F1 2021 Season

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Can someone explain why this wouldn't be a potential safety concern?

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Yeah I'm not sure how I feel about the brake regulations, if we end up with cars poodling home just to save brakes or a real lack of significant running in practice sessions just so teams can save brakes for the race (once they get on top of these new cars) I don't see how that's positive but I guess we will find out.

The overcut will be massive next season though, unless they work out how to fire them up quickly (which I doubt) then it will be all about who dares to pit first.
Can someone explain why this wouldn't be a potential safety concern?
Surely they've done plenty of testing in the back ground, I can't imagine it'll even get close to being 'worn out'.

If it did then the teams would rightly protest this and it would get kicked out immediately, nobody is going to be driving at 200mph and risking brake failure.

Leg-End

But it’s F1, they will push the boundaries on it until they are told otherwise. If you add endurance to the brake then you take away performance, simple as that.

pauldyson1uk

One set of pads and disk for the whole weekend !!
Just think 10 -15 laps of the race left pushing for the win and your on badly worn disks and pads.
Now to me that is a significant safety risk.
OK they will just produce disks and pads that will last longer, but still think there is a risk.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
One set of pads and disk for the whole weekend !!
Just think 10 -15 laps of the race left pushing for the win and your on badly worn disks and pads.
Now to me that is a significant safety risk.
OK they will just produce disks and pads that will last longer, but still think there is a risk.
You'd think they also thought of those things if those are the first comments in this thread, and that they figured out how to deal with that issue. I wonder what it is though. Maybe there will be something about the minimum state that these parts have to be in by the end of the race, with harsh penalties (couple of grid positions at the least) for transgressions?

pauldyson1uk

You'd think they also thought of those things if those are the first comments in this thread, and that they figured out how to deal with that issue. I wonder what it is though. Maybe there will be something about the minimum state that these parts have to be in by the end of the race, with harsh penalties (couple of grid positions at the least) for transgressions?
I have no doubt they have thought about it and developed longer lasting, but why ?
Dont really see a problem, with changing disks and pads.
Does having new disks and pads give an advantage, maybe it does.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I have no doubt they have thought about it and developed longer lasting, but why ?
Dont really see a problem, with changing disks and pads.
Does having new disks and pads give an advantage, maybe it does.
It's got to be a cost issue right? I don't see any other reason why they'd do it.

To me it sounds like another reason for drivers to not go too fast which is a shame since they're already doing that to preserve both fuel and tires. I don't want F1 to be a series where looking after your car is such a huge part of it, it's supposed to be the ultimate racing series, not some sustainability challenge.

pauldyson1uk

It's got to be a cost issue right? I don't see any other reason why they'd do it.

To me it sounds like another reason for drivers to not go too fast which is a shame since they're already doing that to preserve both fuel and tires. I don't want F1 to be a series where looking after your car is such a huge part of it, it's supposed to be the ultimate racing series, not some sustainability challenge.
Maybe cost , like you I cant think of any other reason.
F1 should be all about speed , speed and speed, not tyre, fuel and now brake management

F-Red

If merc and red bull end up fighting till the end of the season it might give ferrari or mclaren a real opportunity to switch to 2022 development and get a head start
Ferrari switched 90-95% of their team onto 2022 development at the start of May.

F-Red

I guess they have written off 2021 then... fair play to them though its an early call but given the amount of changes coming in it could be one that really pays off if they get it right
I think they wrote 2021 off at the back end of last year, I think their view was to get the car into a position of being an improvement on last year. They had confidence with the power unit upgrade and they just needed that confidence to correlate with the track performance and they then moved quickly onto it. Interesting to see if it yields anything, Haas started development on their car last year & have been open in saying that they're doing no upgrades on this years car.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I think they wrote 2021 off at the back end of last year, I think their view was to get the car into a position of being an improvement on last year. They had confidence with the power unit upgrade and they just needed that confidence to correlate with the track performance and they then moved quickly onto it. Interesting to see if it yields anything, Haas started development on their car last year & have been open in saying that they're doing no upgrades on this years car.
I think 2022 could be really strange - there is the possibility somebody does a brawn (double diffuser) and finds a loophole that basically puts them so far ahead the championship is over before people can copy it

