F1 2021 Season

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
If it rains, you pit. End of. He will never make that mistake again.

mitChley

they should have played it safe but it wasn’t raining that hard and he was covering off hamilton no problem.

it then suddenly burst and he had no chance.

maybe the team should have been stronger but in his mind he was handling it
100%

Not Landos fault, he isn't the one with the weather radar, they should have been more forceful, they were paralysed by fear of pitting and Hamilton not and that being the right call

Leg-End

Max’s race was fairly average until the rain, Red Bull nailed the call on timing.

Hamilton will have to take a penalty somewhere, I suspect they will do it at Mexico which Max will dominate anyway.

United Hobbit

Lando driver of the day, not sure before he gambled yes but he messed up.
Maybe Max back to second, helped by rain or Lewis for 100th win, also helped by rain but correct call by team to come in
I'm surprised he got driver of the day, he was doing well but made such a costly error not to pit, he would have at least got a podium if he had

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Zak Brown and Andreas Seidl should give Norris a hard bollock check about this race. It was there for the taking ffs.
this is such a narrow minded view point.

he was handling lewis fine, nobody could have known it was about to get heavier - commentary even said it was going away at one point.

when you’re winning your first race and there’s 2/3 laps left you don’t pit just in case. hamilton had the benefit of knowing he was never gonna overtake him anyway so worst case was 2nd.

lucky for him the rain suddenly got heavier and it left lando stranded.

if they pitted him early onto inters and it didn’t rain heavier then he loses his first win.

it was a gamble, it didn’t pay off.

fair play to lando he’s got some bollocks and he made his choice, he will have to live with it.

i’ll always side with the guy that takes a risk.

Adam-Utd

Lando driver of the day, not sure before he gambled yes but he messed up.
Maybe Max back to second, helped by rain or Lewis for 100th win, also helped by rain but correct call by team to come in
hahaha of course he deserves it.

held off the king of the wet no problem. pulled a second on him!

just because luck went against him doesn’t take away what he did for 95% of the race. i

SirAnderson

he was handling lewis fine, nobody could have known it was about to get heavier - commentary even said it was going away at one point.

when you’re winning your first race and there’s 2/3 laps left you don’t pit just in case. hamilton had the benefit of knowing he was never gonna overtake him anyway so worst case was 2nd.

if they pitted him early onto inters and it didn’t rain heavier then he loses his first win.

fair play to lando he’s got some bollocks and he made his choice, he will have to live with it.

Honestly I don't see it like that at all. Mercedes guys said they knew it was going to get heavier. Surely that should be information McLaren should have had as well and should have insisted Lando come in. But him telling them to shut up is what cost him, rather than listening to them.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Congratulations to Lewis on making history!

hobbers

People seriously trying to put the blame on Lando? :lol:

McLaren are at fault - they left it up to him. Mercedes told Lewis he was coming in. If they'd left it up to Lewis he'd have stayed out as well and met the same fate, 100%.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
What an incredible race. I agree with others that Max is favorite. He's got the better car, making fewer mistakes, and taking advantage whenever an opportunity arises.

Is it for certain that Lewis will require an engine penalty also?

Adam-Utd

Honestly I don't see it like that at all. Mercedes guys said they knew it was going to get heavier. Surely that should be information McLaren should have had as well and should have insisted Lando come in. But him telling them to shut up is what cost him, rather than listening to them.
blame the team then?

they predicted it would get heavier but that’s never 100%

maybe mclaren didn’t think it would get heavier and thought he’d be ok to keep managing?

it’s a split second decision with an impossible to predict scenario. yes in hindsight the decision is obvious, but at the same time when you’re the lead car it’s never that easy to decide that.

hamilton knew he couldn’t beat norris on pace today so took the safe option and it paid off.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Feel for bad for Lando but he will learn from this, he's only young. Drove a great race and hope he doesn't dwell too much on this.

vangagal

Lewis was against pitting also but his team insisted and he listened to them. Many times we see Lewis not so sure with his pit crew strategy but he listen to them more often than not.
Taking risk is fine but this one just not worth the gamble.

United Hobbit

Hope the title goes down to the last race, too often recently the last races have just meant nothing as the title was already sealed

pauldyson1uk

just because luck went against him doesn’t take away what he did for 95% of the race. i
Londo was slipping around, Lewis handled the rain better. Lando ignored his team, Lewis did not.
95 % yeah I agree, but luck did not go against him, his inexperience did him.

