F1 2021 Season

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
you’re not looking at this from a racing perspective, purely a hamilton. no point talking to people that are so single minded.

at least paul is big enough to admit when he’s wrong.
Pointing out Lando fecking up is biased now? :lol::lol:

There's more to F1 than just driving fast, Norris forgot about it and clearly so did you.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
You can’t just dismiss other peoples opinions as wrong because they’re ‘Lewis fans’ or ‘fanboys’. That’s ridiculous.

Lando and Mclaren lost themselves the win today by not coming in. Both are to blame. Lando should’ve listened. Mclaren should’ve insisted.

Lewis also ignored, but merc insisted and he obliged. That won him the race.

Max and RedBull had very little to lose from 7th and it all to gain and they did just that. Fantastic from them to get in early and it really paid off.

@ArjenIsM3 as a max fan I think you’re probably naturally pessimistic about him winning the title and you’re right, the poster was wrong to say it’s all over, but that is huge for max today. He was probably expecting to drop 15-20 points to Lewis today and dropped 7. With the races coming up, the power of the car and the fact Lewis will take a penalty at some point, max has to be seen as title favourite. A title he should win anyway as he’s been the best driver in the best car this season
Pointing out Lando fecking up is biased now? :lol::lol:
ive already said it’s mclaren to blame, not the driver.

if he didn’t know heavier rain was coming why would be ever pit?

so many hindsight genius here today.

elmo

My point wasn't even about the pit stop, it was about you claiming Lando was a better driver in the rain just because he increased the lead over Lewis when it started raining.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022

Lando isn’t immune from blame. He was asked to pit and told his team to shut up. The team should’ve been stronger and given him all the information that they had and insisted he came into the pits. Lando was fully focused on the win and ended up losing out on a lot of points

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
You can’t just dismiss other peoples opinions as wrong because they’re ‘Lewis fans’ or ‘fanboys’. That’s ridiculous.

Lando and Mclaren lost themselves the win today by not coming in. Both are to blame. Lando should’ve listened. Mclaren should’ve insisted.

Lewis also ignored, but merc insisted and he obliged. That won him the race.

Max and RedBull had very little to lose from 7th and it all to gain and they did just that. Fantastic from them to get in early and it really paid off.

@ArjenIsM3 as a max fan I think you’re probably naturally pessimistic about him winning the title and you’re right, the poster was wrong to say it’s all over, but that is huge for max today. He was probably expecting to drop 15-20 points to Lewis today and dropped 7. With the races coming up, the power of the car and the fact Lewis will take a penalty at some point, max has to be seen as title favourite. A title he should win anyway as he’s been the best driver in the best car this season
Not sure how he is second if has been the best driver in the best car

elmo

And? Saying this has somehow sealed the title for Max is a load of bollocks. Extremely premature at best.
Nah, but Max basically got 18 points when he was looking at around 5 points max till it rained in the last few laps. It's a huge turnaround because nobody expected him to get that many points today.

Adam-Utd

My point wasn't even about the pit stop, it was about you claiming Lando was a better driver in the rain just because he increased the lead over Lewis when it started raining.
beat him in qualifying, pulled a gap on him in the race? I can only go by the evidence.
Lando isn’t immune from blame. He was asked to pit and told his team to shut up. The team should’ve been stronger and given him all the information that they had and insisted he came into the pits. Lando was fully focused on the win and ended up losing out on a lot of points
as I said above, they both ignored the radio as they felt they had the situation covered.

only when mercedes said it will get a lot worse and you must box now did he change his mind. unfortunately mclaren didn’t put that across strongly enough until it was already too late.

no driver in the lead of a gp is going to pit with 3 laps remaining unless it’s absolutely imperative. to blame norris is frankly stupid, he can only see 1 corner at a time.

the team shouldn’t have asked his opinion, they should have told him strongly you MUST pit.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
beat him in qualifying, pulled a gap on him in the race? I can only go by the evidence.

as I said above, they both ignored the radio as they felt they had the situation covered.

only when mercedes said it will get a lot worse and you must box now did he change his mind. unfortunately mclaren didn’t put that across strongly enough until it was already too late.

