F1 2021 Season

ArjenIsM3

So for the championship standings Hamilton gets +3 points whereas Max gets +1 increasing the gap between them by another 2 points.

keithsingleton

I do wonder whether I notice the lucky breaks Hamilton gets more than other drivers because he is so good.

For example, at Imola, the red flag situation certainly did benefit Hamilton. Almost as soon as the race was red flagged, I knew he was going to get a podium at least.

With other drivers that simply are not as good (a very high bar I know), they cannot make as much of those fortunate occurrences as Hamilton inevitably does. Does that make any sense?
Makes sense to the Hammy haters :lol:

MTF

Thinking about the restart, another interesting thing is that not a single team was willing to gamble and put on slicks under red flag. Essentially all the teams had a theoretical chance of being in Ocon's position, as anyone who had taken that gamble would have started on the grid and could have opened a 5+ second lead to start.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I didnt think Hamilton made mistakes in the final two corners, but its what alonso has been quoted as saying. Yes alonso made a mistake locking up, but i think alonso was trying to say that when hamilton finally got the last two corners hooked up in a way that got him closer to alonso, alonso had to defend more and therefore locked up his front tyre in doing so. Max did something similar to Danny Ric a few laps earlier.

Heres the alonso quote..

“Honestly, I think that Lewis was making small mistakes in the last two corners because he had so much pace. You cannot take eight laps to pass with that pace advantage. In fact, after changing a few lines, he could pass Carlos immediately one lap after. It was not difficult to pass, in my opinion, but he took four or five laps to figure it out, but that’s my opinion.”

https://wtf1.com/post/alonso-says-i...ep-lewis-behind-for-both-ocon-and-verstappen/
Yeah i'm not having that really.

Alonso's tyres weren't old, and it clearly wasn't easy to over take as not many over takes actually happened in the race.

Hamilton couldn't get close enough with the dirty air in the last 2 corners, and was never close enough to attack properly into turn 1. When he did then Alonso defended perfectly, pushing him wide knowing Hamilton had more risk.

He had to keep pressuring him and wait for the mistake which eventually came.

He didn't overtake Sainz because he figured something out differently, Sainz's tyres were shot as he'd done 1 less pitstop.

Drivers and Constructors after Race 11 Revised

pauldyson1uk

DriverTeamWinsPoints
1Lewis HamiltonMercedes4195
2Max VerstappenRed Bull5187
3Lando NorrisMcLaren0113
4Valtteri BottasMercedes0108
5Sergio PerezRed Bull1104
6Carlos Sainz Jr.Ferrari083
7Charles LeclercFerrari080
8Daniel RicciardoMcLaren050
9Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri049
10Esteban OconAlpine139
11Fernando AlonsoAlpine038
12Sebastian VettelAston Martin030
13Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri018
14Lance StrollAston Martin018
15Nicholas LatifiWilliams06
16George RussellWilliams04
17Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo02
18Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo01
19Mick SchumacherHaas00
20Nikita MazepinHaas00

TeamWinsPoints
1Mercedes4303
2Red Bull6291
3Ferrari0163
4McLaren0163
5Alpine177
6AlphaTauri067
7Aston Martin048
8Williams010
9Alfa Romeo03
10Haas00

Pscholes18

I also thank the booing is lame, but just to add that, for Verstappen fans, this wasn't a hard, fun race. It was a disappointing race in which their guy was crashed out of serious contention right at the start because of a mistake by a driver from their main competitor's team.
I'll remember that when Pool come to OT.

keithsingleton

Yeah i'm not having that really.

Alonso's tyres weren't old, and it clearly wasn't easy to over take as not many over takes actually happened in the race.

Hamilton couldn't get close enough with the dirty air in the last 2 corners, and was never close enough to attack properly into turn 1. When he did then Alonso defended perfectly, pushing him wide knowing Hamilton had more risk.

He had to keep pressuring him and wait for the mistake which eventually came.

He didn't overtake Sainz because he figured something out differently, Sainz's tyres were shot as he'd done 1 less pitstop.
Also not forgetting Hammy's got a touch of long covid which can effect his mind set? thinking.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I do wonder whether I notice the lucky breaks Hamilton gets more than other drivers because he is so good.

For example, at Imola, the red flag situation certainly did benefit Hamilton. Almost as soon as the race was red flagged, I knew he was going to get a podium at least.

With other drivers that simply are not as good (a very high bar I know), they cannot make as much of those fortunate occurrences as Hamilton inevitably does. Does that make any sense?
I think people notice them because the camera is on him for massively longer than anyone else. If the camera sat on Mick Schumacher for 90% of the race you'd have more of an opinion about him than you would Hamilton.

Dan_F

I'll remember that when Pool come to OT.
I told you before why some people may have been touchy about the booing. We were led to believe last week that Max’s fans were some kind of shining light on morales. I honestly don’t give a shit about the booing, but if you saw some of the posts about Silverstone, you’d probably understand why I pointed it out today.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Shame for Sebastian after a solid drive today.
That daft DQ and the bizarre situation with Hamilton alone on the grid shows you that for all the money spent on tech and strategy, the strangest human mistakes can still decide races.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
The number of posters on other site that dont know the basic rules and penalties in F1 is shocking.
What site was that, and i think they should bring in a 10 place grid penalty, it doesn’t make sense to me that you can pick up a 5 place grid penalty for taking out 1 car or multiple cars like bottas did today.

Also you can see why Horner is banging on about the financial impact of crashes this year he’s preparing for next years $145 million spending cap, as team who’s car has been wrote off or badly damaged will spend millions repairing it while while the one who caused it might have minimal damage.

