F1 2021 Season

Fluctuation0161

So what are you implying? They should deduct as many seconds until he drops 3rd? 10 seconds is a standard punishment in formula 1. If he still remains in 2nd place after that its also because he deserves so by realizing such a lead on sunday right? Or do you suggest they should go out of their way and punishment standards with the goal of him dropping on the table?

Moreover, he did get 5 seconds during the race, was asked to let Lewis pass and dropper two places after the red flag. All rightfully so, but there is hardly any denying he got punished, hence he is not getting away with reckless driving..
I'm saying that brake checking deserves more than a time penalty.

Fluctuation0161

But it actually is in terms of punishment. Hamilton was deemed at fault, was given a very minor punishment that didn’t have any impact on his race despite Max getting a DNF and having to take an engine penalty in the next race because his car was destroyed.

People on here are acting like it was an act of murder to press the break. It was dangerous and there was a punishment, there were mitigating circumstances because max had no idea why Hamilton wasn’t passing and Hamilton had no idea why max was slowing.
Hamilton was deemed to have the majority of fault. But Max contributed to Silverstone and it was a racing event. Not an attempt to brake check.

Fluctuation0161

Since 1994 but thanks for caring, hope you're well xxx
Xoxoxo.

Similar time to me. Seems weird that people are bringing up Silverstone alone and not in context of Max nearly causing a collision many times this season even before Silverstone but Lewis had to back out.

Now Max has broken all racing norms of sportsmanship and Silverstone is being brought up as comparable when it really isn't at all.

Cardozo

I'm saying that brake checking deserves more than a time penalty.
On what basis? Are you more clued up than the stewards with all the info?

Hamilton was deemed to have the majority of fault. But Max contributed to Silverstone and it was a racing event. Not an attempt to brake check.
So you’re happy the stewards were spot on here then? After reviewing all the data?

Just enjoy the fact it’s competitive, neither are squeaky clean.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause

So you’re happy the stewards were spot on here then? After reviewing all the data?

:lol: the first paragraph is a bit of a stupid argument sorry. Do you always agree with every yellow and red card in football, then?

Fluctuation0161

It can be competitive without trying to crash your opponent off the track and brake checking them. Max's telemetry has been posted in this thread you can see for yourself.

Fluctuation0161

Even Massa , who is not a big fan of Lewis by any stretch of the imagination, is very critical of Max. For both braking and slightly weaving while he slows down.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Given I don't know that much about F1 I tend to defer my opinion to Marc Priestley. He always seems to hold a reasonable opinion which he imparts in an eloquent and easy to understand manner. He prevaricates a bit on the DRS repass issue and defends Max a lot more than I thought he would, but he breaks it down well and still comes out with a reasoned, well argued stance (he gets a lot of stick in this really quite a long video).

Slevs

likes to play with penises
So toxic in here. Glad I'm not a fan of any of these 2.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
So toxic in here. Glad I'm not a fan of any of these 2.
I’ve never quite been a fan of Lewis but hope he wins the WC over verstappen this year.

it’s hard to have opinions these days without being accused of having agendas and opinions, I don’t quite see why it’s toxic in here and what you mean, I see a couple of staunch max fans and anti Lewis fans but that’s it, maybe I’m blind to the Lewis support.

Fluctuation0161

I’d like mclaren to do well, I like Norris and ricciardo too
Same.

For this season I'm not especially pro Lewis, it can be boring having the same winner all the time, I felt the same about Schumacher. But I cannot abide Max's dirty tactics so would prefer a cheat to not prevail.

The punishment is consistent with causing a collision through dangerous/negligent driving. Same as Hamilton in Silverstone. It's too lenient a punishment in general but that's not really the point.

Of course there are some people, who don't seem to understand motor racing, who will say Max intended to brake check Lewis at 130mph and probably destroy his gearbox, risk his engine, and get disqualified, rather than the obvious - that he braked to force Lewis to pass him before the DRS line, assuming Lewis knew that he was being let past.

The stewards didn't believe Max intended to cause that collision and it's reflected in their ruling and in the time penalty.
It doesn't matter why he did it, it matters that he did it. Max knew it would cause a collision because he has mirrors that would have been filled by the Mercedes. He knew Hamilton was there.

