F1 2021 Season

The Hilton

Brilliant from Lando, great to see him on pole, with his ability he should be there a lot in the future.

The Hilton

Because it's accurate and it clearly annoys the hell out of the people it applies to.

I'm just a simple Norris fan who likes playing devils advocate in a thread where the balance is always tilted by spoilt whiny Hamilton fans.
Another huge unforced error from Hamilton.
A Norris fan who's only post when he gets on pole is to trash talk about Hamilton? I detect a porkie pie!

The Hilton

Norris wasn't on pole when I posted that, clever cloggs.

Rent free or what?
Rent free? Like you bothering to post about Hamilton but not the guy you proclaim to support getting his first Pole?

It's bizarre that you can't admit to being a Verstappen fan, as if it makes your hilarious bias less biased.

hobbers

Rent free? Like you bothering to post about Hamilton but not the guy you proclaim to support getting his first Pole?

It's bizarre that you can't admit to being a Verstappen fan, as if it makes your hilarious bias less biased.
It's sad that a word on a forum gets to you this much.

I'm delighted for Norris. I also want Verstappen to beat Hamilton to the title because he's been by far the better driver so far this season. They're not mutually exclusive.

Leg-End

If Norris can lead out of Lap 1 he can win this if McLaren play it right. Mercedes will be quick but they overthink every move.

Wouldn't rule out Max at all, one well timed SC and he's in the game.

The Hilton

It's sad that a word on a forum gets to you this much.

I'm delighted for Norris. I also want Verstappen to beat Hamilton to the title because he's been by far the better driver so far this season. They're not mutually exclusive.
Haha its sad that you're clearly lying about who you're a fan of, would be better to just admit it.

You posted about Hamilton within a minute of him hitting the wall, yet within half an hour of Norris getting his first pole nothing, and it took until the second prompting for you to even mention it.

Just be honest dude, we all know who you support, you make it painfully obvious, stop trying to hide it.

hobbers

Haha its sad that you're clearly lying about who you're a fan of, would be better to just admit it.

You posted about Hamilton within a minute of him hitting the wall, yet within half an hour of Norris getting his first pole nothing, and it took until the second prompting for you to even mention it.

Just be honest dude, we all know who you support, you make it painfully obvious, stop trying to hide it.
Rent free like I said. :lol:

Giving you some slack, I guess when you have that sort of mindset you automatically assume everyone else must be the same, especially when their opinions diverge with yours.

But bore off now, it isn't even raceday and you've already tried to instigate fanboy wars.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Who gives a shit, can you guys please just cut it out?! Both of you.

pauldyson1uk

If Norris can lead out of Lap 1 he can win this if McLaren play it right. Mercedes will be quick but they overthink every move.

very good point and the Merc in dirty air is ordinary.
I see Lewis getting in to second pretty quickly, but Norris maybe harder to pass.
Max with a new engine will cut though the field and will end up high in the points.

Sick of the petty bickering in this thread, its worse than kids in the school playground, can we just cut it out !!

The Hilton

Who gives a shit, can you guys please just cut it out?! Both of you.
I don't think this is particularly fair, as I was just calling someone out for posting something contrary to the truth. However, mod has spoken, I'll drop it.

That's a really good point about Mercedes, they've made a lot of terrible calls so far this season.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
YES LANDO AND GEORGE. Cracking tactics and well driven for those positions. They both deserve to be in great cars and win races, great drivers at their age.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I don't think this is particularly fair, as I was just calling someone out for posting something contrary to the truth. However, mod has spoken, I'll drop it.
I really don't care who-said-what; this stuff just keeps going and going with lots of posters. If we would all stop assuming posts are written because of whatever fandom and engage with contents earnestly (or ignore stuff we think is stupid), this thread would gain enormously.

I'm not a mod btw, just a lowly scout. :) But @Jippy has also been commenting on this stuff.

The Hilton

I really don't care who-said-what; this stuff just keeps going and going with lots of posters. If we would all stop assuming posts are written because of whatever fandom and engage with contents earnestly (or ignore stuff we think is stupid), this thread would gain enormously.

I'm not a mod btw, just a lowly scout. :) But @Jippy has also been commenting on this stuff.
Well mod or not its a good shout anyway, that poster in question is regularly called out for his zealotry around Verstappen, and I should have continued ignoring it. Its just difficult to wade through the anti Hamilton vitriol to get to the discussion in this thread sometimes.

dinostar77

Gonna say it now, if somehow Mercedes and Lewis cockup tomorrow and Max finishes ahead of Lewis the championship is done.

