F1 2021 Season

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
What a race! Fantastic. Mercedes need to get their act together on pit stops because even when they go well they are losing a second a time over Red Bull.

dinostar77

Unbelievable end to the GP. What a race. 3 weeks for Mercedes to try to make some improvements. The loss of rear downforce has really affected Mercedes and the green Mercedes (aston martin).

Luke1995

I'm not ruling out Perez putting on a fight for the title. His drive today was absolutely stunning.

He also seems like a better and more mature driver than when he had his big chance with Mclaren back in the day.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Maybe so, but Lewis can perform under pressure like no one else. The man goes up levels when he needs it, Max today folded under pressure for me. But that's an important skill, pulling it when needed is what makes Lewis special.

Max had every advantage today, when it came down to it, Lewis out-raced him.
I agree Lewis is fecking fantastic. Not by far better though. They are really really close which is great.

The whole track limit thing was weird. I don’t understand how there can be so much confusion about such a rule.

Lewis Hamilton. What a driver. Pure talent like that, that’s why we all like sport at the end of the day.

diarm

Surely Tsunada should've been in the conversation for Driver of the Day?

9th on debut with only 2 cars not finishing is serious going. He was picking off former world champions for shits and giggles for a while there in the 3rd quarter of the race and then managed to hunt down and take Stroll in a proper battle over the last 10 laps.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I know it’s done before the end, but how salty are most F1 fans for not even voting Hamilton in top 3 drivers of the day.
Fangio, Clark, Senna and Schumacher would get the same kind of treatment from the internet era fans. Some folks refuse to realise Lewis's all time talent.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Overlook what you like, Red Bull is faster in clear air and if that gap doesn’t close then we won’t see races like we did today.
Red Bull are quite often faster in clean air.
But it is about what you can do when close behind, in turbulent air.
I am delighted to see the prospect of some genuine racing.
And by the looks of it, so is Hamilton.

Eendracht maakt macht

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Supports
PSV Eindhoven
Surely Tsunada should've been in the conversation for Driver of the Day?

9th on debut with only 2 cars not finishing is serious going. He was picking off former world champions for shits and giggles for a while there in the 3rd quarter of the race and then managed to hunt down and take Stroll in a proper battle over the last 10 laps.
It can only be Hamilton really but he did great!

Race 1 Bahrain Grand Prix Result

pauldyson1uk

1Lewis HamiltonHAMMercedes1:34.0151:32:03.897
2Max VerstappenVERRed Bull1:33.2280.745 behind
3Valtteri BottasBOTMercedes
fastest overall lap 1:32.090
37.383 behind
4Lando NorrisNORMcLaren1:34.39646.466 behind
5Sergio PerezPERRed Bull1:33.97052.047 behind
6Charles LeclercLECFerrari1:34.98859.090 behind
7Daniel RicciardoRICMcLaren1:34.9321:06.004 behind
8Carlos Sainz JnrSAIFerrari1:34.5091:07.100 behind
9Yuki TsunodaTSUAlphaTauri1:34.7611:25.692 behind
10Lance StrollSTRAston Martin1:34.8651:26.713 behind
11Kimi RaikkonenRAIAlfa Romeo1:35.1921:28.864 behind
12Antonio GiovinazziGIOAlfa Romeo1:35.1211 lap behind
13Esteban OconOCOAlpine1:35.2501 lap behind
14George RussellRUSWilliams1:35.0361 lap behind
15Sebastian VettelVETAston Martin1:35.5661 lap behind
16Mick SchumacherMSCHaas1:36.134
1 lap behind+1 lap
17Pierre GaslyGASAlphaTauri1:34.090no time-
18Nicholas LatifiLATWilliams1:36.602no time-
not classifiedFernando AlonsoALOAlpine1:36.063did not finish completed 32 laps
not classifiedNikita MazepinMAZHaasnot available-did not finish completed 0 laps

Leg-End

I guess you don't rate Lewis Hamilton as highly as me.
I think you are incorrect, I’ve been the biggest Hamilton fan on here since he started in the sport. I think you may have misinterpreted what I said originally.

United Hobbit

Why didn't they properly do the champagne? They all just sort of stood there til Hamilton did a bit

keithsingleton

Hammy not the GOAT for nothing, youll still get the doubters though. Red Bull the fastest car today but as is the norm with Verstappen he gets too aggressive which has always been his only downfall. Could be in for a right season if today is anything to go by. However, I'm pretty sure the Mercs will improve a little more than Red Bull.

Great result for F1 fans as a whole though. Roll it on No2.

diarm

It can only be Hamilton really but he did great!
Ah yeah, one of Hamilton's best drives in a long, long time.

I just felt as I was posting that that Sky hadn't given him even a mention. But then they brought him on and gave him a big talk up around 30 seconds later!

