F1 2021 Season

pauldyson1uk

The Monaco Grand Prix will scrap its traditional Thursday running next year and switch to a three-day format has announced F1 boss Stefano Domenicali.

F1's glitzy showcase event in the Principality has historically always kicked off on Thursday, a schedule initiated when the race was first held over the Ascension Day weekend which included a Bank holiday Friday.

For practical reasons, Formula 1 opted to maintain over the decades Monaco's traditional timetable, with Friday remaining an action-free day to allow shops and local businesses to operate normally, and residents to move around Monte-Carlo freely.

But as the sport devises its 2022 calendar, Monaco will come in line with F1's classic weekend format, a move that is believed to also facilitate logistics with the Spanish Grand Prix earmarked to take place the weekend before Monaco.

Leg-End

They should just forget to show up at Monaco, do a luck dip to declare the results and save us all the hassle.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

dinostar77

There main issue is the MGU-K which they want rid of, most of the teams seem like they are coming around this for the 2026 engine regulation changes, it makes sense they want something that is developed to be used in cars in the future and present.
Question is whether MGU-K and MGU-H will ever realistically translate over to road cars. If not they are an unnecessary expense for the manufacturer.

Hal9000

Question is whether MGU-K and MGU-H will ever realistically translate over to road cars. If not they are an unnecessary expense for the manufacturer.
Mercedes announced they will be putting MGU-H in the next generation of road cars.

Not sure how i feel about it beig dropped, personally think it's great technology and getting rid of it is a backward step really.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
This video is where I found out about the engine regulations, it’s adaption to road cars couldn’t be anything like what it’s used for in F1. Also it would be nice to have the lovely loud engines back again for a while before F1 goes hydrogen or electric in the future

dinostar77

This video is where I found out about the engine regulations, it’s adaption to road cars couldn’t be anything like what it’s used for in F1. Also it would be nice to have the lovely loud engines back again for a while before F1 goes hydrogen or electric in the future

Good video. Politics will play it's part. Mercedes, Renault and Ferrari hold all the cards as F1 cant afford to lose another engine manufacturer.

pauldyson1uk

Miami GP will take place on May 6-8 in Formula 1 2022 on new track around Hard Rock Stadium; Rest of 2022 calendar yet to be revealed, but 23-race schedule expected

The event will make its F1 debut with a race around a circuit that is under construction, around the city's Hard Rock Stadium.

"There is no doubt in my mind that the Formula 1 community and the sport's fanbase worldwide are going to be amazed by what they see next May," said Miami GP CEO, Richard Cregan
The Miami GP is joining the F1 calendar on a 10-year deal

pauldyson1uk

Imola looks set to become a permanent fixture on the F1 calendar from next year until the end of 2025 at the least.

The circuit made its return to the sport in 2020, stepping in to host a race after the global pandemic forced many to be called off.

It was then added to the calendar again in 2021 for the same reason, taking the place of the Chinese Grand Prix, which was cancelled due to travel restrictions.

The circuit was generally positively received by fans and drivers alike, with many calling for it to be giving a permanent spot on the schedule in the future.

A leaked calendar claimed that was being considered with the sport deciding whether to have a race there or at Paul Ricard in 2022.

On Thursday, Stefano Bonaccini, the president of the Emilia-Romagna region, confirmed that a proposal had been presented to the sport.

“As a region, we have been successful for some time when it comes to bringing in sporting events of the highest calibre, and I hope that we will soon have a fixed round of the Formula 1 World Championship at the Imola circuit,” he said.

“We have submitted a proposal to the government in response to the race in 2020 and 2021. The idea is to have a permanent place on the calendar from 2022, for many years to come. I hope to receive a positive response to this soon.

“It would be a historic and fantastic achievement and it would be great for all the fans and residents of Imola and Emilia-Romagna.”

dinostar77

Dump Paul Ricard circuit its crap and gives me a headache with it's stupid coloured run off areas.

