F1 2021 Season

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
That was what happened, but some are making out that Bottas pulled off a plant shot to take out Max, like he was playing pool, which is clearly silly.
Deiliberate or not it's still his fault though surely? Can't really blame Norris.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Was absolutely Bottas' fault, no-one can dispute that, it's just the insinuations it was deliberate to take out Max that are daft.
Strolls line into the corner was even better, was something like I’d attempt into the first corner on PlayStation :lol:

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Still looks like Red Bull have the better car, even with the Mercedes upgrades. Admittedly it's really difficult to tell, given that Max hasn't managed a full lap outside of the sprint race, but in that he was able to pull away.

Still, those upgrades (along with a couple of accidents taking out Max) have given us a real title fight, much more exciting than it looked before Silverstone when RB were miles ahead.
Yeah it's funny how things change, before the British GP you said I was "insulting everyone's intelligence" because I believed Lewis could win the title, now you're here two races later saying we have a real title fight.

It's almost as if finishing every race isn't a guarantee and that we shouldn't hand out WC trophies when there's 300+ points left to drive for and the reigning 7-time world champ in 2nd place who is about to sit down in an upgraded car is just 30 odd points behind.

The Hilton

Yeah it's funny how things change, before the British GP you said I was "insulting everyone's intelligence" because I believed Lewis could win the title, now you're here two races later saying we have a real title fight.

It's almost as if finishing every race isn't a guarantee and that we shouldn't hand out WC trophies when there's 300+ points left to drive for and the reigning 7-time world champ in 2nd place who is about to sit down in an upgraded car is just 30 odd points behind.
Can you quote the post that I stated that quote please? From what I remember, what we were disagreeing about was your version of history, where you claimed nobody dominated like Hamilton and Merc (conveniently forgetting Vettel at RB and challenging at Ferrari).

Still, I'll give you that I didn't expect Merc to find the pace that they have (and it looks like RB are struggling a little bit with balance too). However, RB still look to have the faster race pace, and there's only so many times Max can be involved in accidents.

EDIT: Never mind, I've found the post. Admittedly I was wound up by what I maintain was your ludicrous exaggeration of history. I also think it's a little early for you to be claiming victory here - wait to see what happens when Merc & RB get to have a couple of actual races first, it still looks like Red Bull are faster.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Mercedes has assigned George Russell to its team for Pirelli's 18-inch 2022 tyre test at the Hungaroring on Tuesday that will also include cars from Ferrari and McLaren.

Russell's presence with the Brackley squad isn't a surprise as both Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas have head off for their summer break, and the Williams driver is also expected to replace the Finn at Mercedes next season with a formal announcement anticipated around the Belgian Grand Prix at Spa at the end of the month.

But Russell won't be the only driver on track in Budapest on Tuesday with the Briton joined by McLaren's Lando Norris, either Charles Leclerc or Carlos Sainz for Ferrari and reportedly Sauber junior and F2 charger Theo Pourchaire who will be running with Alfa Romeo.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think there was one before, an American maybe? Only did a few races
If you look at the racing circuit, Lewis Hamilton is the only Black driver… ever, in Formula 1. Ever.
Think NASCAR have had a couple
Shocking stat
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willy_T._Ribbs

Willy T Ribbs is the only other prominent black racing driver that really made it to the top level.

Obviously there has been a few in lower levels but Hamilton is by far the most famous black racing driver ever.

It is surprising how little black drivers there have been over the years.

mitChley

Willy T Ribbs is the only other prominent black racing driver that really made it to the top level.

Obviously there has been a few in lower levels but Hamilton is by far the most famous black racing driver ever.

That's the guy I was thinking of, only tested, didn't race in F1 so yeah, only Lewis, my bad.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Can you quote the post that I stated that quote please? From what I remember, what we were disagreeing about was your version of history, where you claimed nobody dominated like Hamilton and Merc (conveniently forgetting Vettel at RB and challenging at Ferrari).

Still, I'll give you that I didn't expect Merc to find the pace that they have (and it looks like RB are struggling a little bit with balance too). However, RB still look to have the faster race pace, and there's only so many times Max can be involved in accidents.

EDIT: Never mind, I've found the post. Admittedly I was wound up by what I maintain was your ludicrous exaggeration of history. I also think it's a little early for you to be claiming victory here - wait to see what happens when Merc & RB get to have a couple of actual races first, it still looks like Red Bull are faster.
Well you're now agreeing with me that Lewis has a shot at the title, so even if Max goes on to win all the remaining races by 3min you can't then go back to claim that I really was insulting your intelligence back when you used to believe that the opinion you're currently holding was ridiculous.