no driver in the lead of a gp is going to pit with 3 laps remaining unless it’s absolutely imperative. to blame norris is frankly stupid, he can only see 1 corner at a time.

the team shouldn’t have asked his opinion, they should have told him strongly you MUST pit.
Agreed, but he’s also on the track and knows better than anyone in the team what the track is like, Lewis said it’s “slippy as hell”. You have to remember that we don’t hear every radio message. But from what we heard, you’re right, they weren’t strong enough, which I’ve criticised the team for

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
This year has really made me fall in love with F1 again. Other than the farce of Spa, it’s been excellent
I've always watched every race for the past 15 years since I started because I enjoy it, but this season has been more dramatic and exciting than a season I have seen. Absolutely loving this season and the drama it's brought

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

One or two know it all’s by the looks too

dinostar77

What a fantastic race. Gutted for lando, but this experience will stand him in good stead. Remember lewis leading in china at McLaren in his first season or two and running out of tyre tread completely? He learnt from that lando will learn from this.

Congratulations to lewis to get win number 100. Ironically championship wise no rain and finishing 2nd would have been better for him but that's motor racing.

Great drive from Max, this years f1 championship winner in all but name. Its inevitable, hes driving superbly and the car is great. I am a fan of lewis, but even I think max deserves the title this year. Think he will nail the next 3 races with wins and then get over the line to win his maiden WDC. Will be deserved.

Ps. Bottas is utterly useless and massively locked in on a points finish.

Adam-Utd

One or two know it all’s by the looks too
tell me where i’m wrong id love to hear it.
Agreed, but he’s also on the track and knows better than anyone in the team what the track is like, Lewis said it’s “slippy as hell”. You have to remember that we don’t hear every radio message. But from what we heard, you’re right, they weren’t strong enough, which I’ve criticised the team for
of course he knew it was slippery but at that point half the track was damp and the rest was dry. let’s not forget he aced the wet conditions in qualifying, he’s clearly not scared of a little bit of damp conditions.

if it would have stayed like that he would win I have no doubts - unfortunately the full rain burst and it happened. 5 minutes later or earlier and it would have been very different.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I've always watched every race for the past 15 years since I started because I enjoy it, but this season has been more dramatic and exciting than a season I have seen. Absolutely loving this season and the drama it's brought
Very much the same for me as well. Been a memorable season and still a way to go yet.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
How long did Lando stay out after Lewis ? It was more than 1 lap wasn't it ? Why not come in on the next lap. Or have I got it wrong.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
So so disappointed for Lando. He was bold to make the call to stay out, it’s such a hard decision too when you’re in 1st rather than 2nd or further back. I think, however, there is a really really fine line between being bold and being overbearing in F1. I think 80% of the blame must be with his team in the garage, they should have insisted. But Lando also should have been more receptive to what they’re saying rather than being so abruptly dismissive. At the end of the day he doesn’t have the data - which is why his team are mostly at fault and should have insisted. However, it’s much easier for the team to insist when you get the response on the radio like Hamilton’s rather than Lando’s. They still should have but it just heightens the emotions when they all should have stayed calm and relayed the critical information which in the end got lost.

Other than that, the race was magnificent. Exciting, overtakes, dynamic strategies and loads of twists and turns. Hamilton a good race despite a poor start. Mercedes with good pit stops and strategy in the end. Happy for his 100th win, a shame it had to come at the expense of Lando in this way.

The biggest winner today was Max. To come second despite starting at the back, with the engine penalty already taken, and with favourable tracks to the RB coming up, really puts him in a strong position even if he goes to bed 2Nd in the championship tonight. The gods appear on his side, with the rain playing a huge role for him being in second. But you make your own luck and he’s been consistent and was there to take the chance so you have to respect that.

The Hilton

yet again, he ignored it as he was happy with the situation. they didn’t tell him heavier rain was coming.

hamilton also ignored it as he was happy with the situation. the team then told him heavier rain was coming so he boxed.

can you see the small difference? this isn’t on the drivers.
Multiple other drivers made the intermediates call themselves, Sainz did and it won him 3rd, so the drivers saying no made a mistake.

