F1 2021 Season

Balljy

Sainz and Vettel also?
Yeah, reading through the transcript Sainz is pretty blatant if it's not allowed to come from the team. Vettel may get away with it because he made the decision and they replied that they were keen.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Yeah, reading through the transcript Sainz is pretty blatant if it's not allowed to come from the team. Vettel may get away with it because he made the decision and they replied that they were keen.
A few are blatant. So it's down to the rules. Have they been changed? I wonder if Hamilton would have given up P1 if radio was allowed? Probably still a tough call.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Question though - if Hamilton had come into the pits, with being first on the grid and their pits first in the garage, presumably he wouldn’t have been able to release given the trail of cars and would have lost some places anyway? For sure probably less than what they did do, but I guess an aspect?

Drivers Standing after 11 races

pauldyson1uk

DriverTeamWinsPoints
1Lewis HamiltonMercedes4192
2Max VerstappenRed Bull5186
3Lando NorrisMcLaren0113
4Valtteri BottasMercedes0108
5Sergio PerezRed Bull1104
6Charles LeclercFerrari080
7Carlos Sainz JrFerrari080
8Daniel RicciardoMcLaren050
9Sebastian VettelAston Martin048
10Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri047
11Esteban OconAlpine139
12Fernando AlonsoAlpine036
13Lance StrollAston Martin018
14Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri016
15Nicholas LatifiWilliams04
16George RussellWilliams02
17Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo01
18Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo01
19Mick SchumacherHaas00
20Nikita MazepinHaas00

Balljy

Question though - if Hamilton had come into the pits, with being first on the grid and their pits first in the garage, presumably he wouldn’t have been able to release given the trail of cars and would have lost some places anyway? For sure probably less than what they did do, but I guess an aspect?
Toto says they had calculated Hamilton would have been 6th if he had pitted due to not being able to release into the train of cars. I guess they were hoping the inters would build up a bit of a gap for 3 laps before it dried completely.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Yeah. I think someone posted above he'd have come out in about p8?

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Toto says they had calculated Hamilton would have been 6th if he had pitted due to not being able to release into the train of cars. I guess they were hoping the inters would build up a bit of a gap for 3 laps before it dried completely.
Champion usually picks garage position next year right? I wonder why they pick the nearest to put entry? Nice straight entry I suppose? But last looks attractive now? Though last gets jammed during quali?

dinostar77

Champion usually picks garage position next year right? I wonder why they pick the nearest to put entry? Nice straight entry I suppose? But last looks attractive now? Though last gets jammed during quali?
The winning constructor gets the first pit boxes for the following season.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
That the entire field has to change tires on a formation/safety car lap is so rare that I don't think it's a factor when it comes to choosing your pit garage.

The Hilton

Still looks like Red Bull have the better car, even with the Mercedes upgrades. Admittedly it's really difficult to tell, given that Max hasn't managed a full lap outside of the sprint race, but in that he was able to pull away.

Still, those upgrades (along with a couple of accidents taking out Max) have given us a real title fight, much more exciting than it looked before Silverstone when RB were miles ahead.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Did he do it in a normal calm way or did he drop multiple f bombs? :lol:
'f bombs' is a very anglophone perspective on language though. For a Dutch person, there is nothing controversial about this: 'feck' isn't a very strong word and 'fecking' isn't either; people use it relatively liberally in their English. To me, Verstappen looked calme and just made wanted to make sure his comment was really clear, and that's also what he confirmed afterwards.

Either way, if anything, him wording things strongly to make clear that he wants to move on from the subject makes clear that he's focusing on the race.

pauldyson1uk

Sebastian Vettel could lose his hard-earned runner up spot in the Hungarian Grand Prix, following a shortfall of fuel onboard the German driver's Aston Martin at the end of the race.

The FIA requires that all cars must complete the distance of a Grand Prix with at least one litre of fuel remaining in the tank to allow for a sampling and control.

However, FIA technical delegate Jo Bauer has informed the stewards that only 300ml of fuel were extracted from the Aston Martin's fuel tank, therefore putting Vettel at risk of a disqualification.

"After the race it was checked on car number 5 whether a 1.0 litre sample of fuel could be taken from the car," read Bauer's notice.

"It was possible to take only a 0.3 litre sample following the procedures layed out [Sic] in Article 6.6.4 of the 2021 Formula One Technical Regulations.

"Therefore I am referring this matter to the stewards for their consideration, as this is not in compliance with Article 6.6.2 of the 2021 Formula One Technical Regulations."

pauldyson1uk

Lewis Hamilton had to be attended to by a Mercedes team doctor following the Hungarian GP as he suffered with fatigue and mild dizziness.

Hamilton endured a chaotic afternoon in Budapest on Sunday, storming through from the back to third place - involved in intense wheel-to-wheel battles with other drivers throughout the race.

Afterwards, he was visibly exhausted on the podium, unable to join in the celebrations for Esteban Ocon's first win.

Mercedes confirmed Hamilton's symptoms after he missed much of his post-race media and the start of the press conference:

The seven-time world champion then revealed his struggles.

"I'm OK, yeah," he said after joining the press conference. "I had real dizziness and then got a bit blurry on the podium."