You're right though that we can't know what effect car upgrades will have and we can't know what's going to happen during a race weekend, which is the exact reason why I'm a bit hesitant over handing out the WC trophy when there's 10+ races left of the season and it's so close in the standings.

As for the rest, I really don't want to get into it again but I didn't conveniently forget anything, we just seemingly have very different definitions on practically everything related to F1 history. I think no team has ever dominated like Merc, you don't which is fine and I'd want nothing more than to leave it at that.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

And that is what Lewis Hamilton is trying to change. To attract a wider range of races into motor racing.

But the most important thing is, why are we making so much fuss about the colour of a person's skin. We are all human beings, irrespective of the colour of the individuals skin. Surely there are more important things to consider.
And yet in 2021, this one issue divides opinion more than anything else. How mad is that.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
And that is what Lewis Hamilton is trying to change. To attract a wider range of races into motor racing.

But the most important thing is, why are we making so much fuss about the colour of a person's skin. We are all human beings, irrespective of the colour of the individuals skin. Surely there are more important things to consider.
And yet in 2021, this one issue divides opinion more than anything else. How mad is that.
It's sad isn't it.

I think it'll take maybe 2 generations of people until it's normalised unfortunately.

Global travel has only really become normalised in recent years, I'd imagine in some remote parts of Europe there's still no black people living in some places etc.

I know that many of the elderly generation are still quite racist unfortunately, and that obviously drips down.

I think until civilisations are so mixed that it's just normal to see a different face then it'll exist.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I think Hamilton will go a long way to bringing more black racing drivers to the sport as they now have a true role model to aspire to in the sense that they have someone who has been one of the best in the sport to show it can be done. It’s often easy to forget though how wealthy you usually need to be to make it in motorsport. It’s incredibly expensive, even when you’re young and in go karting.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
I think Hamilton will go a long way to bringing more black racing drivers to the sport as they now have a true role model to aspire to in the sense that they have someone who has been one of the best in the sport to show it can be done. It’s often easy to forget though how wealthy you usually need to be to make it in motorsport. It’s incredibly expensive, even when you’re young and in go karting.
Just looking through the Wiki's of the current grid you either have to have money or a family that's connected to Motorsport and sometimes both and most of the time parents that will back them from the word go.

The Hilton

Well you're now agreeing with me that Lewis has a shot at the title, so even if Max goes on to win all the remaining races by 3min you can't then go back to claim that I really was insulting your intelligence back when you used to believe that the opinion you're currently holding was ridiculous.

You're right though that we can't know what effect car upgrades will have and we can't know what's going to happen during a race weekend, which is the exact reason why I'm a bit hesitant over handing out the WC trophy when there's 10+ races left of the season and it's so close in the standings.

As for the rest, I really don't want to get into it again but I didn't conveniently forget anything, we just seemingly have very different definitions on practically everything related to F1 history. I think no team has ever dominated like Merc, you don't which is fine and I'd want nothing more than to leave it at that.
Yeah that's fair enough, I agree that no team has dominated like them, but I disagree that it was always down to the car. Anyway, I also don't have any interest in going over all of it again.

As for this season, I think Lewis has a shot, but he's really up against it. It looks like Max still has the faster car, at least over race distance, so he's gonna need some luck. But you've gotta admit, the difference is like night and day from before Silverstone, maybe Merc changed their approach from focusing entirely on next year?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Yeah that's fair enough, I agree that no team has dominated like them, but I disagree that it was always down to the car. Anyway, I also don't have any interest in going over all of it again.

As for this season, I think Lewis has a shot, but he's really up against it. It looks like Max still has the faster car, at least over race distance, so he's gonna need some luck. But you've gotta admit, the difference is like night and day from before Silverstone, maybe Merc changed their approach from focusing entirely on next year?
It's hard to say since we haven't really had a chance to compare Merc and RB since Merc upgraded their car, all we've got is Lewis going 2 for 2 in qualifying and Max pulling away during the sprint race. So I don't know where they stand at the moment really, all I'm hoping for is that it's close all the way to the end.

dinostar77

It's hard to say since we haven't really had a chance to compare Merc and RB since Merc upgraded their car, all we've got is Lewis going 2 for 2 in qualifying and Max pulling away during the sprint race. So I don't know where they stand at the moment really, all I'm hoping for is that it's close all the way to the end.
All the teams will have now stopped any development of new parts on the current cars and switched over totally to next seasons car. They will obviously try to get the very last ounce out of this years package.