It's an understandable one, but both Lando and his team are to blame in my book. I'm happy to agree to disagree though.

dinostar77

Lando and McClaren made a call, it was wrong on this occasion. However it could have been the right call in other circumstances. Lando could have gone on for the win. Everyone would be criticising Mercedes for throwing away Lewis chance to overtake Norris on the track, by putting inters on lewis car.

Max and RB for example, might have got the call wrong for inters and Max could have found himself out of the points. Its motor racing, it happens. You roll the dice and make a call.

Fluctuation0161

Mercedes more used to being in this position than Mclaren. In recent years at least!

Feel for Lando. So unlucky! Would've loved him to win. Great achievement for Hamilton though.

As an aside, can the Russians control the weather to make exciting races? :lol:

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Multiple other drivers made the intermediates call themselves, Sainz did and it won him 3rd, so the drivers saying no made a mistake.

It's an understandable one, but both Lando and his team are to blame in my book. I'm happy to agree to disagree though.
No you are completely right; it's not like Mercedes had better weathermen giving them the data that McLaren did not. The rain was always predicted to come, and Sochi is known to have heavy downpours at a moment's notice, leaving cars on non-inters/wets basically ice skating on a lap. Even with so few laps to go, you leave yourself in no mans land once the rain hits hard.

Lando didnt deserve to lose a podium, but at the same time should have listened to his team who have all the data there. Really gutted for the lad as I love his driving style and think hes a top guy in general.

Adam-Utd

other drivers weren’t in for the chance of winning the race. a lot easier to take less risks when you have nothing riding on it.

United Hobbit

I'm surprised McLaren didn't insist he come in, as had he done so he'd have got a minimum of second provided no errors at the pit stop, as he and Lewis were so far ahead.

I think what didn't help his cause was he was in amongst the back markers so getting caught up with them, if he'd had a clear track he could have eased off a bit, or come in the lap after Lewis for wet tyres.

I think as well, he got a bit too over excited at the prospect of his first win (understandably) I think had he already won a couple of races he would have come in however this time he was so close to that elusive first win and is young and got caught up in the moment. This is perhaps where his team needed to insist he come in and secure his podium place at least.

Lewis also had a lot more to lose as he's competing for the title, where potentially every point could count. I think if he hadn't been doing so he would have stayed out.

Really hope Norris gets his first win soon.

As others have said this has been a fantastic season, it's so much more interesting without Hamilton and sometimes Bottas just disappearing off into the distance, so far ahead they have a free pit stop with the result confirmed as early as qualifying.

I thought Max would be a future world champion when he won his first race you could see he was a class above. I'm not particularly keen on either him or Lewis but am really enjoying their title fight, it's nice to see McLaren taking a step forward and pushing towards challenging Red Bull and Mercedes.

I hope it goes down to the last race. All too often recently we've had Lewis win the title about 5 races before the end of the season so the last races feel like box ticking.

Also hope next season the new regulations don't result in one team dominating, I was disappointed when they were pushed back to next year but now I'm enjoying it the most I have for a long time. My partner was never interested in it, until we watched drive to survive and he started watching last year when it was rather dull, this year he's really into it as well.

I think Hamilton will win the title, I think his having been in this position before and his extra maturity will be what gets him over the line.

Lewis, while he also has that experience and the team insist

The Hilton

other drivers weren’t in for the chance of winning the race. a lot easier to take less risks when you have nothing riding on it.

You're right about that, but that doesn't stop it from being the wrong call.

As I said, I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
I'm surprised McLaren didn't insist he come in, as had he done so he'd have got a minimum of second provided no errors at the pit stop, as he and Lewis were so far ahead.

I think what didn't help his cause was he was in amongst the back markers so getting caught up with them, if he'd had a clear track he could have eased off a bit, or come in the lap after Lewis for wet tyres.

I think as well, he got a bit too over excited at the prospect of his first win (understandably) I think had he already won a couple of races he would have come in however this time he was so close to that elusive first win and is young and got caught up in the moment. This is perhaps where his team needed to insist he come in and secure his podium place at least.

Lewis also had a lot more to lose as he's competing for the title, where potentially every point could count. I think if he hadn't been doing so he would have stayed out.

