F1 2021 Season

Zlaatan

Parody Account
You've gone from Merc having "almost every" win and pole, to 80%, to less than that in the space of 3 posts, have been pretending 17 & 18 seasons didn't happen, understating the importance of Hamilton in the Merc success, and have the audacity to say I'm having a mare when you're accusing anyone of disagreeing with the FIA neutering the Merc of being biased. Pot kettle black.

It is indeed the exact same procession, Red Bull are so far ahead and Mercedes are focusing mostly on next year, unless their upgrades include a warp drive it won't get them any closer. Fair play to RB and Max though, they're relentlessly pressing their advantage now.
Yes because in my world winning 7.8/10 or 8/10 races does represent 'almost every'. This isn't as controversial as you want it to be.

How did I pretend the 17 season didn't happen? I've already adressed the 18 season but apparently that didn't count. I didn't underestimate Hamilton's importance because his role is irrelevant to the points I've made so I never even mentioned it, for the record I believe he's been the best driver on the grid since 2014 but just because I haven't spelled that out for you in detail doesn't mean I've underestimated his importance or overestimated something else.

I'm also not sure how I'm biased, you say I'm biased against Merc but reading back my posts all I've done is argue that they've completely dominated for 7 years straight, that I wish they were closer to RB right now and that I still haven't ruled out Lewis winning the title this season.

Your last two posts have been the equivalence of throwing as much shit at the wall as possible just to see what sticks. Unless you're going to argue against the statements I'm actually making and not simply assume my position because you think I'm pretending something never happened I don't really see the point of all this.

pauldyson1uk

few more details about the Sprint at Sliverstone.

A couple of concerns over the parc fermé regulations as the hands-off period for teams will start a day earlier, or before qualifying on Friday.
Several teams routinely conduct on Friday evening an operation called clutch shimming that extends the life of a clutch for the remainder of the weekends.
But if certain teams - namely Alpine, McLaren, Aston Martin and Alfa Romeo - cannot conduct the task due to parc fermé rules, they could be forced to forego the Saturday FP2 session in order to reduce mileage.

Other teams that use clutches that have a longer lifespan would therefore hold an advantage.
But in the meeting it was agreed that there would be no exemption for clutch shimming during parc fermé, but a team will be allowed to fit a new clutch if it can present data to the FIA that indicates excessive wear. It was also be obligated to hand over its old clutch to the governing body to prove that the change was necessary.

A second point of concern for teams was the ability to change a car's underside plank before qualifying in order to avoid a penalty for excessive wear.
But the FIA has stood by its initial parc fermé rule, meaning teams will not be able to change the plank after Friday's qualifying.

Finally, F1 boss Ross Brawn revealed that sprint qualifying winners will be officially credited with pole position in F1's historical statistics.
The initial plan was to consider the driver who was fastest in Friday's qualifying session as the official pole winner.
"I probably have to correct something I've said before because initially we thought it would still be the Friday qualifying," Brawn said when queried on the issue this week.
"But, in fact, after discussions with the FIA, they feel pole position is the guy in front of the grid for the grand prix.
“So it's the person who finishes a sprint in first place, it's the one who is on the front of the grid and has pole position for the race, the grand prix, on a Sunday. And that's what we'll count statistically towards the number of poles, because it is the sprint qualifying.
"That's one of the reasons the FIA want it covered that way, so that we can ensure that the race is the race, the grand prix is the grand prix. And we don't cannibalise the grand prix."

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
few more details about the Sprint at Sliverstone.

A couple of concerns over the parc fermé regulations as the hands-off period for teams will start a day earlier, or before qualifying on Friday.
Several teams routinely conduct on Friday evening an operation called clutch shimming that extends the life of a clutch for the remainder of the weekends.
But if certain teams - namely Alpine, McLaren, Aston Martin and Alfa Romeo - cannot conduct the task due to parc fermé rules, they could be forced to forego the Saturday FP2 session in order to reduce mileage.

