F1 2021 Season

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
There's a difference between pointing that out (which is entirely justified) and what (some) people have actually been posting about Verstappen though. But I'm not going to go into that, there is no point. I'm just back to ignoring most of the thread.
Apart from one trump post I must have missed what you’re on about.

Fluctuation0161

Oh yeh please. Ferrari vs McLaren next year would be incredible.

A lot of the constant, angry noise in this thread will die away very quickly if Russell immediately starts sticking his car ahead of Lewis on the grid next season.
That would be great. On both counts.

As long as Max is not winning I don't mind. :lol:

Would love to see Lando in a competitive car.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I have my views from watching the race myself before feb entering this thread and not a Lewis fan, but verstappen has been wild these last few races. Guess saying that makes a lot of people appear to be fans of Hamilton
I'm yet to see one ex driver say Max hasn't gone over the limit.

pacifictheme

Yeah, we had Max/Lewis flame wars before, which were super annoying - but that seems have disappeared primarily because most of the Max fans involved have disappeared, and only the Lewis/anti-Max side remains.

I mean, if you read the couple of dozen pages of this thread, you get the impression that Verstappen is some kind of insane, evil villain, but read the media and you'll find nothing of the kind. To me, it's about equally tiring as it was before, except now it's an echo chamber.
Most media have stated that max has crossed the line on a number of occasions this season so not sure that's true really.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Most media have stated that max has crossed the line on a number of occasions this season so not sure that's true really.
Obviously, they have, cause he did - and he got various penalties for that as well. But he has been depicted way beyond that in the thread I feel.

Anyway, if everyone's happy with the thread, then carry on; I'm not contributing much anyway and can easily ignore most of it.

Last edited:

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Obviously, they have, cause he did - and he got various penalties for that as well. But he has been depicted way beyond that in the thread I feel.

Anyway, if everyone's happy with the thread, then carry on; I'm not contributing much anyway can can easily ignore most of it.
I get what you’re saying but this is a fan forum thread. You’re going to get much more direct and emotional posts. You’ll never see a proper media outlet with such direct criticism, but that doesn’t necessarily mean they don’t think it too. Not saying they do, they might not, but if you’re basing it on what you see written I think it’s a flawed approach. If you go back to this thread during the Silverstone incident you’ll see similarly heated posts about Hamilton.

hobbers

That would be great. On both counts.

As long as Max is not winning I don't mind. :lol:

Would love to see Lando in a competitive car.
Yeah it's been a shame how much McLaren have just dropped off the second half of the season. Their fight with Ferrari was a good sideshow in the first half.

Would like to see any or all of those four drivers for either team in a title fight.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah it's been a shame how much McLaren have just dropped off the second half of the season. Their fight with Ferrari was a good sideshow in the first half.
Ricciardo hasn't been able to step up this season, has he? Last year the story was that he was still getting used to the car, but surely he should be past that now? But Norris hasn't been up there much recently either. Are they having issues? Or just stopped developing this year's car while focusing on next season?

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Ricciardo hasn't been able to step up this season, has he? Last year the story was that he was still getting used to the car, but surely he should be past that now? But Norris hasn't been up there much recently either. Are they having issues? Or just stopped developing this year's car while focusing on next season?
Am i right in saying the lower you finish in the constructors the more wind tunnel time you get, I know more money is great for finishing higher, but the extra bit of time in the tunnel could be a major difference for them next season

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think everybody except red bull and merc did that a while ago
That's what I thought - but that doesn't explain why McLaren are dropping off, or why Ricciardo's performances aren't improving. If indeed that's both true. :)
Am i right in saying the lower you finish in the constructors the more wind tunnel time you get, I know more money is great for finishing higher, but the extra bit of time in the tunnel could be a major difference for them next season
There's also a lot of money involved in getting a good position in the constructors standings, isn't there?

pacifictheme

Last year? He's only been at mclaren a season. He's doing OK, the car is apparently very weird to drive. He doe sof course have a race win and that was on merit as it was by no means guaranteed that max and Lewis would catch him. They just seem to have lost their way a bit towards the en dof the season. Lando hasn't been the same since the win that never was.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Last year? He's only been at mclaren a season. He's doing OK, the car is apparently very weird to drive. He doe sof course have a race win and that was on merit as it was by no means guaranteed that max and Lewis would catch him. They just seem to have lost their way a bit towards the en dof the season. Lando hasn't been the same since the win that never was.
I see you're right! It feels like he's been there much longer already - it must have been a long year for me! :lol: I'll shut up now. :)

Fluctuation0161

Would like to see any or all of those four drivers for either team in a title fight.
Would be great to have multiple teams competing for the title next year. The big rule change mean it must surely be likely that an unexpected team win! Or at least increase the chances.

If its Red Bull vs Mercedees again next year I'll be disappointed. Would love a curve ball like Haas with a rapid car.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That's what I thought - but that doesn't explain why McLaren are dropping off, or why Ricciardo's performances aren't improving. If indeed that's both true. :)

There's also a lot of money involved in getting a good position in the constructors standings, isn't there?
Merc engine has more power when new but the power falls off more than other engines when the unit is old... not sure how many power units mclaren have used?

Edit ricciardo took his 4th engine and a penalty on 10th October

So has done Turkey, USA, Mexico, Brazil, Qatar and Saudi on that engine... so perhaps that explains a bit of it

hobbers

Yeah they've stopped developing, and also the issues with the longevity of the Merc engine. Merc can obviously use as many as they like, but not sure how much McLaren have to pay for a new one. They probably have been running it in lower specs to keep it going for longer.

