F1 2021 Season

ChaddyP

There was a massive gap, should have been easy.There was a brief chance Perez might have received a penalty , maybe they thought he would and keep Bottas in 3rd.

They had the pitcrew out to do it - I think they held off on it because there was a steward investigation into Perez, so they wanted to keep Bottas close to him in case there was a time penalty that would let him back into 3rd.
was bottas even within a five second penalty gap?

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Exactly, Bottas just couldn’t do the job (again). You could write a list as long as your arm on his weak defence since he’s been in the Merc, it used to be Lewis just owning him but now others are close you can see it. What’s worse? Bottas is a whinge bag that hates being the wingman despite his talent level only being good enough for that.

Merc will gain nothing keeping Bottas in there, the guy won’t play ball, he knows he’s gone after this season and he’s the type that would rather look after himself than play the team game after all those years of it, his head is gone basically. Russell 12th in a shit box Williams, why wait? Get the next two out of the way (of which Red Bull will walk) and make the tough call, earn the money Toto.
What's the connection between Bottas not wanting to be nr.2 and how he races? It's not like he pulled over and waved Max and Perez through because he's sulking and I don't see what would change in his driving if he was Merc's obidient little puppet.

He's been Merc's nr.2 for 5 years now, he knows it, Merc knows it and we know it since he's been doing the job of the nr.2 in every single race he's not finished ahead of Lewis, which is pretty much all of them. Today he made a mistake when he chose to take a different line onto the dirty part of the track on ruined tires to protect his position and couldn't get the car turned in, but it's not like he would never have made that mistake if it was official that he truly is their nr.2 driver.

Couldn't it be as simple as - he's just not a great racer?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Just watching it again on C4 and on lap 31 Hamilton told his team, let's make sure that we pit first after Verstappen told the RB team that his tyres would not last.
And of course the RB team reacted first.
That was where the race was lost for Lewis.

United Hobbit

Bottas has been given every chance to challenge for a title most of the time, but hasn't got that ruthless instinct you can see in Lewis and Max.

Until now, he's been solid enough as a number 2, picking up a podium more often than not

Now, he's average at best, yes at times he's been unlucky, and yes like Max has in the past Lewis is getting more out a car that isn't as good as it has been in the past

I think it was telling how in that interview on the qualifying highlights, Toto said it will be Bottas OR George. Usually he just defends Bottas. Wonder if Bottas has been given a target that if he doesn't achieve he will be gone next year and the pressure is getting to him - previously because he's just plodded round picking up 2nd or 3rd and staying out Lewis way, they've left him alone, now they've lit a fire under him and he's crumbling with the pressure.

I'm not saying the team haven't messed up at times, but the last few races he's been way below average.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Bottas has been given every chance to challenge for a title most of the time, but hasn't got that ruthless instinct you can see in Lewis and Max.

Until now, he's been solid enough as a number 2, picking up a podium more often than not

Now, he's average at best, yes at times he's been unlucky, and yes like Max has in the past Lewis is getting more out a car that isn't as good as it has been in the past

I think it was telling how in that interview on the qualifying highlights, Toto said it will be Bottas OR George. Usually he just defends Bottas. Wonder if Bottas has been given a target that if he doesn't achieve he will be gone next year and the pressure is getting to him - previously because he's just plodded round picking up 2nd or 3rd and staying out Lewis way, they've left him alone, now they've lit a fire under him and he's crumbling with the pressure.

I'm not saying the team haven't messed up at times, but the last few races he's been way below average.
It is pretty easy to envisage that Mercedes must be getting very concerned about loosing the constructors WC.
And promoting the quicker Russell may well become a necessity.

Edit. And Bottas was passed by Perez - who only stopped once.

United Hobbit

It is pretty easy to envisage that Mercedes must be getting very concerned about loosing the constructors WC.
And promoting the quicker Russell may well become a necessity.

Edit. And Bottas was passed by Perez - who only stopped once.
Very good point, a promoted Russell would have a lot more to fight for than Bottas who's time is very close to being up

I'd like to see Russell in the 2nd Mercedes, it would be good to see what he can do with it.
Also, it would be a nice introduction to the Mercedes for Russell- he would be guaranteed 2nd driver this season so no expectation on him apart from helping Lewis out and getting on the podium.