Other teams that use clutches that have a longer lifespan would therefore hold an advantage.
But in the meeting it was agreed that there would be no exemption for clutch shimming during parc fermé, but a team will be allowed to fit a new clutch if it can present data to the FIA that indicates excessive wear. It was also be obligated to hand over its old clutch to the governing body to prove that the change was necessary.

A second point of concern for teams was the ability to change a car's underside plank before qualifying in order to avoid a penalty for excessive wear.
But the FIA has stood by its initial parc fermé rule, meaning teams will not be able to change the plank after Friday's qualifying.

Finally, F1 boss Ross Brawn revealed that sprint qualifying winners will be officially credited with pole position in F1's historical statistics.
The initial plan was to consider the driver who was fastest in Friday's qualifying session as the official pole winner.
"I probably have to correct something I've said before because initially we thought it would still be the Friday qualifying," Brawn said when queried on the issue this week.
"But, in fact, after discussions with the FIA, they feel pole position is the guy in front of the grid for the grand prix.
“So it's the person who finishes a sprint in first place, it's the one who is on the front of the grid and has pole position for the race, the grand prix, on a Sunday. And that's what we'll count statistically towards the number of poles, because it is the sprint qualifying.
"That's one of the reasons the FIA want it covered that way, so that we can ensure that the race is the race, the grand prix is the grand prix. And we don't cannibalise the grand prix."
It just sounds shit doesn't it. Confusing it all for no reason at a time when F1 newcomers are booming.

Sprint races aren't going to be much of a sprint when Verstappen ends up 20+ seconds ahead. Reverse grid from championship points was a way better idea.

pauldyson1uk

It just sounds shit doesn't it. Confusing it all for no reason at a time when F1 newcomers are booming.

Sprint races aren't going to be much of a sprint when Verstappen ends up 20+ seconds ahead. Reverse grid from championship points was a way better idea.
I am on the fence about it to be honest, it sounds like a nightmare, but willing to see how it works.

The Hilton

Yes because in my world winning 7.8/10 or 8/10 races does represent 'almost every'. This isn't as controversial as you want it to be.

How did I pretend the 17 season didn't happen? I've already adressed the 18 season but apparently that didn't count. I didn't underestimate Hamilton's importance because his role is irrelevant to the points I've made so I never even mentioned it, for the record I believe he's been the best driver on the grid since 2014 but just because I haven't spelled that out for you in detail doesn't mean I've underestimated his importance or overestimated something else.

I'm also not sure how I'm biased, you say I'm biased against Merc but reading back my posts all I've done is argue that they've completely dominated for 7 years straight, that I wish they were closer to RB right now and that I still haven't ruled out Lewis winning the title this season.

Your last two posts have been the equivalence of throwing as much shit at the wall as possible just to see what sticks. Unless you're going to argue against the statements I'm actually making and not simply assume my position because you think I'm pretending something never happened I don't really see the point of all this.
Multiple posters have stated their displeasure with the FIA's rule changes this season that were introduced to slow down Mercedes, stating specifically that they've ruined a potentially great championship battle, and you've accused them of being salty Hamilton fans.

You've also defended the rule change by pretending that Merc have had the best car for 7 seasons in a row, which isn't true as they were behind Ferrari for a couple, as well as pretending this season isn't a procession for Max, which is just insulting everyone's intelligence.

In fairness I was attributing some of the anti Hamilton vitriol from other posters to you as well, so I'll take back the anti Hamilton accusation with an apology. Our disagreement comes down to whether the rule change was a good idea - I said previously that, with hindsight, it's probably a bad one.

You have used a lot of hyperbole to back up your defence of the rule change, some examples being:

Mercedes have taken pole and won almost every race for 7 years straight
robbed us of a proper title fight for the past 4-5 years
half a title fight between two different teams since 2012.
You downplay the Merc/Ferrari battles to the point of silliness, and that (along with accusing anyone who doesn't agree with you of being biased towards Hamilton) undermines any points you make in your posts.

