F1 2021 Season

dinostar77

Red Bull is so dominant here, and unlike when Mercedes had this level, red bull only have one driver. If this continues it will be boring, with zero competition.
The season is done. Max will win every GP from now till end of season. Mercedes should completely stop development on the w12 and concentrate on next years car entirely.

keithsingleton

I am reading the same in quite a few places, along with lots of bullshit that Lewis is finished, he wont want Russell there, even one saying he had to pick between Russell and Norris !!!
I'd want Norris more than Russell. I've always thought Norris the better driver and have done for nearly two years.
What better compliment can you have when Hammy said on lap 22 Norris a great driver. Wish that was a hint for Norris coming rather the Russell.
When Hammy retires Lando will be my No1. I think he has what it takes to be a world champion.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
I'd want Norris more than Russell. I've always thought Norris the better driver and have done for nearly two years.
What better compliment can you have when Hammy said on lap 22 Norris a great driver. Wish that was a hint for Norris coming rather the Russell.
When Hammy retires Lando will be my No1. I think he has what it takes to be a world champion.
Lando's younger as well

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
The season is done. Max will win every GP from now till end of season. Mercedes should completely stop development on the w12 and concentrate on next years car entirely.
Lets see how it goes in the next race, if RB win it with ease then yeah, it's over for Merc this season and I can see the development moving to next years car.

dinostar77

Lando has signed a multi year deal with mclaren. As great as russell has been with williams there is the flip side of the coin that he joins Mercedes and get his confidence destroyed by being teammate to Lewis.

The other way of looking at it is, that russell might push lewis the way that rosberg did and bottas isnt doing.

Lando for me at present does indeed look like a future world champion.

Congratulations to FIA, they wanted stop Mercedes dominance and managed it by neutering the Mercedes car.

dinostar77

Lets see how it goes in the next race, if RB win it with ease then yeah, it's over for Merc this season and I can see the development moving to next years car.
The Silverstone parts were in the pipeline for awhile. Wind tunnel time for the current car has completely stopped which is not good for the fans if max is alone outfront with no competition from a teammate or even lewis.

keithsingleton

Lando has signed a multi year deal with mclaren. As great as russell has been with williams there is the flip side of the coin that he joins Mercedes and get his confidence destroyed by being teammate to Lewis.

The other way of looking at it is, that russell might push lewis the way that rosberg did and bottas isnt doing.

Lando for me at present does indeed look like a future world champion.

Congratulations to FIA, they wanted stop Mercedes dominance and managed it by neutering the Mercedes car.
Yeah I know was sick when I heard about it.

Thing is with Lando he isn't frightened (( unlike Bottas )) of going head to head with any driver such is his confidence.

Your spot on with the FIA, what makes it worse is they now have the same problem and made RB unbeatable with the knew rule changes. Fcuking pr!cks

Fluctuation0161

Not often enough. 6-3 to Hamilton in quali. Bottas has been completely off the pace twice, Imola and Baku, Hamilton only once in Monaco. When Hamilton beats Bottas it's usually wel within 0.15. That's easily enough to beat Bottas for the WC in a very superior car, it's not enough to beat a very quick driver in a car that's almost as good. Allthough heavily criticized, it's Bottas that is showing it's Hamilton who's not performing well enough, not Mercedes.
Rubbish. Bottas is so unreliable, he lacks consistency and in most cases quality/ results. 6-3 is a big difference. Would be even bigger if you look over his whole time at Mercedes.

Again, strange point to make when the numbers don't fit your argument. Maybe it is a sympton of short termism, looking at the current weekend rather the the bigger picture?

dinostar77

The Hamilton fans complaining about the FAI :lol::lol::lol:
Not at all. Complaining that FIA robbed us of what could have been a titanic season between two equally matched cars.