Let's face it most of us already think it is and that max will win the next three races (all tracks that favour the RB) and be out of sight. That RB with a good driver is the class of the field this year.

Would set up a potential incredible season next year though. If the pecking order changes. Alonso dreaming of title no3, Seb wanting title no5. Lewis wanting title no8. Max defending his title and hoping for no2. Lando, Leclerc, Russell etc all hoping it will be their first title....

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
As much as I think the RB is the faster car, and as much as I think Lewis is the better driver since he’s been there done it and won it for so long, I’d be wrong if I didn’t say that Max has actually been great this year. He’s been consistent and relentless, and has not made the mistakes that Lewis unusually has this year. Max has a long way still to be put in that tier of driver that some already put him in, but he has the talent and tools to reach it. He’s got a bit to learn too but perhaps that maturity will come once he has a title. I still think this race isn’t done and it’ll be close, but Lewis will need to show some of his best racing and consistency to win it this time around. And mistakes like today whatever the circumstance will cost him.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

Amen. Can’t say I haven’t engaged in my fair of bickertry but at this point I’m all for it ending. The NFL thread is a wonderful thread despite differing views and allegiances. If this thread could get to that level of quality, it’d be a huge joy as I think this thread does have knowledgable and good posters when you take the nonsense away.

dinostar77

As much as I think the RB is the faster car, and as much as I think Lewis is the better driver since he’s been there done it and won it for so long, I’d be wrong if I didn’t say that Max has actually been great this year. He’s been consistent and relentless, and has not made the mistakes that Lewis unusually has this year. Max has a long way still to be put in that tier of driver that some already put him in, but he has the talent and tools to reach it. He’s got a bit to learn too but perhaps that maturity will come once he has a title. I still think this race isn’t done and it’ll be close, but Lewis will need to show some of his best racing and consistency to win it this time around. And mistakes like today whatever the circumstance will cost him.
Max would be making similar mistakes in the Mercedes if roles were swapped. The RB is the class of the field. Lewis is pushing like crazy to keep up with max in that RB. That's evident from the races where max and lewis disappear away from bottas.

Max can be smoother and calmer as he has the better car. Same for lewis last season when he didnt make any mistakes as last years Mercedes was the best car of the field.

What makes this season such an anomaly is that Mercedes arent pushing this years car anywhere near to the extent that lewis would probably like. Normally the development battle would carry on in a championship like this till the last race or two of the season. This year Mercedes stopped all the wind tunnel work back in april. As wind tunnel time is now limited, Mercedes using their allocation since April on next years car.

My hunch is that RB are going more all out than Mercedes to get Max the WDC. This isnt altruistic. They need to get Max a title soon otherwise he will be off to Ferrari or Mercedes in a season or two. Show him he can win titles at RB and better chance of keeping him for longer. Personally I think he will be at Ferrari at somepoint within the next 3-5 years.

Last edited:

Fluctuation0161

I'm just going to say it, I reckon age is finally creeping up on Hamilton.
I think it's more likely long covid to be honest. Especially after his near collapse on the podium a few weeks ago. That's not the behaviour of a 30-something year old but it is a sympton of long covid.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Amen. Can’t say I haven’t engaged in my fair of bickertry but at this point I’m all for it ending. The NFL thread is a wonderful thread despite differing views and allegiances. If this thread could get to that level of quality, it’d be a huge joy as I think this thread does have knowledgable and good posters when you take the nonsense away.
Absolutely. The last thing most of us want is what has been a really good thread descending into Messi v Ronaldo style nonsense.
Let's see how it goes tomorrow, but we need to stop the insults, trolling and baiting.

dinostar77

I think it's more likely long covid to be honest. Especially after his near collapse on the podium a few weeks ago. That's not the behaviour of a 30-something year old but it is a sympton of long covid.
Dont forget that 14 days ago there was a tyre of a f1 car on his head.

dinostar77

I honestly think if he can somehow beat Max to title number 8 with 100 wins i think he might retire. I know he signed a multi year deal but still.
I thought this, but hes a racer, he will want to see what next years car is like. Especially if overtaking is easier and therefore racing is more fun.