Xeno

The Merc should be better around Silverstone. Recent tracks have definitely suited the RB. It's probably a quicker car regardless.

F-Red

I don't see Mercedes being better round Silverstone to be honest, putting upgrades to one side for a moment. The change in floor regulations has given them a very unstable rear this year, and Silverstone relies on strong rear downforce through sector 2, and then a skinny rear wing to exploit the long straights. Red Bull have managed to run much leaner ring wing this year helping the top speeds. This combined with improvements from Exxon Mobil on the lubricants have allowed Red Bull to turn the engine up and run hotter from France onwards.

Unless the upgrades are significant, I think the Red Bulls will still retain a similar gap to what we saw in Austria.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thank you
The Merc is Verstappen's personal car basically, and is notorious for being a bit difficult for drivers not used to it. Perez has done a fantastic job considering how awful Max's previous teammates have been!

Plus last season the Merc was so far ahead of the field that most people on this forum would have finished in the points driving it!
Ah ok that makes sense

dinostar77

Taken from bbc article...

"...there is no doubting Red Bull have made a significant step forward with their car in recent races, with developments to the floor, diffuser, front wing, nose and barge boards, and Mercedes have brought none.

There will be some Mercedes upgrades at Silverstone, although Bottas said he thought they might be the last ones. A lot is hanging on them..."

dinostar77

Not sure about this for Sliverstone, just seems like an unnecessary messing with something that did not need messing with.

So what happens to qualifying?
The one-hour session, split into three segments, that has yielded plenty of drama in recent years, will still a big part of the show. However, it will move to Friday, giving the first day of track action some gravitas and a crescendo event.

The plan is to move the session later in the day, to make it easier for fans who are working to watch the session.

The tyre rules will change for this session, with only soft tyres permitted. As a result, teams and drivers will be free to start Sunday’s race on any compound, rather than having to run the tyre they qualify on in Q2.

Sprint Qualifying will be a race run over 100km and lasting around 25-30 minutes. It is designed to provide a short and fast-paced racing spectacle – similar to a Twenty20 cricket match – with drivers racing flat-out from start to finish without the need to pit.

Points will be awarded to the top three finishers, three for the winner down to one point for third. There won’t be a podium ceremony, as that honour will remain the privilege of the top three in Sunday’s Grand Prix, however the winner will get a trophy in Parc Ferme, presented in a similar manner to the tyre the pole-sitter currently from F1’s tyre supplier Pirelli after qualifying now.

The finishing order of the race will define the grid for Sunday’s showpiece event – the Grand Prix, where the traditional format will remain unchanged.

And what about practice?
There will be just two practice sessions during the weekend, each lasting one hour.

The first will take place on Friday, later in the day than usual given qualifying is likely to be pushed back in the schedule.

Here teams may use any two sets of their weekend allocation of 12, which has been reduced by one set because there is reduced running in total over the three days, aside from the sets they must put aside for qualifying (five sets of softs) and the race (two sets, free choice).

It is thought the teams will use the harder compound to get their basic set-up and potentially one soft as they start to look at performance.

What if it's wet?
If FP1 or Qualifying is held in wet conditions, teams will be given an additional set of intermediates tyres, but must then return a used set of those before Sprint Qualifying.

If Sprint Qualifying is wet, the teams may return one set of used or intermediate tyres afterwards, to be replaced with a new set.
What an absolutely unnecessary clusterfeck of an idea.

So instead of looking forward to qualifying at Silverstone where Mercedes are bringing some desperately needed updates and we get to see how fast the Mercedes are verses RB over a flying lap we get this mess.

Edit: my bad, to add to my confusion qualifying is on Friday now so will decide the grid for the sprint qualifying which will decide the grid for the race on sunday.

Why? Why do they have to mess about with something that just works and has worked for years?

dinostar77

This thread really is garbage sometimes. The anti Lewis crap that gets pedalled without foundation is worrying.
It pisses me off that city and Liverpool won’t the league, but I’m not going to make shit up to try and say they didn’t deserve it.

