anywhere, Red Bull have clearly the better package.

The Hilton

The only response I’ve gotten so far is laughing emojis. Nobody has actually made a coherent argument yet.

2021 is the first time we’ve seen Max and Lewis in the same car and Max has been levels above. The fact that he’s still ahead in the championship despite retiring from 2/10 races says it all.
You're getting laughed at because you're basing your argument on something objectively false. They simply aren't in the same car, the Red Bull is faster, and you know it!

By all means be a fan of Max, by all means think he's a better driver (if a little silly given their respective level of success), but pretending the cars are equal to justify it? Well that mainly shows that you don't actually believe what you're saying, as if you did you wouldn't need to downplay the advantages of the Red Bull.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Mercedes haven't been quicker anywhere
Is that your special coping technique? :smirk:

Perhaps you should tell that to Perez, who has been outperformed by Bottas in every measurable category this season (points, race finishes, qualifying).

Of course all the wins and poles Mercedes have this season must be because of Hamilton’s special driving, his driving is so special that Bottas is way closer to him than Perez is to Verstappen.

slyadams

There was a thread on Reddit which took note of every significant opinion on the Hamilton vs Verstappen incident, namely both current and ex-drivers.

- The majority (60%) thought it was Hamilton’s fault.
- About 40% of people called it a racing incident
- Nobody of any relevance blamed solely Verstappen

And yet you go on Redcafe, Autosport, or any other British forum, and you have a bunch of Brits blaming Verstappen, which is just delusional.
Are you serious? You are arguing until you're blue in the face with everyone on here, most of which are "50-50, probably racing incident, maybe slightly more Lewis' fault if you had to chose", then you post your own stats that says the same thing,

You complain people don't "make coherent arguments" but you completely ignore any post that presents facts or opinions you can't refute then just re-state your arguments, most of which are factually wrong (e.g. if Max had stayed ahead he would have won because the RB is better, despite Max winning the sprint race, then in a more recent post your chalk Britain up as a track there the Merc was faster to backup another argument that Max must be better because the machinery is very equal).

The Hilton

Is that your special coping technique? :smirk:

Perhaps you should tell that to Perez, who has been outperformed by Bottas in every measurable category this season (points, race finishes, qualifying).

Of course all the wins and poles Mercedes have this season must be because of Hamilton’s special driving, his driving is so special that Bottas is way closer to him than Perez is to Verstappen.
Dripping with irony, given you have to pretend the Red Bull is slower than it is. Besides, I'm a Lando fan.

If you could drop your childish hatred of Lewis for a second, you might be able to come to the actual reason it's close - a couple of Max DNFs, one great strategy call, and Perez having horrible luck.

Genuinely dude you're embarrassing yourself in this thread with your refusal to accept reality about the cars. If you said "the Red Bull is faster and Max is showing his class at the head of the field" then it would show some faith in his abilities.

Pretending its even just shows you don't have an argument to back up your "Max is the better driver" statement that's based in reality, hence having to make stuff up.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
By the same logic, you can assume the Red Bull is quicker, since Verstappen has outperformed Hamilton this season. But since your frontloaded into you argument that Verstappen is the better driver, you're ignoring that.

You know, it wouldn't hurt to just say that both are good and there isn't enough evidence to suggest who's better at this particular point in time.

The Hilton

It looked mostly like they've sacrificed tyre maintenance for more one lap speed. The RB was still able to pull away, and realistically its still Max's title to lose, but at least they aren't miles behind like they were before Silverstone.

ArjenIsM3

That’s an opinion from 3 years ago and as much I don’t think he’s wrong there is nothing in the rule book that states it. Hamilton is hardly going to back off because Max retired is he? And that incident was a clear driver error.

Horner’s interview is from an almost carbon copy incident last season but Horner always has bent the narrative to suit his team.
It clearly isn't a carbon copy but tbh I have no interest in debating this any further. Let's just await the FIA's verdict and move on. I'm sure they'll leave it as is.

Fluctuation0161

Dripping with irony, given you have to pretend the Red Bull is slower than it is. Besides, I'm a Lando fan.

If you could drop your childish hatred of Lewis for a second, you might be able to come to the actual reason it's close - a couple of Max DNFs, one great strategy call, and Perez having horrible luck.

Genuinely dude you're embarrassing yourself in this thread with your refusal to accept reality about the cars. If you said "the Red Bull is faster and Max is showing his class at the head of the field" then it would show some faith in his abilities.

Pretending its even just shows you don't have an argument to back up your "Max is the better driver" statement that's based in reality, hence having to make stuff up.
The voice of reason. But I fear he won't listen. :lol:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Genuinely dude you're embarrassing yourself in this thread with your refusal to accept reality about the cars.
Wait, aren’t you the same guy who said that Mercedes was not quicker than Red Bull in Spain and Portugal, right?