Besides if there was any indication of this at all they wouldnt have let bottas leave.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
My hunch is that RB are going more all out than Mercedes to get Max the WDC. This isnt altruistic. They need to get Max a title soon otherwise he will be off to Ferrari or Mercedes in a season or two. Show him he can win titles at RB and better chance of keeping him for longer. Personally I think he will be at Ferrari at somepoint within the next 3-5 years.
It also just makes sense to me that they would do everything to try and get the title that's within reach. No matter how hard anyone works on next year's car, with all the changes, you can never be sure how things will work out. But for this year, RB have a great chance of Verstappen winning the season. Mercedes can better afford thinking long term, as they've been winning a lot anyway.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
watching the f1 and united at the same time was a weird confliction of feelings.

As a Mclaren fan though i’m absolutely buzzing. Lando has taken huge steps this year and people are finally sitting up and taking notice of just how good he is.

I really hope Mclaren can continue pushing and give him a car capable of genuinely challenging regularly next year!

Pole at Russia is risky business, he could get drafted and end up 3rd by the first corner! I hope he can get a good start and even if he comes out 2nd he’s got a decent chance, but keeping hamilton at bay isn’t going to be easy.

Jack-C20

watching the f1 and united at the same time was a weird confliction of feelings.

As a Mclaren fan though i’m absolutely buzzing. Lando has taken huge steps this year and people are finally sitting up and taking notice of just how good he is.

I really hope Mclaren can continue pushing and give him a car capable of genuinely challenging regularly next year!

Pole at Russia is risky business, he could get drafted and end up 3rd by the first corner! I hope he can get a good start and even if he comes out 2nd he’s got a decent chance, but keeping hamilton at bay isn’t going to be easy.
I was also watching football with half an eye on the qualifying and after the football I completely forgot about the F1.

Really excited about the race now. Really happy for Lando and George again making the most of any opportunity he can. Feels like Lewis has had a few rough starts recently so he’ll need to be on it tomorrow.

Also didn’t realise LeClerc was 19th. Him and Max fighting through the field should be interesting.

pauldyson1uk

Max would be making similar mistakes in the Mercedes if roles were swapped. The RB is the class of the field. Lewis is pushing like crazy to keep up with max in that RB. That's evident from the races where max and lewis disappear away from bottas.

Max can be smoother and calmer as he has the better car. Same for lewis last season when he didnt make any mistakes as last years Mercedes was the best car of the field.

What makes this season such an anomaly is that Mercedes arent pushing this years car anywhere near to the extent that lewis would probably like. Normally the development battle would carry on in a championship like this till the last race or two of the season. This year Mercedes stopped all the wind tunnel work back in april. As wind tunnel time is now limited, Mercedes using their allocation since April on next years car.

I think you have nailed it here, RB need to get Max that first WC win.
He is itching for it, this year I think he will get it.
I have said a few times that I think Mercedes have , not given up on the season, you dont give up with the 7 time WC driving, but like you say not pushing.
Merc strategy has been very suspect at times so far this season and normally they get it right, t.ake yesterday and going on to slicks, Lewis was in no danger, he should have come in earlier, hitting the wall did not help
The rules changes brought in did not help, Mercedes knew that the RB would be faster this season.

Jack-C20

1 pm and family commitments means I cant watch much, I may get the last few laps in.
Families are selfish buggers aren’t they? Don’t they know there’s sport to watch all weekend :D

It’s always a tough choice when that happens as to whether I watch what I can or do a media blackout and watch it later when it’s repeated. In the past I’ve often gone for the channel 4 highlights as it’s sometimes nice to watch the race when it’s been compressed down a bit.

WPMUFC

Valtteri Bottas is taking a grid penalty for the Formula 1 Russian GP after changing some Mercedes power unit elements overnight.

The team expects that the Finn, who originally qualified seventh, will start from 17th place – which will put him three spots ahead of Lewis Hamilton's title rival Max Verstappen.

The strategic move gives Mercedes the opportunity to potentially compromise Verstappen’s attempt to charge through the field after the Dutchman took a complete set of new Honda power unit elements for FP2 on Friday.

Bottas also took a new power unit at the last race in Monza, and the second change gives him extra elements with which to reach the end of the season.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/bottas-russian-gp-grid-penalty-engine-change/6674900/amp/

Valtteri, this is James......Please change your PU for Lewis. :lol:

Wonder if Russell is in for this kind of treatment.

Last edited:

Leg-End

Bottas is racing for nothing anyway, it’s logical and Red Bull would do the same.