F1 2021 Season

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Baby steps.

Believe they have free choice of tyres again. So I'm guessing mediums for everyone even though the soft held up better than expected.
:lol:

I guess so.... :D

Tiber

Silly post.
Is it? I said for years that the Mercedes car advantage was the factor preventing Max from fighting for the title despite all his skills. Now the car advantage has flipped and Red Bull are instantly running away with it on Saturdays and Sundays.

Maybe next year the title won't be decided in the factory, but I doubt it. Hopefully one designer won't dominant the sport for most of a decade. It's nice to see a new name on top, but would be nice to see it change every year for the first time in...god knows when?

justboy68

Didn't really like it if I'm being honest. It was worth a try but don't want to see it stick around in this format.

A sprint qualifying with reverse championship grids could be interesting though. Give the faster cars a chance to fight through the pack and see how far up they can get.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Must be educational for Lewis to realise that when a quality opponent has a better car, there is virtually nothing you can do.
I think his car being matched is already pretty educational, it's wasted on his fans though.

redshaw

2022 might be more interesting in this format. Like many races for decades after a few laps it settles down until either pit stops or strategy comes into play. F1 has many processional tracks so this won't liven things up at most.

Could even be counter productive, the early jostle on Sunday is already done so we could have a very measured paced out opening.

TV wise most will be watching on highlights so I wonder how many laps they will get to show, 7-8? Might be best to have the quali and sprint on the same day?

For Hungary next race, a 5-7 lap highlights around the hungaroring won't be worth tuning in for. It's like 10mins of action on Friday, then a little bit more on Sat. Too bitty and not definitive.

Are they adding in reverse grids as well next year? I just can't support reverse grids. If 2022 rules are more conducive for racing we really don't need them.

Tiber

I don't even mean to be anti-hamilton. I first got into the sport by watching him scare the life out of Alonso and Kimi. When I think of an F1 car I picture him in that chrome McLaren or Button in the Brawn. But a sport needs competition at the front and the recent dominance of Mercedes has sucked so much life out of the sport for me.

I like everyone else think Lewis is an all time great. But I won't sit here and pretend I think Merc have won title after title due to his sheer brilliance. Not when Alonso fights for 8th every week and poor Goerge Russell has about as much chance of scoring a point as I do of becoming King of Armenia.

It's brilliant to see Max on top, but whilst refreshing I don't want to see him win every race for the next seven years. The red bull being 3 seconds ahead of Hamilton on lap 14 after starting from 2nd doesn't bode well for an exciting battle tomorrow.

I'd like to think that with these much hyped regs (and they really have been hyped for years) we will suddenly see a Williams charge to a podium and Alfa and Haas to do more than make up numbers year after year. But does anyone actually expect that to happen? I certainly don't. It would be nice to think the title will at least occasionally rotate between the big three every year instead of long periods of domaince like that we have seen from Red Bull and Mercedes - but even that seems a low bar to me.

I have been deserpate to see Max win a title for years, but now that he is doing it? I thought I would enjoy it more. I'm not calling for F1 to become a spec series, I just wish there was a way to become more dependent on the drivers. There is something off about seeing Sky hype up Alonso and Vettel battling for 8th

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
fun for the start, boring for the rest.

it’s literally no different than a sunday’s race, just 1/3 of it and no pit stops.

if they want it to remain exciting they need to do something different

pauldyson1uk

Did not like the sprint race, it was OK for the first few laps then was just boring, in fact turned it off before the end.
Personally I think this is just to sell more tickets, at the track, give the race goers something every day.
Hope this season is just an experiment that fails.
The extra wear and tear on the cars is huge.

