F1 2021 Season

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Honestly the fanboyism in the sport is becoming ridiculous.

Fully Fledged

One thing you can definitely say about Lewis Hamilton is that he is not afraid of speaking out against inequality at any level. And I respect him as much for that as his brilliance as a racing driver.
He is happy at being booed because he knows that he is getting through to people. Especially racists.
Oh I agree totally that he steps out of the comfort zone to tackle important issues regardless of the abuse he suffers for it. The same can be said for Rashford. Both heroes for standing up for people who don't have the platform they have.

dinostar77

Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel were those with humbler upbringings compared to most the rich kids on the grid currently. Riccardo was probably from an ordinary family as well, I think the town he's from was pretty small, so his folks can't be that well off, but probably had a very comfortable upbringing.

https://the-race.com/formula-1/billionaires-sons-only-mark-hughes-on-money-and-talent-in-f1/
Great link, interesting comment

..."All that said, it’s quite interesting that the last four pre-eminent drivers in F1 – Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher – are all from very ordinary backgrounds...."

Coincidence? A correlation that you shouldn't read too much into?

Here are the backgrounds of the rest of the current grid: (2020 season).

Valtteri Bottas – Father had a small cleaning company, mother was an undertaker

Max Verstappen – Son of ex-F1 driver Jos and quick karting racer Sophie Kumpen

Alex Albon – Son of sometime racer Nigel and Thai businesswoman Kankamol

Sergio Perez – Son of a fairly wealthy businessman and politician

Lance Stroll – Son of billionaire businessman Lawrence

Daniel Ricciardo – Father ran a medium-sized transport company

Esteban Ocon – Son of Laurent, owner of a small local garage

Lando Norris – Son of wealthy pension manager Adam

Carlos Sainz Jr – Son of legendary world rally champion Carlos

Pierre Gasly – Born into a motor racing family, but not believed to be a wealthy one

Daniil Kvyat – Son of Vyacheslav, a financial director with a Russian energy company

Charles Leclerc – Son of the late Herve Leclerc, former F3 driver. Not believed to be wealthy

Kimi Raikkonen – Modest family background, father a forestry worker

Antonio Giovinazzi – Modest family background, father a salesman

Kevin Magnussen – Son of ex-F1 driver Jan

Romain Grosjean – Son of a bank employee with a motorsports interest

George Russell – Son of small business owner Steve

Nicholas Latifi – Son of billionaire businessman Michael

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Honestly the fanboyism in the sport is becoming ridiculous.
If what you refer to as fanboyism is actually individuals who have a particular favourite team/driver and who by definition want their driver to beat their rivals, then I see nothing wrong with that.

Many of us have waited years for a genuine contest between the best teams and drivers. With proper close racing and proper drama and suspense. And so ft, 2021 has exactly that.

Rivalry is healthy. And yes, sometimes it goes a little too far.
But that is just passion and not that different to football rivalry.

Jack-C20

Great link, interesting comment

..."All that said, it’s quite interesting that the last four pre-eminent drivers in F1 – Lewis Hamilton, Sebastian Vettel, Fernando Alonso and Michael Schumacher – are all from very ordinary backgrounds...."

Coincidence? A correlation that you shouldn't read too much into?

Here are the backgrounds of the rest of the current grid: (2020 season).

Valtteri Bottas – Father had a small cleaning company, mother was an undertaker

Max Verstappen – Son of ex-F1 driver Jos and quick karting racer Sophie Kumpen

Alex Albon – Son of sometime racer Nigel and Thai businesswoman Kankamol

Sergio Perez – Son of a fairly wealthy businessman and politician

Lance Stroll – Son of billionaire businessman Lawrence

Daniel Ricciardo – Father ran a medium-sized transport company

Esteban Ocon – Son of Laurent, owner of a small local garage

Lando Norris – Son of wealthy pension manager Adam

Carlos Sainz Jr – Son of legendary world rally champion Carlos

Pierre Gasly – Born into a motor racing family, but not believed to be a wealthy one

