F1 2021 Season

Dudu

Correct decisions. On both counts

(Spare a thought for poor Seb though :wenger:)

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
So he starts sprint race from the back? Which means he will start the actual race near the back too - as he will not be able to make it up too far the grid, and then get his penalty. That’s the title I think. A shame, but if the rules were broken they were broken.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I do wonder whether this was 1 last hail mary from Mercedes. The silly thing is they seemed genuinely quick here, why would they need to cheat on a track they're doing well at?

Meh. It's max's title now. What an anti climax that is.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
I do wonder whether this was 1 last hail mary from Mercedes. The silly thing is they seemed genuinely quick here, why would they need to cheat on a track they're doing well at?

Honestly don't believe they tried to cheat, just doesn't make any sense for the reasons you mention.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

I hope it wasn’t intentional. But I think there is still a lot of facts to come out of this.

What is interesting is Max must have either had an inkling, been told something, or it was just that obvious something was wrong, given he was looking at it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So he starts sprint race from the back? Which means he will start the actual race near the back too - as he will not be able to make it up too far the grid, and then get his penalty. That’s the title I think. A shame, but if the rules were broken they were broken.
Will be fun to see how high he can climb through the race

Unlikely to be able to mount a challenge unless there is some rain and he just happens to get lucky with pit stop timings / strategy

It was probabky 90% maxs title before this... its now 99.9%... well deserved and hopefully the battle will continue next season between red bull and merc (or perhaps with the new regs somebody else can get in the mix with a brawn / double diffuser type of innovation)

The Hilton

Interesting that the stewards agreed it was an unintentional fault but still disqualified Lewis.

Also nice to see that Lewis wasn't trying to make a big deal out of Max's handsy investigation.

It's just a shame with the timing, Lewis had a slim (very slim) chance in the title fight before, but it's done and dusted now.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
Not great for Mercedes, but with the way this season has played out so far you get a feeling it's not really 100% over for them yet. Many strange things can still happen.

massi83

Lewis has around 7% chance of winning, around 35% chance of podium and Max has around 20% chance of not finishing. Nothing is over.

Rooney1987

The fine is confusing considering so many drivers do it. I guess they wanted to show they're punishing Max for something.

Shame so little time is left I bet Merc would have to change more engine parts or the whole thing.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The fine is confusing considering so many drivers do it. I guess they wanted to show they're punishing Max for something.

Shame so little time is left I bet Merc would have to change more engine parts or the whole thing.
Think they were really clear about the fine and also clear that now its 100% established drivers shouldn't do it they can potentially expect bigger punishments in future

“It is clear to the Stewards that it has become a habit of the drivers to touch cars after qualifying and the races. This was also the explanation of Verstappen, that it was simply habit to touch this area of the car which has been a point of speculation in recent races between both teams

“This general tendency has been seen as mostly harmless and so has not been uniformly policed. Nevertheless, it is a breach of the parc fermé regulation and has significant potential to cause harm.

“The stewards considering the fact that no direct harm was caused in this case, in the opinion of the stewards, and that no earlier precedent of penalties for this exists – on the one hand;
but that it is a breach of the regulation and has potential for serious consequences on the other, the stewards determine to take action in this case and order a fine of €50,000.

“The stewards further note that it is intended that all teams and drivers take notice that future breaches may incur different penalties from the stewards of those events.”

Leg-End

The shame is we likely won’t see it come down to the last couple of races, which always brings excitement just because anything can happen.

Sprint race is bollocks but this kind of weekend is the worst one to be going from the back, he’s going to drop 3 points before they even start the race.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
So Lewis starts at the back for the sprint. If he gains say 5 places in the sprint he goes back to the back of the grid for the 5 place penalty? What a nightmare :lol:. Can he take any new parts now for "free"?

Leg-End

So Lewis starts at the back for the sprint. If he gains say 5 places in the sprint he goes back to the back of the grid for the 5 place penalty? What a nightmare :lol:. Can he take any new parts now for "free"?
Double whammy isn’t it.

He can’t take another ICE but he could in theory take another set of all the other elements I think.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
So just to understand that correctly, if this was a normal race with no sprint qualifying, his penalty for changing the engine would be void due to his DQ in qualifying?

ChaddyP

His far is so fast I can legitimately see him finishing top 10 . Do think mercedes should consider putting on new parts after the sprint is over though depending on where he ends up

Jerch

Just as a serious question, does anybody still buy into Hamilton’s Senna bullshit? Bloke was 9 when Senna died. He wouldn’t be able to remember a pinch of shit about Senna the racer except what others told him. It’s like expecting me to talk about Cantona as a great player and a god… I understand he may have been a great player but it’s incredibly difficult for me to associate my passion of United with him.

He put something up today about senna and the difficulties he faced… senna was son of a wealthy Brazilian family… he has very little obstacles in his way..
I was 8 when Juve were playing United in semi-finals in 1999 and I still remember nearly crying when we were losing in the second leg and my parents wanted to go visit my grandparents cuz of some urgent situation and when we came there and I turned on TV i saw United is winning and was overwhelmed eith happiness.

So not entirely impossible.

Edit: thinking about more better example since it's from F1 is Shumi and Villeneuve battle and the incident in the last year in 97 when i was 6 year old. I remember it clearly like it happened yesterday.

Last edited:

F-Red

Title over I think barring a DNF for Verstappen. It’ll be interesting to see if Merc roll the dice and turn up the engines to max.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Title over I think barring a DNF for Verstappen. It’ll be interesting to see if Merc roll the dice and turn up the engines to max.
Yes. Feels very much like that to me as well.
Too many things stacking up on Hamilton. But we all know that he will push right to the end.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

There is no suggestion at all that Mercedes have cheated. The statement from the FIA clearly states that they believe that there has been some kind of problem.
And the rear wing has been physically checked a number of times before.

hobbers

Hamilton will breeze up the field today. And even if he's starting at the back tomorrow, he'll still finish on the podium.

With that new engine he's got the fastest car on the grid by a mile.

Adam-Utd

There is no suggestion at all that Mercedes have cheated. The statement from the FIA clearly states that they believe that there has been some kind of problem.
And the rear wing has been physically checked a number of times before.
something doesn’t add up, ive never heard of a mechanical failure that allows it to open up more than normal.

unless it’s a very freak and unique situation id say they either messed up and it broke, or it didn’t get tested properly in the first place

Adam-Utd

So its damn near impossible to overtake at Interlagos, right? Or ís that an exagguration?
first corner is the only real area to be honest but it’s not impossible around here, maybe the first DRS zone also if you get a good exit from the first chicane.