Lewis is a generational driver. That’s why he’s been in the fastest and best car for so long.

Max looks like he has the potential to be the next generational driver. It’s working for him this year certainly.

These are not mutually exclusive statements. Stop embarrassing yourselves.
Well said. This thread at times is as pathetic as the Ronaldo v Messi thread.

Fluctuation0161

I hate these arguments, but a prime Alonso met a young and inexperienced Hamilton in the same car and got the same points tally (109) with Hamilton edging it on poles by 6 to 2?

I really rate Alonso by the way, but there's no way you can be so definitive about that statement.
Totally agree. Some of the anti Hamilton posts in here are hilariously inaccurate.

Although, to be clear, I do rate Alonso as a top driver.

F-Red

Why? Why do they have to mess about with something that just works and has worked for years?
To stimulate entertainment on the Friday which in turns help promoters sell three day tickets. Feedback from promoters is a reduction in costs as Friday doesn't bring in any revenue for a practice day, so they're looking at different ways to justify the race fee and grow more revenue for both the promoters and themselves longer term.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Multiple posters have stated their displeasure with the FIA's rule changes this season that were introduced to slow down Mercedes, stating specifically that they've ruined a potentially great championship battle, and you've accused them of being salty Hamilton fans.

You've also defended the rule change by pretending that Merc have had the best car for 7 seasons in a row, which isn't true as they were behind Ferrari for a couple, as well as pretending this season isn't a procession for Max, which is just insulting everyone's intelligence.

In fairness I was attributing some of the anti Hamilton vitriol from other posters to you as well, so I'll take back the anti Hamilton accusation with an apology. Our disagreement comes down to whether the rule change was a good idea - I said previously that, with hindsight, it's probably a bad one.

You have used a lot of hyperbole to back up your defence of the rule change, some examples being:

You downplay the Merc/Ferrari battles to the point of silliness, and that (along with accusing anyone who doesn't agree with you of being biased towards Hamilton) undermines any points you make in your posts.
I ask you to "argue against the statements I'm actually making" and you fail in your first sentence. I haven't been close to accusing anyone of being a salty fan or that anyone who disagrees with me is biased in any way. I genuinly don't understand where you get all these things from but it's quite clear that it's not from reading my posts.

The most baffling part though is that you think that the things I never said undermines any other points I make...
I don't even know how to respond to that. It's the most 4D chess type strawman argument I've ever heard.

So I'm done. Have a good night.

The Hilton

I ask you to "argue against the statements I'm actually making" and you fail in your first sentence. I haven't been close to accusing anyone of being a salty fan or that anyone who disagrees with me is biased in any way. I genuinly don't understand where you get all these things from but it's quite clear that it's not from reading my posts.

The most baffling part though is that you think that the things I never said undermines any other points I make...
I don't even know how to respond to that. It's the most 4D chess type strawman argument I've ever heard.

So I'm done. Have a good night.
I literally quoted the things you said, just because your position changed from post to post when called out it doesn't mean you didn't say it.

But then given how you're attempting to rewrite history about F1, you attempting to rewrite history about your own self contradictory posting is par for the course.

Just to shine a light on your blatant lying:

I haven't been close to accusing anyone of being a salty fan or that anyone who disagrees with me is biased in any way
but I'm guessing that one is a bit easier to look past if you want Lewis to win.
You're a mess mate. Like a kid, claiming "I never said that" despite being shown evidence of you doing exactly that. Sometimes you've gotta hold your hands up and admit being wrong.

redshaw

Not expecting Merc to recover much at Silverstone, doesn't bode well if they can't. I wonder if Lando can be a threat in quali again and hold them up in the race. The sprint race might help Merc if they can't get high enough in quali.

pauldyson1uk

The Australian Grand Prix was due to be held at the Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit in Melbourne from November 18-21 after being moved from its usual date in March; organisers cancelled the event on Tuesday "due to restrictions and logistical challenges" related to the coronavirus pandemic

pauldyson1uk

"The Australian Grand Prix Corporation (AGPC) in conjunction with the Victorian Government and Formula 1 today announced the 2021 Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix has been cancelled due to restrictions and logistical challenges relating to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic," read a statement.
"AGPC will continue to work with Formula 1 and the Victorian Government regarding the 2022 calendar timings for the Formula 1 Australian Grand Prix event."