Daniil Kvyat – Son of Vyacheslav, a financial director with a Russian energy company

Charles Leclerc – Son of the late Herve Leclerc, former F3 driver. Not believed to be wealthy

Kimi Raikkonen – Modest family background, father a forestry worker

Antonio Giovinazzi – Modest family background, father a salesman

Kevin Magnussen – Son of ex-F1 driver Jan

Romain Grosjean – Son of a bank employee with a motorsports interest

George Russell – Son of small business owner Steve

Nicholas Latifi – Son of billionaire businessman Michael
The one that surprised me is Leclerc. Being from Monaco I just assumed he was from a mega rich family :lol:

dinostar77

A shout out to the utterly brillant Tom Clarkson "Beyond the Grid" podcast on spotify. Dont just listen to the current drivers, managers, engineers designers etc. Have a listen to the guys from the past. Some great absorbing stories. I normally listen when doing DIY or gardening.

You get some interesting insight into eras before you were born or information you were never aware about. Apparently Jim Clark was very very fast. For some of these older guys, the best there has ever been in F1.

Also Johnny Herbert was ridiculously quick but a horrific F3 crash damaged his feet to the extent he was never the same driver and lost that "special" talent he had.

The amateur approach of some teams in the 1980s comes across. Not the clincial surgical approach you see today. But the physical demands on the drivers and teams were greater back then. Its fascinating to listen to.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Welcome to F1. Things can change very quickly.

It is the football equivalent of having lots of injured players at the club or having key players come back from injuries at key time. Ups and downs.
I mean, he would have a point if Mercedes had done all those things deliberately and managed to evade punishment. But they didn't.

Fridge chutney

Also Johnny Herbert was ridiculously quick but a horrific F3 crash damaged his feet to the extent he was never the same driver and lost that "special" talent he had.
Interesting, I didn't know this. I met Johnny Herbert when I was a kid at a Le Mans event. Really nice guy.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
He podiumed at two of my favourite races ever - the 1996 Monaco Grand Prix where no-one seemingly wanted to finish the race, and his win at the 1999 European Grand Prix where Ferrari forgot how to change tyres and possibly cost Irvine the title.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
I give up on Formula 1.

In 2 races Mercedes have;

Taken 6 cars out (3 of them their direct rivals)
Destroyed 2 Red bull engines
Taken Hamilton’s only rival out twice
Ensured red bull get engine penalties
Cost teams millions in damage

Mercedes walk away extending both of their championship leads. What the actual feck…….
After Verstappen was hit at turn 1, I had psychologically prepared myself for a 26 point swing in Hamilton’s favour. The fact that the swing turned out to be only 16 points in the end is a win in my books.

Mercedes’ bizarre decision to stay out on inters when the track was bone-dry, combined with Hamilton’s mediocre racecraft against Alonso, has given Verstappen’s WDC chances a second lifeline.

I was also quite amazed that Max managed to score a few points today with such a damaged car.

dinostar77

Honda may have lost a few horses.

https://t.co/ICaUQq8CnW

‘Mercedes think FIA directive has slowed down Honda’

....They say “there are reports from the Mercedes corner that Honda have been slowed down by a directive from the FIA. Allegedly, there have been disagreements for four months about how the Japanese [manufacturer] operate their energy management”....

Honda deny this

https://racingnews365.com/honda-deny-theory-that-a-technical-directive-has-curtailed-their-power

However it could be like Ferrari of 2019 when they were doing something funky with their Oil/Fuel and we will never know.

One way to found out for sure is how fast the RB is will be the long straight at Spa.

Last edited:

pauldyson1uk

Honda may have lost a few horses.

https://t.co/ICaUQq8CnW

‘Mercedes think FIA directive has slowed down Honda’

....They say “there are reports from the Mercedes corner that Honda have been slowed down by a directive from the FIA. Allegedly, there have been disagreements for four months about how the Japanese [manufacturer] operate their energy management”....