British GP: F1 Sprint result

pauldyson1uk

British GP: F1 Sprint result
1) Max Verstappen, Red Bull
2) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes
3) Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes
4) Charles Leclerc, Ferrari
5) Lando Norris, McLaren
6) Daniel Ricciardo, McLaren
7) Fernando Alonso, Alpine
8) Sebastian Vettel, Aston Martin
9) George Russell, Williams
10) Esteban Ocon, Alpine

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
I didn't mind the sprint at all, some of the moaning here is bordering on absurd but I agree it'd be better if there were some changes. They should just keep qualifying on Saturday and then immediately race for 5 laps after Q3. Just fold it into the spectacle and then give that extra chance for the grid to change or something. Not much point making it its own event to tune into separately. Although more F1 is always good.

hobbers

It wasn't amazing but it's definitely better than having just practice on Fridays.

Also, with a few tweaks sprint races could be great, especially on other tracks and next year if the car changes work.

I'd like to see a few weekends where qualifying still decides the grand prix starting positions, and the sprint race should be reverse grid, maybe 50-60km, and held purely for points, but obviously reduced points.

Last edited:

Did not like the sprint race, it was OK for the first few laps then was just boring, in fact turned it off before the end.
Personally I think this is just to sell more tickets, at the track, give the race goers something every day.
Hope this season is just an experiment that fails.
The extra wear and tear on the cars is huge.
Isn't that exactly what it's for? Get 3 days of TV viewing instead. I thought they had been quite open about that.

It would work if they reversed the grid. Otherwise, it's pointless.

pauldyson1uk

Isn't that exactly what it's for? Get 3 days of TV viewing instead. I thought they had been quite open about that.

It would work if they reversed the grid. Otherwise, it's pointless.
Yeah I think I did read it was for that
For me qualifying was fine the way it was.
Maybe 100km was just too long, like the idea of a reverse grid, would make for some good racing.

pauldyson1uk

I didn't mind the sprint at all, some of the moaning here is bordering on absurd but I agree it'd be better if there were some changes. They should just keep qualifying on Saturday and then immediately race for 5 laps after Q3. Just fold it into the spectacle and then give that extra chance for the grid to change or something. Not much point making it its own event to tune into separately. Although more F1 is always good.
Dont think I have moaned that much, but point taken, something new needs time to settle in.

Dan_F

Not a bad idea. They could then shorten the sprint to five laps, which seems unlikely if they keep it as a separate event.

Zarlak

Not a bad idea. They could then shorten the sprint to five laps, which seems unlikely if they keep it as a separate event.
Yeah, there's no point shortening it if they're keeping the days split - who wants to tune in for 30 minutes of build up for a 10 minute event? Would be a pointless waste of everyones time.

dinostar77

I don't even mean to be anti-hamilton. I first got into the sport by watching him scare the life out of Alonso and Kimi. When I think of an F1 car I picture him in that chrome McLaren or Button in the Brawn. But a sport needs competition at the front and the recent dominance of Mercedes has sucked so much life out of the sport for me.

I like everyone else think Lewis is an all time great. But I won't sit here and pretend I think Merc have won title after title due to his sheer brilliance. Not when Alonso fights for 8th every week and poor Goerge Russell has about as much chance of scoring a point as I do of becoming King of Armenia.

It's brilliant to see Max on top, but whilst refreshing I don't want to see him win every race for the next seven years. The red bull being 3 seconds ahead of Hamilton on lap 14 after starting from 2nd doesn't bode well for an exciting battle tomorrow.

I'd like to think that with these much hyped regs (and they really have been hyped for years) we will suddenly see a Williams charge to a podium and Alfa and Haas to do more than make up numbers year after year. But does anyone actually expect that to happen? I certainly don't. It would be nice to think the title will at least occasionally rotate between the big three every year instead of long periods of domaince like that we have seen from Red Bull and Mercedes - but even that seems a low bar to me.

I have been deserpate to see Max win a title for years, but now that he is doing it? I thought I would enjoy it more. I'm not calling for F1 to become a spec series, I just wish there was a way to become more dependent on the drivers. There is something off about seeing Sky hype up Alonso and Vettel battling for 8th
As for next year, simple answer is we dont know. Wind tunnel time is restricted according to how well you do in the previous years championship. Common sense would tell you that a customer team has never won the the constructors or WDC. However all it takes is for Haas, Williams or someone to have that one novel interpretation of the rules ala Brawn double diffuser and you have the rest of the grid playing catchup while you potentially win the constructors and wdc.

dinostar77

Russell has been given a 3 place grid penalty for sainz collision.

Riccardo said Alonso has the best racecraft on the grid.

Last edited:

Hal9000

Can't help but feel the sprint will be better with next year's cars. Lewis probably would of got his place back, Alonso wouldnt of held up pretty much everyone for 10 laps...

pauldyson1uk

George Russell has lost three positions and been shuffled out of the top 10 on the British GP grid after being penalised for a tangle with Ferrari's Carlos Sainz in Saturday's F1 Sprint.

The Williams driver drops from ninth to 12th as a result of the three-place grid penalty imposed after being found to have forced Sainz off the track on the first lap of the sprint.

The stewards' verdict read: "Cars 63 [Russell] and 55 [Sainz] approached turn 6 with Car 63 on the inside, in the middle of the track, and Car 55 on the outside.

"Car 63 locked the front brakes briefly and then understeered towards the edge of the track at the exit of the turn and contacted Car 55, which was forced off the circuit and on to the grass. Car 63 is judged at fault for the incident.

"The Stewards note that breaches of the regulations of this sort in a race normally result in time penalties, which are scaled based on normal Grand Prix race lengths.

"Both because of the shorter length of Sprint Qualifying and because it is used to establish the grid for the race, the Stewards feel that grid position penalties, as imposed here, are more appropriate."

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Sprint race of 17 laps, what's the point. Just a preview of the race. Waste of time and plainly not needed.

United Hobbit

Who will decide if the sprints continue? Hamilton was saying how he enjoyed the Friday qualifying and sprint could work with some tweaks.

I like having the 3 days of coverage and would love to see a reverse grid race and the likes of Hamilton and Verstappen having to come through the pack. Imagine Mazepin on pole though :eek:

I'd quite like a short sprint race after qualifying - the first 2 or 3 laps are usually the most exciting

Is tomorrow's race the normal length?

dinostar77

Tomorrow is back to normal sunday gp. Chance of reverse grid in the future is 0%. FIA would like it, the top teams are completely against it.

Adam-Utd

Tomorrow is back to normal sunday gp. Chance of reverse grid in the future is 0%. FIA would like it, the top teams are completely against it.
They should randomise it.

Remove the championship points and make it it's own reward. The parade on the bus + getting a reef etc is enough to warrant trying to win it. Don't have any link to Sundays race at all. Qualy on Friday should set the proper grid for Sundays race.

Pick the grid order at random just for a laugh, then go racing.

Imagine Verstappen at the back fighting through the pack, Mazepin starting from first with Russell 2nd etc

Having it fastest at the front just means they'll run away with it every race. Doing it how they do it now means it's pointless for the rest of the grid to even try, only the top 3 get any benefits.

They're better just holding their positions and not doing anything risky, look at Perez and Sainz, they're completely out of position now because they tried to race. Very unfair IMO.

Zarlak

They should randomise it.

Remove the championship points and make it it's own reward. The parade on the bus + getting a reef etc is enough to warrant trying to win it. Don't have any link to Sundays race at all. Qualy on Friday should set the proper grid for Sundays race.

Pick the grid order at random just for a laugh, then go racing.

Imagine Verstappen at the back fighting through the pack, Mazepin starting from first with Russell 2nd etc

Having it fastest at the front just means they'll run away with it every race. Doing it how they do it now means it's pointless for the rest of the grid to even try, only the top 3 get any benefits.

They're better just holding their positions and not doing anything risky, look at Perez and Sainz, they're completely out of position now because they tried to race. Very unfair IMO.
Nah, if there are no points at stake and no qualifying impact then the drivers will be under instructions to be safe and boring to preserve the car for Sunday. If they then tried to race and clip or damage the car in any way where i.e a new gearbox needs to be put in then there will be hell to pay.

Adam-Utd

Nah, if there are no points at stake and no qualifying impact then the drivers will be under instructions to be safe and boring to preserve the car for Sunday. If they then tried to race and clip or damage the car in any way where i.e a new gearbox needs to be put in then there will be hell to pay.
Whats the difference now? the cars still going to get damaged.

Only the top 3 get points and that's pretty much sewn up with the 2 red bulls and Mercedes, so where's the incentive for everybody else?

You see what happened with Perez, why would anybody risk trying to move forwards now when he's starting at the back instead of 7th?

hobbers

Reverse grid from Friday qualifying, 80km, old point system of 10 down to 1 for the top 8. No bearing on the main Sunday GP.

Saying that probably a bit shit awarding 10 points for an 80km win and only 25 for a full race. 8 points down to 1 for the top 8 finishers.

Adam-Utd

Reverse grid from Friday qualifying, 80km, old point system of 10 down to 1 for the top 8. No bearing on the main Sunday GP.

Saying that probably a bit shit awarding 10 points for an 80km win and only 25 for a full race. 8 points down to 1 for the top 8 finishers.
That would be much better.

The incentive is it's a race to win - they're only doing this for the fans, so why not make it something special?

Right now it's just going to be Hamilton or Verstappen, fighting to the first corner, then 1 of them leaping off and never getting caught. How fun is that.

Without somebody taking a big risk like Alonso did it'll just be your usual DRS train. Maybe the 2022 cars it'll work better, but in the current format it's not for me.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

That sounds fun, yeah. Reverse grid is great for overtaking and giving the weaker teams a change, but if it affects qualification for the full race, people will just qualify poorly to start higher up anyway. If you make it a reverse-grid sprint race, there aren't enough points to justify messing up qualification for the actual GP for the big teams, and it isn't long enough for the ones that start in front to be completely pushed back into the lower positions again. (Although you'd probably get shithousery between the worst team to make sure they start from pole for the sprint.)

Camilo

At least we know not to bother watching tomorrow now. We already know the result.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
F1 - how do we make Friday more interesting?

MotoGP - we make last 5 minutes of Friday Practice 2 like a qualifying event by guaranteeing automatic qualification into Q2. It works really well and gives viewers and fans a reason to watch free practice.

F1- I know, let’s run a sprint race that is entertaining for 3 laps and is then just the same as the race…

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I think the idea for 17 laps was to ensure that the teams will need to gamble between softs and mediums. If it's 5 laps, everybody would just go to soft.

dinostar77

Ross Brawn as been drinking the coolade. Apparently the sprint race was an unqualified success. All positive messages about it and great racing.

I've always like ross, but in this instance he's delusional.

Last edited:

Leg-End

The media channels want us to love it but everything I’ve read about it from fan opinion indicates it was pretty pants. Just because a Silverstone crowd is loving being back at the race doesn’t mean they loved it too.

Absolute shite.

dinostar77

Why not get rid of fridays entirely? Just have fp1 on Saturday and qually after that. Then race on sunday and done. Lewis Hamilton suggested that.

I like that idea, means qually and the race will be more unpredictable as teams will have to decide how to use the sole FP session. Get the car dialled in? Do long or short runs with fuel? Ditto with the tyres.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Why not get rid of fridays entirely? Just have fp1 on Saturday and qually after that. Then race on sunday and done. Lewis Hamilton suggested that.

I like that idea, means qually and the race will be more unpredictable as teams will have to decide how to use the sole FP session. Get the car dialled in? Do long or short runs with fuel? Ditto with the tyres.
That would be great but it's never going to happen as it would generate less income.