F1 2021 Season

pauldyson1uk

I like the teams only having on fp1. Clearly RB havent dialled the car in to their liking. If not had been the usual weekend, fp2 and fp3 would have given them time to nail the setup. However F1 needs the battle to be really close to keep the season interesting.

Does this qualify as a normal pole for lewis and add to his record or is a there a new column in the records now for sprint qualifying?
Found this.
Who is credited with pole position?
Two 'race' starts over the weekend but only one official pole position for the record books - and that, as ever, goes to the driver who starts from the head of the grid for Sunday's Grand Prix.

That means the winner of F1 Sprint (provided he takes up his P1 grid spot on Sunday) is also the British GP pole-position holder.

So, for example, if Lewis Hamilton wins Saturday's sprint, he'll also be credited with F1 career pole number 101.

Drivers who win the sprint, or who finish second and third, are not credited with race wins or podium finishes to their career statistics. But the achievement is still recognised by F1 after the race as, in a nod to the sport's history, the trio will be presented with wreaths and take part in a victory parade around the lap.

pauldyson1uk

I didn't realise that it's a proper qualifier run as a race so the positions after tomorrow's sprint follow through into Sunday. If somebody has a wing knocked off and has to pit they will start in last place.
WHAT HAPPENS IF A CAR GETS DAMAGED? Damage in the sprint is treated in the same way as damage between normal qualifying and the race. Teams can apply for permission to change components and should do so with parts of the same specification.

dinostar77

Found this.
Who is credited with pole position?
Two 'race' starts over the weekend but only one official pole position for the record books - and that, as ever, goes to the driver who starts from the head of the grid for Sunday's Grand Prix.

That means the winner of F1 Sprint (provided he takes up his P1 grid spot on Sunday) is also the British GP pole-position holder.

So, for example, if Lewis Hamilton wins Saturday's sprint, he'll also be credited with F1 career pole number 101.

Drivers who win the sprint, or who finish second and third, are not credited with race wins or podium finishes to their career statistics. But the achievement is still recognised by F1 after the race as, in a nod to the sport's history, the trio will be presented with wreaths and take part in a victory parade around the lap.
What a mess. It should be whoever was fastest on friday qually gets official pole position end of. Sprint race outcome is a lottery, qualifying is about being as fast as possible over one lap. No wonder vettel so against how PP was awarded this weekend.

dinostar77

Why do we have FP2 at 12pm today? Surely the cars should be in parc ferme until the sprint race? What a mess.

Problem with FP2 is that RB will dial in the car for the circuit and fix the understeer that max had during qually yesterday.

I hate this new concept, talk about diluting your IP/brand.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I think that failed 'time balance' qualy from 2012/2013 one of those years, was way better than this debacle.

dinostar77

Ferrari viewing sprint qualifying weekend as ‘400km race with a red flag’.

An interesting take on it. Also an understandable one.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Why do we have FP2 at 12pm today? Surely the cars should be in parc ferme until the sprint race? What a mess.

Problem with FP2 is that RB will dial in the car for the circuit and fix the understeer that max had during qually yesterday.

Well with only 1 practice session how do you expect a team to dial the car in, the qualifying system is a joke might want to take the silver tinted glasses off, FP2 is part and parcel of an F1 weekend also generates money.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

It is to allow all the teams the same 3 practice rounds as in a standard gp.

redshaw

Not all that excited for this mini race, feels almost redundant with the big race tomorrow. Instead of spicing things up it's more like two quali sessions. I don't like the idea of this race like a piggy in the middle. Imagine a football game lasting 20 mins then we come back tomorrow for the 90 min one. We've got everything there to race, all the prep just to cut it short. Like Ferrari say, it's a 400km race with a red flag and for me is very anticlimactic.

Dan_F

I can’t see why any of the top 10 would risk making up a place or two, unless it’s any easy overtake. Far too much to lose if you get any kind of damage.

dinostar77

Well with only 1 practice session how do you expect a team to dial the car in, the qualifying system is a joke might want to take the silver tinted glasses off, FP2 is part and parcel of an F1 weekend also generates money.
The less FP sessions there are the more unpredictable the race as the teams can dial in the car nor do the long runs with different fuel loads / tyres etc.

Anyway fo2 was under parc ferme conditions, which i discovered as i watched it. I think the sprint race will be an anticlimactic event. Too risky to cock it up for tomorrow when the majority of the points are handed out.

Tiber

I'm looking forward to this sprint race. Hope they all really go for it, I like the idea of a short race without worrying about tyre management or strategy.

hobbers

Hope the sprint doesnt just turn into a procession, with everyone too nervous of collisions and damage to send it.

Dr. Funkenstein

Not CAF Geert Wilders
You guys do realise that not all of these can be true simultaneously: Lewis is amazing, Bottas sucks and Lewis is less than 0.2s quicker.
Exactly, he even got a little tow from Bottas. But that's how the Hamilton myth works, I've seen people claiming that he's great because he's this successful with 3 world championas as teammates, they count the fact that he managed to be beaten by Rosberg (and Button) as a sign of his strength.

British GP FP 2 Times

pauldyson1uk

British GP Practice Two Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Max VerstappenRed Bull1:29.902
2) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.375
3) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.605
4) Esteban OconAlpine+0.805
5) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.898
6) Lando NorrisMcLaren+1.128
7) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.132
8) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+1.229
9) Valtteri BottasMercedes+1.278
10) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+1.286
11) George RussellWilliams+1.335
12) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+1.361
13) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+1.387
14) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo+1.426
15) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+1.435
16) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+1.502
17) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+1.691
18) Lance StrollAston Martin+2.139
19) Nikita MazepinHaas+2.572
20) Mick SchumacherHaas+4.115

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Decided not to renew Sky subscription before the season starts and now missing the sprints which sounds really cool ..

Tiber

Great to see fans at Silverstone. I'd love to go but it's so expensive

Jazz

Good strart to the 'sprint' race

Jazz

So whomever wins this little race is on pole?

Jazz

Anyway, come on Lewis!

Tiber

Perez needs to hurry the feck up or Max is going to be alone against the Mercs again tomorrow.

How did he manage to fall to 8th