David Croft tweeted this.
Confirmation that the Aussie GP is off again - sad that we won’t be able to enjoy one of the best race weeks of the season, and keeping my fingers crossed that we will be back in 2022. F1 has options for a replacement - but I can’t see it being the last postponement this season

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I literally quoted the things you said, just because your position changed from post to post when called out it doesn't mean you didn't say it.

But then given how you're attempting to rewrite history about F1, you attempting to rewrite history about your own self contradictory posting is par for the course.

Just to shine a light on your blatant lying:

You're a mess mate. Like a kid, claiming "I never said that" despite being shown evidence of you doing exactly that. Sometimes you've gotta hold your hands up and admit being wrong.
Me not saying it means I didn't say it, there's no reason for me to deny it if I had said it because most Hamilton fans in here are salty at times, just like me and most others are as well, and I wouldn't have any problem pointing that out if I thought that was the case here but I DON'T. So no you haven't literally quoted me accusing people of being salty Hamilton fans or that anyone who disagrees with me is being biased towards him, because if you had I would fecking agree with you.

What your "evidence of me doing exactly that" does show is a toungue in cheek comment where I said it's easier to look past the FIA being slow to make rule changes in the past if you've wanted Lewis to win, which I ended with a :p to make it beyond obvious that it wasn't a fecking accusation of anything. The fact you cut out the smiley from the quote to get your gotcha moment is sadly the least surprising thing ever.

Now I'll let you get the last post because like I said before, there's no point to this.

dinostar77

The Australian Grand Prix was due to be held at the Albert Park Grand Prix Circuit in Melbourne from November 18-21 after being moved from its usual date in March; organisers cancelled the event on Tuesday "due to restrictions and logistical challenges" related to the coronavirus pandemic
Not so fussed. Was more bothered by not having a Singapore GP again. Theres enough races in the calender, loss of one aint too bad.

The Hilton

Me not saying it means I didn't say it, there's no reason for me to deny it if I had said it because most Hamilton fans in here are salty at times, just like me and most others are as well, and I wouldn't have any problem pointing that out if I thought that was the case here but I DON'T. So no you haven't literally quoted me accusing people of being salty Hamilton fans or that anyone who disagrees with me is being biased towards him, because if you had I would fecking agree with you.

What your "evidence of me doing exactly that" does show is a toungue in cheek comment where I said it's easier to look past the FIA being slow to make rule changes in the past if you've wanted Lewis to win, which I ended with a :p to make it beyond obvious that it wasn't a fecking accusation of anything. The fact you cut out the smiley from the quote to get your gotcha moment is sadly the least surprising thing ever.

Now I'll let you get the last post because like I said before, there's no point to this.
The point is that you're just hilariously wrong in pretty much every assertion about the Mercedes success and the FIA rule changes, downplaying the battles with Ferrari, acting like they're the only team to win for multiple seasons (Red Bull didn't win 4 in a row with Vettel I guess), and consistently rewriting history (including your own posting history) in order to back up the rule change.