Do we think they would let him race Hamilton next season? What if he's stronger than Lewis?

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Very good point, a promoted Russell would have a lot more to fight for than Bottas who's time is very close to being up

I'd like to see Russell in the 2nd Mercedes, it would be good to see what he can do with it.
Also, it would be a nice introduction to the Mercedes for Russell- he would be guaranteed 2nd driver this season so no expectation on him apart from helping Lewis out and getting on the podium.

Do we think they would let him race Hamilton next season? What if he's stronger than Lewis?
Well Mercedes always say that their drivers are allowed to race. So that would be a very interesting scenario.
I mean Russell is undoubtedly quick. But he would have to deal with the relentlessly fast Lewis Hamilton. And over a season, we have seen the pressure he puts on the whole team and especially the second driver.
Like many, I would love to see him in the team this year. But I would be surprised.

F-Red

Solid strategy from Red Bull today, Mercedes showing the cracks quite visibly now. Some awful calls from their strategy team today. I expect the next two GPs to be a great opportunity for Red Bull.

Tiber

Russell quietly had a good weekend. No points as usual, but 12th is a great result in that Williams

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Solid strategy from Red Bull today, Mercedes showing the cracks quite visibly now. Some awful calls from their strategy team today. I expect the next two GPs to be a great opportunity for Red Bull.
That is right. The unbreakable Mercedes seem to be cracking under the pressure from Red Bull.
And it is only the utter brilliance of Hamilton which is keeping them in the hunt.
The way he conducted himself after the race was pure class.
In complete contrast to Bottas and to a degree Toto Wolff. He needs to stop trying to wind up the RB team and concentrate on getting his team to wring out some more performance from the car and themselves.
Hamilton will do it but the team has to improve before it is too late.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
That is right. The unbreakable Mercedes seem to be cracking under the pressure from Red Bull.
And it is only the utter brilliance of Hamilton which is keeping them in the hunt.
In complete contrast to Bottas and to a degree Toto Wolff. He needs to stop trying to wind up the RB team and concentrate on getting his team to wring out some more performance from the car and themselves.
Load of tripe

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

Yep, utter class.

Blokes a fecking twat and you still need more evidence why people dont like him?

Balljy

Thinking back there has been multiple occasions over the past 3 or 4 seasons where Hamilton has been left out on the same tyres and just done enough to bring the car home. I'm not sure if the tactics have hugely changed, or whether Hamilton has managed to bring the result despite less than perfect tactical decisions.

Maybe now Red Bull have roughly an equal car those decisions are now showing up more rather than them being due to mistakes suddenly being made.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing

Yep, utter class.

Blokes a fecking twat and you still need more evidence why people dont like him?
What is wrong with that :confused: It wouldn't be bad under normal circumstances nevermind a minute after losing due to at least 2 bad calls.
He spoke highly of Max and his own team post race. Also Bottas spoke worse. Max and all the others do it to yet Hamilton is singled out.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Errr maricahi heads gone :lol: That post race team radio was composed as you like

F-Red

Thinking back there has been multiple occasions over the past 3 or 4 seasons where Hamilton has been left out on the same tyres and just done enough to bring the car home. I'm not sure if the tactics have hugely changed, or whether Hamilton has managed to bring the result despite less than perfect tactical decisions.

Maybe now Red Bull have roughly an equal car those decisions are now showing up more rather than them being due to mistakes suddenly being made.
Well the changes to the floor regulations has done what it intended to which is to slow down Mercedes. With the gaps now much closer, the calls on the pit wall are ever more visible as they're making a difference to the outcome of the race. Mercedes pit stop crew have never been the quickest, especially compared to Red Bull, however due to the close running of the cars it'll be the organisation of the pit stops that will determine the race result for a lot of the races this season. It was never an issue for Mercedes as they always had a comfortable gap up front. Other impacts to Mercedes has been wind tunnel time restrictions and one sole spec of engine.

Red Bull are interestingly keeping development going longer than Merc this year, so I don't expect to see any changes soon.