This seasons RB and last season Mercedes with subtle evolution for this season could have been amazing. Unnecessary regulation changes the season before the biggest changes in f1 for 30 years.

dinostar77

Dr. Funkenstein said:
Not often enough. 6-3 to Hamilton in quali. Bottas has been completely off the pace twice, Imola and Baku, Hamilton only once in Monaco. When Hamilton beats Bottas it's usually wel within 0.15. That's easily enough to beat Bottas for the WC in a very superior car, it's not enough to beat a very quick driver in a car that's almost as good. Allthough heavily criticized, it's Bottas that is showing it's Hamilton who's not performing well enough, not Mercedes.
Rubbish. Bottas is so unreliable, he lacks consistency and in most cases quality/ results. 6-3 is a big difference. Would be even bigger if you look over his whole time at Mercedes.

Again, strange point to make when the numbers don't fit your argument. Maybe it is a sympton of short termism, looking at the current weekend rather the the bigger picture?

Hamilton is pushing the Mercedes to its absolute limits to the point where bottas cant keep up. Anyone who says hamilton isnt performing is delusional.

pauldyson1uk

Hamilton is pushing the Mercedes to its absolute limits to the point where bottas cant keep up. Anyone who says hamilton isnt performing is delusional.
Totally agree, the rule change has hammered Mercedes, that is clear, all well nearly all effort going into next year's car also pretty clear.
Today would have been second if not for damage.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I wonder who the best driver on the grid actually is.

Red bull dominated with Vettel
Mercs dominated with Hamilton
Red Bull have the better car and Verstappen dominating

Leclerc shows he over performed in a poor car
Russell was a car fault away from proving he'd win in the best car
Lando looking a great prospect compared to his supposed rivals

dinostar77

In terms of the young guys Max is the most talented. Then probably Lando, Russell and Sainz are all ahead of Leclerc.
Its impossible to tell, put max in the ferrari developed for leclercs driving style or leclerc in the mclaren developed for landos driving style or lando in the RB developed for maxs driving style. Just impossible.

Of the older generation its definitely Alonso and Hamilton. Of this newer generation from what we've seen its max, lando and leclerc.

Next season might be the best in f1 history, reduced wake from the back of the cars so hopefully the real talented racers should shine.

Hephaestus

Latifi, Leclerc, Sainz, Mazepin, Giovannazi, Ricciardo, Gasly and Perez have been summoned to the stewards for not respecting double waved yellows. Add in Kimi/Vettel for their crash (was on Kimi IMO) and Russell for moving under braking and about half the grid might be getting penalties post-race...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
My thoughts too upgrades for Sliverstone but doubt they will make much difference
It just goes to show that in F1, even in a static year for regulations, if you are not going forward, you are going backwards.
And I don't believe all this so called rumours about Lewis.
The struggles this season will only make him more determined.

Balljy

Its impossible to tell, put max in the ferrari developed for leclercs driving style or leclerc in the mclaren developed for landos driving style or lando in the RB developed for maxs driving style. Just impossible.

Of the older generation its definitely Alonso and Hamilton. Of this newer generation from what we've seen its max, lando and leclerc.

Next season might be the best in f1 history, reduced wake from the back of the cars so hopefully the real talented racers should shine.
Dropping Russell into a car designed for Hamilton and trouncing Bottas after a few hours driving it says that we can't really measure him yet due to being at Williams. He would have won that race if it weren't for the team / car. It'll be interesting what he can do in a Mercedes.

pauldyson1uk

It just goes to show that in F1, even in a static year for regulations, if you are not going forward, you are going backwards.
I dont believe a single word of it, I agree it will make him more determined.
Red bull have benefited from the rules change.

dinostar77

How has this season been static for regulations when massive changes have been enforced on the teams regarding rear downforce from floor amd diffuser etc.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders

Over the limits today appearently and damaged his aero. I don't believe I made myself clear, I'm not claiming Bottas matches Hamilton, I'm saying that Hamilton letting Bottas get this close or even ahead in some instances, means he doesn't get near the maximum of the car enough. Because Bottas really isn't that good or quick, as we seem to agree on.