Perhaps you should look in the mirror first :smirk:

The Hilton

The voice of reason. But I fear he won't listen. :lol:
Of course not, but you have to understand why.

He wants Max to be better, but doesn't actually believe it, otherwise he'd base the opinion on reality.

Still, not much point having a serious conversation who lists him among the all time greats Senna and Schumacher when he's won nothing so far.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Still, not much point having a serious conversation who lists him among the all time greats Senna and Schumacher when he's won nothing so far.
Don’t listen to me. Listen to Jenson Button, who called him the fastest driver ever, or Fernando Alonso who called him better than Hamilton, Martin Brundle, who called him one of the greatest of all time.

I don’t expect you to accept it, but it’s certainly not an unpopular opinion.

And my belief that Max >>> Lewis is based on the fact that I rate Perez and Bottas on the same level.

The Hilton

Wait, aren’t you the same guy who said that Mercedes was not quicker than Red Bull in Spain and Portugal, right?

Perhaps you should look in the mirror first :smirk:
Dude you put Max in your list of the 3 greatest drivers ever, alongside Senna and Schumacher. You're in no position to call others biased.

Besides, Merc winning Portugal was more about tyre management than pace, and Spain was thanks to a great tactical call (and featured an uncharacteristically slow pit stop for Max).

As I said in another post, you want Max to be the better driver, hence pretending the cars are even. If you actually believed it, you wouldn't need to.

You needn't worry too much, Max is nailed on to win the championship this year, so you'll have something grounded in reality to shout about.

Fluctuation0161

Of course not, but you have to understand why.

He wants Max to be better, but doesn't actually believe it, otherwise he'd base the opinion on reality.

Yet doesn't rate Hamilton...

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Don’t listen to me. Listen to Jenson Button, who called him the fastest driver ever, or Fernando Alonso who called him better than Hamilton, Martin Brundle, who called him one of the greatest of all time.
Weren't you the poster dismissing everyone's references to other drivers' opinions as useless arguments from authority?

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Besides, Merc winning Portugal was more about tyre management than pace, and Spain was thanks to a great tactical call (and featured an uncharacteristically slow pit stop for Max).
Or Mercedes was just faster.

I mean, I can just as easily dismiss all the races where Red Bull was faster as “down to how they handle the tyres”

Mercedes was much faster than Red Bull in Spain even before they deviated strategies. Hamilton was easily driving in Verstappen’s dirty air for many laps without losing performance.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Weren't you the poster dismissing everyone's references to other drivers' opinions as useless arguments from authority?
I don’t expect anyone to accept Max as a great.

But if you think that the opinion is STUPID, then I can name plenty of people who think otherwise.

But again, you are free to make up your own mind on Max.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
Dude you put Max in your list of the 3 greatest drivers ever, alongside Senna and Schumacher. You're in no position to call others biased.
Not entirely accurate.

Max has Senna/Schumacher level talent. I never called him as great as Senna and Schumacher yet.

The Hilton

Listen to Jenson Button, who called him the fastest driver ever...
And he doesn't even have the quote right. This is what Button said:

The most complete driver out there in terms of experience and the way they go about their racing is Lewis Hamilton. But for raw talent, I think it has to be Max. So Red Bull are not going to want to let him go.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don’t expect anyone to accept Max as a great.

But if you think that the opinion is STUPID, then I can name plenty of people who think otherwise.

But again, you are free to make up your own mind on Max.
You have to admit though that it's quite a stretch to list a young driver at the start of his career who hasn't even won one championship yet next to all-time greats without a hint of hesitation. It looks like a joke more than anything else.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Not entirely accurate.

Max has Senna/Schumacher level talent. I never called him as great as Senna and Schumacher yet.
Actually, you said this:

Not a hint there that you're referring to raw talent exclusively, and the preceding bit about Hamilton's career as a whole does suggests you're speaking of something bigger than that.

The Hilton

Or Mercedes was just faster.

I mean, I can just as easily dismiss all the races where Red Bull was faster as “down to how they handle the tyres”

Mercedes was much faster than Red Bull in Spain even before they deviated strategies. Hamilton was easily driving in Verstappen’s dirty air for many laps without losing performance.
:lol::lol::lol:

Much faster, but driving in dirty air. Therefore far enough behind to not have been faster when going behind.

You're like a walking contradiction machine, anything to big up your boy Max.

Congrats dude, you've achieved the impossible task of making Christian Horner seem level headed and likeable in comparison.

The Hilton

Actually, you said this:

Not a hint there that you're referring to raw talent exclusively, and the preceding bit about Hamilton's career as a whole does suggests you're speaking of something bigger than that.
:lol::lol::lol:

Yet another total contradiction.