Honda deny this

https://racingnews365.com/honda-deny-theory-that-a-technical-directive-has-curtailed-their-power

However it could be like Ferrari of 2019 when they were doing something funky with their Oil/Fuel and we will never know.

One way to fond out for sure is how fast the RB is will be the long straight at Spa.
something was 100% different after the summer break with them, sadly we will never know.
Maybe caugh cheating with fuel/oil admitted it, but on the understanding it was not announced, I dont know, just a theory.
Mercedes would not have put it out, if there was not something in it, but again we may never know.
The FIA are said to have denied any such directive, although this “doesn’t necessarily mean much” because “as a rule, corrections to the engine are not made public”.

Last edited:

ArjenIsM3

something was 100% different after the summer break with them, sadly we will never know.
Maybe caugh cheating with fuel/oil admitted it, but on the understanding it was not announced, I dont know, just a theory.
Mercedes would not have put it out, if there was not something in it, but again we may never know.
The FIA are said to have denied any such directive, although this “doesn’t necessarily mean much” because “as a rule, corrections to the engine are not made public”.
When was something different according to you? Summer break is now right?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I enjoyed this one so I might as well post it up here, got to love Raikkonen.

dinostar77

Adrian Newey has described next years car as the biggest changes in F1 in 40 years. Other than the powertrain everything is new. A formidable challenge. I honestly think we could see a "Brawn" appear next season and a shock potential WC, while the likes of Merc and RB try to catch up.

Leg-End

Adrian Newey has described next years car as the biggest changes in F1 in 40 years. Other than the powertrain everything is new. A formidable challenge. I honestly think we could see a "Brawn" appear next season and a shock potential WC, while the likes of Merc and RB try to catch up.
Let's hope so.

Having Newey onboard is such a massive plus for Red Bull, he has vast experience of making ground effect work in the past and yes obviously there are plenty of engineers out there that have the same among the teams but Newey is the king.

It's exciting as I think the style of racing will change too.

pauldyson1uk

McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl took a gentle dig at his opposite number at Red Bull, Christian Horner, for his ongoing complaints about the impact of damage on Formula 1 teams in the cost cap era following the expensive Hungarian Grand Prix.

Horner announced the cost of Max Verstappen’s crash at Silverstone as $1.8 million and was then further annoyed by the repair bill from the race in Budapest, when both Red Bulls were damaged after Valtteri Bottas’ error at Turn 1. Both McLarens also took big hits — Lando Norris was forced to retire after contact with Bottas and Verstappen, while Daniel Ricciardo was caught in a separate crash with Lance Stroll and Charles Leclerc — but Seidl said that dealing with the extra cost when there are budget restrictions is simply part of F1.

“No (it doesn’t need addressing), not at all,” Seidl said. “I definitely will not go in the direction that Christian is going, mentioning every second sentence the cost cap and how much it will be hurt by it by an accident on track. In the end, it’s part of the game we’re in. It’s down to us to manage the budget in the right way.

“It will be a challenge to make sure now we have enough parts of the new specification available for Spa, but on the other hand, we have a great team back home in production and the engineering side, so I am confident we can recover from what happened.

“I don’t see that it affects anything of our plans, to be honest. It is quite simple and straightforward. At the beginning of the season, based on the experience of previous years, you simply have to account for certain crash damage per year. That’s what you have to figure in, and that’s what we have in the budget and that’s the challenge that we are in. It’s the same for everyone.”

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
McLaren team principal Andreas Seidl took a gentle dig at his opposite number at Red Bull, Christian Horner, for his ongoing complaints about the impact of damage on Formula 1 teams in the cost cap era following the expensive Hungarian Grand Prix.

Horner announced the cost of Max Verstappen’s crash at Silverstone as $1.8 million and was then further annoyed by the repair bill from the race in Budapest, when both Red Bulls were damaged after Valtteri Bottas’ error at Turn 1. Both McLarens also took big hits — Lando Norris was forced to retire after contact with Bottas and Verstappen, while Daniel Ricciardo was caught in a separate crash with Lance Stroll and Charles Leclerc — but Seidl said that dealing with the extra cost when there are budget restrictions is simply part of F1.

“No (it doesn’t need addressing), not at all,” Seidl said. “I definitely will not go in the direction that Christian is going, mentioning every second sentence the cost cap and how much it will be hurt by it by an accident on track. In the end, it’s part of the game we’re in. It’s down to us to manage the budget in the right way.

“It will be a challenge to make sure now we have enough parts of the new specification available for Spa, but on the other hand, we have a great team back home in production and the engineering side, so I am confident we can recover from what happened.

“I don’t see that it affects anything of our plans, to be honest. It is quite simple and straightforward. At the beginning of the season, based on the experience of previous years, you simply have to account for certain crash damage per year. That’s what you have to figure in, and that’s what we have in the budget and that’s the challenge that we are in. It’s the same for everyone.”
If he was fighting the Mercs for a world championship it would be a different story,, 1.8 million may be a small chunk in the 145m cap bit it could be the difference in who gets to develop the car towards the end of season

dinostar77

If he was fighting the Mercs for a world championship it would be a different story,, 1.8 million may be a small chunk in the 145m cap bit it could be the difference in who gets to develop the car towards the end of season
Thats not the point though. Point is that when RB were doing their budget work they should have a margin for on track incidents. If there was no budget cap we wouldnt hear a word about this issue.

pauldyson1uk

Will the teams be penalised if they spend too much?
Put simply, yes. There are three categories of potential breaches. The first is a procedural breach, such as a team submitting their accounts late or inaccurately. The second is a minor overspend breach, when a team’s report shows they have exceeded the cost cap by less than 5 percent or the Cost Cap Administration finds they have exceeded that percentage. The third is a material overspend breach, where a team’s submission of their accounts or an investigation by the panel shows they have exceeded the cost cap by more than 5 percent.
Once a breach has been identified, three forms of penalty are possible. The first is a financial penalty. The value of the fine will be determined on a case-by-case basis. The second is a minor sporting penalty which could be a combination of a reprimand, deduction of constructors and/or drivers points, a ban for a certain number of races, limitations on testing – both CFD and on-track – and/or a reduction of their cost cap.
The third is the material sporting penalty, which is the most serious as it can involve all of the above plus exclusion from the World Championship.

dinostar77

OK not F1 but worth watching.

That was interesting. Aquaplaining coming into bus stop chicane from 190mph would make anyone scared. Going through Eau Rouge in that weather with a car stopped on Eau Rouge itself is simply reckless. The car that spun at Eau Rouge had that come in for wets? Was it cold tyres? Or just too much water for the wets to handle?

dinostar77

mitChley

Watch some indi car highlights over the weekend, didn't fully understand the rules but I think if you cause a yellow flag that interrupts someone else's qualifying lap then your top lap time is deleted. Was an interesting idea, can see some positives and negatives of it.

pauldyson1uk

dinostar77

I have seen that, was just about to post it, the summer break could bring a few upgrades from some teams.
Merc and Red Bull I think may have some, but most teams are concentrating on 2022, we shall see soon enough.
The Ferrari PU updates are interesting as it could bring them into contention of the front of the grid at GPs again. That will have an impact on the championship and their race with Mclaren for 3rd in constructors.

Also im not sure if the PU design is being carried over to next season as i had read reports that ferrari have gone in a different direction to Honda and Mercedes as their was potential for significant gains for the PU for 2022.

Honda tried this a few seasons back and failed and switched over to Mercedes PU design. Ferrari tried going down a different route with its push rods /pull rods which didnt work. They tried to down a different route with channelling the airflow off the front wing which didnt work. So they are happy to take risks. Though with the budget cap in place, the 2022 Ferrari PU has to deliver.

Fluctuation0161

Very fair point, well made by him. That is exactly what should be accounted for in budgets.