It was dangerous and a 10 second penalty tells him he can do something equally dangerous again.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
I’ve never quite been a fan of Lewis but hope he wins the WC over verstappen this year.

it’s hard to have opinions these days without being accused of having agendas and opinions, I don’t quite see why it’s toxic in here and what you mean, I see a couple of staunch max fans and anti Lewis fans but that’s it, maybe I’m blind to the Lewis support.
This bugs me so f*cking much.. I very much dislike Max Verstappen, but if you make one single non-praise comment on Lewis in here its immediately interpreted as a Pro-Max opinion and accused of being a Max fanboy...Since last sunday I have literally said nonthing in defense or pro-Max, but Ive been accused of being a Max fanboy by multiple posters he, because I was doubting Lewis..

But yeah, this thread is just another artifact apparently of the general more and more polarizing world.. Dare to touch Lewis in here and suddenly you're a Max fanboy. Hell, at home people are terrorizing me for wanting LeClerc, Gasly and Norris more to win than Max, because I think they're way more likable..

Thats what makes this thread toxic for me...

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Hoping Ferrari and McLaren nail the new regulations!
Max vs Lewis rivalry has nothing on the old Ferrari vs McLaren rivalry :lol: . That was also very toxic. I remember properly hating Ferrari and I would regularly get into arguments with Ferrari fans.

We've both been shite for ages though so everything has mellowed out.

RoadTrip

This bugs me so f*cking much.. I very much dislike Max Verstappen, but if you make one single non-praise comment on Lewis in here its immediately interpreted as a Pro-Max opinion and accused of being a Max fanboy...Since last sunday I have literally said nonthing in defense or pro-Max, but Ive been accused of being a Max fanboy by multiple posters he, because I was doubting Lewis..

But yeah, this thread is just another artifact apparently of the general more and more polarizing world.. Dare to touch Lewis in here and suddenly you're a Max fanboy. Hell, at home people are terrorizing me for wanting LeClerc, Gasly and Norris more to win than Max, because I think they're way more likable..

Rather odd though, I must say, that you don’t seem to note that there are also Max “fanboys” in this thread too. But never mind.

Fluctuation0161

Totally agree with your comments on F1 being a reflection of a more polarised World.

For me Red Bulls PR and spin epitomises that, even more so when defending the indefensible. But Sky and the other parties which stand to profit from the drama lap it up and create a false narrative.

Fluctuation0161

Max vs Lewis rivalry has nothing on the old Ferrari vs McLaren rivalry :lol: . That was also very toxic. I remember properly hating Ferrari and I would regularly get into arguments with Ferrari fans.

Like Arsenal and United? :lol:

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
Rather odd though, I must say, that you don’t seem to note that there are also Max “fanboys” in this thread too. But never mind.
Oh there definitely are. They are just never accusing me of being a Lewis fanboy :)

ArjenIsM3

Agree with this, though I like Max for always saying what he thinks, not being PC about it and because he's probably the best Dutch driver ever, I can see why people would dislike him for the same reasons. There are definitely more likeable drivers out there like the ones you mentioned. When it comes to personality I like Norris the most I think. Always liked Ricciardo too, seems like a great guy. McLaren as a team are just very likeable these days.

gormless

Schumacher and Mika would go out drinking together. I don’t think it was toxic (maybe between the fans it was), it was just hugely competitive between two brilliant drivers.

RoadTrip

Oh there definitely are. They are just never accusing me of being a Lewis fanboy :)
Yeah, but then I guess that’s because your one time (at least recently) posting in this thread is a perspective on why Lewis did something wrong / didn’t react like you’d expect. Anyway, side tracking here a lot now!

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
Schumacher and Mika would go out drinking together. I don’t think it was toxic (maybe between the fans it was), it was just hugely competitive between two brilliant drivers.
I was talking about the fans.

