F1 2021 Season

Hephaestus

wouldn’t say that’s arrogant personally.

everybody knows that russell was his main rival for the seat and his point is maybe bottas was defending harder than usual because it’s him.

I don’t think that was an unfair thing to say - but was obviously told to publicly back down to save face. he said what he believed true in the heat of the moment.
He implied that Bottas did something "incredibly dangerous" because of who Russell is, you can't get more arrogant than assuming someone is racing you harder than anyone else. Especially when what Bottas did was just the normal thing in defending, you take the best line and squeeze your rival without pushing them off track or changing direction suddenly - Jolyon Palmer's analysis here does a great job illustrating this and why Bottas did nothing egregious or wrong.

And it was a massively unfair thing to say, hence why Wolff went in on him as hard as he did.

The fact that it was in the heat of the moment is why I mentioned his apology - saying things you regret happens, especially in F1. Hamilton, Vettel and Verstappen have all had to apologise for stuff they've said about other drivers in the past and I don't really hold it against them too much, likewise with Russell here.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He implied that Bottas did something "incredibly dangerous" because of who Russell is, you can't get more arrogant than assuming someone is racing you harder than anyone else. Especially when what Bottas did was just the normal thing in defending, you take the best line and squeeze your rival without pushing them off track or changing direction suddenly - Jolyon Palmer's analysis here does a great job illustrating this and why Bottas did nothing egregious or wrong.

And it was a massively unfair thing to say, hence why Wolff went in on him as hard as he did.

The fact that it was in the heat of the moment is why I mentioned his apology - saying things you regret happens, especially in F1. Hamilton, Vettel and Verstappen have all had to apologise for stuff they've said about other drivers in the past and I don't really hold it against them too much, likewise with Russell here.
he’s not saying it from an arrogant stand point though, he believes there’s bad blood and a motive behind it - that’s his opinion.

if he said bottas only did it because i’m so much better than him in a slower car then i’d agree.

Hephaestus

he’s not saying it from an arrogant stand point though, he believes there’s bad blood and a motive behind it - that’s his opinion.

if he said bottas only did it because i’m so much better than him in a slower car then i’d agree.
That's the arrogant part though, he's assuming that Bottas was racing him harder than he would anyone else (and again, he wasn't) and assuming that Bottas must have a motive against Russell, it can't just be that Bottas was racing normally.

And something can be your "opinion" and you can still be arrogant or wrong for saying it. Case in point, Vettel accusing Hamilton of brake-checking him in Baku 2017. Also his opinion, also utterly wrong. Hence why both Russell and Vettel apologised for their conduct in those incidents.

Italian GP Running order

pauldyson1uk

Friday
FP1

Just one hour to prepare for qualifying

The race weekend begins with a now traditional one-hour session for free practice. However, the programme the teams will run is very different.

It’s now one of just two practice sessions, meaning a 33.3% reduction in on-track ‘testing’ time during a race weekend, and the only one before qualifying, so the focus here will be on one-lap set-up.

From their allocation of 12 tyres – (6 softs, 4 mediums and 2 hards) – teams will likely kick off with runs on the hard compound for installation laps and set-up checks and then use one set of the softs to do some low-fuel runs.

With just one hour of practice, the pressure is on to have an error-free session. A driver mistake on track or a mechanical issue could mean they head into qualifying blind – and therefore very much on the back foot.

Teams will also have to largely finesse their cars for the rest of the weekend, as they head into parc ferme straight after the session to avoid the creation of special ‘qualifying cars’. There is a list, however, of parts that can be changed, such as brake friction material.

Qualifying
Q2 tyre choice no longer determines Grand Prix start tyre for the top 10

The qualifying format we’ve all become accustomed to – split into three segments with the 10 quickest fighting it out for the best grid slot in Q3 – remains the same.
1800 local time – to maximise the chances of more people being able to watch after work. The fastest time in qualifying gives you P1 on the grid for the new F1 Sprint event.
Drivers can only use the softest tyre compound available and have four sets to run – with those making into Q3 getting an extra set.
And the drivers who make it into the final part of qualifying will no longer have to start the Grand Prix on the compound they went fastest on in Q2, as the choice is now free.

Saturday
FP2

One hour to gather long run data

Saturday brings the second and final practice session of the weekend – in the scheduled slot that usually hosts FP3.

Here, the teams will focus on gathering long run data – and running the two tyre compounds which they expect to use in the Grand Prix. Given there is now free choice on starting tyre, teams will likely focus on the medium and hard.
They can use this session to check car balance, the brakes, ride height – and of course tyre degradation with an eye on Sunday’s main event.
It’s not much time to prep, so teams will have to rely even more heavily on their pre-event simulation tools.

F1 Sprint
A fast and furious single stint race
Saturday afternoon brings the second ever F1 Sprint – a 100km dash, which based on the length of the Monza track will be 18 laps and last around 25-30 minutes.
As we saw at Silverstone, the cars are able to run at maximum speed for the full distance, without having to worry overly about conserving their tyres.
The tyre model used by F1’s data team suggests that all the tyres will have the same level of performance when they are around 15 laps old. After that, the quickest tyre becomes the hard, followed by the medium.
The softs will struggle after that point, with their performance dropping off quickly.

Sunday
The Grand Prix

Sunday remains the focal point of the weekend, with the Grand Prix handing out the big points as usual – 25 for the win down to one point for 10th position.