I do wonder what Lewis's appetite will be for 2022 if he wins the championship this year ... I can envisage a scenario where it envigorates him and he wants the chalange but more likley I could see him walking away so yeah 2022 really could be a strange one

Adam-Utd

Ferrari switched 90-95% of their team onto 2022 development at the start of May.
I guess they have written off 2021 then... fair play to them though its an early call but given the amount of changes coming in it could be one that really pays off if they get it right
Pretty much every manufacturer are 80% towards 2022 now.

A: there isn't much developing left to do, they're all pretty much at the maximum they can do within the rules

B: why spend millions on a car that you're throwing away next year? it just doesn't make any sense.

Maybe Merc/Red Bull will have one final push to get over the line and become champions, but for the likes of Ferrari/Mclaren/Alpine/Toro Rosso the difference between finishing 3rd or 6th wouldn't be big enough to outweigh the amount it would cost to develop the car.

This season is plenty competitive already anyway, I think it'll go down in history as one of the best.
I think 2022 could be really strange - there is the possibility somebody does a brawn (double diffuser) and finds a loophole that basically puts them so far ahead the championship is over before people can copy it

I do wonder what Lewis's appetite will be for 2022 if he wins the championship this year ... I can envisage a scenario where it envigorates him and he wants the chalange but more likley I could see him walking away so yeah 2022 really could be a strange one
With the cost cap it 'should' be closer than ever, but yes that's all part of the fun of F1, some clever people will think of something different and get a slight advantage. I just hope that the team that gets it wrong doesn't get stranded at the back for too long, seeing the likes of Haas and Williams struggle along at the back with no hope is no good for anybody.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Maybe Merc/Red Bull will have one final push to get over the line and become champions, but for the likes of Ferrari/Mclaren/Alpine/Toro Rosso the difference between finishing 3rd or 6th wouldn't be big enough to outweigh the amount it would cost to develop the car.
Speaking of finishing 3rd-6th: I never considered this before, but in the latest season of Drive to Survive, they mentioned that there are big bucks (as in: a really significant amount of money) to be won by finishing higher in the manufacturers ranking, which is why the battle for third was so important at the end of last season. I looked that up online, but I couldn't find the amounts concerned - and admittedly, I wouldn't have known anyway how that compares to overall team budgets.

Does anybody know? Cause that might put a different perspective on this comment about teams not caring too much about finishing 3rd or 6th.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

Speaking of finishing 3rd-6th: I never considered this before, but in the latest season of Drive to Survive, they mentioned that there are big bucks (as: a really significant amount of money) to be won by finishing higher in the manufacturers ranking, which is why the battle for third was so important at the end of last season. I looked that up online, but I couldn't find the amounts concerned - and admittedly, I wouldn't have known anyway how that compares to overall team budgets.

Does anybody know? Cause that might put a different perspective on this comment about teams not caring too much about finishing 3rd or 6th.
The prize money is several million usually - but the cost to develop your car would cost about the same amount. With the budget caps coming into effect next year it's more efficient to spend every penny now to make it as good as possible.

I can't find an official figure either - but usually i'd say the difference between 3rd and 4th would be about 30m dollars.

Azerbaijan GP Free Practice.

pauldyson1uk

Azerbaijan GP Practice One Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Max VerstappenRed Bull1:43.184
2) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.043
3) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.337
4) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.446
5) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+0.548
6) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+0.573
7) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.709
8) Lando NorrisMcLaren+0.812
9) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+1.593
10) Valtteri BottasMercedes+1.707
11) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo+1.759
12) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+1.908
13) Lance StrollAston Martin+2.050
14) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+2.200
15) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+2.231
16) Esteban OconAlpine+2.262
17) George RussellWilliams+2.268
18) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+2.268
19) Mick SchumacherHaas+3.715
20) Nikita MazepinHaas+3.761

Jaxa

Mazepin spinning and hitting a wall ... again, luckily never damaged the car this time.