BIGbadBOO4

If you don't believe Lewis is good in the wet you need to give your head a wobble. Best driver in wet easily, maybe Lewis had a championship in mind when the rain came down and Lando (who was unlucky not to win) had nothing to lose but a race win.

I also think Lando had a no win situation after Lewis pitted he gambled for the win, when he should have accepted a mistake and accepted 2nd place.

Adam-Utd

Lewis was against pitting also but his team insisted and he listened to them. Many times we see Lewis not so sure with his pit crew strategy but he listen to them more often than not.
Taking risk is fine but this one just not worth the gamble.
the difference is they reinforced the rain would get heavier. when you’re 2nd and can’t overtake the guy ahead it’s much easier to take the safe option. if it was the other way around there’s no way he would pit first, i promise you that.

mitChley

McLaren are at fault - they left it up to him. Mercedes told Lewis he was coming in. If they'd left it up to Lewis he'd have stayed out as well and met the same fate, 100%.
So easy for Mercedes to make the decision to pit when worst case is you are still 2nd, and best is win.

Difficult to say much more other than Lando absolutely deserved the win after the whole weekend, compared to Lewis who managed to qualify poorly, start the race poorly, then able to gain positions through other teams poor pitstops. Bit reductive I know but hard not to be annoyed that we have yet another year of a Mercedes Russia win from what basically came down to a a good rain call by the team.

Adam-Utd

Londo was slipping around, Lewis handled the rain better. Lando ignored his team, Lewis did not.
95 % yeah I agree, but luck did not go against him, his inexperience did him.
lewis handled it better?! you absolute fanboy :lol: he got dropped by a guy with no race wins in a worse car :D I thought Hamilton was a rain master?!

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Exactly that.
Good to hear the praise Hamilton gave Lando Norris.
True class.
And massive congratulations to Lewis Hamilton for getting to the incredible milestone of 100 F1 GP wins.

Dudu

100th win for Lewis. I only tuned in for the last few laps. What an insane finish.

Poor Lando.. gutted for him :(

Crucially Max P2 from nowhere, get in! Also Ferrari podium. Get in Carlos!

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Fair enough.
They could have been more firm with him as it was light rain when he told them to shut up to be fair, they could have told him worse was to come but it was a tough call, by the time Hamilton finished the rain had stopped :(

Balljy

lewis handled it better?! you absolute fanboy :lol: he got dropped by a guy with no race wins in a worse car :D I thought Hamilton was a rain master?!
Lando was off the track 3 times trying to stay ahead before Hamilton went onto inters. Lando wasn't looking like he was going to stay on, whilst Hamilton was looking secure. In fact we know he wasn't going to stay on as he hadn't in the previous 2 laps.

It's experience, but Hamilton was doing a safe pace for the conditions whilst Norris was slipping around.

The Hilton

I agree with you that Norris deserves DOTD for his race before the rain, but this post is a car crash, Hamilton clearly did handle the rain better, whereas Norris had tunnel vision which cost him the win.

hobbers

When they were both on slicks Norris was handling the rain better. The 1 second gap became 3 seconds became 4.

Mercedes handled their driver a lot better than McLaren and that was the difference.

Fully Fledged

Great race. I'm disappointed that it rained as the fight for the lead was building up to be a tight one maybe even going to the flag. I think that even if Norris had come in the dynamic that had been building would have been changed by the conditions caused by the rain. .

Adam-Utd

Just what I said, but apparently Iam a Fanboy :houllier:
no, what you said was hamilton handled it better when that clearly isn’t true. he took less risks and lost time on norris.

if he was so much better in the rain why didn’t he pass him?

Nero

Out of the remaining tracks, does anyone know which ones will favour Mercedes and which ones Red Bull?

Balljy

Mature interview by Norris there. Taking some of the blame, but he will learn from this. Nice to see Alonso come up to him as well. He's definitely driver of the day.

Adam-Utd

When they were both on slicks Norris was handling the rain better. The 1 second gap became 3 seconds became 4.

Mercedes handled their driver a lot better than McLaren and that was the difference.
bingo.

mercedes gave their driver the right info, mclaren took a risk hoping it wouldn’t get worse and it didn’t pay off. if lando knew it would get heavier do you really think he’s staying out? not a chance.

people like to comment on this sport but the majority just don’t have a clue