F1 2021 Season

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Never known Mercedes to be genuinely struggling so badly before, maybe the DAS system removal has really effected them worse than we all expected?

It seems they've set the car up to be really 'tyre friendly' which is great for looking after the tyres in the race, but they just can't get them fired up in short runs. I suspect they'll make up plenty of ground in the race but qualfying could end up being a bit of an embarrasment for them. I wonder if Bottas will decide to be a team player today?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Never known Mercedes to be genuinely struggling so badly before, maybe the DAS system removal has really effected them worse than we all expected?

It seems they've set the car up to be really 'tyre friendly' which is great for looking after the tyres in the race, but they just can't get them fired up in short runs. I suspect they'll make up plenty of ground in the race but qualfying could end up being a bit of an embarrasment for them. I wonder if Bottas will decide to be a team player today?

:)

pauldyson1uk

Azerbaijan GP Practice Three Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri1:42.251
2) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.344
3) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.446
4) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.527
5) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.755
6) Lando NorrisMcLaren+0.760
7) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+0.829
8) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+0.993
9) Esteban OconAlpine+1.043
10) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.306
11) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+1.334
12) Lance StrollAston Martin+1.431
13) Valtteri BottasMercedes+1.494
14) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo+1.575
15) Max VerstappenRed Bull+1.733
16) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+1.803
17) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+1.862
18) George RussellWilliams+2.183
19) Mick SchumacherHaas+3.031
20) Nikita MazepinHaas+3.460

pauldyson1uk

after watching FP , there is a very real chance that one or both of the Mercs might not make Q3 !!!
The time Lewis got in FP3 was aided by a huge tow from Perez.
Its not a case of sandbags, thats just daft.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

This isn't sandbagging at all.

While Merc are probably not using full engine power, they are NEVER this low in FP times. I expect they'll be scrapping for a top 6/7 position today.

dinostar77

Its the rule change for this season which was done to curtail Mercedes dominance. The rear downforce loss Mercedes haven't clawed back entirely. Therefore less downforce, the harder it is to push the tyres to generate heat and grip. No-one foresaw that a higher rake would be an advantage this season. Though there will be no high rake cars next season, as the return of ground effect means thats any sort of rake will be a huge disadvantage for the aero.

Adam-Utd

Its the rule change for this season which was done to curtail Mercedes dominance. The rear downforce loss Mercedes haven't clawed back entirely. Therefore less downforce, the harder it is to push the tyres to generate heat and grip. No-one foresaw that a higher rake would be an advantage this season. Though there will be no high rake cars next season, as the return of ground effect means thats any sort of rake will be a huge disadvantage for the aero.
Not sure that's completely the issue as they aren't getting the fronts switched on either. They don't lack grip once heated up, in race conditions they'll still be flying so downforce isn't the issue IMO.

They had a similar issue on the car last year but the DAS system helped them over come it. Look at Races like Portimao where they struggled massively for the first few laps.

It seems because of the nature of this circuit with lots of long straights and not many load bearing corners, they just aren't putting the heat through the tyres like they would in other proper tracks. Monaco is the same as it's slow corners or quick twitch corners, so unless your tyres are already heated they won't build it up through corners naturally.

I think Mercedes have simply made the cars too tyre friendly for street circuits, but could prove dividends in other tracks like Spain where we saw Verstappen kill his tyres much earlier.

pauldyson1uk

Not sure that's completely the issue as they aren't getting the fronts switched on either. They don't lack grip once heated up, in race conditions they'll still be flying so downforce isn't the issue IMO.

They had a similar issue on the car last year but the DAS system helped them over come it. Look at Races like Portimao where they struggled massively for the first few laps.

It seems because of the nature of this circuit with lots of long straights and not many load bearing corners, they just aren't putting the heat through the tyres like they would in other proper tracks. Monaco is the same as it's slow corners or quick twitch corners, so unless your tyres are already heated they won't build it up through corners naturally.

I think Mercedes have simply made the cars too tyre friendly for street circuits, but could prove dividends in other tracks like Spain where we saw Verstappen kill his tyres much earlier.
Monaco has always been a problem track for them , but Baku is a good track, high speed straights, winners the last 2 races run, they should not be struggling here.

pauldyson1uk

Pirelli has increased minimum rear tyre pressures for the remainder of the Azerbaijan GP weekend as stress levels in Baku have exceeded the manufacturer's expectations.

The boost from 19psi to 20psi is another variable that teams were forced to take into account at the start of Saturday's running.

For this year's return to Baku, Pirelli opted to supply a softer tyre selection relative to F1's last visit to Azerbaijan in 2019.

The C3, C4 and C5 choice was initially made to introduce an extra strategic element, bringing into play a hard tyre that wasn't used at in 2019.