Fridge chutney

And it would mean Ferrari can clean up and I can come in here and be insufferable about it.
When on top, Ferrari is the most insufferable and arrogant constructor of all. They will make Mercedes and even Red Bull look small time.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
He made the switch from Renault to McLaren this year, hence his rather poor showing earlier in the season.

telstar96

He made the switch from Renault to McLaren this year, hence his rather poor showing earlier in the season.
And every since the winter break, Danny Ric has looked so much more at home.

I think people undervalue how hard it is to adapt to a new car. Some drivers get it straight away but most don’t. It’s especially hard when you‘re joining a team whereby the other driver has been fully integrated into the team. Norris not only has 3 seasons under his belt at McLaren but he has also tested for them since 2017 and ran multiple practice sessions prior to 2019. Just for comparison, Russell and Leclerc both had extensive experience testing and practicing for Mercedes and Ferrari respectively. So it’s no surprise they looked right at home, especially Russell who only had a one off race.

That being said, Norris is no slouch, so we really need to see the best of Danny Ric next year. For a driver of his ability, expectations are that he should be leading this team for 2022, not the #2 driver.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
And every since the winter break, Danny Ric has looked so much more at home.

I think people undervalue how hard it is to adapt to a new car. Some drivers get it straight away but most don’t. It’s especially hard when you‘re joining a team whereby the other driver has been fully integrated into the team. Norris not only has 3 seasons under his belt at McLaren but he has also tested for them since 2017 and ran multiple practice sessions prior to 2019. Just for comparison, Russell and Leclerc both had extensive experience testing and practicing for Mercedes and Ferrari respectively. So it’s no surprise they looked right at home, especially Russell who only had a one off race.

That being said, Norris is no slouch, so we really need to see the best of Danny Ric next year. For a driver of his ability, expectations are that he should be leading this team for 2022, not the #2 driver.
I can see Danny Ric being replaced at the end of next season if he doesn't rediscover his form. I really like him so want him to do well but, as you said, he is expected to be the one leading the team.

Gasly won't want to drive for AT forever so that could be a realistic replacement.

F-Red

I can see Danny Ric being replaced at the end of next season if he doesn't rediscover his form. I really like him so want him to do well but, as you said, he is expected to be the one leading the team.

Gasly won't want to drive for AT forever so that could be a realistic replacement.
The guys won a race this year, he's not suddenly gone poor overnight. New car to him this year, he'll have got to grips with the brakes (which was challenge at Renault in the early days) by next year.

The Firestarter

Would be great to have multiple teams competing for the title next year. The big rule change mean it must surely be likely that an unexpected team win! Or at least increase the chances.

If its Red Bull vs Mercedees again next year I'll be disappointed. Would love a curve ball like Haas with a rapid car.
Kamikadzin with a fast car is not something I have the nerves to see.

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
The guys won a race this year, he's not suddenly gone poor overnight. New car to him this year, he'll have got to grips with the brakes (which was challenge at Renault in the early days) by next year.
I think he'll be fine. He's been much better since the mid-season break already.

Was just more an observation than anything. On the flip side if he does get back to his best and McLaren regress, he'll want to leave.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I think people undervalue how hard it is to adapt to a new car.
Yeah, sorry, my bad. As I also said in another post in the meantime, I didn't realize it's still his first season with McLaren, thought it already was his second. Guess it's been a long year...

telstar96

100%. McLaren brought him in to be #1. They're reportedly paying him more than double what Norris is getting. Even Danny Ric ambitions are to be a world champion. 2022 is definitely make or break.

Gasly is a great shout. He's in no man's land in terms of finding a new drive. Can't see him going back to Red Bull and every other top team is locked out till 2023. His biggest hope is that a driver from a top team hits really bad form i.e. Ricciardo or Ocon maybe.

Fluctuation0161

Mick vs Max battle of the offsprings would be nice.

EDIT: compared to battle of the brats
Would be interesting. But...
I'll be happy if I don't have to watch Max and his "driving style" too much next season! I like Mick though, so far he seems hard but fair in the little we have seen of him.

The Firestarter

I'd love to see Danny Ric have a car that can compete next season. He's so much more likeable than Max and Lewis too.
Definitely a character. Not sure he will remain this way if he was in the mix to actually win a WC though.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

As a Mclaren fan he's definitely been a bit of a disappointment. Some great highs like Monza and a few other good results, but then some horrible drives along with it. Way too inconsistent.

I do think he needs to hit 2022 strongly, as there's plenty of good young drivers coming up. As you say Gasly would be a great move I think, we also have Pato O'ward from Indycar that they might want to give a chance (he's doing an f1 test soon)

F-Red

I don't think McLaren will be able to beat anyone to a world title with a customer engine sadly, a nice dream all the same.

F-Red

"Max Verstappen did brake on Lewis Hamilton as Red Bull apologise ahead of Abu Dhabi"
https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...ilton-verstappen-2021-standings-b1971818.html
Marko apologises and accepts Verstappen did brake on Hamilton in Jeddah
“At the time of the television interview, I passed on exactly the information I had previously received from the engineers,” Helmut Marko told f1-insider.com.
“They obviously weren’t right, so I’m sorry.”
The Red Bull advisor initially said: “We feel we have been treated unfairly. We are working to prove Max’s braking pressure did not increase when he crashed with Hamilton,” said the Austrian.
“Hamilton simply misjudged and drove into Max’s car. Unfortunately, that left two big cuts in our rear tyre. That’s why we couldn’t attack anymore.”
It must be black & white if Marko is coming out with it.

dinostar77

I don't think McLaren will be able to beat anyone to a world title with a customer engine sadly, a nice dream all the same.
They will when Audi eventually buy them.

Anyway in regards to danny Ric, the main problem has been the car under braking, it's where he is losing time to lando. Unfortunately for danny Ric, mclaren are designing the car around what lando needs rather than danny. They take input from both, but at present lando is the better drive and the future.