It's not like the relationship between Max and Lewis is toxic either. They're still both quite respectful (in public) with the odd dig. Hamilton's relationships with Rosberg and Alonso were far more toxic that between him and Max. The toxicity stems from the fans and Wolff/Horner/Marko.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
But they are outnumbered 10 to 1 at the very least so if you're a neutral this place comes off as one massive Lewis/anti-Max&Horner wank fest. I've put several regular posters in here on ignore over the last couple of months because they're simply insufferable and I don't think any of them are Max fans, so without the bias they are a bit like Liverpool fans in the United forum, sure you notice them but they don't make that much noise overall compared to the vast majority screaming the other way.

Anyway, I truly hope Merc and RB will be bottom of the field next year just for the simple fact that this thread will have a chance of not being absolutely terrible. And it would mean Ferrari can clean up and I can come in here and be insufferable about it. :)

RoadTrip

But they are outnumbered 10 to 1 at the very least so if you're a neutral this place comes off as one massive Lewis/anti-Max&Horner wank fest. I've put several regular posters in here on ignore over the last couple of months because they're simply insufferable and I don't think any of them are Max fans, so without the bias they are a bit like Liverpool fans in the United forum, sure you notice them but they don't make that much noise overall compared to the vast majority screaming the other way.

Anyway, I truly hope Merc and RB will be bottom of the field next year just for the simple fact that this thread will have a chance of not being absolutely terrible. And it would mean Ferrari can clean up and I can come in here and be insufferable about it. :)
Ha fair.

hobbers

Oh yeh please. Ferrari vs McLaren next year would be incredible.

A lot of the constant, angry noise in this thread will die away very quickly if Russell immediately starts sticking his car ahead of Lewis on the grid next season.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
But they are outnumbered 10 to 1 at the very least so if you're a neutral this place comes off as one massive Lewis/anti-Max&Horner wank fest.
Yeah, we had Max/Lewis flame wars before, which were super annoying - but that seems have disappeared primarily because most of the Max fans involved have disappeared, and only the Lewis/anti-Max side remains.

I mean, if you read the couple of dozen pages of this thread, you get the impression that Verstappen is some kind of insane, evil villain, but read the media and you'll find nothing of the kind. To me, it's about equally tiring as it was before, except now it's an echo chamber.

hobbers

I mean, if you read the couple of dozen pages of this thread, you get the impression that Verstappen is some kind of insane, evil villain, but read the media and you'll find nothing of the kind. To me, it's about equally tiring as it was before, except now it's an echo chamber.
F1's Donald Trump. Guilty of trying to murder Lewis at least 3 times now.

telstar96

Don't necessarily want Merc and RB at the back, but it would be great for other teams to compete at the top. It's been a duopoly of titles since 2010. Especially the dominance of Merc, in my opinion, has damaged the viewership and overall competitive nature of the championship. I think this is even more important considering that the number of races are constantly increasing. Very few will have the energy to tune into a 23 race season, if one team is over a second faster than the rest of the field.

NM

Pretty much. I used to hate McLaren.. Now I want them to do well. I'm a Ferrari fan first, and the only driver I support right now is Kimi so need to find somebody else... Ferrari fans have been suffering longer than United fans!

Don't necessarily want Merc and RB at the back, but it would be great for other teams to compete at the top. It's been a duopoly of titles since 2010. Especially the dominance of Merc, in my opinion, has damaged the viewership and overall competitive nature of the championship. I think this is even more important considering that the number of races are constantly increasing. Very few will have the energy to tune into a 23 race season, if one team is over a second faster than the rest of the field.
The FIA has always stepped in to address one team domination over the decades. It's rare a team does it for more than 4 or 5 years, but Mercedes have been allowed to do it for nearly 10.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Yeah, we had Max/Lewis flame wars before, which were super annoying - but that seems have disappeared primarily because most of the Max fans involved have disappeared, and only the Lewis/anti-Max side remains.

I have my views from watching the race myself before feb entering this thread and not a Lewis fan, but verstappen has been wild these last few races. Guess saying that makes a lot of people appear to be fans of Hamilton

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I have my views from watching the race myself before feb entering this thread and not a Lewis fan, but verstappen has been wild these last few races. Guess saying that makes a lot of people appear to be fans of Hamilton
There's a difference between pointing that out (which is entirely justified) and what (some) people have actually been posting about Verstappen though. But I'm not going to go into that, there is no point. I'm just back to ignoring most of the thread.