Anyway you're right that this is pointless, even when faced with your own posts making statements you pretend you didn't, so I'll leave you to your imaginary history and run on sentences.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Sorry for ruining the thread with this drivel guys.
On the contrary. This is what forums are there for. To allow differing opinions to be posted and discussed by a wider audience.
The risk is that it gets personal which is not good. When it starts to get personal, the argument has been lost. At the moment, I would say the score is Duce.

dinostar77

Not so fussed. Was more bothered by not having a Singapore GP again. Theres enough races in the calender, loss of one aint too bad.
Just read the article on bbc and bahrain loop may comeback to replace Australia gp. I can only hope. I loved that circuit layout, bloody brilliant.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
On the contrary. This is what forums are there for. To allow differing opinions to be posted and discussed by a wider audience.
The risk is that it gets personal which is not good. When it starts to get personal, the argument has been lost. At the moment, I would say the score is Duce.
That's very true, although I'd argue the risk being that I'll definitely get banned if I continue that conversation. ;)

pauldyson1uk

The FIA's World Motor Sport Council has approved the introduction from next week's British Grand Prix of Pirelli's new more durable rear tyre.

Pirelli developped the new tyre, which has a modified construction featuring a higher vertical stiffness, over an extended period that started last year, and it was sampled by all drivers in free practice last weekend in Austria.

But the decision to move forward with the introduction of the more robust and safer rear tyre was taken after the failures that befell Aston Martin's Lance Stroll and Red Bull's Max Verstappen in Baku last month.

Compounds will remain unchanged, but the tyre's augmented stiffness at high loads will allow it to be run at lower pressures.
Pirelli F1 boss Mario Isola reported in Austria last weekend that feedback from teams and drivers had been conclusive all round.

"The general feedback that I collected is the proto is behaving in a very similar way compared to the C4 compound baseline, so the medium they have for this race," said Isola.

"We have asked the teams to use the rear tyre at a pressure that was 2psi lower compared to the baseline," he said.

"This is a way to compensate for the additional vertical stiffness of the new construction. And in fact, the feedback from drivers was positive. Some found a bit more traction in the first laps. And some commented that the new prototype is very, very similar to the current C4.

Adam-Utd

Silverstone is this weekend though.
the weather for this weekend is looking good, that's what he's saying.

I think you're confusing him labelling the degrees as the dates.

Tiber

I have had to work a load of overtime recently due to a Covid thing making our team work 7 days per week.

Totally missed Max's win last week, was off for the first time in 2 weeks yesterday but there was no F1 and will probably be working through the British GP.

Hate missing races after all these years waiting for someone to develop a car capable of beating Mercs.

pauldyson1uk

Formula 1 will unveil on Thursday at Silverstone a full-scale model of a 2022 Grand Prix car designed around the sport's all-new technical regulations.

Next season, Formula 1 will usher in a new era that will hopefully carry the sport into a prosperous future.

The raft of changes will include a return to ground-effect aerodynamics that will lead to less reliance on wings for downforce, a change that should allow cars to follow each other more closely which in turn should boost overtaking opportunities.

Team designers are also contending with a redefined front wing that will be made of a maximum of four elements overall, while the cars' rear wing should no longer feature endplates. Simplified suspension systems will also be the norm, while F1 will adopt 18-inch wheels.

To help fans visualize and understand the changes, a life-size 2022 F1 car will be rolled out at a dedicated launch event entitled 'F1 One Begins' during which fans will be taken on "a journey through the ages before arriving at the most futuristic racing car of all-time", according to Formula 1.

To support the dynamic launch event, a panel of experts will be on hand to talk through the 2022 car's revolutionary design and explain the thinking behind the changes.

F1 One Begins will be streamed on F1.com, the F1 YouTube channel and Facebook at 1500 BST/1400 UTC on Thursday July 15.

dinostar77

The 2 second dead pitstops will be a thing of the past. No way 4 x 18 inch tyres get changed in around in 2 seconds.

If they can fix the wake from the back of the leading car, formula 1 could usher in a whole new era of awesome racing.

Adam-Utd

The 2 second dead pitstops will be a thing of the past. No way 4 x 18 inch tyres get changed in around in 2 seconds.

If they can fix the wake from the back of the leading car, formula 1 could usher in a whole new era of awesome racing.
The weight and size will be practically the same.

They're just going to have a bigger alloy with a smaller sidewall of tyre, they won't be any harder to lift/move.