F1 2021 Season

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It's very evident Red Bull have tried very hard to damage a driver's reputation. Instead I can't help but feel that Horner has damaged his own. It can take years to build and when it has been spent in such an idiotic manner it won't be easy to get it back. I thought they had concerns over their budget too, I can't imagine what this created - manufactured - evidence has added to their concern.
That is very much the way I see it.
And I am not at all surprised that the review was rejected.
The RB attempts to tarnish Lewis Hamilton reputation is infantile at best and as you rightly say, has backfired.

dinostar77

Horner needs to stop going on about Lewis. Its embarrassing to RB now. Max needs to get away from the toxic horner to another team.

Maybe its the just the world we live in now with social media, but there have been much worse racing incidents and never this level of crap especially from a rival team.

Does make me wonder if horner is panicking or under pressure to deliever constructors/wdc this season. Or maybe RB want to switch r&d over to next years car and cant at the moment. Who knows. But RB are destroying any good will they had.

Fluctuation0161

Good read, Honda brought forward next years powertrain to this season for RB. Which begs the question. Where will RB be in the order next year when Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault bring their new 2022 powertrains in?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57883033
Interesting. I'd assumed the 2022 engine will be different to 2021. Surprised they could still use it!

dinostar77

Can't draw too many conclusions from FP1 and FP2. Trackside temp was 60c at FP2. Deivers losing 3kg in both sessions session.

It could all change tomorrow and sunday depending on track temperatures.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Christ. This would normally the time when someone sane higher up into the hierarchy steps in to tell their people to shut up for their own sake; but who's gonna do that to Horner. Instead, you are left to wonder how much deeper he can dig himself into this hole...

I hope Verstappen will at least back out of the discussion. He's normally more level-headed in interviews I see in Dutch media and did indicate there that's he done with this incident and moving on.

gormless

Beyond Red Bull getting a bit embarrassing, in other news there is a Schumacher documentary coming to Netflix in September. If it’s half as good as Senna, it’ll be a treat.

Schumi is unashamedly my favourite driver ever, even when parking his car at Rascasse, so I am really looking forward to it.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Good read, Honda brought forward next years powertrain to this season for RB. Which begs the question. Where will RB be in the order next year when Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault bring their new 2022 powertrains in?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/57883033
They've just brought forwards a design change that they didn't previously plan to bring until next year.

They'll all make improvements over this year of course - but next year the engines will be locked until 2025.

RB will take over the engine from next year by name, but they've still got Honda workers actually working on the engine, so If anything they'll improve rather than get worse.

Hungarian GP Free Practise

pauldyson1uk

Hungarian GP Practice One Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Max VerstappenRed Bull1:17.555
2) Valtteri BottasMercedes+0.061
3) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.167
4) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.560
5) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+0.626
6) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+0.830
7) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.836
8) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.911
9) Lando NorrisMcLaren+1.094
10) Lance StrollAston Martin+1.200
11) Esteban OconAlpine+1.210
12) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+1.215
13) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+1.434
14) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.710
15) George RussellWilliams+2.169
16) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+2.269
17) Mick SchumacherHaas+2.828
18) Robert KubicaAlfa Romeo+3.084
19) Nikita MazepinHaas+3.437
20) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+4.334

Hungarian GP Practice Two Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Valtteri BottasMercedes1:17.012
2) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.027
3) Max VerstappenRed Bull+0.298
4) Esteban OconAlpine+0.747
5) Sergio PerezRed Bull+0.812
6) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+1.101
7) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+1.157
8) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+1.216
9) Lando NorrisMcLaren+1.301
10) Lance StrollAston Martin+1.308
11) Charles LeclercFerrari+1.358
12) Carlos SainzFerrari+1.429
13) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.725
14) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo+2.265
15) George RussellWilliams+2.280
16) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+2.467
17) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+2.659
18) Mick SchumacherHaas+2.805
19) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+3.174
20) Nikita MazepinHaas+4.869

United Hobbit

Beyond Red Bull getting a bit embarrassing, in other news there is a Schumacher documentary coming to Netflix in September. If it’s half as good as Senna, it’ll be a treat.

Schumi is unashamedly my favourite driver ever, even when parking his car at Rascasse, so I am really looking forward to it.
I'm another who enjoyed watching him race when I was growing up.

Think it'll be poignant, he survived all those races, then suffered a fate worse then death when enjoying his retirement

dinostar77

They've just brought forwards a design change that they didn't previously plan to bring until next year.

They'll all make improvements over this year of course - but next year the engines will be locked until 2025.

RB will take over the engine from next year by name, but they've still got Honda workers actually working on the engine, so If anything they'll improve rather than get worse.
Yes Honda will still produce the engines in japan for one more year but that wont be R&D, just production until RB uk engine factory is up and running a year later.

