F1 2021 Season

pauldyson1uk

Are you genuinely illiterate? I'm talking only about this race.

The blinkered fangirling of Hamilton here is cringeworthy. I've been a Hamilton fan for a long time but he didn't deserve a point here. It's not debateable.
dear oh dear you sound like one of the bitter haters on all the F1 pages, one mistake, yellow and red flag OK lucky with that, but a difficult track to overtake and he did it 8 times.
He does not make the rules, nobody is pull stings as you say.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I think everyone agrees Hamilton was incredibly lucky today (the debate is upon to whether he deserved points or not..)

But what could be an alternative in the rules to limit this kind of luck in the future? There is not much that can be done is there? Not something I can think of at least...

keithsingleton

Are you genuinely illiterate? I'm talking only about this race.

The blinkered fangirling of Hamilton here is cringeworthy. I've been a Hamilton fan for a long time but he didn't deserve a point here. It's not debateable.
You keep talking out of your Arse. He deserved it IN THIS RACE

hobbers

dear oh dear you sound like one of the bitter haters on all the F1 pages, one mistake, yellow and red flag OK lucky with that, but a difficult track to overtake and he did it 8 times.
He does not make the rules, nobody is pull stings as you say.
So that joke went totally over your head, okay.

Lewis raced an entire lap less than Leclerc and Norris and the rest of the top 10. It's an incredible amount of luck that there was a red flag incident immediately after he spent a full minute churning up the gravel. That's all there is to say about it. Bit gutting for Leclerc and Norris because they're the future of F1 and they deserved 2nd and 3rd.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So that joke went totally over your head, okay.

Lewis raced an entire lap less than Leclerc and Norris and the rest of the top 10. It's an incredible amount of luck that there was a red card incident immediately after he spent a full minute churning up the gravel. That's all there is to say about it. Bit gutting for Leclerc and Norris because they're the future of F1 and they deserved 2nd and 3rd.
boo fecking hoo. Suck it up.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I think everyone agrees Hamilton was incredibly lucky today (the debate is upon to whether he deserved points or not..)

But what could be an alternative in the rules to limit this kind of luck in the future? There is not much that can be done is there? Not something I can think of at least...
Not everyone.
I don't think he was lucky at all.
He did what he had to do and despite being a 7 times WC, Hamilton doesn't make the rules. He wasn't the only one who was allowed to be unlapped. But he did take full advantage by overtaking so many drivers.

Emilia-Romagna GP Result

pauldyson1uk

RankDriverNumberTeamFastest Lap TimeRace TimePTS
1Max VerstappenVER33Red Bull1:17.5242:02:34.598 25
2Lewis HamiltonHAM44Mercedesfastest overall lap 1:16.70222.000 behind18
3Lando NorrisNOR4McLaren1:18.25923.702 behind15
4Charles LeclercLEC16Ferrari1:18.37925.579 behind12
5Carlos Sainz JnrSAI55Ferrari1:18.49027.036 behind10
6Daniel RicciardoRIC3McLaren1:19.34151.220 behind8
7Lance StrollSTR18Aston Martin1:18.99451.909 behind6
8Pierre GaslyGAS10AlphaTauri1:18.78252.818 behind4
9Kimi RaikkonenRAI7Alfa Romeo1:19.4221:04.773 behind+1:04.7732
10Esteban OconOCO31Alpine1:19.4171:05.704 behind+1:05.7041
11Fernando AlonsoALO14Alpine1:19.3961:06.561 behind+1:06.56100
12Sergio PerezPER11Red Bull1:18.3341:07.151 behind+1:07.15100
13Yuki TsunodaTSU22AlphaTauri1:18.3531:13.184 behind+1:13.18400
14Antonio GiovinazziGIO99Alfa Romeo1:19.4701 lap behind00
16Mick SchumacherMSC47Haas1:19.1932 laps behind00
17Nikita MazepinMAZ9Haas1:20.4022 laps behind00
not classifiedSebastian VettelVET5Aston Martin1:19.074did not finish completed 62 laps00
not classifiedGeorge RussellRUS63Williamsdid not finish completed 31 laps00
not classifiedValtteri BottasBOT77Mercedesdid not finish completed 31 laps00
not classifiedNicholas LatifiLAT6Williamsdid not finish completed 1 lap00

Last edited:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Any external factor on which you have zero personal/team influence but that dóes have significant effect on your performance can be considered (bad) luck..

So the (timing of the) Bottas/Russel crash was incredibly lucky for Hamilton to make up for a whole lap wihout any effort...

Im not saying he therefore didnt deserve the point, as its all part of the sports what happened today and it happend to a lot of other today and in the past as well.. And all credits for Hamilton that he has the mentality and skills to convert that luck into a second place, because that is obviously pure class..

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Verstappen has probably the most punchable face in the world. Just can’t stand him.

keithsingleton

Not everyone.
He did what he had to do and despite being a 7 times WC, Hamilton doesn't make the rules. He wasn't the only one who was allowed to be unlapped. But he did take full advantage by overtaking so many drivers.
It's a standard rule so nothing new. Many many drivers been in the same postion yet nothing said, it's only because it's Hammy.

LoneStar

They need to restart in the lap every driver was in maybe? I know you can never get it a 100% right, but that's much closer than the current rules at least.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Haven’t really watched F1 in years, I was a kid the last time I had a proper interest in it, but the Netflix doc has brought me back to having a passing interest. Bahrain was the first Grand Prix I’ve watched in full in probably 20 years, so I’m very much an outsider with no vested interest.

As that outsider, looking at what happened today, I can’t help but think the protocol after the red flag today seemed very unfair on some drivers while being hugely beneficial to others. Lewis Hamilton being the most high profile of those.

I don’t know how else they could restart the race other than a grid start, which wouldn’t be any different. But in terms of points at the end of the year, to me it seems like Hamilton picked up several, that he wouldn’t have picked up without the red flag.

I’m sure there are loads of examples of this year in/ year out and you’d expect that this type of luck might benefit you one week while hurting you another, but it certainly surprised me today with how much a crash between two drivers can benefit others so much.

LoneStar

Great race all things considered, comfortable win for Max in the end. Norris was amazing, wish he had held onto 2nd somehow but great to see him with a podium finish. And lucky as he was, that was great from Lewis, was overtaking people so easily.

Red Bull just can't seem to capitalise on their rivals collapsing (as a team), Bottas retires from the race, but both the second drivers ending up with 0 points. McLaren Vs Ferrari is much closer than expected and should be exciting!

Fluctuation0161

Not everyone.
Totally agree.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Good race.

Imola must be an amazing track to drive but unfortunately the only overtaking spot is into Tamburello with DRS. Would be much improved if they took out the second chicane before Tosa so people could have a go into the hairpin.

Lewis did fantastic to recover after his mistake, Max nailed the start and was imperious from then on, Lando great for P3 and making Danny Ric look ordinary which is a shame in a way cause I like Ric but I’ll definitely root for a young Brit.

Who was at fault in Bottas vs Russell? Hard to tell.

MTF

Guys, fecking c'mon. We all know the rules as far as safety cars and red flags, unlapping + less costly pit stops, and those are fine as they are. But as a result drivers can be lucky or unlucky with the timing of those.

Today Hamilton was the 2nd fastest if not potentially the fastest driver on the grid. It's especially notable because his teammate has been back in 8th or worse all day, struggling to do anything. So obviously it's Hamilton once again doing Hamilton things. He's the best to ever race.

But of course he was lucky with the timing of the Bottas-Russell crash. He had made a mistake overtaking back-markers and was going to be a full lap down on the leaders. If the crash doesn't happen he probably doesn't finish in the points, much less in 2nd. He needs to be the fastest driver out there to climb back from 9th to 2nd, but essentially we already knew that. He also needed the crash and red flag to get the result he did.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Haven’t really watched F1 in years, I was a kid the last time I had a proper interest in it, but the Netflix doc has brought me back to having a passing interest. Bahrain was the first Grand Prix I’ve watched in full in probably 20 years, so I’m very much an outsider with no vested interest.

As that outsider, looking at what happened today, I can’t help but think the protocol after the red flag today seemed very unfair on some drivers while being hugely beneficial to others. Lewis Hamilton being the most high profile of those.

I don’t know how else they could restart the race other than a grid start, which wouldn’t be any different. But in terms of points at the end of the year, to me it seems like Hamilton picked up several, that he wouldn’t have picked up without the red flag.

I’m sure there are loads of examples of this year in/ year out and you’d expect that this type of luck might benefit you one week while hurting you another, but it certainly surprised me today with how much a crash between two drivers can benefit others so much.
it’s lucky sure, but he won’t be the first or last person to get lucky on a red flag. gasly won the monza GP last year because of it, Perez won bahrain.

they purposely allow lapped cars to get back into the race, hamilton was just lucky the accident happened so fast after his own off. that meant he was still only 9th as you take your position from when the red flag is waved.

Balljy

There's a valid reason why they allow drivers to unlap themselves if there is a red flag. If they didn't the restart would be a bunch of cars close together all out of position with some lapped and some not and the rules to let through drivers would be meaningless for the first few laps. It's probably considered dangerous / unfair in itself as the lapped drivers would have no idea who should be let through for the first few laps whilst fighting for position.

The rule has been there forever and I haven't even seen it mentioned as an issue before today. I'm not sure how they could handle it differently other than by trying to keep the time differences between cars on a restart by letting them go one at a time from the pit lane.

Wicked_Badger

Very entertaining race. Tricky conditions, nearly everyone made a mistake at some point!

Absolutely chuffed for McLaren & Norris. He’s bloody quick!

Hamilton extremely fortunate to benefit from red flag, but you win some you lose some.

Max was pretty imperious today, awesome start.

Did anyone notice the weird Perez steering wheel swap seemingly during his penalty? Why was that allowed? I know it makes no difference given how the race panned out, but I thought there was no work allowed on the car whilst serving the penalty?

Balljy

Very entertaining race. Tricky conditions, nearly everyone made a mistake at some point!

Absolutely chuffed for McLaren & Norris. He’s bloody quick!

Hamilton extremely fortunate to benefit from red flag, but you win some you lose some.

Max was pretty imperious today, awesome start.

Did anyone notice the weird Perez steering wheel swap seemingly during his penalty? Why was that allowed? I know it makes no difference given how the race panned out, but I thought there was no work allowed on the car whilst serving the penalty?
I think they swapped the steering wheel after the 10 seconds were up and then moved onto the tyres. Perez definitely held it up before the 10 seconds but I guess that's a grey area as it's not not "team working on the car".

Wicked_Badger

I think they swapped the steering wheel after the 10 seconds were up and then moved onto the tyres. Perez definitely held it up before the 10 seconds but I guess that's a grey area as it's not not "team working on the car".
Yeah, I wondered if it was just after the 10 secs and the tyres were a little slow or the other way around.

Doesn’t really matter obviously, but these things are usually looked at!

stu_1992

It's all happening after the race. Kimi demoted from 9th to 15th. Stroll demoted from 7th to 8th. That newcomer Alonso picks up his first point. I think this guy has something about him. :)

Oh and Bottas/Russell ruled a racing incident.

Adam-Utd

Yep, team isn't allowed to work on the car but doesn't mean Perez can't take his wheel off by himself.

Norris was the only one of the top 5 who didn't make a mistake in either the race or the warm up laps. He's really at home in the Mclaren this year, delighted for him.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Being lucky in motorsport is not really about the rules themselves, it's more the timing of whatever happens that's lucky or unlucky.

The irony is that we had a very similar conversation last season (also at Monza IIRC) when they called a VSC the second Lewis rolled into the pits for his stop and he ended up being the only driver to benefit from it. That was also lucky, but luck is obviosuly not the reason why Lewis has a gazillion wins to his name.

pauldyson1uk

Guys, fecking c'mon. We all know the rules as far as safety cars and red flags, unlapping + less costly pit stops, and those are fine as they are. But as a result drivers can be lucky or unlucky with the timing of those.

Today Hamilton was the 2nd fastest if not potentially the fastest driver on the grid. It's especially notable because his teammate has been back in 8th or worse all day, struggling to do anything. So obviously it's Hamilton once again doing Hamilton things. He's the best to ever race.

But of course he was lucky with the timing of the Bottas-Russell crash. He had made a mistake overtaking back-markers and was going to be a full lap down on the leaders. If the crash doesn't happen he probably doesn't finish in the points, much less in 2nd. He needs to be the fastest driver out there to climb back from 9th to 2nd, but essentially we already knew that. He also needed the crash and red flag to get the result he did.
Nice post and sums it up.
Lewis made a huge mistake and without the red flag, he would have maybe finished in the points but not on the podium.
The red flag rules have been around for decades, many drivers have gained from them.
But 9th to 2nd on a track they is not easy to pass on, was very good , agree with the rules or not.

Dan_F

I’m not sure why there’s so much moaning about the restart. It’s just an extreme version of what happens every race with the safety car. Not only do lapped drivers get to unlap themselves (would have happened if the race wasn’t red flagged yesterday), but any lead is essentially wiped out and the pack closed. Not to mention the advantage this brings if you get lucky with pit stop timing.

dinostar77

So has been every F1 drive who has lucked into safety cars, red flags etc, vettel has won a championship off the back of luck. It was a fantastic drive by hamilton to comeback to 2nd.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
So has been every F1 drive who has lucked into safety cars, red flags etc, vettel has won a championship off the back of luck. It was a fantastic drive by hamilton to comeback to 2nd.
So me saying he had a bit of luck (which is indisputable I think), is in now way saying he didnt deserve it or discrediting his performance, as I state below...

But what I dó think is that in every sport you should try to minimize the impact of luck on result..

Any external factor on which you have zero personal/team influence but that dóes have significant effect on your performance can be considered (bad) luck..

So the (timing of the) Bottas/Russel crash was incredibly lucky for Hamilton to make up for a whole lap wihout any effort...

Im not saying he therefore didnt deserve the point, as its all part of the sports what happened today and it happend to a lot of other today and in the past as well.. And all credits for Hamilton that he has the mentality and skills to convert that luck into a second place, because that is obviously pure class..

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I’m not sure why there’s so much moaning about the restart. It’s just an extreme version of what happens every race with the safety car. Not only do lapped drivers get to unlap themselves (would have happened if the race wasn’t red flagged yesterday), but any lead is essentially wiped out and the pack closed. Not to mention the advantage this brings if you get lucky with pit stop timing.
Exactly that. No need to say more.

NM

The Hamilton love in from a few posters here is crazy. Of course his drive was brilliant but he got lucky. Just like many others have in the past.. saying that isn't moaning or complaining, it's just a fact.

Hamilton comes across a lot better than some of his fans here

Adam-Utd

The Hamilton love in from a few posters here is crazy. Of course his drive was brilliant but he got lucky. Just like many others have in the past.. saying that isn't moaning or complaining, it's just a fact.

Hamilton comes across a lot better than some of his fans here
I think most have agreed he was lucky? what's the issue.

People can still support him and say he did a good job.