Really hope Norris gets his first win soon.

As others have said this has been a fantastic season, it's so much more interesting without Hamilton and sometimes Bottas just disappearing off into the distance, so far ahead they have a free pit stop with the result confirmed as early as qualifying.

I thought Max would be a future world champion when he won his first race you could see he was a class above. I'm not particularly keen on either him or Lewis but am really enjoying their title fight, it's nice to see McLaren taking a step forward and pushing towards challenging Red Bull and Mercedes.

I hope it goes down to the last race. All too often recently we've had Lewis win the title about 5 races before the end of the season so the last races feel like box ticking.

Also hope next season the new regulations don't result in one team dominating, I was disappointed when they were pushed back to next year but now I'm enjoying it the most I have for a long time. My partner was never interested in it, until we watched drive to survive and he started watching last year when it was rather dull, this year he's really into it as well.

I think Hamilton will win the title, I think his having been in this position before and his extra maturity will be what gets him over the line.

Lewis, while he also has that experience and the team insist
I've taken a bit of a breather from this thread and not posted as much lately and based on this post I think I'll keep it like that and just let you speak for me from now on because I agree with every single thing you just said. (I'm a bit worried you had a stroke midway through your last sentence though which might put a fork in these plans, but I'm hoping you're well.) :)

United Hobbit

I've taken a bit of a breather from this thread and not posted as much lately and based on this post I think I'll keep it like that and just let you speak for me from now on because I agree with every single thing you just said. (I'm a bit worried you had a stroke midway through your last sentence though which might put a fork in these plans, but I'm hoping you're well.) :)
Thank you for this :)

Fortunately no stroke just very tired of the daily grind!

I think I must have originally been halfway through writing the post, then got distracted then went back to it but started typing in the middle of what I'd already started :lol:

Wouldn't it be great if the title want down to the last lap of the last race.

Usually I love wet races (bar when they cancel them!) this is the one time I wanted it to hold off for Norris! However I still think Hamilton would have got him anyway.

Adam-Utd

You're right about that, but that doesn't stop it from being the wrong call.

As I said, I think we'll have to agree to disagree here.
obviously it was the wrong call in the end - but not in that moment of time.

You can’t make decisions based on hindsight and only on the information/evidence.

3 laps left with a slightly greasy track, why would you risk putting on inter tyres that would burn up within a lap? 25 seconds for a pit stop and you’d never catch hamilton.

It just so happens that the rain suddenly got a lot heavier 1 lap later. if it hang on for 3 more minutes it’s a well calculated decision.

everybody can sit here after looking smug saying “wrong decision, he bottled it” when it’s never that cut and dry.

Hamilton himself says he didn’t want to pit either but the team made it clear worse was coming. unfortunately mclaren didn’t. they probably hoped the rain would hang on.

The Hilton

obviously it was the wrong call in the end - but not in that moment of time.

You can’t make decisions based on hindsight and only on the information/evidence.

3 laps left with a slightly greasy track, why would you risk putting on inter tyres that would burn up within a lap? 25 seconds for a pit stop and you’d never catch hamilton.

It just so happens that the rain suddenly got a lot heavier 1 lap later. if it hang on for 3 more minutes it’s a well calculated decision.

everybody can sit here after looking smug saying “wrong decision, he bottled it” when it’s never that cut and dry.

Hamilton himself says he didn’t want to pit either but the team made it clear worse was coming. unfortunately mclaren didn’t. they probably hoped the rain would hang on.
Oh my god.

Adam-Utd

Oh my god.
Nothing proper to reply with then? I love people like you that can't even back your own opinions up :lol:

You should get yourself a job of in F1 if everything is so obvious too you :D

slyadams

All the drama letting people forget how useless Bottas was again as a team mate. At the start of the season the big benfit Bottas had was that he'd probably be a bertter wing man than a young Russell. Well I think that's put to bed now, I'm convinced Russell would be able to make Max's life a lot harder when he has to that Bottas does. Should have lost his seat this year, and Merc probably should have swapped them already.

