F1 2021 Season

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
If Max wins here, it's a massive swing to Red Bull, this is a Mercedes track, unless Lewis is holding something back, there is a lot to make up.
Apparently RB have reduced the size of their rear wing because they have better mechanical grip.
As you say, this is going to be pretty significant.
About time that Mercedes were seriously challenged. Could easily be damage limitation for Lewis. But I would never bet against him

Leg-End

Fair to say, these cars are close now, Mercedes used to walk it here but the Red Bull is mega.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Disappointing performance from Mclaren in qualfying. They seem to have a better race car but Ferrari seem to have leapfrogged them in both areas now.

Tiber

Im quite surprised to see Red Bull in front at this dog shit track. Assumed it would suit the Mercs

Then again, Max is magic

dinostar77

RB were faster in the straights and had new engines for this gp. Running less downforce as the car has better mechanical grip than the mercs.

Inevitably since the rule changes for this season were done to stop merc dominance. Anyway its a long season. Lets hope it rains tomorrow that will be interesting, see how max holds off lewis in the rain.

French GP Qualifying Result

pauldyson1uk

French GP Qualifying Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Max VerstappenRed Bull1:29.990
2) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.258
3) Valtteri BottasMercedes+0.386
4) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.455
5) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.850
6) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+0.878
7) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.997
8) Lando NorrisMcLaren+1.262
9) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+1.350
10) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.392
Knocked out in Q2
11) Esteban OconAlpine1:31.736
12) Sebastian VettelAston Martin1:31.767
13) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo1:31.813
14) George RussellWilliams1:32.065
15) Mick SchumacherHaasNo Q2 time set
Knocked out in Q1
16) Nicholas LatifiWilliams1:33.062
17) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo1:33.354
18) Nikita MazepinHaas1:33.554
19) Lance StrollAston Martin2:12.584
20) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauriNo time set

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Aston Martin must be disappointed here. What happened with Stroll, anyway? Only did a slow lap before Q1 was red-flagged?

I continue to be impressed with Gasly. High performances with great consistency again this season.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Hard to judge given tsunida is a rookie. But I've also been impressed with Pierre. Great racecraft.

spontaneus1

Hamster, damn!
Aston Martin must be disappointed here. What happened with Stroll, anyway? Only did a slow lap before Q1 was red-flagged?

I continue to be impressed with Gasly. High performances with great consistency again this season.
First lap was ruined by red flag, he aborted his second lap due to traffic and then third lap was ruined by the 2nd red flag again.

pauldyson1uk

conditions for the race look, pretty cool, track temp is just 30 degrees, 20 less that qualifying, there maybe also so rain.
This should be a Mercedes track all day long , but Max looks to have it, Max wins here and he is clear favourite for this years WC.

United Hobbit

Did anyone see the interview with Toto on the channel 4 qualifying highlights?

It's the first interview I've seen where he suggests an alternative to Bottas (Russell) usually he staunchly supports Bottas

Think Botts has had a rocket up his backside this weekend....

I'd like to see Russell in the 2nd Mercedes, however if we do, I think it'll be a VERY clear contract he will be number 2 to Lewis they won't want them taking each other out. It'll do him good to work along Lewis and learn from him, ready to become number 1 (if good enough) when Lewis eventually steps away. I wish we could have seen Russell in the Mercedes for another race when Lewis had Covid, without any bad luck just to see if he was good enough.

dinostar77

conditions for the race look, pretty cool, track temp is just 30 degrees, 20 less that qualifying, there maybe also so rain.
This should be a Mercedes track all day long , but Max looks to have it, Max wins here and he is clear favourite for this years WC.
Still 16 races to go after todays gp. It could come to who takes the biggest hit on next seasons car by continuing to develop this years car. Both Merc and RB ideally dont want to keep throwing time and resources at this years car come September but they may have to.

dinostar77

Did anyone see the interview with Toto on the channel 4 qualifying highlights?

It's the first interview I've seen where he suggests an alternative to Bottas (Russell) usually he staunchly supports Bottas

Think Botts has had a rocket up his backside this weekend....

I'd like to see Russell in the 2nd Mercedes, however if we do, I think it'll be a VERY clear contract he will be number 2 to Lewis they won't want them taking each other out. It'll do him good to work along Lewis and learn from him, ready to become number 1 (if good enough) when Lewis eventually steps away. I wish we could have seen Russell in the Mercedes for another race when Lewis had Covid, without any bad luck just to see if he was good enough.
Now that RB have a solid no2 in Perez, Mercedes cant afford Bottas to have illudions of grandeur. For me its play the team game i.e. no2 to lewis or lose your seat.

Could be a nice card for russell to play to accept a no2 role for a season or two to learn from lewis, before he retires.

pauldyson1uk

Still 16 races to go after todays gp. It could come to who takes the biggest hit on next seasons car by continuing to develop this years car. Both Merc and RB ideally dont want to keep throwing time and resources at this years car come September but they may have to.
Quite a few teams have already put all in to 2022, I think RB and Merc still have something left in the tank for this season, but I do think your right, extra resources could be needed this season.
Mercedes and Lewis, will relish the challenge from RB , but behind close doors they will not be happy and asking how they have got in front.

pauldyson1uk

"The magic has been trimmed down a bit too much," says Lewis Hamilton on team radio, referencing Mercedes' changes for this weekend around that brake 'magic' button which we heard so much about at the last race in Azerbaijan.