Even Toto was talking about the cap and it’s implications on crashes.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...-makes-big-accidents-quite-a-concern/6362929/

Also hopefully some good can come from Hamilton’s long Covid that it shows the impact it has on an athlete in top shape, what would it do to the every day man and might get more sceptics to get vaxed

Last edited:

ArjenIsM3

What site was that, and i think they should bring in a 10 place grid penalty, it doesn’t make sense to me that you can pick up a 5 place grid penalty for taking out 1 car or multiple cars like bottas did today.

Also you can see why Horner is banging on about the financial impact of crashes this year he’s preparing for next years $145 million spending cap, as team who’s car has been wrote off or badly damaged will spend millions repairing it while while the one who caused it might have minimal damage.

Even Toto was talking about the cap and it’s implications on crashes.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/...-makes-big-accidents-quite-a-concern/6362929/
The cost cap is already in place right? I think if you suffer damage and it isn't your fault the repairs should be excluded from the cost cap and if you need a new engine it shouldn't be counted as an engine swap. If not you get punished twice if someone does a Bottas and torpedoes your car and that doesn't seem fair to me.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Go to watch a rally stage and stand on the side and boo and you will be looked at like a nob. I think the same applies to f1.

Want to go and boo and act like a child goto the football. Each to their own, I just think it’s childish as feck.

hobbers

You really do just have to laugh at the FIA.

Vettel has 700mL too little fuel in his car and gets a disqualification.

Bottas plays skittles with half the pack and gets a 5 place grid penalty.

Comical.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
But, it is a sport. Nothing wrong with booing.
I can see why people boo situations (including when they're announcing line-ups), but booing someone during an interview seems pretty lame to me - even if you don't get a lot of other opportunities in racing to boo someone. (It's not like they'll hear it during the race!) But I'm anyway not into all the partisan stuff, I know that's rare, and I'm not expecting to change anyone's mind on that sort of thing.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

Comical.
It's an old rule that comes from teams that used to run more explosive fuel, get extra power and then use it all up so it couldn't be traced.

Obviously that would be a very unfair advantage, so if you were caught you'd be expelled.

Unfortunately it doesn't translate quite so well to the modern day rulings, but cars often don't run out of fuel that low.

Seb was obviously chasing hard to try and pass Ocon, and then towards the end he couldn't go into fuel saving mode as Ham/Alonso were catching at a rate of knots.

It's a very unfortunate situation, but those are the rules.

Fluctuation0161

Go to watch a rally stage and stand on the side and boo and you will be looked at like a nob. I think the same applies to f1.

Want to go and boo and act like a child goto the football. Each to their own, I just think it’s childish as feck.
Key difference is respect and risk. F1 drivers (and rally drivers) have historically put their lives on the line to entertain. In decades gone by a driver would be killed almost every race.

Footballers less so. :lol:

Totally different culture.

Fluctuation0161

Comical.
Reason being they need to test the fuel to ensure cheating is not going on.

It's the equivalent of missing a drugs test.

Ask Rio about that.

pauldyson1uk

Comical.
Too little fuel in the car, potental cheating.
Bottas misjudging the wet slippery track is not potential cheating.
2 totally different situations.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Key difference is respect and risk. F1 drivers (and rally drivers) have historically put their lives on the line to entertain. In decades gone by a driver would be killed almost every race.

Footballers less so. :lol:

Totally different culture.
Yes, I agree with that

edit: did mean to quote @Pscholes18 post in my previous post but just realised I didn’t

Tiber

Wasn't able to see the race today. Shame to hear a Merc took out Max out for the second week in a row.

If you can't beat him on the track, I suppose knocking him off the track every week is a bold but admittedly effective response.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Wasn't able to see the race today. Shame to hear a Merc took out Max out for the second week in a row.

If you can't beat him on the track, I suppose knocking him off the track every week is a bold but admittedly effective response.
That didn’t happen

Zlaatan

Parody Account

Comical.
There's no consistency at all, same thing when Giovinazzi got a 10sec stop&go for speeding in the pitlane while Raikkonen was only given a 10sec penalty for crashing into Mazepin in the pits and ending his race.

It is the same rules for everyone so it's not unfair in that sense, but there's definitely a lot of room for improvement in my eyes.

The Firestarter

Is this supposed to be ironic ?

hobbers

Too little fuel in the car, potental cheating.
Bottas misjudging the wet slippery track is not potential cheating.
2 totally different situations.
Yes, of course, but I guarantee you they can test the fuel just fine with 300mL instead of a litre. It's a very archaic rule.

The Firestarter

Yes, of course, but I guarantee you they can test the fuel just fine with 300mL instead of a litre. It's a very archaic rule.
What I wonder is why with such an ultra hi tech vehicle there is not a system for warning that the current consumption will lead to rule violation.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
After reading this thread the last few weeks I honestly don’t know whether the people laughing at my post saying that didn’t happen agree with me or think that it did happen! :nervous: :lol:

dinostar77

Shame for Sebastian after a solid drive today.
That daft DQ and the bizarre situation with Hamilton alone on the grid shows you that for all the money spent on tech and strategy the strangest human mistakes can still decide races.
Gutting for seb. Didnt deserve that.

A McLaren took out max.

pauldyson1uk

100kg starts the race, they know how much fuel that is meant to be using, it finishes with less fuel then it breaks the rules.
OK it maybe be archaic but its what they have to work with.
When was the last time there was a DQ because of it, I cant remember.

MUFCpiffgawd

Aren’t most of you lot supposed to be British? Why do you dislike Lewis Hamilton so much lol?