My point was Honda have shown their hand and it gives the likes of Ferrari, Mercedes and Renault time to change their approach if required. Its interesting that ferrari are going down a different route with their engine that potentially could pay off with huge gains in power. Then again it could go horribly wrong.

The homologisation until 2025 is important however if one of the engine manufacturers gets it horribly wrong, they will be allowed to 'catchup', or thats my understanding.

Hopefully F1 will go down the hydrogen fuel cell route post 2025. Audi and BMW have already signalled their intent to withdraw from Formula E. As FE is too restrictive for Audi. HFC technology will bring the big car manufacturers to F1 and give the current ones reasons to stay. As totto said, the future F1 engines have to be relevant to road car technology. F1 having some of the best engineers in the world working on the problems with HFC tech will only speed up the potential for it to translate to into road cars.

Go down the HFC tech route and one of the VW group and the likes of Toyota i think would join F1. That would keep F1 at the forefront of ar technology and also help save the planet.

Balljy

They're disgusting, I agree.

The problem when someone compares that to racist tweets is you're comparing stupid lowest denominator fans not liking Verstappen to a general problem in society. I have no problem with what you're saying being highlighted as not right, but it's a completely different issue to what Hamilton has been subjected to. Horner mentioning this in his statement comes across that the two things are equal and that's not the case.

Last edited:

Adam-Utd

This is what happens when a team boss loses control i'm afraid.

When you see somebody like Horner acting overly emotional and throwing his toys out the pram no wonder kids are going to think it's OK to be abusive.

Very sad.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
They're disgusting, I agree.

The problem when someone compares that to racist tweets is you're comparing stupid lowest denominator fans not liking Verstappen to a general problem in society. I have no problem with what you're saying being highlighted as not right, but it's a completely different issue to what Hamilton has been subjected to. Horner mentioning this in his statement comes across that the two things are equal and that's not the case.
Exactly. I'm sure Hamilton gets those as well, but the abuse he undoubtedly receives additionally contains racism. For Horner to pretend it's all the same is a new low in this sad saga.

ArjenIsM3

This is what happens when a team boss loses control i'm afraid.

When you see somebody like Horner acting overly emotional and throwing his toys out the pram no wonder kids are going to think it's OK to be abusive.

Very sad.
Are you really blaming Horner for the disgusting abuse Max got in those comments?

Adam-Utd

Are you really blaming Horner for the disgusting abuse Max got in those comments?
I blame Horner for getting Hamilton abused, who then had Hamilton fans retaliate and abuse Max for revenge.

It's all happened because of Horners stupid cry baby interviews after the race.

pauldyson1uk

I blame Horner for getting Hamilton abused, who then had Hamilton fans retaliate and abuse Max for revenge.

I can see where you are coming from, but cant 100% agree with you.
Yes Horner has dragged it out and Max has not been much better.
Would Lewis have got the abuse if Horner had said nothing, Yes I think he would, would it have been as bad, No maybe not.

Fridge chutney

Exactly. I'm sure Hamilton gets those as well, but the abuse he undoubtedly receives additionally contains racism. For Horner to pretend it's all the same is a new low in this sad saga.
Couldn't have put it better. Well said.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Very much so.
And now he is claiming it is 'nothing personal' against Hamilton.
What rubbish.
The whole RB team from right at the top has gone way down in my view.
I respect their technical capabilities. But have little respect for them as people.

Adam-Utd

I can see where you are coming from, but cant 100% agree with you.
Yes Horner has dragged it out and Max has not been much better.
Would Lewis have got the abuse if Horner had said nothing, Yes I think he would, would it have been as bad, No maybe not.
Has Hamilton been abused like this before? not that’s been made publicly aware as far as I know.

Maybe you’d get 1 or 2 idiots that take it upon themselves, but Horner definitely stirred the nest.

This is unfortunately also a downside of having more young fans now too. As we’ve seen with football the ‘stan’ kids will do anything to support or defend their hero.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
After all this hype about rain, it looks like the whole weekend will be dry.

Lame.

keithsingleton

Looking tasty for qualifying judging by P3. Really surprised ( again) with Perez as he's looking like a Bottas in disguised. Hamilton & Verstappen just different gravy.

Qualifying can't come quick enough.

LoneStar

Perez once again disappointing for RB. How can you be so far off your teammate? Max is very good, but surely not 1 second better, Perez needs to up his game.

Hoenstly think Bottas would be a better bet for them in 2022. Or George if he doesn't move to Merc.

LoneStar

Looking tasty for qualifying judging by P3. Really surprised ( again) with Perez as he's looking like a Bottas in disguised. Hamilton & Verstappen just different gravy.

Qualifying can't come quick enough.
That's debatable for race craft and race pace. For qualifying Bottas is worlds apart compared to Perez.