F1 2021 Season

F-Red

We all know thats rubbish. There are plenty of america drivers outhere that you could give a chance.
None are in the feeder formulas at the minute. Rossi/Newgarden were the last opportunities of an American driver in the field (the former doing so and not really cutting it), but there's nothing coming through that makes me think we're going to be seeing an American F1 driver in any future season.

dinostar77

None are in the feeder formulas at the minute. Rossi/Newgarden were the last opportunities of an American driver in the field (the former doing so and not really cutting it), but there's nothing coming through that makes me think we're going to be seeing an American F1 driver in any future season.
Surely that doesnt stop them taking a indycar driver and putting them into a Haas. Superlicence points are gathered across various FIA approved series. Said indycar driver could then drive in F1.

Regardless it seems a wasted opportunity. F1 keep saying they want to break into the states properly. Theres an american team but not american driver. Current american indy car drivers have been moaning that they dont get a shot at F1 and especially at a america team like Haas.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Surely that doesnt stop them taking a indycar driver and putting them into a Haas. Superlicence points are gathered across various FIA approved series. Said indycar driver could then drive in F1.

Regardless it seems a wasted opportunity. F1 keep saying they want to break into the states properly. Theres an american team but not american driver. Current american indy car drivers have been moaning that they dont get a shot at F1 and especially at a america team like Haas.
The standard of driver in Indycar is much lower than F1.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid

The only half decent driver is Logan Sergeant in F3, but he's a long way away from being at the top level.

It seems americans would rather go the nascar/indycar route - most F1 drivers have to be european/Japanese based to really get noticed.

dinostar77

The standard of driver in Indycar is much lower than F1.
Is it though? Or is that just a european view? One of the greatest of his generation went over there for a few races i.e. alonso and he did just walk over the opposition in the races he took part in. He said indycar was tough.

dinostar77

The only half decent driver is Logan Sergeant in F3, but he's a long way away from being at the top level.

It seems americans would rather go the nascar/indycar route - most F1 drivers have to be european/Japanese based to really get noticed.
Probably cheaper to get into indycar and Nascar than F1. My point is liberty spend all this money. Make a show of we want "3/4 races in america" but dont have a america driver on the grid to draw more americans to F1.

Vandervort is only coming onto the calender because of verstappen. Apart from the core f1 tracks others come and go sometimes depending on if a driver of a certain nationality is on the grid and there is money to be made by hosting GPs in his home country.

F-Red

Make a show of we want "3/4 races in america" but dont have a america driver on the grid to draw more americans to F1.
Alexander Rossi ticked the box, but didn't really draw more Americans audience. I don't see a reason why simply because of a nationality then they get a chance at a seat. Haas have been open from day one that a driver needs to have been in some feeder series or development programme so that they can get up to speed with it quickly, even to the point of saying that "bringing on a driver who needs to learn about Formula 1 probably isn't the best thing for us or them".

As @Adam-Utd says, most American drivers prefer to go the Nascar/Indycar route, that's not a failing of Haas or F1 in a free market.

Adam-Utd

Probably cheaper to get into indycar and Nascar than F1. My point is liberty spend all this money. Make a show of we want "3/4 races in america" but dont have a america driver on the grid to draw more americans to F1.

Vandervort is only coming onto the calender because of verstappen. Apart from the core f1 tracks others come and go sometimes depending on if a driver of a certain nationality is on the grid and there is money to be made by hosting GPs in his home country.
It seems that a lot of american drivers would rather be big in indycar, than run in a back of the grid F1 car, I don't blame them really.

Unless you're guaranteed a successful car you probably don't want to throw away your chance of doing well in another sport, and i'm not sure they see f1 as glamorous as the rest of the world does?

Maybe they'll develop a top class driver that'll propel the sport in the future, but I think for now it'll just remain a sideshow for them.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It seems that a lot of american drivers would rather be big in indycar, than run in a back of the grid F1 car, I don't blame them really.

Unless you're guaranteed a successful car you probably don't want to throw away your chance of doing well in another sport, and i'm not sure they see f1 as glamorous as the rest of the world does?