Take Monaco for example, Bottas was about 2 tenths from pole and could have another shot. On such a driver's circuit you might expect a great driver to be at least 2 tenths quicker. But he's half a second slower, Mercedes messes up Bottas' race again and all the Hamilton fans including the media act like the Mercedes was poor at Monaca. The team was, Hamilton was, but the car wasn't. Finally this season Hamilton can prove he makes the difference now the cars are closely matched, and he fails to do so. Verstappen does, that explains the difference in points, which would have been much greater without Hamilton's pure luck.

They're unbelievable.

dinostar77

Over the limits today appearently and damaged his aero. I don't believe I made myself clear, I'm not claiming Bottas matches Hamilton, I'm saying that Hamilton letting Bottas get this close or even ahead in some instances, means he doesn't get near the maximum of the car enough. Because Bottas really isn't that good or quick, as we seem to agree on.

Take Monaco for example, Bottas was about 2 tenths from pole and could have another shot. On such a driver's circuit you might expect a great driver to be at least 2 tenths quicker. But he's half a second slower, Mercedes messes up Bottas' race again and all the Hamilton fans including the media act like the Mercedes was poor at Monaca. The team was, Hamilton was, but the car wasn't. Finally this season Hamilton can prove he makes the difference now the cars are closely matched, and he fails to do so. Verstappen does, that explains the difference in points, which would have been much greater without Hamilton's pure luck.

They're unbelievable.
Dude if thats what you think then fair enough. The rest of the world and the commentors on SkyF1 think Hamilton is driving the wheels off his Mercedes to try to close the deficit to RB and doing a pretty good job. We all see it, Mercedes have been neutered by regulations and Hamilton is going to the limits. Bottas can match Hamilton over a single lap but he cant consistently do it over a race on most occasions never mind over a season.

Put verstappen in this years Mercedes and he wouldnt have done any better than lewis. Lewis is extracting the maximum out of the car at present. There is room for improvement but Mercedes as a organisation need to figure out how to unlock the absolute entire potential of that car. Not easy thing to do.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
How has this season been static for regulations when massive changes have been enforced on the teams regarding rear downforce from floor amd diffuser etc.
Ok. There were changes to the floor configuration which has affected Mercedes and Aston Martin the most.
But what I was referring to was that the major design changes that were going to happen in 2021 are now happening next year.
But of course, you knew that didn't you.

pauldyson1uk

Kimi Raikkonen has been handed a penalty for his last-lap crash with Sebastian Vettel at the Austrian GP, while eight drivers have been cleared by FIA stewards after more than half the F1 grid were under investigation following the race.

Stewards added 20 seconds onto Raikkonen's race time - which still leaves him 16th - and handed him two penalty points, while Nicholas Latifi and Nikita Mazepin were also penalised after the late drama on Sunday.

Latifi (15th) and Mazepin (19th) were alleged to have driven too quickly under double-waved yellows following Raikkonen and Vettel's peculiar collision, with both drivers picking up 30-second post-race penalties.

Six other drivers - Carlos Sainz (5th), Sergio Perez (6th), Daniel Ricciardo (7th), Charles Leclerc (8th), Pierre Gasly (9th), Antonio Giovinazzi (14th) - were also summoned to stewards for the same alleged offence but were cleared of wrongdoing, with the final race result now confirmed.

In total, 11 drivers were called to the FIA stewards - with Vettel summoned and cleared, while George Russell also escaped punishment after an investigation into his late defence for 10th from Fernando Alonso.