At what point do Haas cut their losses here with this guy, been a disaster so far with the stuff that happened before the season even started and then his errr actual racing

pauldyson1uk

Azerbaijan GP Practice Two Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Sergio PerezRed Bull1:42.115
2) Max VerstappenRed Bull+0.101
3) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.128
4) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.321
5) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+0.419
6) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+0.578
7) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+0.826
8) Lando NorrisMcLaren+0.903
9) Esteban OconAlpine+0.905
10) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+1.015
11) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+1.041
12) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo+1.105
13) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.183
14) Lance StrollAston Martin+1.697
15) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+1.766
16) Valtteri BottasMercedes+2.069
17) George RussellWilliams+2.442
18) Nikita MazepinHaas+3.448
19) Mick SchumacherHaas+3.980
20) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+4.868

pauldyson1uk

Mazepin spinning and hitting a wall ... again, luckily never damaged the car this time.

At what point do Haas cut their losses here with this guy, been a disaster so far with the stuff that happened before the season even started and then his errr actual racing
Dont really think HAAS are that bothered about how the season pans out, all their effort is on 2022.
He is a accident waiting to happen and a big one at that.

Leg-End

They took his money/sponsorship, they made their bed.

pauldyson1uk

This year's Singapore Grand Prix has reportedly been cancelled due to Covid-19 restrictions, with Formula 1 now weighing up its replacement options.

According to a report from the BBC, for the second year running, the event's organisers and F1 agreed that it would not be possible for the Marina Bay venue to host the early October race as entry restrictions to the sovereign island will still be in place in approximately four months' time

Formula 1 is expected to confirm Singapore's cancellation imminently.

"We continue to work with all promoters during this fluid time and have plenty of options to adapt if needed," said a spokesman for the sports' commercial rights holder.

One potential venue seen as a viable replacement is Istanbul Park, which was initially scheduled to host the Turkish Grand Prix this month – in place of the Canadian Grand Prix - before the race was scrapped due to travel restrictions between the UK and Turkey.

But Shanghai in China is also an option for F1 while the Circuit of the Americas in Austin has reportedly put itself on the ranks to stage a double header, with a first race taking place a week before the US Grand Prix, scheduled on October 24.

Despite the latest news, Formula 1 remains confident of seeing the 2021 campaign unfold over 23 race weekends.

But the whisper in the paddock suggests that Brazil and Japan are also in jeopardy.

Unless Turkey is added to the green list, not a chance of a race there.

dinostar77

Mercedes lack of single lap pace is down to not being able to get the Softs into the right window over a single hot lap according to BBC. Longer race pace is up there with the Red Bulls.

Not a suprise that the teams with the illegal flexible rear wings had the top 4 spots covered. Bloody slow FIA, why not have the new load tests for Baku where there is a definite advantage of a flexible rear wing rather than delay it till french GP.

pauldyson1uk

Not yet convinced that the wing is illegal, could be that they have just used a loophole, but if they have it will soon be closed, but even so you dont expect this !

A day to forget for Mercedes
Session one
  • 7. Lewis Hamilton +0.709
  • 10. Valtteri Bottas +1.707
Session two
  • 11. Lewis Hamilton +1.041
  • 16. Valtteri Bottas +2.069
This track should be ideal for Mercedes, not being able to get the softs to work is worrying for them, but has I always say, why show your true pace until Q3

Last edited:

dinostar77

Lets see what happens in FP3. Track temperature could affect the cars as well. Mercs will figure it out.

Adam-Utd

I doubt Haas would even be in F1 any more without the Mazepin money. While he's obviously not the best driver he's keeping the team afloat. Maybe after the cost caps they'll be able to negotiate a better deal, but there was rumours of Mazepin buying the whole team.

pauldyson1uk

FP3 has started ,
Ted Kravitz reports that Mercedes will run their higher-downforce rear wing from this session, as they bid to cure their single-lap ails of yesterday.

It was the twisty middle sector where they were especially losing out.

dinostar77

Max has crashed the RB. Minor crash. Red Flag. Mercedes looks like they have gone too far with the changes anx made the car worse.