The Hilton

Nothing proper to reply with then? I love people like you that can't even back your own opinions up :lol:

You should get yourself a job of in F1 if everything is so obvious too you :D
My reply is the same as it has been for 3 replies now, agree to disagree. I was just exasperated with your childish desperation to have the last word (and it being an essay each time).

We don't agree on this one, that's OK, reckon you can leave it at that or should I expect another monologue about how weather forecasting doesn't exist?

Adam-Utd

My reply is the same as it has been for 3 replies now, agree to disagree. I was just exasperated with your childish desperation to have the last word (and it being an essay each time).

We don't agree on this one, that's OK, reckon you can leave it at that or should I expect another monologue about how weather forecasting doesn't exist?
I've already agreed it was obviously the wrong decision as we've seen the aftermath - but in that moment of time it wasn't an easy call either way.

The team made the wrong call as the rain got heavier - but on another day it might not have and they'd have won with a giant margin. It's just how luck plays out.

My point was everybody knew the rain was coming, but nobody knew how heavy it was getting. The commentary team even said the rain was stopping about 1 minute earlier - that's how changeable it was.

Anyway it's my last reply on the subject.

The Hilton

I've already agreed it was obviously the wrong decision as we've seen the aftermath - but in that moment of time it wasn't an easy call either way.

The team made the wrong call as the rain got heavier - but on another day it might not have and they'd have won with a giant margin. It's just how luck plays out.

My point was everybody knew the rain was coming, but nobody knew how heavy it was getting. The commentary team even said the rain was stopping about 1 minute earlier - that's how changeable it was.

Anyway it's my last reply on the subject.
Thank god for that

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
This year has really made me fall in love with F1 again. Other than the farce of Spa, it’s been excellent
Same.

Yesterday was as thrilling as I'd seen in a while. The Hamilton-Merc/Verstappen-RB drama etc, it's been exciting.

Gutted for Lando on an individual level.

Doracle

What a fantastic race. Gutted for lando, but this experience will stand him in good stead. Remember lewis leading in china at McLaren in his first season or two and running out of tyre tread completely? He learnt from that lando will learn from this.

Congratulations to lewis to get win number 100. Ironically championship wise no rain and finishing 2nd would have been better for him but that's motor racing.

Great drive from Max, this years f1 championship winner in all but name. Its inevitable, hes driving superbly and the car is great. I am a fan of lewis, but even I think max deserves the title this year. Think he will nail the next 3 races with wins and then get over the line to win his maiden WDC. Will be deserved.

Ps. Bottas is utterly useless and massively locked in on a points finish.
Have to say, I thought this was probably Max’s worse race this season. He overused his hard tyres early on and then was unable to get anything out of the mediums because he was having to desperately conserve his tyres. I didn’t see how far behind LeClerc was when it started raining but my impression was that Max was probably going to finish 8th but for the rain.

That said, he’s had two poor races in a row given his over aggression in Monza, and it hasn’t really cost him. He should win the title relatively comfortably from here with the races coming up.

The Hilton

Have to say, I thought this was probably Max’s worse race this season. He overused his hard tyres early on and then was unable to get anything out of the mediums because he was having to desperately conserve his tyres. I didn’t see how far behind LeClerc was when it started raining but my impression was that Max was probably going to finish 8th but for the rain.

That said, he’s had two poor races in a row given his over aggression in Monza, and it hasn’t really cost him. He should win the title relatively comfortably from here with the races coming up.
Yeah that was my take too - looking at the result makes it seem like a champion's drive but he was bailed out big time by the rain.

Having said that, one of his best drives of the season for me (Baku) ended up with a tyre explosion, so maybe it's balanced out.

It's close to a foregone conclusion now, Hamilton needed to open up a decent lead over Verstappen yesterday to have any chance, with the races coming up suiting what's already the superior car, Max will be cruising without some serious craziness.

redshaw

Yes, Max was 3-4 seconds behind Alonso after Alonso overtook him. Was quite surprising to see him going backwards in 7th on the medium tyre. Should've been a bigger hit on points for him.

I don't think Bottas wanted to be a such a direct influence on the title for Lewis at the back of grid holding up Max so simply left the door open.

ChaddyP

Quick question. Will Lewis take a 4th engine at any point this season. Or is he expected to use only 3.