Agree that we dont know where the Mercs and RBs are in relation to each other. Mercs didnt bring any updates for awhile then brought a slew of updates for Silverstone. I suspect that that the RB is still the better car by 0.2 of a second. The electric deployment is longer than that of the Mercs which will help on tracks such as Spa and Monza. Also RB can run less drag on their rear wing which will help them again.

However both Max and Perez will face engine penalties somewhere in the 2nd half of the season as Horner confirmed that they will have to use 4 engines each and only 3 per driver for the course of the season is permitted.

Also the damage from the last two races will have hit RB somewhere in their plans financially.

I can see Max winning the next two races (spa and dutch gp), but i hope it goes down to the last race of the year. That would be awesome.

Fridge chutney

Just looking through the Wiki's of the current grid you either have to have money or a family that's connected to Motorsport and sometimes both and most of the time parents that will back them from the word go.
Spot on. Which makes Lewis's achievements in the face of adversity even more impressive.

Also, as I understand, Ocon had humble upbringings so I was very happy to see him win at the weekend.

Fluctuation0161

Spot on. Which makes Lewis's achievements in the face of adversity even more impressive.

Also, as I understand, Ocon had humble upbringings so I was very happy to see him win at the weekend.
Yes, I believe the same. Was pleased for him. Would be nice to have a "non cash rich" driver make it again.

Moiraine

I give up on Formula 1.

In 2 races Mercedes have;

Taken 6 cars out (3 of them their direct rivals)
Destroyed 2 Red bull engines
Taken Hamilton’s only rival out twice
Ensured red bull get engine penalties
Cost teams millions in damage

Mercedes walk away extending both of their championship leads. What the actual feck…….

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's sad isn't it.

I think it'll take maybe 2 generations of people until it's normalised unfortunately.

Global travel has only really become normalised in recent years, I'd imagine in some remote parts of Europe there's still no black people living in some places etc.

I know that many of the elderly generation are still quite racist unfortunately, and that obviously drips down.

I think until civilisations are so mixed that it's just normal to see a different face then it'll exist.
Agree with all of this. I am hopeful that the next generation will be far more understanding than ours.

dinostar77

I give up on Formula 1.

Mercedes walk away extending both of their championship leads. What the actual feck…….
I guess your new to F1 or a younger generation. Compared to how unreliable cars were in Schmacher era, things blowing up regularly or the balls to the walls racing of senna/mansell/prost/piquet this has been fairly timid overall in terms of cost. Its called motor racing for a reason. These things balance out over a course of a season. Mercedes have dropped huge points this season and will bound to between now and end of season. RB will drop points and gain points between now and end of season.

Fluctuation0161

I give up on Formula 1.

Welcome to F1. Things can change very quickly.

It is the football equivalent of having lots of injured players at the club or having key players come back from injuries at key time. Ups and downs.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I give up on Formula 1.

What a shame. A shame that you think that F1 or any other type of racing is risk free and without any form of contact or accidents.

Yes of course Bottas made an error. That happens.
And yes of course, when you get 2 cars of similar pace 2 meters wide driven by 2 drivers, neither of who wants to yield, you are going to get contact.
That is why it is called racing and why millions of people all over the world follow it.
But not you any longer. Shame about that.

pauldyson1uk

I give up on Formula 1.

So I take you think this is a big plan by Mercedes to just take out the opposition?
Sorry I think this post is way off the mark.
Its racing and shit happens.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Yes, I believe the same. Was pleased for him. Would be nice to have a "non cash rich" driver make it again.
The two biggest drivers of the past decade both had relatively humble upbringings. You got to wonder how much talent is being missed out on due to the insane costs of the junior series.

Fully Fledged

There are a lot of people who dislike him for pointing out the point that ethnic minorities are vastly underrepresented in the the sport.

dinostar77

The two biggest drivers of the past decade both had relatively humble upbringings. You got to wonder how much talent is being missed out on due to the insane costs of the junior series.
Who are you referring to Lewis Hamilton and Fernando Alonso?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There are a lot of people who dislike him for pointing out the point that ethnic minorities are vastly underrepresented in the the sport.
One thing you can definitely say about Lewis Hamilton is that he is not afraid of speaking out against inequality at any level. And I respect him as much for that as his brilliance as a racing driver.
He is happy at being booed because he knows that he is getting through to people. Especially racists.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

ChaddyP

I give up on Formula 1.

Boo fricking hoo :lol:.

I've seen this sorta thing happen in local racing muchless.