F1 2021 Season

F-Red

It does seem pretty crazy that you can nudge a switch that turns the brakes off on a car that does over 200mph.

I missed the race and it sounds like it was brilliant.
Surely you can't turn the brakes off? It's rather the auromatic brake fluid pressure control innit ?
It just moved the brake bias to the front of the car to 75%, so essentially locked up gloriously.

Xeno

So much salt in this thread today.. Pretty likely it will only get worse as the season goes along as well unfortunately.
Grim isn’t it. Just fan boys on both sides with zero objectivity.

Good race. Pleased for the podium.

F-Red

That makes more sense. AKA bottling it:lol:
The switch is designed for safety car restarts as an easy way to put heat into the tyres, the speed they're going at during that period doesn't need a completely balanced set up on brake bias. However he'll be ruing that something so simple had an impact on a race win for him.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
The switch is designed for safety car restarts as an easy way to put heat into the tyres, the speed they're going at during that period doesn't need a completely balanced set up on brake bias. However he'll be ruing that something so simple had an impact on a race win for him.
I guess I don't have a clue what half the buttons in the cockpit do tbh.

Just an odd one today- can't remember that happening before.

Yes, this is the most pressure a 7 time world championship winner will have ever had. He finally "bottles it" due to the pressure of Baku. :lol:
Max and Lewis battling for the 'Baku bottler' nickname on the caf.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Bottas had an embarrassing race. Didn't even look like he was trying that hard.

Hephaestus

Absolutely no confidence with the car set up, you can tell by how early he's off the throttle and braking for the apex.
He was also on old tyres and think most of the cars he was racing in that clip had pitted towards the end of that safety car stint. Was a dreadful weekend for him in general though.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Bottas and wheel to wheel racing just don't go together. Nothing about car set up, he isn't a racer.

United Hobbit

Why didn't they change tyres before the final 2 lap dash? I thought they could under red flag conditions or had they used all available sets?

I don't see Bottas going to Williams if his seat is taken off him, reckon he will go to another form of motorsport

dinostar77

I'm wondering whether they will give Bottas a new Chassis. This has happen in the past before where a driver and team cannot workout what is wrong with one car out of the pair. A new Chassis is built (at a cost of something like £750,000) and suddenly the struggling driver isnt struggling anymore.

Also if as i expect Lewis signs on for another 2 years, i think he may request/demand/ask that Bottas remain in the team. After all he has Bottas under control and the relationship in the garage is much better than it was with Rosberg. A young hungry, with a point to prove Russell isnt what Lewis needs for next two seasons while he fights Max and whoever else for WDC's. A solid no2 like Bottas is what he will want beside him.

Leg-End

Mercedes shouldn’t bend over to Hamilton just “because” and to be honest I very much doubt Hamilton would demand anything in regards to his team mate.

This season so far has proved you need two drivers on top form to succeed. Bottas for me is driving like a guy that knows he’s on the way out the team.

ZIDANE

Supports
The Philosophy.
Just watch this from Bottas

Consider this his resignation
Was that the last two laps or after the first safety car? Because he was on the old hard tyres but those behind pitted to change tyres (Alonso, etc). Horrible weekend for him still.

Leg-End

Was that the last two laps or after the first safety car? Because he was on the old hard tyres but those behind pitted to change tyres (Alonso, etc). Horrible weekend for him still.
First but there is no excuse for his car positioning there, he’a made the same inside corner line misjudgement 4 times in a lap!

sillwuka

What a dramatic race! This is why you don't switch off until the very end.

I do feel for Bottas, he got the blame for the wheel mishap a few weeks ago and Toto tried to deflect blame when it was Hamilton's fault today. I love Lewis but Bottas is treated like such an afterthought.

Tyrion

Just watch this from Bottas

Consider this his resignation
If the race went on much longer and his car didn't pack it in, Russell could have overtaken Bottas. :nervous:

I thought they might keep him until the end of 2022 but he might not make it until then.

Bottas and wheel to wheel racing just don't go together. Nothing about car set up, he isn't a racer.
Agreed. Mercedes picked him because he doesn't threaten Hamilton. When he's stuck in traffic, everyone else finds him as easy to pass as Hamilton does in lap 1. Whenever he winds up in the midfield, he either stays where he is or goes backwards.

Was hoping Ferrari would win this one. Sad.
They got pole but LeClerc was fighting a losing battle from the start. He nearly got a podium though at the end but Gasly held him off.

dinostar77

So lewis accidentally turned off the rear brakes, apparently theres a switch on the wheel that allows them to do that so they can more heat into the fronts during the formation lap.

If lewis loses the championship by anything up to 21points then this result might be the defining factor of the season.

pauldyson1uk

So lewis accidentally turned off the rear brakes, apparently theres a switch on the wheel that allows them to do that so they can more heat into the fronts during the formation lap.

If lewis loses the championship by anything up to 21 points then this result might be the defining factor of the season.
I agree, this race could come back to haunt him, he should have taken his own advice and settled for second.
His radio message was bullshit, we all knew he was going for it.
Knocking the switch was just one of those things.

pauldyson1uk

What a dramatic race! This is why you don't switch off until the very end.

I do feel for Bottas, he got the blame for the wheel mishap a few weeks ago and Toto tried to deflect blame when it was Hamilton's fault today. I love Lewis but Bottas is treated like such an afterthought.
Toto doing what Toto does, there was no defending Lewis and he admitted his mistake.
Bottas is a strange one, its like he has given up, its no secret he is going at the end of the season, he will get another drive in 2022 I have no doubt, could be s swap for Russell at Williams, could they do it during this season, I dont think so , but stranger things have happened in F1.

redshaw

The tracks coming up should suit Merc more so it's not that bad yet and even Bottas could find something to be happy about and help out. Feathers have definitley been ruffled at Merc though.