Austrian GP Result

pauldyson1uk

PostionDriver NumberTeamGridPitsFastest LapRace TimePoints
1Max Verstappen33Red Bull12
fastest overall lap 1:06.200
1:23:54.54326
2Valtteri Bottas77Mercedes511:08.37417.973 behind18
3Lando Norris4McLaren211:08.47120.019 behind15
4Lewis Hamilton44Mercedes421:08.12646.452 behind12
5Carlos Sainz Jnr55Ferrari1011:07.76257.144 behind10
6Sergio Perez11Red Bull311:08.19257.915 behind8
7Daniel Ricciardo3McLaren1311:08.8201:00.395 behind6
8Charles Leclerc16Ferrari1211:08.6981:01.195 behind4
9Pierre Gasly10AlphaTauri621:08.1461:01.844 behind2
10Fernando Alonso14Alpine1411:08.4051 lap behind1
11George Russell63Williams811:08.9001 lap behind0
12Yuki Tsunoda22AlphaTauri721:08.4551 lap behind0
13Lance Stroll18Aston Martin921:08.6591 lap behind0
14Antonio Giovinazzi99Alfa Romeo1521:09.0421 lap behind0
15Kimi Raikkonen7Alfa Romeo1611:08.5201 lap behind0
16Nicholas Latifi6Williams1811:08.8741 lap behind0
17Sebastian Vettel5Aston Martin1131:08.4202 laps behind0
18Mick Schumacher47Haas1911:09.3942 laps behind+0
19Nikita Mazepin9Haas2021:09.7572 laps behind0
not classifiedEsteban Ocon31Alpine17not available-did not finish completed 0 0

Drivers and Constructors after Race 9

pauldyson1uk

Driver Standings
RankDriverTeamWinsPoints
1Max VerstappenRed Bull5182
2Lewis HamiltonMercedes3150
3Sergio PerezRed Bull1104
4Lando NorrisMcLaren0101
5Valtteri BottasMercedes092
6Charles LeclercFerrari062
7Carlos Sainz Jr.Ferrari060
8Daniel RicciardoMcLaren040
9Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri039
10Sebastian VettelAston Martin030
11Fernando AlonsoAlpine020
12Lance StrollAston Martin014
13Esteban OconAlpineAlpine012
14Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri09
15Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo01
16Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo01
17George RussellWilliams00
18Mick SchumacherHaas00
19Nikita MazepinHaas00
20Nicholas LatifiWilliams00

Constructors

RankTeamWinsPoints
1Red Bull6286
2Mercedes3242
3McLaren0141
4Ferrari0122
5AlphaTauri048
6Aston Martin044
7Alpine032
8Alfa Romeo02
9Williams00
10Haas00

Fantasy League 2021 after Race 9

pauldyson1uk

Hamilton Academical still top with reduced lead of 23 points down from 31 points last week.
Good week for Toyoda jumps from 4th to 2nd .

1st
senorgregster​
956​
X
2nd
venkman​
933​
X
3rd
emm​
EMM
932​
X
4th
chaddyp​
913​
X
5th
manoucha​
909​
X
6th
mtf​
849​
X
7th
leg-end7​
847​
X
8th
coleworld​
846​
X
9th
christy87​
841​
X
10th
impulse​
829​
X
11th
pauldyson1uk​
829​
X
12th
vangagal​
827​
X
13th
jtw95​
823​
X
14th
tiber​
812​
X
15th
evan7788​
803​
X
16th
20solskjaer​
721​
X
17th
dargonk​
699​
X
18th
f-red​
686​
X
19th
dpansheth​
Rock
447​
X

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Not at all. Complaining that FIA robbed us of what could have been a titanic season between two equally matched cars.

This seasons RB and last season Mercedes with subtle evolution for this season could have been amazing. Unnecessary regulation changes the season before the biggest changes in f1 for 30 years.
Mercedes have taken pole and won almost every race for 7 years straight, just because it's only one year until the big rule change doesn't make these changes unnecessary, it only makes them late imo.

As for robbing us of a title fight, there's no way FIA can know how much the teams will gain/lose with rules X or Y, it's only a coincidence that RB made such a big leap the same year FIA introduced rules to slow down the Merc. You could argue however that FIA has robbed us of a proper title fight for the past 4-5 years since it took them forever to do anything about Merc's dominance, but I'm guessing that one is a bit easier to look past if you want Lewis to win. :p

Fluctuation0161

Mercedes have taken pole and won almost every race for 7 years straight, just because it's only one year until the big rule change doesn't make these changes unnecessary, it only makes them late imo.