Maybe they'll develop a top class driver that'll propel the sport in the future, but I think for now it'll just remain a sideshow for them.
That's it, isn't it. To be considered for an F1 team, you'd have to be a stand-out Indycar racer - and you'd still only get you started in a lower F1 team. You'd have really to believe in yourself to make it up into a top team soon and have the patience to see it happen, otherwise it won't be very attractive for someone who's on top in Indycar. I don't know how big F1 is in the US, but if it even has lower viewer numbers, then what's the attraction for the top US drivers, really?

Leg-End

Indycar just isn't on the same level as F1, it's not even really worth a debate, they are just very different series.

You can hardly use Alonso as a marking stick for the quality level, he did Indy exclusively. The cars are very different, the style of racing and circuits are different, no disrespect to it as a series because I do follow it, but for most of the world Indycar is where you go when you fail on the journey to F1. Loads of talent comes across seas to race in the UK feeder series because that is the natural stepping stone route to F1.

pauldyson1uk

The Azerbaijan GP scheduled for June 6 in Baku City has been confirmed by its organisers, but the sixth round of the 2021 F1 world championship will take place behind closed doors.

Baku was among the venues that was forced to scrap last year's event due to the coronavirus pandemic. This year's race has been given the green light for June 4-6, but no fans will be in attendance in the grandstands or around the scenic street circuit.

"This decision was taken in light of ongoing health and safety concerns caused by the coronavirus pandemic and comes after extensive deliberation between BCC and the Government of the Azerbaijan Republic, F1 and the FIA," the race's promoter said in a statement issued on Friday.

"While the global situation and pandemic response is continuing to improve, it has become clear that the 2021 Formula 1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix race weekend has arrived too soon for BCC to safely host the event with fans present."

pauldyson1uk

Williams has been forced to abandon the augmented reality app launch of its Williams FW43B 2021 Formula 1 car due to hacking.

The car was still revealed at 1400 UK time with rendered images being issued, but the app has been removed from the Apple App Store and Android Google Play store.

The augmented reality app allowed users to view the car either at full size or table-top size, with the interface allowing it to be viewed from any angle.

Mark Hughes: Williams is rebuilding, but won’t write 2021 off

But hacking has led to several leaks of images of the new car.

Leg-End

It's absolutely terrible, much like their actual performance will most likely be.

United Hobbit

Drive To Survive season 3 is out March 19th

I've never really thought about what a shit title that is.
Excellent, I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons, even my boyfriend, who wasn't interested in F1, really got into watching it and has started watching some of the races, just wish bar the rare occasion, the races were more competitive.

Tiber

Watched a bit of testing, bit dull to be honest. Whole track is covered by a sandstorm.

dinostar77

Chandook and Brundle think the new regs this season and the high rake of the RB and TR will favour them. Apparently if designing a car from scratch for this season, high rake is the way to go.

Lets see when we get to qually in a few weeks to find out if they are right.

Adam-Utd

Mclaren have done something a bit trick to get around the rear diffuser rules this year, might give them a slight downforce advantage in high speed corners. Interesting.

Not sure how easy / quick it'll be to copy for the other teams and whether it will even make that much of a difference, but it's generating a bit of excitement.

James Peril

Hamilton playing down himself and the car, tricking... uhm, absolutely nobody, easily winning the first race as his car is once again superior to all the others.

Adam-Utd

Hamilton playing down himself and the car, tricking... uhm, absolutely nobody, easily winning the first race as his car is once again superior to all the others.
They're obviously the favourites but Red Bull are going to be a lot closer this year, the whole pack will be IMO. I don't think he'll prance off into the distance like he has the last few years.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
They're obviously the favourites but Red Bull are going to be a lot closer this year, the whole pack will be IMO. I don't think he'll prance off into the distance like he has the last few years.
It does look like it could be a lot tighter. I expect Mercedes will get there in the end but McLaren, Red Bull, Aston Martin could take a few wins away from them this season

Tiber

I see that Saintz has spent most of the last two days spinning around In circles.

Somewhere out there Vettel is smiling and Binotto is wondering how he still has a job despite building undrivable cars

redshaw

Loved Murray's commentary and enthusiasm and what a great age and life he had. I was lucky to grow up with him commentating.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
I was very young when his commentating career was coming to an end but he still left a very strong impression. Very sad that he's gone because he seemed full of life. Legend.