F1 2021 Season

Fluctuation0161

As Button has pointed out a million times in this race, the drivers go through a graining period after 2/3 laps of quick pace, everyone had that same period. And Max would be telling his team to leave him alone, as would pretty much any driver would when fecked like that. Hell even someone like Ricciardo tells his team to leave him alone when he's screwed.

And fecked him in Monaco, France and Hungary.

Yes. He made it clear he could manage the car and the likeliest outcome was 3rd or 4th. Instead they pitted him which guaranteed 5th.
Too logical. Let the narrative be it is Hamiltons fault and his "lap times have suffered". :lol:

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
Yes. He made it clear he could manage the car and the likeliest outcome was 3rd or 4th. Instead they pitted him which guaranteed 5th.
Once he stayed out he had to stay out. As you say he would have got 5th minimum and could have held 4th (Perez for me would have caught him but I don’t think Le Clerc would have) - by pitting maximum 5th and they also put 6th and 7th in play. An utterly ludicrous call and not the first time they’ve done it this season.

Last edited:

Abizzz

Am I the only one who thinks David Coulthard's voice is nearing Jackie Stewart's with increasing age?

Balljy

The difference between this race and the last one was the team got on the radio to Lewis and told him there was more rain coming in the previous race. The change in conditions meant Hamilton would have pitted anyway given that information.

Here there was no change in conditions rather than a slow drying of the track and it could be argued that Hamilton was on the best tyres for that - there was no new information

Dan_F

Why are people comparing it to last week. Mercedes didn’t tell Lewis to come in today because of the threat of rain.

When the team says there is more rain, you listen. They have more information.

The Hilton

Championship gap will only increase from here with the races coming up. Still thing the rain arriving in Sochi was what sewed the title up for Max.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Why are people comparing it to last week. Mercedes didn’t tell Lewis to come in today because of the threat of rain.

When the team says there is more rain, you listen. They have more information.
They must have had a reason to pit him. Cant imagine they just thought feck it, lets do it for banter.
I remember just before he pitted the commentators did say there was a black cloud coming over the start / finish line. Maybe that swayed them

Doracle

They must have had a reason to pit him. Cant imagine they just thought feck it, lets do it for banter.
I remember just before he pitted the commentators did say there was a black cloud coming over the start / finish line. Maybe that swayed them
Except they didn’t tell him that. They instead accidentally gave him the impression that he wasn’t going to lose any places by making the stop (seemingly from his very relaxed initial reaction and then his fury after seeing where he came out).

Jerch

Get in there Max! With 3 races which are favorable to Red Bull to go he should seal the championship this season. Just hope for no tricks from Hamilton or Merc to try run Max out of one of the races.

Abizzz

Also he was losing time on Perez behind him who had just come in (and everyone else with new tires). I'm thinking the mistake was using his talent to drive old tires in the first place instead of pitting with everyone else and using it to be faster. He really should have come in around the time Max did but it's always easier with hindsight. If rain had come the last 10 laps and all were forced to wets it would have been a different story.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Get in there Max! With 3 races which are favorable to Red Bull to go he should seal the championship this season. Just hope for no tricks from Hamilton or Merc to try run Max out of one of the races.
Honestly.... this isn't dodgems.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
These last 2 races have worked out beautifully for Max. Perfect timing for him and bad decision making by everyone else last race to grab 2nd from nowhere. Today, Lewis then Merc making poor decisions. Plenty of surprises yet but Max favorite.

sewey89

Incorrectly predicted the de Jong transfer 2022
Really bad decision to bring Lewis is. At worst he would’ve been taken by Perez if he’d stayed out and even that’s not a foregone conclusion. Very few we’re getting past late in the race.

Max big favourite for the title now.

This thread has some horrendous posts in it.

sewey89

Need to see the lap by lap but he was 14 seconds clear of Perez and wasn’t losing time when he came in.
I thought the gap was down to about 10s by the time he came in. Chances are Perez would’ve closed in on him. But it’s not a given. Lewis would’ve got at least 4th had he not pitted. Bad call

Dan_F

They don’t just look out the window, they have radars to predict the rain and there was no suggestion that was in their thinking.

Others seem to think not, but I think he’d have been overtaken by Perez regardless at the pace he was going before the pit, let alone after another 10 laps of deg. I thought he was 11 seconds ahead and losing a second a lap. I genuinely don’t think they thought the graining period would hurt him like it did.

I guess the next is race is going to be a huge indication of whether Mercedes have jumped forward in pace. If not, you’ve got to question taking the penalty this week and not on one of the RB favoured tracks.

senorgregster

Last Newbie Standing
Listening to Toto sounds like he would have ended behind Gasly if he didn't pit. If that's the case, Hamilton making the original call to stay out was the only error.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
I thought the gap was down to about 10s by the time he came in. Chances are Perez would’ve closed in on him. But it’s not a given. Lewis would’ve got at least 4th had he not pitted. Bad call
Maybe his tyres would've completely gone. Enormous risk of not finishing vs taking 10+ points.

sewey89

Maybe his tyres would've completely gone. Enormous risk of not finishing vs taking 10+ points.
That’s true. No way of really knowing what would’ve happened but Lewis gave the impression that he felt ok and didn’t want to come in

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
should have pitted him earlier, or not bothered at all.

Ocon managed to finish on the same set of tyres, I think Ham would have been fine also.

Clearly Merc played the over cautious hand and better to be safer than sorry. Yet again hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It seems Mercedes completely ignored the graining phase which seemed odd, everybody who pitted suffered the same thing.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Listening to Toto sounds like he would have ended behind Gasly if he didn't pit. If that's the case, Hamilton making the original call to stay out was the only error.
An error which the team didn't contest that much.
Anyway. It is over now and he lives to fight another day/race.

massi83

should have pitted him earlier, or not bothered at all.

Ocon managed to finish on the same set of tyres, I think Ham would have been fine also.

Clearly Merc played the over cautious hand and better to be safer than sorry. Yet again hindsight is a wonderful thing.

It seems Mercedes completely ignored the graining phase which seemed odd, everybody who pitted suffered the same thing.
Ocon lost 25s to Stroll and 15s to Giovanazzi in 9 laps. So i seriously doubt it.