Russian GP FP1

pauldyson1uk

Russian GP Practice One Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Valtteri BottasMercedes1:34.427
2) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.211
3) Max VerstappenRed Bull+0.227
4) Charles LeclercFerrari+0.690
5) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+1.354
6) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+1.367
7) Carlos SainzFerrari+1.384
8) Lando NorrisMcLaren+1.532
9) Sergio PerezRed Bull+1.761
10) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+1.798
11) Esteban OconAlpine+1.809
12) Lance StrollAston Martin+2.095
13) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+2.368
14) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+2.450
15) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo+2.525
16) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+3.367
17) George RussellWilliams+3.586
18) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+3.728
19) Nikita MazepinHaas+4.159
20) Mick SchumacherHaas+4.550

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Max decides to take a new engine so he skips his penalty by starting at the back of the grid instead. Feel like the rules should be changed so the penalty is valid for the next race instead.

Rooney1987

Max said similar things. All from Lewis making some pretty normal comments yesterday about the pressure in a title fight. I dunno kinda sounds like the pressure is getting to them the way they’ve acted recently.

dinostar77

Max decides to take a new engine so he skips his penalty by starting at the back of the grid instead. Feel like the rules should be changed so the penalty is valid for the next race instead.
Is it definite though? I thought they were going to wait to see outcome of qualifying I.e. if max sticks it on pole and is dropped to 4th via penalty then maybe they wont change the engine.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Knew it would happen, making the penalty null and void.
Nothing in rules against it, maybe there should be .
Considering it's Mercedes fault he has to take a penalty in the first place, it's probably still harsh on Verstappen.

I don't think he's going to go sailing through the grid this weekend, especially with Leclerc in front of him.

dinostar77

If it rains on Sunday who knows. If his (max) luck is in and theres a safety car or two he could still end up in the top 5 or even podium.

When your destined to win a championship luck seems to arrive when you most need it. Thinking back to Seb at RB getting 2 or 3 saftey cars in one of the middle east races when starting at the back or the grid and still making the podium. Or Seb again at brazil when he spun his RB at turn 4, was facing the wrong way and the entire pack somehow didnt clip his at at all. He turned the car around and his race and got a points finish which helped him towards his championship that year.

hobbers

Mercedes directly at fault for Perez, LeClerc and Max's engine penalties so I dont think they can complain too much about replacing a 3 place grid pen for a 20 place one.

Russian GP FP2

pauldyson1uk

Russian GP Practice Two Timesheet
DriverTeamTime
1) Valtteri BottasMercedes1:33.593
2) Lewis HamiltonMercedes+0.044
3) Pierre GaslyAlphaTauri+0.252
4) Lando NorrisMcLaren+0.561
5) Esteban OconAlpine+0.809
6) Max VerstappenRed Bull+1.028
7) Carlos SainzFerrari+1.085
8) Fernando AlonsoAlpine+1.169
9) Sebastian VettelAston Martin+1.244
10) Charles LeclercFerrari+1.322
11) Sergio PerezRed Bull+1.345
12) Kimi RaikkonenAlfa Romeo+1.459
13) George RussellWilliams+1.501
14) Antonio GiovinazziAlfa Romeo+1.585
15) Lance StrollAston Martin+1.741
16) Nicholas LatifiWilliams+1.818
17) Daniel RicciardoMcLaren+2.037
18) Yuki TsunodaAlphaTauri+2.361
19) Nikita MazepinHaas+2.506
20) Mick SchumacherHaas+2.637

Fluctuation0161

Definitely. Is this something that could happen?

Classic Red Bull trying to cheat their way out of a penalty.

NM

How is it Mercedes fault?
The Bottas crash took this engine.. But it isn't really Mercedes' fault. The tribalisim in this thread is hilarious!

How is Max cheating out of a penalty? I thought the penalty was to go to the back of the grid?

Fluctuation0161

The Bottas crash took this engine.. But it isn't really Mercedes' fault. The tribalisim in this thread is hilarious!