As for robbing us of a title fight, there's no way FIA can know how much the teams will gain/lose with rules X or Y, it's only a coincidence that RB made such a big leap the same year FIA introduced rules to slow down the Merc. You could argue however that FIA has robbed us of a proper title fight for the past 4-5 years since it took them forever to do anything about Merc's dominance, but I'm guessing that one is a bit easier to look past if you want Lewis to win. :p
What a strange coincidence. Yeah right :lol:

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
Dude if thats what you think then fair enough. The rest of the world and the commentors on SkyF1 think Hamilton is driving the wheels off his Mercedes to try to close the deficit to RB and doing a pretty good job.
The rest of the world of the rest of the only English speaking world? You didn't notice Sky and even the podium interviewers are part of the Hamilton fanclub yet?

We all see it, Mercedes have been neutered by regulations and Hamilton is going to the limits.
His limits, I agree the rule change affected the high rake cars a bit less. But it's still a car even Bottas can get on pole.

Bottas can match Hamilton over a single lap but he cant consistently do it over a race on most occasions never mind over a season.
Talking about sky, beforehand they were absolutely sure Bottas wouldn't get nowhere near Hamilton, just like they were sure Rosberg wouldn't stand a chance against Hamilton before, or was that BBC, or both? With Button before the same, but Button actually beat Hamilton over the years togehter. They al seem to suffer from a typical British form of denial in which such overestimations don't result in the conclusion that they overestimated their favourite. Also very funny is the argument that goes around that Hamilton is so good that he beat a world champion in Rosberg, like this formerly not so highly revered driver didn't beat Hamilton to become world champion.

Put verstappen in this years Mercedes and he wouldnt have done any better than lewis. Lewis is extracting the maximum out of the car at present.
Stating it as a fact doesn't change the fact that you simply don't know just like I don't know. All we can do is estimate. Based on the assumption that Bottas and Perez are in the same class i'd say Verstappen is doing quite a bit better.
There is room for improvement but Mercedes as a organisation need to figure out how to unlock the absolute entire potential of that car. Not easy thing to do.
There were at least three times Hamilton didn't get the maximum out of the car because Bottas got more out of it. I think I'm pretty realistic about it, the same with Button and Rosberg, if we see something extra special, one car very fast and much faster than the teammate, we know it's most likely Hamilton. He can do things his teammates since Alonso can't. The point is, I haven't seen much of that this season, the season finally where he actually needs it. Not this weekend, not last weekend, not in France, Baku was a bit of vintage Hamilton from his Mclaren days, not in Monaco, certainly not in Imola. Now is the season for greatness, instead of just beating a replacement driver, now is his chance to show something extra special we know is in him regularly and make it count. Then he might still lose but greatness can also be in the fight he puts up. But I don't see it. I see him blaming the car like in his old Mclaren days, I see him accusing Red Bull, I see him getting lucky, I see him trying to play mind games unsuccessfully, I see him making errors, but I don't see him delivering on his potential to do something extra special and I don't see him annihilating the not so very good Bottas in the process.

This is the career defining season, finally he can show it wasn't all about the Mercedes, and he's only got a bit more than half a season left.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Aye, you'd think they'd be a bit more humble given the free ride Mercedes got for 7-8 years while they had one of the biggest advantages i've ever seen an F1 team be allowed to keep in that engine.

Meanwhile Williams of 92, Ferrari of 2004, Brawn of 2009, all get punished for unbridled success with bullshit reg changes as soon as they look too dominant...

If anything, cracks are starting to show in the whole Mercedes operation that when they dont have a huge car advantage, they're not quite as good as they made out.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster

This

The Hilton

This is the career defining season, finally he can show it wasn't all about the Mercedes, and he's only got a bit more than half a season left.
This just simply isn't true. The 2 previous seasons were all about the Mercedes, but Hamilton's career defining season was a couple before, going toe to toe with Vettel, the other 4 time champion, who was in a Ferrari that was superior for most of the season, and coming out on top.

This season he's in a car that simply can't keep up, it's been Max's title since the rule change to neuter the Merc.

It's beyond obvious you don't like Hamilton, and that's your perogative, but the way you downplay his achievements is unfortunately just laughable. Rate him or not, you don't win all those titles by accident.