With free choice on tyres, we will have to wait until they pull the tyre blankets off ahead of the formation lap to see which driver has gone for which compound, adding an extra layer of intrigue.
They must then use at least two compounds during the race, which means at least one pit stop, but the teams and drivers will be relying on far less practice data than they're used to – which history tells us tends to make for exciting racing!

pauldyson1uk

CHEQUERED FLAG ON PRACTICE ONE
That's what you call a fast start from Lewis Hamilton.
Nearly half a second faster than title rival Max Verstappen, on slower tyres too.
Lando Norris did briefly hold second but had his lap removed for track limits.

ArjenIsM3

Max said earlier this week that this race wouldn't be like the Dutch GP and that it would be hard to compete with Mercedes. Early days but so far that seems accurate. Wonder if they'll be able to improve their setup through FP2 and FP3 to be more competitive, otherwise this will be an easy 1-2 for Merc

pauldyson1uk

Max said earlier this week that this race wouldn't be like the Dutch GP and that it would be hard to compete with Mercedes. Early days but so far that seems accurate. Wonder if they'll be able to improve their setup through FP2 and FP3 to be more competitive, otherwise this will be an easy 1-2 for Merc
Looks like Max will be right, Lewis and Bottas not even on the softs.
The law rake set up suits this track, but yeah early days, I expect the time to be closer come race time.

Fluctuation0161

I think any competitive sportsmen or woman has a driven personality which exudes confidence and arrogance. That’s characteristic in one degree or another in all professional sports. So I try instead to compare to other elites within the sport.

You’re right though. Maybe Russell telling his team to ruin his strategy if needed for Latifi, or how he interacts with his team when he makes a mistake, is all a facade. It very well could be. I sense it’s authentic. But I could also be wrong.

Perhaps I was unfair @Camilo
It wouldn't look good for his prospects moving to Mercedes if he was insisting his needs be prioritised over the team and his team mate would it?

I'm not saying that was his reason for doing so but he would've been stupid to appear selfish in that situation. Epseicsllh if he was in talks with Mercedes to race alongside Hamilton.

I'm not saying he is a horrible person. But anyone would need to consider all of these factors if in his situation.

Italian GP FP1 Timings

pauldyson1uk

Italian GP Practice One Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Lewis HamiltonMercedes1:20.926
2) Max VerstappenRed Bull+0.452
3) Valtteri BottasMercedes+0.525
4) Lance StrollAston Martin+0.750
5) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+0.793
6) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+0.898
7) Carlos SainzFerrari+0.988
8) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+1.000
9) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+1.077
10) Sergio PerezRed Bull+1.113
11) Charles LeclercFerrari+1.176
12) Lando NorrisMcLaren+1.177
13) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+1.344
14) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+1.604
15) Esteban OconAlpine+1.608
16) Robert KubicaAlfa Romeo+2.083
17) George RussellWilliams+2.166
18) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+2.516
19) Nikita MazepinHaas+2.519
20) Mick SchumacherHaas+2.625

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Mclaren looking strong again this year.

We were good here last year in Monza, nice to see that continuing. Looks like It's swung back to Hamilton for this one!

Leg-End

Pretty sure the setup is locked in once Quali starts because of the Sprint Race here, so once they go out to qualify this afternoon the fundamentals are set in stone.

I reckon Red Bull will take a strategic engine change for Max here if he's behind both Mercedes, he could still get points in the sprint race then he's got the whole race to claw back to 3rd which may be the maximum anyway.

ArjenIsM3

Pretty sure the setup is locked in once Quali starts because of the Sprint Race here, so once they go out to qualify this afternoon the fundamentals are set in stone.

I reckon Red Bull will take a strategic engine change for Max here if he's behind both Mercedes, he could still get points in the sprint race then he's got the whole race to claw back to 3rd which may be the maximum anyway.
Ah, forgot about the sprint race. Yeah, they're fecked and should do the engine swap :lol:

ChaddyP

So what constitutes as qualifying for the fantasy. Quali today or the sprint race tomorrow?

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I forgot about this. I like qualifying on a Friday evening, it's a nice way to start the weekend.

Sprint race is a weird thing though. It's basically starting the race for a few laps and then stopping and starting again, I don't get it

pauldyson1uk

Is qualifying format the same as always?
Qualifying
Q2 tyre choice no longer determines Grand Prix start tyre for the top 10

The qualifying format we’ve all become accustomed to – split into three segments with the 10 quickest fighting it out for the best grid slot in Q3 – remains the same.
1800 local time – to maximise the chances of more people being able to watch after work. The fastest time in qualifying gives you P1 on the grid for the new F1 Sprint event.
Drivers can only use the softest tyre compound available and have four sets to run – with those making into Q3 getting an extra set.
And the drivers who make it into the final part of qualifying will no longer have to start the Grand Prix on the compound they went fastest on in Q2, as the choice is now free.

United Hobbit

Surely they need to implement a minimum speed for out/in laps to try and stop this stacking on track, there's been a few incidents that could have been a nasty accident with someone on a fast lap nearly running into a pack of slow cars that are virtually ground to a halt

United Hobbit

It looks like a grid out there, if I was on a hot lap and came across that I'd be fuming!

We've nearly had a few nasty accidents lately due to this, they need to put something in place to stop it

pauldyson1uk

Yuki Tsunoda has had his lap time deleted for track limits!

That drops Tsunoda out in Q1 - and George Russell IS through.

A big disappointment for the AlphaTauri driver.

OUT IN Q1

16) Nicholas Latifi, Williams

17) Yuki Tsunoda, AlphaTauri

18) Mick Schumacher, Haas

19) Robert Kubica, Alfa Romeo

20) Nikita Mazepin, Haas

Leg-End

There will be a big crash one day because of this stacking shite, happens at every track too.