How is Max cheating out of a penalty? I thought the penalty was to go to the back of the grid?
The penalty from Italy was a 3 or 4 place grid penalty I believe. Hard to apply the penalty if you start from the back of the grid!

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
How is it Mercedes fault?
Well it was caused by Hamilton's crash which damaged the engine beyond repair. My point is, if they dodge a 3 place grid penalty because they have to start at the back of the grid due to having to use an extra engine already - that's probably still harsh on RB.

I don' think with Leclerc starting ahead of him either will help. They'll sail past the Haas' but it won't be so easy once they reach the top 10-15.

I think it's safe to say as long as Hamilton finishes he should be taking the lead come sunday evening.

dinostar77

Mercedes directly at fault for Perez, LeClerc and Max's engine penalties so I dont think they can complain too much about replacing a 3 place grid pen for a 20 place one.
I forgot it's not motor racing, but a gentle parade of f1 cars. :lol:

Fluctuation0161

Well it was caused by Hamilton's crash which damaged the engine beyond repair. My point is, if they dodge a 3 place grid penalty because they have to start at the back of the grid due to having to use an extra engine already - that's probably still harsh on RB.

I don' think with Leclerc starting ahead of him either will help. They'll sail past the Haas' but it won't be so easy once they reach the top 10-15.

I think it's safe to say as long as Hamilton finishes he should be taking the lead come sunday evening.
Hamiltons crash? I assume you mean Silverstone which I'm not 100% is the cause of the damage. But even if it was, it was about 60/40, both drivers contributed.

Hamilton served his 10 second penalty. Which is about equivalent to a 3 place grid penalty from Italy where Verstappen was 60/40 to blame.

Regardless, The 3 place penalty should be taken at another track if they change engine.

Xeno

Hamilton’s penalty eventually resulted in no penalty.
Verstappen’s penalty eventually resulted in no penalty.

I think it’s fair.

Lightbringer

Hamilton’s penalty eventually resulted in no penalty.
Verstappen’s penalty eventually resulted in no penalty.

I think it’s fair.
Hamilton gained 32 points on Verstappen with the Silverstone crash.

Max gained 3 points on Lewis with the Monza crash.

Red Bull had to pay 1.2$ million to repair the car, money that could have been used for new updates.

And now VER has to start at the back of the grid because his engine was wiped out in the incident.

Current results:

29 points in advantage for Hamilton championship swing
1.2$ million bill for Red Bull

+ Incoming points loss in Russia for Verstappen.

End result probably will be at least 40 points gained for Hamiltons from his Silverstone mistake.

Probably the most rewarded mistake ever in F1 history. Verstappen need to win 6 races straight to make up for that incident alone.

You think thats fair?
---

Insert Bottas taking out both Red Bulls and that a 50-60 points swing in favour of Hamilton from Mercedes cars taking out Red Bulls.

Last edited:

Zarlak

my face causes global warming
Truth like rain don't give a feck who it falls on.
Hamilton gained 32 points on Verstappen with the Silverstone crash.

Max gained 3 points on Lewis with the Monza crash.

Red Bull had to pay 1.2$ million to repair the car, money that could have been used for new updates.

And now VER has to start at the back of the grid because his engine was wiped out in the incident.

Current results:

29 points in advantage for Hamilton championship swing
1.2$ million bill for Red Bull

+ Incoming points loss in Russia for Verstappen.

End result probably will be at least 40 points gained for Hamiltons from his Silverstone mistake.

Probably the most rewarded mistake ever in F1 history. Verstappen need to win 6 races straight to make up for that incident alone.

You think thats fair?
That's completely irrelevant. That happened after the fact and could have turned out completely differently. You don't see someone get hacked down in the box, get a penalty, score and then moan afterwards that the penalty wasn't fair because the other team then went and scored 7 goals. A penalty is supposed to in the moment penalise you for something, it's not supposed to guarantee a certain outcome when the race is over.

Last edited: