F1 2021 Season

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It was interesting seeing the Rosberg/Hamilton feud from a few years ago. I wasn't aware of that. The whole thing just does a great job of showing so many things that you don't normally see. Not sure I need to see a naked BottASS though.

vangagal

Finished season 3 DTS.
I think it was the most F words flying around in a season so far. I gues they are comfortable now with Netflix's hanging around them.

keithsingleton

mate....you're talking to yourself...have a cup of tea.
Paul's passionate about his F1 :D Personally enjoy reading his post.:)

As for the first race this weekend I wish I could call it. Sadly recent testing means it's hard to predict at the moment. Fingers crossed for Hammy though.

mitChley

I've just finished the Grosjean/Bahrain episode

I can't believe how little of a deal they made of Russell taking the Mercedes spot when Hamilton was out. I don't know if it was more of a big deal in Britain because he is British and maybe others didn't care, but the potential of him winning, having never scored any points before made such a dramatic weekend

pauldyson1uk

DTS ep 3, Horner really did not like the DAS.
Cant fault Horner with his passion, he wants to do well, which is what is expected, but OMG he can moan.
Have to admit if you had a F1 team, you would want either Horner or Toto to be team Principle

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
They really fecked up not having the George Russell Mercedes story featured. There was so much drama in that weekend and surely the producers should have known that they needed to have cameras in the Merc garage for it.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Season 3 is ok, featured a lot of Racing Point & McLaren. Missed some key stories of Williams leaving F1, Russell coming into the Merc, and the Turkish GP.

Not a good season. How the hell did they miss Williams story

dinostar77

https://www.motorsportmagazine.com/...ach-f1-team-spent-its-2021-development-tokens

Where has each team spent their F1 tokens?
Mercedes – The team opted not to divulge where it spent tokens at the launch of the W12, with technical director James Allison admitting that it was purely to prevent teams from having more time to copy any new designs the team will run in 2021. “We have spent our tokens, but we won’t reveal how we used them just yet. That’ll become clear in good time.”

Red Bull – Red Bull hasn’t revealed where it spent development tokens but after a year battling rear-end instability, a spend to introduce a rear suspension system similar to that of Mercedes would not be a foolish estimation to make as it seeks to regain lost downforce from the regulation changes.

McLaren – As per Article 22.8.6, the team has had to spend both of its development tokens fitting a Mercedes power unit into its chassis for 2021, under the watchful eye of the FIA which ensured that they weren’t making changes purely for performance gain. The team said last season it was not happy with the token system allowing Aston Martin to adopt 2020 Mercedes parts free of charge.

Aston Martin – Due to a loophole in the regulations, Aston Martin will adopt the 2020 Mercedes rear suspension free of charge, because it ran the 2019 version last year. This allowed it to spend its development tokens on modifying the survival cell of its AMR21.

Alpine – Another team to focus on the rear of its ’21 car, Alpine hasn’t said specifically where it has spent its tokens. “A lot of changes at the rear of the car, this is where we focused our attention because that’s where the regulations have impacted it,” Alpine executive director Marcin Budkowski said.

Ferrari – The new Ferrari features an altered front nose cone design to move closer to the Mercedes-style design but the team has focused its token spend on the rear of the car. The SF21 will have a new rear transmission and suspension in an effort to gain back lost downforce at the back of the car.

AlphaTauri – The team says it has spent its tokens on the front of its car, specifically a new nose and outboard front suspension. “We believe the chassis and power unit provides a good baseline, so we are happy to have spent our tokens elsewhere for 2021,” technical director Jody Egginton said.

Alfa Romeo – Alfa technical boss Jan Monchaux was upfront about the team spending its development tokens on the front of the car. A new nose design was the focus during the winter. “We decided to invest our two tokens on a new nose, so the nose box and the crash box obviously is brand new, which was mainly driven for aero reasons,” Monchaux said.

Haas – A team that is already fully focused on 2022, Haas hasn’t spent any development tokens iterating its VF-20. “We didn’t use the development tokens this year. I wouldn’t say it’s a holding season, more of a transitional season,” team principal Gunther Steiner said during the team’s livery launch.

Williams – Having already spent a single token in 2020, Williams hasn’t developed elsewhere.”We spent one of our tokens last year and I’m not going to divulge where we spent it because we spent one last year and that left us with only one over,” team principal Simon Roberts said. “There wasn’t enough to get into the nose or any of the structures.”

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
It seems weird that the FIA can't ban a new technology because no existing rule covers it and they have to wait till the next season to write it into the regs. Why don't they give themselves a catch-all regulation that can act on something like DAS as soon as it becomes known?

Leg-End

It seems weird that the FIA can't ban a new technology because no existing rule covers it and they have to wait till the next season to write it into the regs. Why don't they give themselves a catch-all regulation that can act on something like DAS as soon as it becomes known?
Bending the rules with innovation is part of the fabric of the sport, if they stifle it then it takes away from everything. The whole F-Duct innovation was the birth of DRS, stuff like that can enhance the sport.

DAS I suspect was useful not exactly game changing, it helped Mercedes with tyre warm up but I don't think we really say it impact massively.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Bending the rules with innovation is part of the fabric of the sport, if they stifle it then it takes away from everything. The whole F-Duct innovation was the birth of DRS, stuff like that can enhance the sport.

DAS I suspect was useful not exactly game changing, it helped Mercedes with tyre warm up but I don't think we really say it impact massively.
No but if one team developed summat that completely blew away the competition it would ruin it for the season.

Leg-End

No but if one team developed summat that completely blew away the competition it would ruin it for the season.
But that's happened already in the past, that is the competition! Jenson Button has a WDC from a double diffuser, Mercedes smashed the V6 Hybrid start, Williams had active suspension, Benetton had traction control etc.

The competition is so vast that any innovation is copied and on all cars after a few races. Speaking of I wonder what Mercedes spent their tokens on for this season, the silence is deafening.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
But that's happened already in the past, that is the competition! Jenson Button has a WDC from a double diffuser, Mercedes smashed the V6 Hybrid start, Williams had active suspension, Benetton had traction control etc.

The competition is so vast that any innovation is copied and on all cars after a few races. Speaking of I wonder what Mercedes spent their tokens on for this season, the silence is deafening.

Fair enough, I'm not that familiar with the technical stuff.

F-Red

Not a good season. How the hell did they miss Williams story
Bit of a weird one really, the story has some mileage given their history. My guesses is that the offer for the team came unexpectedly and the family made a call to take it whilst it was there. Meant that the preparation for them to get their fan fare was pretty muted and they obscured into silence. Frank's story was the last of the true great independents out there.