Leg-End

What 20s mistake did Verstappen or Red Bull make?
They got undercut and then stayed out longer and ended up behind, they would be the first to tell you they didn’t maximise strategy today. If Max has a clear air race then he takes that win comfortably.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
They got undercut and then stayed out longer and ended up behind, they would be the first to tell you they didn’t maximise strategy today. If Max has a clear air race then he takes that win comfortably.
Yep I couldn’t understand this, by leaving him out longer they let hamilton earn a 7 second gap which is very difficult to make back up.

if they pitted like they expected they would have come out neck and neck and could have fought on track then, or undercut again later in the race.

it’s fair to say red bull bottled this one.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
People talking shit about footballers having lives and interests outside of football need to look at Lando Norris. He’s been everywhere in the off season doing twitch stuff and launching his own gamer collective and it hasn’t hampered him one bit. Brilliant performance from him today.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
I think you are incorrect, I’ve been the biggest Hamilton fan on here since he started in the sport. I think you may have misinterpreted what I said originally.
I think I see what you're getting at and to be fair I didn't consider the strategies employed in my assessment of the race. Lewis would definitely need a better car if today's strategy hurt Max as much as you say it did.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yep I couldn’t understand this, by leaving him out longer they let hamilton earn a 7 second gap which is very difficult to make back up.

if they pitted like they expected they would have come out neck and neck and could have fought on track then, or undercut again later in the race.

it’s fair to say red bull bottled this one
Or they just got caught out by Mercedes' tactics and called it wrong.

Adam-Utd

Or they just got caught out by Mercedes' tactics and called it wrong.
Nah definitely bottled it. Max had the faster car with fresh tyres on a circuit you can overtake on and he couldn't get it done.

Nobody expected Hamilton to hang on for those last few laps.

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Nah definitely bottled it. Max had the faster car with fresh tyres on a circuit you can overtake on and he couldn't get it done.

Nobody expected Hamilton to hang on for those last few laps.
And yet he did. That's the point. Despite everyone thinking he wouldn't do it, he pulled it out. They fecked up leaving him out, and then Hamilton out raced him at the end.

ArjenIsM3

I know it’s done before the end, but how salty are most F1 fans for not even voting Hamilton in top 3 drivers of the day.
There's loads of reasons I can think of, but you English lot would rather think the rest of the world is "salty" :lol:

Adam-Utd

And yet he did. That's the point. Despite everyone thinking he wouldn't do it, he pulled it out. They fecked up leaving him out, and then Hamilton out raced him at the end.
Yes which is the point, they should have just stuck with the original plan and beat him on track. Instead they tried to stretch it more laps and ended up going 7 seconds behind a car it was faster than.

Hamilton was clearly struggling on his tyres and they could have pushed him into an error or undercut him. It was very poor.

People moan about Mercedes always winning with the fastest car, well this time they didn't and still won.

ArjenIsM3

Yes which is the point, they should have just stuck with the original plan and beat him on track. Instead they tried to stretch it more laps and ended up going 7 seconds behind a car it was faster than.

Hamilton was clearly struggling on his tyres and they could have pushed him into an error or undercut him. It was very poor.

People moan about Mercedes always winning with the fastest car, well this time they didn't and still won.
Yeah, Red Bull tactics were no good. That, combined with the problem with the back end of Verstappen's car and Mercedes being allowed to ignore track limits in corner four for at least 32 laps (at 0.2 seconds gained per lap) put Lewis in the driving seat. I think Lewis did a fine job today but it wasn't this mega race from him a lot of people on here are claiming it to be. For me what stood out was Red Bull"s reliability issues with Perez' car going completely dead on the formation lap and Verstappen having issues with the rear. Another thing that stood out for me was how bad Vettel was. Again. When you see him now it's very hard to believe he's a 4 time world champion. That crash was a rookie mistake. Also, Perez and Norris were very good. Looking forward to seeing how they do the rest of the season.

Dan_F

There's loads of reasons I can think of, but you English lot would rather think the rest of the world is "salty" :lol:
Not really. I’d just assume that most F1 fans would be able to see past their bias to actually vote for the best driver of the race.

Adam-Utd

Yeah, Red Bull tactics were no good. That, combined with the problem with the back end of Verstappen's car and Mercedes being allowed to ignore track limits in corner four for at least 32 laps (at 0.2 seconds gained per lap) put Lewis in the driving seat. I think Lewis did a fine job today but it wasn't this mega race from him a lot of people on here are claiming it to be. For me what stood out was Red Bull"s reliability issues with Perez' car going completely dead on the formation lap and Verstappen having issues with the rear. Another thing that stood out for me was how bad Vettel was. Again. When you see him now it's very hard to believe he's a 4 time world champion. That crash was a rookie mistake. Also, Perez and Norris were very good. Looking forward to seeing how they do the rest of the season.
Cmon man everybody was going wide at turn 4, please don't use that as an excuse.

I do think it was just a combination of worrying about Bottas which they shouldn't have - and perhaps expecting to just rock up and pass Hamilton easily (which you would have expected) but the Mercedes engine is still clearly more powerful than Honda.

Yes Vettel looked way passed it at Ferrari, I was absolutely shocked AM were kicking out Perez and signing him!

While I think he was perhaps used unfairly/incorrectly in trying to stretch his tyres long, that move on Ocon was just ludicrously bad, no idea what he was thinking. He obviously doesn't deal with pressure well unfortunately and is prone to errors. I don't think he'll last there long.