Errr maricahi heads gone :lol: That post race team radio was composed as you like
Hamilton lives in his head rent free. You only have to go back through every F1 season thread in this forum to see. Nothing contentious in radio messages, least of all both drivers' call being correct on a two stop being the quickest.

Leg-End

I just ignore any Hamilton related posts from him, have done for about 3 seasons, it ain’t worth it

Still love you Marchi.

pauldyson1uk

Pirelli has opted to supply F1 teams with two different selections of compounds for the pair of races that will take place at the Red Bull Ring in Austria.

For this week's Steiermark Grand Prix at Spielberg, Pirelli has nominated the C2, C3 and C4 compounds while its tyre selection will be one step softer for next week's Austrian Grand Prix.

Pirelli says the two different selections - an approach trialed at Silverstone's double-header last year - will create a differential between the two races that will provide a level of strategic variation.

"Once again after last year Austria hosts a back-to-back race, which means that the teams have plenty of data on this track and recent experience of how to deal with its particular challenges and tactics," explained Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola.

"However, having two different tyre nominations is a first for the Red Bull Ring, so it's going to be interesting to see how the teams get to grips with the softest C5 tyres for the second race weekend – and how the new selection influences strategy in order to create different opportunities compared to the preceding Steiermark Grand Prix."

fter the tyre drama that unfolded in Baku and the controversy surrounding pressures, there were no incidents to report last weekend in France, although there was plenty of complaining from teams about degradation and graining.

Aston Martin, whose driver Lance Stroll suffered a blowout in Azerbaijan, said that last weekend's trouble-free French Grand Prix will have hopefully "silenced" those who suspected Team Silverstone – and Red Bull Racing – of tampering with tyre pressures in Baku.

"In Paul Ricard, both of our drivers did long stints", said Aston team boss Otmar Szafnauer.

"Hopefully that will silence those who argued that we are somehow circumventing the regulations in terms of dealing with these tyres.

"We have never broken the rules and we will not. We just understand very well how to work with the tyres and in France we demonstrated this again.

"We followed the new technical directive but our tyres still worked well. Perhaps we should pay more attention to some of our opponents who lost pace and find out exactly what they were doing."

pauldyson1uk

What is wrong with that :confused: It wouldn't be bad under normal circumstances nevermind a minute after losing due to at least 2 bad calls.
He spoke highly of Max and his own team post race. Also Bottas spoke worse. Max and all the others do it to yet Hamilton is singled out.
Lewis is singled out all the time, OK so sometimes he brings it on himself, well most of the time, but I saw nothing wrong with this, he was calm.
After the race he had nothing but good words for Max, like you say Bottas was the one giving it out.
Lewis and Bottas were both screwed by the team.

pauldyson1uk

Helmut Marko confirmed that Red Bull has asked the FIA to inspect the front wing on Mercedes' W12 car to assess whether the aero element's flexibility complies with F1's regulations.

Red Bull was singled out after last month's Spanish Grand Prix after onboard footage showed the rear wing of its RB16B flexing significantly under load on Barcelona's main straight.

The footage prompted the FIA to introduce in France last weekend more stringent anti-flexing tests which all teams, including Red Bull, passed without any issues.

However, the Milton Keynes-based outfit now wants a rigorous test to be conducted on Mercedes' front wing following the dissemination of footage also showing the appendage flexing under load.

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner said that it only made sense for the FIA to scrutinize both rear and front wings on a car.

"We trust the FIA will police these things and of course you can't treat the wing in isolation," he said.

"You have to look at both front and rear wings and what applies to the rear one would assume will apply to the front as well."

Horner also said that the clampdowns enforced by the FIA at Paul Ricard proved conclusively that the strong performance of Red Bull's car was in no way linked to the RB16B's rear wing.

"A lot of comments have been made in the last few weeks," Horner said. "We’ve had accusations made.

"But we've complied with the rules and the way that we've reacted I think shows the strength and depth, that our performance isn't based on rear wing flexibility."

Leg-End

I don't think the straight is long enough before the first hairpin for those changes to make too much difference outside of Lap 1, but it's a positive change at least.

