F1 2021 Season

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It's fun, isn't it...

I think we have established multiple times this season already that F1's rules don't really cover all eventualities properly, and can benefit racers in ways that wasn't intended. Didn't Hamilton also get advantage from a restart at some point? Stuff like that. Same case here: it may not be fair, but it's what F1 prescribes, so what are you going to do. Surely no-one would expect Red Bull (or Mercedes, or anyone else) to say it's unfair and volunteer to take the grid penalty another time.

So, can we please move on?

dinostar77

Oh good, we've descended into tedious tribalism before actual qualifying has even begun.
When I joined this thread and forum, it was a nice f1 thread without the tedious tribalism. I wish for those days.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Hamiltons crash? I assume you mean Silverstone which I'm not 100% is the cause of the damage. But even if it was, it was about 60/40, both drivers contributed.

Hamilton served his 10 second penalty. Which is about equivalent to a 3 place grid penalty from Italy where Verstappen was 60/40 to blame.

Regardless, The 3 place penalty should be taken at another track if they change engine.
I never said hamilton was completely at fault, but it was a crash with him that means verstappen needs a new engine.

somebody above said it’s been equaled out now but let’s be honest it hasn’t.

I think the rules of losing an engine because of a crash is a bit overly harsh personally.

pauldyson1uk

The opening F2 race was also postponed earlier on Saturday.

Qualifying is still slated to start at 1pm, although F1 could change the time and delay that shootout depending on the conditions.

The rain is expected to ease up through Saturday, giving hope for a wet and unpredictable qualifying.

If qualifying can not take place today, it will be held on Sunday morning before the race.

"From what we've seen from the forecast side is that we will have this level of rain until about 1.30pm local time (11.30am UK) and then decreasing in the afternoon," said F1 race director Michael Masi.

"The priority from today's perspective is Formula 1 qualifying this afternoon - Formula 1 will take priority."

He added: "Sunset locally is about 6.15pm (4.15pm UK), but with weather conditions like this light diminishes far earlier so that will ultimately be our cut off point.

"If qualifying isn't able to happen today, as we 've seen in the past we will hold qualifying on Sunday morning."

United Hobbit

Is there any point Verstappen using tyres and qualifying today if he's got his penalty?

Hope it's a wet race tomorrow! The fans look frozen

Leg-End

I'm just going to say it, I reckon age is finally creeping up on Hamilton.

hobbers

Calamity for Mercedes on practically their home track with an open goal for a 1-2 :lol:

United Hobbit

Yes Russell and Norris!

Just hope those yellows weren't out when Russell did his fast time or it may be deleted

Was expecting Mercedes lock out, love when we get a shock/ mixed up grid

hobbers

What the hell was Perez doing out there? Didn't see him anywhere on the coverage, what an opportunity missed for him.

BIGbadBOO4

Bad mistake from Hamilton, but the way the track just evolved on the last lap. I think the gods are smiling in Verstappan.

Leg-End

Mercedes pitwall again was sleeping, they had pole covered on inters anyway so why didn’t they go for slicks immediately?

Hamilton has hit the wall twice in 2 laps, he’s not absent of blame for it.

dinostar77

Deffo mistake from Hamo. I think the pressure of trying to land title no8 is getting to him. Tbf this might be his last chance to land it as no one knows the pecking order for next season or two.

2nd row of grid isnt too bad, Russell will get out of the way and Sainz should be passable. Lando will be tough.