F1 2021 Season

The Firestarter

The point of a sport is the sport and not TV slots. Those TV slots got naught regardless if there was a race tomorrow or not. Actually instead of getting nothing they had to sell 3 laps behind a production car as their product today. Great stuff.
Yeah, you are quite naive. The money for this sport come from TV rights.

The point is, a race on Monday was not possible. I don't know whether a rescheduling could have worked.

Abizzz

Grib

It was a farce similar to that ferrari usa gp years ago

If you want to award the points just do it, no need to spend a day waiting about to run a few sc laps, dont treat people like mugs

If they couldn't race should have just cancelled it

And F1 wonders why it has issues attracting fans....

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
A sport that is inherently broken to the core.
Of course the drivers can’t fecking see on a fully wet track, but if you get the cars turning the course at race pace, more than likely the on track water will dissipate…

How is it we can have races like Spain 96, but days like today are deemed “too wet”.

either drivers don’t know how to drive to the conditions, or the tire manufacturers can’t design a fecking tire.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Of course the drivers can’t fecking see on a fully wet track, but if you get the cars turning the course at race pace, more than likely the on track water will dissipate…

How is it we can have races like Spain 96, but days like today are deemed “too wet”.

either drivers don’t know how to drive to the conditions, or the tire manufacturers can’t design a fecking tire.
Remember the race coulthard took Schumacher’s tire out

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.

It wasn't about any of that, the drivers literally couldn't see a thing. You can't 'drive to the conditions' by driving with basically your eyes closed.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
It wasn't about any of that, the drivers literally couldn't see a thing. You can't 'drive to the conditions' by driving with basically your eyes closed.
Even wet race tracks improve with cars driving around. Those conditions yesterday were not different to conditions we’ve seen races go on in the past. Even turkey last year. It was simply a case that there was standing water on the track impeding drivers vision. They should have just kept circling under the safety car instead of two laps and throwing in the towel.

By the sounds of it, the wet tyres in f1 are a pile of shit and near verging on grooved slick tyres hence the reason they pretty much need minimal rain to get out on track.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Even wet race tracks improve with cars driving around. Those conditions yesterday were not different to conditions we’ve seen races go on in the past. Even turkey last year. It was simply a case that there was standing water on the track impeding drivers vision. They should have just kept circling under the safety car instead of two laps and throwing in the towel.

By the sounds of it, the wet tyres in f1 are a pile of shit and near verging on grooved slip tyres hence the reason they pretty much need minimal rain to get out on track.
The water was coming down harder than it could be displaced even by the full field. It was mentioned multiple times.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The water was coming down harder than it could be displaced even by the full field. It was mentioned multiple times.
Yes indeed. Sometimes, you just have to accept that the weather is going to beat you. As anyone in the UK will know only too well.

Camilo

Why did they give out any points yesterday?! Nobody deserved them, there wasn't a race! Cancel it and move on for goodness sake, it's pathetic. If Max wins the championship because of these points, is that really right?!

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Why did they give out any points yesterday?! Nobody deserved them, there wasn't a race! Cancel it and move on for goodness sake, it's pathetic. If Max wins the championship because of these points, is that really right?!
You say that, but then are you telling me George Russell deserved nothing from that race after such a great qualification?
Max also surely earned something qualifying first.

Imagine all that effort and even then, getting nothing out of it.

pauldyson1uk

I stopped watching, they should have just cancelled the race.
I knew they would get out for the 2 laps needed to call half points, total farce by FIA and the stewards.
The problem was not the wet weather tyres, They can be used on a wet track with no standing water, as well as a drying surface. This tyre evacuates 30 litres of water per second per tyre at 300kph.
The problem was there was lots of standing water and even more rain falling, even the 20 cars would not have cleared the water enough to make inters an option.
Was Lewis right about the money, yes I suspect he was, there was a race and a result !! so no money back for the fans who stood out in the rain all day and paid a shed load of money.
One thing that came really apparent was just how complicated the F1 rules are, not even the teams had a clue what was going on.
Spa at the end of August, what did they expect, at Spa it rains and rains a lot.

andy0

Yeah, you are quite naive. The money for this sport come from TV rights.

The point is, a race on Monday was not possible. I don't know whether a rescheduling could have worked.
Why not?

Wimbledon once managed to have a final on a Monday.

What could tennis have done instead? One player takes one serve in the rain, then the match is called off? Whoever wins that point is the champion. Of course not, but that would still be more play than there was in this farce.

What would happen in a skiing competition if that week's venue had no snow? Grass skiing instead? No. They'd rearrange to a different venue, then come back a few weeks later. If motor racing logistics is too big to be able to wait a day or two (Spa will be sunny with showers today, and fine tomorrow), then an event like yesterday should be nulled.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Could they not have just allocated the sprint race points, would seem a bit fairer at least.

Camilo

You say that, but then are you telling me George Russell deserved nothing from that race after such a great qualification?

None of them deserved anything... There wasn't a race! He got a 2nd place qualification, which will be written down in history. His 2nd place in the race and the subsequent points are irrelevant. He didn't earn them.

Belgium GP Results

pauldyson1uk

RankDriverNumberTeamGridPitsFastest LapRace TimePointsPts
1Max Verstappen33Red Bull1003:18.37403:27.071012.5
2George Russell63Williams2003:18.8041.995 behind9
3Lewis Hamilton44Mercedes3003:19.1012.601 behind7.5
4Daniel Ricciardo3McLaren4003:19.1874.496 behind6
5Sebastian Vettel5Aston Martin5003:18.4967.479 behind5
6Pierre Gasly10AlphaTauri6003:19.28410.177 behind4
7Esteban Ocon31Alpine7003:18.52011.579 behind3
8Charles Leclerc16Ferrari8003:19.18112.608 behind2
9Nicholas Latifi6Williams9003:18.86715.484 behind1
10Carlos Sainz Jnr55Ferrari10003:18.92616.166 behind0.5
11Fernando Alonso14Alpine11003:18.06920.590 behind00
12Valtteri Bottas77Mercedes12003:18.03622.414 behind00
13Antonio Giovinazzi99Alfa Romeo13003:18.20224.163 behind00
14Lando Norris4McLaren14003:18.47727.109 behind00
15Yuki Tsunoda22AlphaTauri15003:18.30828.329 behind00
16Mick Schumacher47Haas16003:18.83329.507 behind00
17Nikita Mazepin9Haas1700
fastest overall lap 3:18.016
31.993 behind00
18Kimi Raikkonen7Alfa Romeonot available-003:18.96336.054 behind00
19Sergio Perez11Red Bullnot available-003:19.44038.205 behind00
20Lance Stroll18Aston Martin18003:18.03344.108 behind00

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
2 Lewis fans didn't want the end result... Shock

Where does it end though?
The teams turned up. They got the cars ready. They tweaked them for the track.
Things still happened.

The drivers still went onto the track, put in their best laps.
Go tell George that all his efforts were for nothing because of something out of his control and every ones control.

Of course a championship could be determined by yesterdays result.
But theres so many other things you could look at that could easily be deemed unfair that could massively play out the outcome of the season

Abizzz

RankDriverNumberTeamGridPitsFastest LapRace TimePointsPts
1Max Verstappen33Red Bull1003:18.37403:27.071012.5
2George Russell63Williams2003:18.8041.995 behind9
3Lewis Hamilton44Mercedes3003:19.1012.601 behind7.5
4Daniel Ricciardo3McLaren4003:19.1874.496 behind6
5Sebastian Vettel5Aston Martin5003:18.4967.479 behind5
6Pierre Gasly10AlphaTauri6003:19.28410.177 behind4
7Esteban Ocon31Alpine7003:18.52011.579 behind3
8Charles Leclerc16Ferrari8003:19.18112.608 behind2
9Nicholas Latifi6Williams9003:18.86715.484 behind1
10Carlos Sainz Jnr55Ferrari10003:18.92616.166 behind0.5
11Fernando Alonso14Alpine11003:18.06920.590 behind00
12Valtteri Bottas77Mercedes12003:18.03622.414 behind00
13Antonio Giovinazzi99Alfa Romeo13003:18.20224.163 behind00
14Lando Norris4McLaren14003:18.47727.109 behind00
15Yuki Tsunoda22AlphaTauri15003:18.30828.329 behind00
16Mick Schumacher47Haas16003:18.83329.507 behind00
17Nikita Mazepin9Haas1700
fastest overall lap 3:18.016
31.993 behind00
18Kimi Raikkonen7Alfa Romeonot available-003:18.96336.054 behind00
19Sergio Perez11Red Bullnot available-003:19.44038.205 behind00
20Lance Stroll18Aston Martin18003:18.03344.108 behind00
What where the odds on Mazepin getting fastest lap :D ? Glad he was outside the top 10 though.

pauldyson1uk

Things still happened.

Go tell George that all his efforts were for nothing because of something out of his control and every ones control.

But theres so many other things you could look at that could easily be deemed unfair that could massively play out the outcome of the season
what does that have to do with it?
It was no race, how can a precession behind the SC be counted has a race.
OK Russell had a fantastic result in qualifying, if the race had gone ahead, I doubt he would have finished even in the podium.
If you want to turn it in to some sort of Lewis thing, thats up to you.
Max is a fantastic driver in the wet, his pole lap was excellent, Russells was even better, but its has been said many time on here races are not won on a Saturday, well in this case the rules say yes it can be, I dont agree with those rules.

slyadams

Are people suggesting race on Monday actually thinking? Surely the stewards are the least problem. All the networks have paid and scheduled a particular timeslot, it cannot be just reshuffled - maybe for some sports only networks it is not that much a hassle - but in general it is a problem. Also, all the people in the crowd that actually have day jobs/school, and can't be excused for a F1 race attendance.
They are thinking, lots of sports do it. Are you suggesting that awarding points for 2 laps behind the safety car OR cancelling the race is preferable to a Monday race where attendance would be lower and viewership a bit tricker?

The TV schedule argument is hogwash. The number of times TV has to deal with sporting reschedules (see cricket) is numerous, it’s not hard. Monday is hardly a packed day sports wise.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
F1 Official Page putting George Russell's trophy pic as their cover photo.
This is hilarious, and I even like Russell.

Fluctuation0161

Yes, the podium and points awarded was a joke. qualifying is not the race and a few formation laps are not a race.

Fluctuation0161

Things still happened.

It's nothing to do with who they are fans of. There was no race!!

Abizzz

It's nothing to do with who they are fans of. There was no race!!
Think it's likely Max lost more than Hamilton here. Max has the talent and car to take the win from pole and Hamilton wouldn't have gotten further than second unless very fortunate (factor in being at higher risk between cars than at the front too). If Max had won and Lewis finished 2nd Max would have gained more over Lewis than through this farce.

Balljy

Things still happened.

Every driver I have seen comment on it has said that it was a farce that points were given including Verstappen, Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso. Team principals have said the same and I'm sure the likes of Russell would only want the points doing what they are paid to do which is race. There was no race so how can there be points given out!

Lewis Hamilton: Belgian Grand Prix was 'a farce' - BBC Sport

Fluctuation0161

Think it's likely Max lost more than Hamilton here. Max has the talent and car to take the win from pole and Hamilton wouldn't have gotten further than second unless very fortunate (factor in being at higher risk between cars than at the front too). If Max had won and Lewis finished 2nd Max would have gained more over Lewis than through this farce.
Very hard to say. But the visibility from the front was much better so Max would've had a clear advantage from the start.

But for me, it's not about the result, it's the fact there was no race. I love Russell, but to see him coming bouncing out onto the podium when there was no race was embarrassing.

Abizzz

Very hard to say. But the visibility from the front was much better so Max would've had a clear advantage from the start.

But for me, it's not about the result, it's the fact there was no race. I love Russell, but to see him coming bouncing out onto the podium when there was no race was embarrassing.
Oh, I agree. Would prefer them just handing out half points for qualifying over calling 3 laps behind a safety car a grand prix. It's Trumpesque in it's absurdity really.

Pavl3n

Wow... what a ludicrous decision. I only started again following F1 this season and this just ruined the competition.

Dan_F

Things still happened.

That would be fine if the rules actually say that qualifying decides the result if there is no race. However it doesn’t, so they went through the sham of 2 laps to make it so.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

I can’t blame Russell, it’s his first podium and he’s bound to be excited, it’s also a huge deal for Williams essentially cementing themselves ahead of Haas in the constructors which clearly means a lot to him.

I do feel the fact they decided to call this a race and have a result though is stupid. It should have been cancelled.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Wow... what a ludicrous decision. I only started again following F1 this season and this just ruined the competition.
If max wins the championship by a point it should have a big asterix next to it... hopefully it does not come down to this and it can be consigned to a shambolic gp like the USA one from a few years ago where the tyres couldn't cope with the banked corners

Leg-End

Let’s be honest if Hamilton won that “race” a good percentage of the fan base would be frothing at the mouth in outrage.

The decision will stand because it’s their own rules, they will obviously have to look at changing the rules to avoid this again.

Camilo

Things still happened.

He got a 2nd place qualifying result. That's all he achieved. That's not nothing.

He doesn't deserve a single point, and neither does anyone else, because there wasn't a race. Primary school F1, where we have to be nice to everyone, points for participation etc..

ArjenIsM3

So I've just checked the weather for the Dutch GP and as it stands it's a sunny weekend untill sunday 3PM. Rain from 3 to 5. Not even joking :lol:

hobbers

Considering how Max lost 25 points in Silverstone and in Baku I don't think he'll care if he wins by those points he got yesterday.