I think the change at the end of Sector 2 is positive though and we will probably see some good side by side action there now, the sector 3 changes are better to move away from the start/stop nature of it.

Positive I think but proof is in the racing.

dinostar77

Hamilton is negotiating a new deal with Mercedes. Wants Bottas to stay on as his teammate.

Leg-End

Hamilton is a prickly fecker at any mention of Russell, I get the impression he took it personally when he jumped in his seat for one race and nearly won.

I have no basis for that obviously other than the odd comment and I don’t think it’s a personal thing with Russell, I just don’t think Hamilton liked someone in “his” car.

pauldyson1uk

The FIA is set to slow down Formula 1 teams' ultra-fast pitstops from this summer's Hungarian GP on the grounds of safety.

Red Bull Racing's lightning fast crews have executed the fastest pitstop in every race this season except for the Emilia Romagna and Spanish GPs, getting the crucial exercise down to 1.98s on two occasions on race day.

But that has generated a few suspicions amongst its rivals who believe the bulls - yes, those raging bulls again - may not have added a level of automation to their procedures in a bid to shave a tenth of a second here and there.

F1's technical rules state that: "Any sensor systems may only act passively".

This article was brought to the attention of the teams in a new technical directive that will add a series of delays to each procedure to ensure that, for example, wheel nuts are fully fastened before each mechanic signals the completion of that procedure.

The minimum figures are 0.15s from a wheel nut being tightened to the jack man being told to drop the car, and 0.2s from the jacks going down to the driver receiving the green light.

Practically, if a mechanic, according to a sensor, signals the completion of a stage under the prescribed minimum time, the sensor will register the stage as invalid which will require the mechanic to repeat the action.

"For safety reasons we would furthermore expect the minimum time offset between the initiation of the jack release procedure and the OK signal to the driver given by the green light to be at least 0.2 seconds," states the technical directive.

The directive will apply from the Hungarian Grand Prix to allow teams to prepare for the new requirements.

pauldyson1uk

I don't think the straight is long enough before the first hairpin for those changes to make too much difference outside of Lap 1, but it's a positive change at least.

I think the change at the end of Sector 2 is positive though and we will probably see some good side by side action there now, the sector 3 changes are better to move away from the start/stop nature of it.

Positive I think but proof is in the racing.
I like the changes, I think they will improve racing quite a bit, agree about the first hairpin.

pauldyson1uk

Lewis with his new contract, not sure about the Bottas angle from him, maybe he is just looking out for a team mate?
I dont buy in to the, he does not want another good driver with him , far from it I think he would welcome it.
I get the , he did not like another driver in his car, I would be the same.
My feeling is that Bottas will not be at Merc next season and his team mate will be Russel.

dinostar77

The FIA is set to slow down Formula 1 teams' ultra-fast pitstops from this summer's Hungarian GP on the grounds of safety.

Red Bull Racing's lightning fast crews have executed the fastest pitstop in every race this season except for the Emilia Romagna and Spanish GPs, getting the crucial exercise down to 1.98s on two occasions on race day.

But that has generated a few suspicions amongst its rivals who believe the bulls - yes, those raging bulls again - may not have added a level of automation to their procedures in a bid to shave a tenth of a second here and there.

F1's technical rules state that: "Any sensor systems may only act passively".

This article was brought to the attention of the teams in a new technical directive that will add a series of delays to each procedure to ensure that, for example, wheel nuts are fully fastened before each mechanic signals the completion of that procedure.

The minimum figures are 0.15s from a wheel nut being tightened to the jack man being told to drop the car, and 0.2s from the jacks going down to the driver receiving the green light.

Practically, if a mechanic, according to a sensor, signals the completion of a stage under the prescribed minimum time, the sensor will register the stage as invalid which will require the mechanic to repeat the action.

"For safety reasons we would furthermore expect the minimum time offset between the initiation of the jack release procedure and the OK signal to the driver given by the green light to be at least 0.2 seconds," states the technical directive.

The directive will apply from the Hungarian Grand Prix to allow teams to prepare for the new requirements.
All abit pointless isnt it? After this season no one is going to be doing 2 second tyre changes with 18 inch tyres to swap on and off right? However if RB have been bending the rules again then good they are being called out.